Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #811
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty86 View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words. I know worrying doesn't help anything (it actually makes things worse!) so I'm going to keep telling myself that things will be ok! I hope your daughter starts feeling 100% soon!
Hey Ashley - have you seen your Endo yet? Just checking in...
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #812
hellokitty86
If I didn't wear it myself- I would want my husband to wear it!
DH does call me a toilet paper snob
Did the lovebugs bother you too, like they bothered me??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
Hey Ashley - have you seen your Endo yet? Just checking in...
I couldn't get an appointment until July 23 so I will be anxiously waiting until then!! This is a Dr. that my Mom has seen that she is really impressed with, and apparently is very popular so I guess (hope?) it's worth the wait!

Thanks so much for checking on me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #813
hellokitty86
If I didn't wear it myself- I would want my husband to wear it!
DH does call me a toilet paper snob
Did the lovebugs bother you too, like they bothered me??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Ashley - Welcome. The biopsy is not really bad at all. Dont stress out. I know that is easy to say. I survived the regular biopsys and then had to have a core one on top of that. Heah, it wasnt too bad. I got a dinner at Outback from my dh for being a good patient.

Hoping your endo visit goes well and wishing you all the best. Its good you are on top of this and following through.
I just saw this! Thank you so much for your reassurance and kind words. We will see what the endo recommends at my appointment (2 weeks from today!)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #814
kimbo0569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcissel03 View Post
I just happen to come across this and I am glad I did. I go tomorrow for a thyroid ultrasound. They fear I may have thryoid cancer I have battled cancer four times before and now this just blows.

Does the ultrasound hurt? Is it a lot of pressure on your throat/neck?
Just found this thread and wanted to post...my mom had a biopsy on her thyroid a couple years ago and she was fine. She said it was a bit uncomfortable but it didn't hurt. She did not have to have any surgery, all her endo did (after talking to another friend of mine who told of her experience) was put her on synthroid (or the generic brand of it). Because the surgeon basically said, if they found anything, they would just remove the thyroid or part of it and then put her on the medication. My mom went to her endo (which is also mine as I have hypothyroidism), obviously concerned about the surgery and he said not necessary, they'd eliminate that part altogether and just put her right on the medication.

Talk to your endo when you go in...hope all goes well for you.

CBR - 1992/1993/1995/1997
1999 - GF - honeymoon
2000 -daytrip Epcot- F&W Festival 2001 POFQ 2003 -oldest dd's first day trip to MK/ dinner at OHana
2004 POR
2008 POR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1996562My first TR!
2013 CSR/Food & Wine Anniversary trip
kimbo0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #815
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

I posted this on the community board, but thought I might get a good answer here, too. Here's a copy/paste of my thread:

I have recently ventured from subclinical hypothyroid to hypothyroid. In six months my TSH count went from 4.6 to 10.3. In that same time period I had a hysterectomy (info is pertinent to my question, possibly). I have gained a LOT of weight in that 6 month time period.

I want to know if it is reasonable to expect my weight to drop back into a "normal" weight range. I started going to the gym 4 times a week, and I gained 4lbs. Very discouraging. It wasn't muscle... if it had been muscle my clothes would have fit better.

So, if you are hypothyroid, are you able to maintain a weight that falls into the normal range? Is your doctor happy with your TSH level to fall anywhere into the "normal" range, or is he/she trying to get you closer to what your TSH was in your pre-hypothyroid days?

I appreciate any encouragement (or reality check) that you can offer. I'm so disgusted with myself right now. I've always fought the battle of the bulge, but I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant with my oldest child!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #816
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo0569 View Post
Just found this thread and wanted to post...my mom had a biopsy on her thyroid a couple years ago and she was fine. She said it was a bit uncomfortable but it didn't hurt. She did not have to have any surgery, all her endo did (after talking to another friend of mine who told of her experience) was put her on synthroid (or the generic brand of it). Because the surgeon basically said, if they found anything, they would just remove the thyroid or part of it and then put her on the medication. My mom went to her endo (which is also mine as I have hypothyroidism), obviously concerned about the surgery and he said not necessary, they'd eliminate that part altogether and just put her right on the medication.

Talk to your endo when you go in...hope all goes well for you.
Ok I am very confused by this...if you have thyroid cancer, you still have to have surgery because it spreads.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #817
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizK View Post
I posted this on the community board, but thought I might get a good answer here, too. Here's a copy/paste of my thread:

I have recently ventured from subclinical hypothyroid to hypothyroid. In six months my TSH count went from 4.6 to 10.3. In that same time period I had a hysterectomy (info is pertinent to my question, possibly). I have gained a LOT of weight in that 6 month time period.

I want to know if it is reasonable to expect my weight to drop back into a "normal" weight range. I started going to the gym 4 times a week, and I gained 4lbs. Very discouraging. It wasn't muscle... if it had been muscle my clothes would have fit better.

So, if you are hypothyroid, are you able to maintain a weight that falls into the normal range? Is your doctor happy with your TSH level to fall anywhere into the "normal" range, or is he/she trying to get you closer to what your TSH was in your pre-hypothyroid days?

I appreciate any encouragement (or reality check) that you can offer. I'm so disgusted with myself right now. I've always fought the battle of the bulge, but I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant with my oldest child!

I too have hypothyroidism and have been on meds for it for about 13 years or so. From what I have read here it seems everyone is different when it comes to weight and how it is effecting them. Speaking for myself I have a hell of a time loosing weight but I am also getting older which doesn't help. On weight watchers and riding my bike 45 minutes 5 days a week along with 30 minutes of weights I had to go down to between 1000-1200 calories or 20-22 points to even loose a couple lbs a month. That is just me and I pray you do not have the struggles I have since I have gained large amounts and lost small amounts over and over again over the years.

My doctor lets my TSH level be anywhere in the normal range but the closer the number to being hyper the faster the weight came off for me. The one time my numbers hit the hyperthyroid range I stopped loosing as well and just hit a bad plateau.

HTH Good luck to you it will be a lifetime struggle if you are like me.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #818
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Ok I am very confused by this...if you have thyroid cancer, you still have to have surgery because it spreads.
Depending on size and type of cancer, some endos are choosing to control the growth with medication. Of course, it usually requires more monitoring with the patient require to have frequent ultrasounds and blood work performed.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #819
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
Depending on size and type of cancer, some endos are choosing to control the growth with medication. Of course, it usually requires more monitoring with the patient require to have frequent ultrasounds and blood work performed.
Wow. Learn something new every day. Course I probably didn't know that cause they probably don't give you that option when it's already in your lymph nodes.

I don't think I could do that though. I at least have the hope that my scan will come back clean and I can think of myself as cancer-free. Mentally, I don't think I could deal with just knowing I had cancer and it wasn't coming OUT right away. But everyone handles stuff differently.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #820
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Wow. Learn something new every day. Course I probably didn't know that cause they probably don't give you that option when it's already in your lymph nodes.

I don't think I could do that though. I at least have the hope that my scan will come back clean and I can think of myself as cancer-free. Mentally, I don't think I could deal with just knowing I had cancer and it wasn't coming OUT right away. But everyone handles stuff differently.
Wow, Micayla. I feel the same way as you. Once I found out it was cancer I wanted it out asap, of course as you all know that took a while with all the complications pre surgery no less.

Hmm, maybe christine can coment as to ... is this the new way of drs. thinking?
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #821
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Wow, Micayla. I feel the same way as you. Once I found out it was cancer I wanted it out asap, of course as you all know that took a while with all the complications pre surgery no less.

Hmm, maybe christine can coment as to ... is this the new way of drs. thinking?
No, I can't really. The *only* time I've heard that they are leaving it be is if you have a microcancer, but the only know that if you've had surgery the first time, so some of it has been removed.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with that treatment either. I realize the odds are in your favor, but there have been some noteworthy studies that suggest that the microcancers have actually managed to spread to lymph nodes while still remaining in the microcancer stage. And by microcancer, I mean that the cancer's size is less than 10mm (1cm).

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #822
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
I start the LID on the 27th of this month and will be on it through my scan date of August 13.

I am planning some things to eat but I am fortunate that my DH is very up for cooking things out of the the cookbook. He hates seeing me so miserable and he feels like it gives him a way to help.

They haven't told me yet what next time will be like.
Micayla, suppose you will be pigging out this week pre lid? Wishing you all the best. Last time on the lid I lost 20 lbs, this time I lost 10. And I made sure to pig out before the diet this time too.

I think the rad. onc. told me what was for next time since she knows how difficult the diet is. Need some incentive to get through it I guess. She just told me, I didnt ask. So of course I am tickled to pieces that I only have to go to the hospital 3 times next year for that. They have such a strict routine there. It will be Mon. shot, Tues shot and friday blood test.

Keep us updated when you can.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #823
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by casndan View Post
I had my 6 week follow-up ultrasound today and now I have to go back for another biopsy on Tuesday I thought I was done with that when I had my thyroid removed! I had some lymph nodes that didn't look great or were inflamed or something. Bleh.
Cassie, just wondering how things were going? Wishing you all the best.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #824
dischick4778
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm new to this thread, just found it. Read a bunch of posts and can't believe how many people are dealing with thyroid issues. I just had my thyroid out back on June 25th, I had cancer and it was in the lymph nodes as well. I am currently on the LID which really sucks. I have the cookbook, but much of the food tastes awful. I am making do and eating what does taste ok. This week I am having a scan to find any diseased tissue that may be left and then I will have the radiation pill and spend a week in isolation. I am hoping to have the pill as soon as possible. I cannot wait to get back to normal. This all happened so quickly for me as I never knew I had a thyroid problem. I went to the Dr for a sore throat and came out with thyroid cancer. I hate the fact that I've been out of work and that I don't have the energy to take care of my new baby (5 months old). Also, we had to cancel our Disney trip. So I am not happy about this situation for many reasons.

But I can't believe there are so many others going through this as well. I can't believe I have had moments of feeling sorry for myself when so many others are fighting and dealing with this as well. Best of luck to everyone. And here's to staying positive!
1986, offsite 1988, offsite 1996, Dixie Landings 1998, Coronado Springs 2001, Caribbean Beach Resort May 2002, Port Orleans French Nov. 2002, Old Key West Aug. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2004, Animal Kingdom Lodge Aug. 2005, Grand Californian Aug. 2005, Old Key West Nov. 2005, Boardwalk Villas Aug. 2006, Saratoga Springs Nov. 2006, Boardwalk Villas July 2007, Old Key West Nov. 2007, Beach Club Villas Nov. 2008, Boardwalk Villas Apr. 2009, All Star Music Aug. 2009, Old Key West June 2011, AKV Kidani Village July 2011, AKV Kidani Village

~Our Disney Family~
dischick4778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #825
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischick4778 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this thread, just found it. Read a bunch of posts and can't believe how many people are dealing with thyroid issues. I just had my thyroid out back on June 25th, I had cancer and it was in the lymph nodes as well. I am currently on the LID which really sucks. I have the cookbook, but much of the food tastes awful. I am making do and eating what does taste ok. This week I am having a scan to find any diseased tissue that may be left and then I will have the radiation pill and spend a week in isolation. I am hoping to have the pill as soon as possible. I cannot wait to get back to normal. This all happened so quickly for me as I never knew I had a thyroid problem. I went to the Dr for a sore throat and came out with thyroid cancer. I hate the fact that I've been out of work and that I don't have the energy to take care of my new baby (5 months old). Also, we had to cancel our Disney trip. So I am not happy about this situation for many reasons.

But I can't believe there are so many others going through this as well. I can't believe I have had moments of feeling sorry for myself when so many others are fighting and dealing with this as well. Best of luck to everyone. And here's to staying positive!

Wow--you're story is similar to mine. I had a 6 month old baby, a sore throat (viral), and in-laws on the way. I went to an urgent care in case it was strep and came out knowing that my thyroid gland was asymetrical and on my way for a scan. Turned out to be cancer. That was 15 years ago.

Good luck to you. This is a challenging time for you. I hope you get on your meds soon and keep us posted on your scan!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: