Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #766
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I had cancer, so I haven't had this exact experience, but it's my understanding that with synthroid she should have a pretty normal life once they get her dose adjusted.

She may have to adjust again later in life, but as chronic diseases go, once you get thyroid problems diagnosed and treated, they aren't the worst thing in the world, typically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
No experience either. I just take the syntrhoid for cancer too. Wishing you dd all the best.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
At one point my youngest was being tested for thyroid disease. I found the this site helpful:

http://www.magicfoundation.org/www

I don't imagine there are a lot of support groups since childhood thyroid disease is not common.

Sorry that I couldn't be more help; my best wishes to you and your daughter.
Thank you, that site has been very helpful!

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #767
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Trent Hamm from thesimpledollar.com (a personal finance blog) has written before about having hypothyroidism since birth, too, so maybe if you emailed him he'd respond?

Got a call from my endo's office yesterday- I'll be doing a withdrawal scan, so 4 weeks just cytomel, 2 weeks nothing along w/ the LID. Hope to get a date set next week.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #768
mrsklamc

Hit the berry farm today and picked strawberries, blueberries, and black raspberries. Hopefully when I'm on the LID they will help both with the sweets cravings and...well, they're high in fiber. I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #769
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

O.K. so who has seen the thyroid thread on the cb about the sis and the healthy lifestyle, the pcp doing the care etc???

Hmm, I decided just to read right now and not comment.

So has anyone here changed their lifestyle. Honestly I havent. If I didnt have all the other physical stuff wrong with me I might have tried to exercise more, but now since the surgeon cut the nerve I cant use my L arm from the elbow up barely at all, so its probably less for sure.

I dont eat any differently either. Just the same as I always did. None of my drs. sugeon, endo etc. ever commented about lifestyle and diet etc. Have yours??

Also just curious as to who exactly "manages" your care and what that entails etc. For example I have a "team". Pretty nuch done with the surgeon part. Now I see the endo and rad. onc. about twice a year. The endo does the blood work quarterly and forwards it to the rad. onc. ONLY the rad. onc. decides when I am doing the diet, what type of scan I am having etc.

I guess I see that everyones case is different and everyone has different people managing their care etc. I guess I should be glad I have the 2 of them kind of tag teaming right now.

Do you feel comfortable/happy in how your care/case is managed?
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #770
jennz
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen that thread, might have to check it out.

I am only seeing my endo now, my pcp refers me to her for anything that might impact my meds. I lost function of my parathyroids after my 2nd surgery so that's always tricky w/the meds. I'm almost 20 years post surgery now - for the first 5 years I saw my endo and oncologist.

As far as changing my diet - nothing has ever been said and I'm on my 3rd endo (we move a lot ). I am making healthy changes in my life but that's because I need to lose 50 pounds!

I'm very pleased w/my endo now, I feel that she keeps me informed on everything, always listens to me when I visit.

Mrsklamc - where do you pick the berries at? I want to get some! Sorry you have to go through the withdrawal scan.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #771
mrsklamc

I'm trying like crazy to lose weight and having no luck. 1200 calories a day, and nothing. I have another metabolic disorder too, and I just hit 30, so who knows. The official line is that synthroid doesn't affect weight, but the internet seems to be crawling with women who insist it does.

One thing I did see someone saying online was that synthroid is T4 and you need the T3 like in cytomel to lose weight. I have no idea.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #772
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Well, I got a surprise call from my doctor about my blood work today. Last check done approx 6-8 months ago was ok, TSH was about 4.3. This week's blood work puts it at 10.6. How the heck did it take that kind of nose dive in such a short amount of time??? I have taken my prescribed dose of levothyroxine as I am supposed to.

On the other hand... it sure explains how quickly I'm packing on the weight and why I've been so darn tired all the time. I've had a lot of trouble sleeping since my hysterectomy in Sept, so I assumed that's what was causing the fatigue.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #773
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizK View Post
Well, I got a surprise call from my doctor about my blood work today. Last check done approx 6-8 months ago was ok, TSH was about 4.3. This week's blood work puts it at 10.6. How the heck did it take that kind of nose dive in such a short amount of time??? I have taken my prescribed dose of levothyroxine as I am supposed to.

On the other hand... it sure explains how quickly I'm packing on the weight and why I've been so darn tired all the time. I've had a lot of trouble sleeping since my hysterectomy in Sept, so I assumed that's what was causing the fatigue.
I experienced similar problems until I went on Armour. One of the nurses called to confirm that I was even taking my Synthroid; this happened twice and I still don't know why.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #774
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
I experienced similar problems until I went on Armour. One of the nurses called to confirm that I was even taking my Synthroid; this happened twice and I still don't know why.
That was the first thing she asked me... "are you still taking your prescription." Yep, I rarely forget it. Except today. Today I forgot.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #775
mrsklamc

I have a recurring alarm on my cell phone... 6:30 every day.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #776
es45
DIS Veteran

Just curious: who takes Synthroid, who takes Armour, and who takes Levoxyl, etc? As I mentioned before, I took Synthroid for 20ish years, then added Cytomel about 5 years ago before taking Armour for the first time. I'm wondering what is working best for everyone.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #777
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

I am taking 200 of name brand synthroid. My ins. wont pay for it since I am not getting the generic one. I dont want the generic based on what fillers they may use and the pharmacy maybe switching suppliers etc.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #778
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am taking 200 of name brand synthroid. My ins. wont pay for it since I am not getting the generic one. I dont want the generic based on what fillers they may use and the pharmacy maybe switching suppliers etc.
I can't stand this policy! I would take a generic then when I would get it refilled, it would be a different manufacturer. At times, I could tell a difference and it was rarely in my favor!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #779
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Jumping in to comment on this! My endocrinologist told me NOT to take generic for those very reasons! He said that they vary so much you end up not getting the right dosage! He also told me that if insurance wouldn't pay I should take the RX to walmart because I could pay oop for a lot less!

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #780
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I took Synthroid for about 13 years. I switched to Levoxyl a few years ago due to an allergy to one of the fillers in Synthroid (povidone). I've never noticed a difference between either med. Feel absolutely the same. The Levoxyl is cheaper though!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: