Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #856
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan View Post
Thank you for sharing your stories, I'm still working my way through the thread, it may take me a while.
I had a thyroidectomy in November 2009 due to 4 benign (thank you Jesus!) tumors and I also had severe Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I'm doing great on 125 mcgs of Synthroid, slightly hyper, but so much better than last summer!
My 8 y/o DD is having similar symptoms to mine (lots of anxiety and I think, panic attacks, constant hunger, of course, leading to weight gain) so I requested that her pediatrician test her thyroid. We got the results last week that her TSH was 71.5, free T4 was 0.70. My levels never got so crazy, it was just the antibodies that were odd and finally helped my docs figure my symptoms out.
Her pediatrician doesn't seem to get the urgency of the situation, she's trying to get us in to see an endo, but right now, they are telling us not until November and the pedi isn't going to do anything in the mean time.
I made my DD an appointment with my GP (he's a family doc) for later this week. I'm sure he'll want to do more blood work (EEEK! I cannot begin to explain how badly she freaks out about needles) but hopefully he will get her started on Synthroid and give her some time to adjust before school starts next month. I wish my DD didn't have to go through thyroid issues, but I am thankful that I had to deal with it first, hopefully I can advocate for her a little better.
I agree. The doctors really need to get her started on synthroid. Just a low dose to start to get her TSH lower and her numbers back in sync. Remind the doctors how difficult it is for someone to concentrate when the thyroid is not working and with school starting it is necesssary to address this now. Good luck!
6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #857
MiceFan
I like this place

Thanks luvmarypoppins and 6789! I got a copy of the lab report this afternoon and saw that her lymphocytes were also above range. I sent a message to my thyroid surgeon about it. He's my favorite physician and one of my favorite people as well. He referred to me as his favorite patient, so we'll see if that's just what he calls everyone or if I hear back soon.
Thanks for the encouragement!
MiceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #858
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post

Micayla - Hope the diet goes well for you. Just curious as to what you are using the ketchup for?? Like a mock barbeque sauce??
Nope, just as ketchup. DH makes me home made french fries.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #859
mrsklamc

I took my last cytomel today. The good thing about going hypo last time, I think, was that I didn't know what I was getting into.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #860
dischick4778
DIS Veteran

Had my radiation pill yesterday afternoon. Feeling ok so far. Mostly tired and having a hard time eating dry foods like bread and cookies. But happy to be eating and drinking normal foods again. I have some discomfort but not a lot. Had a few lemon drops so far today. Thanks again for all the support!!
1986, offsite 1988, offsite 1996, Dixie Landings 1998, Coronado Springs 2001, Caribbean Beach Resort May 2002, Port Orleans French Nov. 2002, Old Key West Aug. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2004, Animal Kingdom Lodge Aug. 2005, Grand Californian Aug. 2005, Old Key West Nov. 2005, Boardwalk Villas Aug. 2006, Saratoga Springs Nov. 2006, Boardwalk Villas July 2007, Old Key West Nov. 2007, Beach Club Villas Nov. 2008, Boardwalk Villas Apr. 2009, All Star Music Aug. 2009, Old Key West June 2011, AKV Kidani Village July 2011, AKV Kidani Village

~Our Disney Family~
dischick4778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #861
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischick4778 View Post
Had my radiation pill yesterday afternoon. Feeling ok so far. Mostly tired and having a hard time eating dry foods like bread and cookies. But happy to be eating and drinking normal foods again. I have some discomfort but not a lot. Had a few lemon drops so far today. Thanks again for all the support!!
I hope everything goes well for you. I hope this doesn't happen but I wanted to warn you about something I wasn't warned about (or didn't remember being warned about)....a week after the pill I lost all sense of taste. It came back after two or three weeks, I just wanted you to be prepared just in case. Like I said, hopefully not, but....
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #862
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

dischick - glad you are hanging in there. I too had the dry swallowing poroblems. I still have them. Npw my biggest problems are bread sometimes and french fries.I didnt have the taste bud sensation loss like Micayla, but I do remember spending an awful lot of time in the bathroom all week. Like every 1/2 hour after I ate I would be in the bathroom. What did you miss the most over the last 2 weeks did you eat now? My rad. onc. also told me stuff cpuld taste like metal but I didnt experience that. I know we are all different, so it will be interesting to read your eperience over the week too.

Micayala - I dont know how you feel, but I am sure its not fun. Wishing you all the best. You are blessed to have your dh cook for you. I cooked for the family the lst week and then it was too much torture for me the 2nd week, so since my dh was away at a conference I told them to order out, make your own lunch etc. It worked out better for me. I also didnt eat when they did. I didnt want to look at it etc. So do you have any meals planned etc?
In May I wanted to try a stuffed pepper, but I didnt do it.

Also wondering if anyones endo ordered a bone density test. Mine wants me to have one. I dont know if its because of the cancer, just age related or vit d stuff etc. She gave me the script and I need to get it done soon.

I am thinking of writing a little pain journal before I go see the surgeon. Also they cancelled my visit for this tues. to aug. 10th but my wound is not draining too bad so that is good, its just the pain. Oh well. I have everyone praying for me, so that is helping for sure.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #863
mrsklamc

I think osteoporosis is listed as a possible side effect of synthroid so we'll probably all get checked eventually. I'm very short so I was always high risk anyway- need to do some weight bearing excercise.

I'm feeling pretty ok so far- not exhausted but just not quite me.

So far I'm mostly eating fresh fruits and vegetables, and unsalted peanut butter and jelly, and DH will make lunch in foil in the evenings until I get sick of that. He made a spaghetti sauce last time that was pretty good, and I think I am going to make some granola this afternoon if I still have energy left.

He or I will give a shot to frying eggplant, too- neither of us has ever had it.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #864
dischick4778
DIS Veteran

Part of the problem is I'm Italian, so a lot of the foods I missed involve bread. And it's just not working out for me yet. Lol. I tried to have some bread with sauce last night and a small piece of pizza today. The taste is there, but the bread and pizza dough felt so dry. Also, because of all the water I'm drinking to flush out the rad, I'm not really hungry. But I start my synthroid tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to having more energy.

mrsklamc - you are very lucky to have your dh to help with cooking. Luckily I had some energy throughout the prep process and was able to cook for myself. My dh does not cook and I call him every day to make sure he has ordered food or eaten something for the day while he's home taking care of our son.

Some good news to share ot - my little boy is 6 months old, weighs 15 lbs and is 27 inches long. He had his Dr visit today which dad took him to and dh nearly cried when they gave the baby his shots. I'm sorry I missed it but it made my dh feel really useful, so I'm glad he was able to have that experience since I usually take care of all that stuff.
1986, offsite 1988, offsite 1996, Dixie Landings 1998, Coronado Springs 2001, Caribbean Beach Resort May 2002, Port Orleans French Nov. 2002, Old Key West Aug. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2004, Animal Kingdom Lodge Aug. 2005, Grand Californian Aug. 2005, Old Key West Nov. 2005, Boardwalk Villas Aug. 2006, Saratoga Springs Nov. 2006, Boardwalk Villas July 2007, Old Key West Nov. 2007, Beach Club Villas Nov. 2008, Boardwalk Villas Apr. 2009, All Star Music Aug. 2009, Old Key West June 2011, AKV Kidani Village July 2011, AKV Kidani Village

~Our Disney Family~
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #865
mrsklamc

Dischick- I'm glad your DH got to have that experience too...wanted you guys to know if you use a stovetop popcorn popper with oil (ours is called a whirley pop) it tastes more like buttered popcorn.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #866
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

dischick - just wondering how you are doing? You are in the home stretch, hmm, I am having visions of Belmont raceway. (sorry, I have a weird sense of humor). I have never even been there, but only stuck in the traffic on race day once going to NJ. Hang in there.

Micayla - how goes the diet? I also had the idea of grilling myself a little shish ke bob type thing with the meat and veg etc. but that didnt work out.

I am doing o.k. We will see what the surgeon says next week. In the meantime this upcoming week I will kill some time and go to the dentist, get the bone density test and throw in a mammogram whule I am at it. Next its the eye dr. appot. to make and my reg. dr. who I avoid like the plague.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #867
mrsklamc

Diet is going ok. Today is the first day that I am craving something I can't have (day 5 of 17.) I am surprised I still feel so good; it must be the TSH that makes you feel so awful if the drugs are all gone by now? Kinda wish I hadn't taken off work so early.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #868
dischick4778
DIS Veteran

luvmarypoppins - Thanks for checking in. Synthroid is a wonder, didn't realize what I was missing until I started taking it. LOL. However, I want my taste and saliva back! Eating is such a pain still. Nothing tastes good, everything is dry, and not much agrees with my stomach. How long does this last?! After the LID I am ready for real food mentally, but everytime I eat I wish I hadn't. Is the upset stomach more from the radiation or the adjustment back to normal foods after the LID? Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy! I do need a dentist visit myself, thanks for the reminder.

~Our Disney Family~
Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #869
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

dischick - I am glad the synthroid is helping. I think I started at like 150 or 175 but they uped it to 200. I am hyper to say the least and any little thing sets me off and makes me cry. My dh asked the endo to lower it, she said no as they like to keep the cancer patients high. So they must live with me, heah I gotta live with the cancer.

Yeah I felt like you did all week and I always ran to the bathroom a little after I ate. I think it lasted about 10 days. I think the radiation does a number on your digestive system. Even this May when I had just the tracer for the scan which was about 5 mci, somewhere around there. They said lst the pill then the next 2 days I had to take milk of magnesia. I said, why must I do this? They said we dont want any of the radiation remaining in your digestive system, then on the 3rd day I had the scan. I am glad so far next year all I have is the 2 thyrogen shots and the blood test.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #870
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischick4778 View Post
luvmarypoppins - Thanks for checking in. Synthroid is a wonder, didn't realize what I was missing until I started taking it. LOL. However, I want my taste and saliva back! Eating is such a pain still. Nothing tastes good, everything is dry, and not much agrees with my stomach. How long does this last?! After the LID I am ready for real food mentally, but everytime I eat I wish I hadn't. Is the upset stomach more from the radiation or the adjustment back to normal foods after the LID? Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy! I do need a dentist visit myself, thanks for the reminder.
I think the upset stomach is due to the radiation, because I was upset for a few days and I wasn't allowed to go back on a regular diet for a week. I lost my taste about that same day and it was gone for a couple of weeks. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: