Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #61
kathleena
Because everyone needs a Fairy Godmother
All fairies are friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyeag View Post
I found the latest printout of my labs. It shows my labs from Dec 6 and Nov 9

Nov 9
Free T4 1.20
Free T3 3.28
TSH .03

Dec 6

Free T4 .47 (.7-1.9)
Free T3 1.33 (1.45-3.48)

TSH 23.02 (.49-4.67)
Wow that is a huge difference! I wonder if there was a lab mix up with your results???? I've just never seen or heard of such a big jump before!

The Nov 9th is moderately hyper, and assuming it was the same ranges, your FT 3 and FT 4 weren't out of range yet. That's why they did the uptake.

But everything has tanked on the second one? I'm so sorry - you must feel like cr*p!!!!! They need to get some synthroid into you.

Did they test your antibodies?
Did they say anything at all about the difference in the labs? Suggest that you have a third one maybe?

They need to test the TPO and oh gee the second one escapes me at the moment. They also should test the TSI antibodies - although that test is much more expensive than the other two, so not unless they really suspect you have Graves.

Did they mention nodules or doing a scan? Sorry if you talked about these things before and I forgot.

I'm just !

I had to turn 58, so I did it on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise!

kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #62
kathleena
All fairies are friends!

Oh and good for them for doing both the FT4 and FT3!!!!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #63
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleena View Post
Wow that is a huge difference! I wonder if there was a lab mix up with your results???? I've just never seen or heard of such a big jump before!

The Nov 9th is moderately hyper, and assuming it was the same ranges, your FT 3 and FT 4 weren't out of range yet. That's why they did the uptake.

But everything has tanked on the second one? I'm so sorry - you must feel like cr*p!!!!! They need to get some synthroid into you.

Did they test your antibodies?
Did they say anything at all about the difference in the labs? Suggest that you have a third one maybe?

They need to test the TPO and oh gee the second one escapes me at the moment. They also should test the TSI antibodies - although that test is much more expensive than the other two, so not unless they really suspect you have Graves.

Did they mention nodules or doing a scan? Sorry if you talked about these things before and I forgot.

I'm just !
From what I have been told, everything is negative. No nodules, the antibody was ok, the uptake was fine..... I am to go get another set of labs drawn today. I feel very tired, cold, and FAT. I gained back all 15 pounds thanks to the dining plan and whatever is going on with me. I haven't seen my dr in almost 3 months, I just keep getting calls to go take different tests or labs. I am just really sick of it all.
lyeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #64
kathleena
All fairies are friends!

Quote:
From what I have been told, everything is negative. No nodules, the antibody was ok, the uptake was fine..... I am to go get another set of labs drawn today. I feel very tired, cold, and FAT. I gained back all 15 pounds thanks to the dining plan and whatever is going on with me. I haven't seen my dr in almost 3 months, I just keep getting calls to go take different tests or labs. I am just really sick of it all.

I think you should pressure them about the labs results being so different - I think you shouldn't be charged for at least one of them. I was thinking of this when I was taking my synthroid this am and wondering if the lab may have used the wrong test tube (they have different substances in the tubes depending on the test) or switched your lab results. It just seems wrong to me. When I have a dose change, the doc rechecks me in 6-8 wks as it takes that long to get just a small change. She started me on just .25 synthroid and TSH moved from 3.23 to 2.1 in 8 weeks. And T4 only moved from 1.0 to 1.1.

Even when I was hyper, the docs office always told me - it takes a long time to move TSH and it moves very slowly. That lab - the one with the TSH at 22 and the T4 and T3 correspond to your symptoms. With the first lab, you may not have had any symptoms of hyper yet as your T3 and T4 were normal. I had a really low TSH and no symptoms for 4 months before all the heart palpitations started. All I had was a really HUGE appetite without gaining weight.

Thyroid problems really stink!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #65
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Well, we are military, so I am not paying for any of this. At least there is a bright side! I was put on beta blockers in Nov due to rapid heartbeat. I was losing weight hand over fist and was just so jittery. As soon as the beta blockers kicked in, my weight started to creep up. The dining plan did the rest to my weight.

Hopefully, the labs today will shed some light on what is happening. I can call to get the results tomorrow, or go in and get a print out.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #66
Tazicket
I routinely walk into 1 certain wall at home
Loved by a Pirate Penguin
ACK! I wouldn't ever eat a Mystery Peep!! That's crazy!

Hi! I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism today and stumbled on this thread. My Dr's office called in a prescription for me today and I'll start taking it tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to go back at the end of February to have more blood drawn and checked to see how the meds are working. I'm kind of excited that they know what's wrong with me now and can give me meds to fix it.

Did anybody else with hypo feel starving all the time before going on the regulatory meds? Lately, it seems like I'm always hungry regardless of what I eat. Just wandering if it's related to the thyroid stuff or in my head b/c I've been freaking out wondering what I have for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for the thread OP!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #67
kathleena
All fairies are friends!

Quote:
Well, we are military, so I am not paying for any of this. At least there is a bright side! I was put on beta blockers in Nov due to rapid heartbeat. I was losing weight hand over fist and was just so jittery. As soon as the beta blockers kicked in, my weight started to creep up. The dining plan did the rest to my weight.

Hopefully, the labs today will shed some light on what is happening. I can call to get the results tomorrow, or go in and get a print out.
Oh ya, that is hyper - jittery, palps and weight loss. But the beta blockers are just to control your heart rate nad the palps - they shouldn't affect your weight at all.

I swung back and forth - mild hyper and mild hypo for years.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #68
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Latest lab results

The nurse called today to schedule another round of labs in two weeks.

Yesterday's numbers were: (the ranges are the same as the above post)

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

I asked the nurse about the huge difference in the numbers in the TSH, and she said the dr just thinks it is thyroiditis. The dr is just keeping an eye on the numbers and hoping it is going to resolve itself over time. I sure hope so. It looks like the numbers are going in the right direction.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #69
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

I asked the nurse about the huge difference in the numbers in the TSH, and she said the dr just thinks it is thyroiditis. The dr is just keeping an eye on the numbers and hoping it is going to resolve itself over time. I sure hope so. It looks like the numbers are going in the right direction.
Okay, so now you are going back down. Wow!!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #70
kathleena
All fairies are friends!

Quote:

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

Did he say what kind he thought it was? Is this an endo or an internal medicine. I'm thinking endo because you had mentioned the uptake.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thy...yroiditis.html

Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #71
Fan2CSkr
If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I

Quote:

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

With a TSH level that you were at its amazing you got out of bed in the AM. I remember you were put on the beta blockers but no anti thyroid meds right? I have suffered thyroiditis quite a few times I have/had Graves disease. Whenever I had a bout my hyper symptoms worsened.

Like mentioned already ask for the thyroid antibodies test. I am familiar with situations where a person can have a bout with hyperthyroidism only to become hypo shortly after. In that case it really isnt Graves at all just hyperthyroidism that's cause has yet to be determined.

I hope you are feeling better and do not have to deal with these ups and downs much longer!

Me on the other hand recently had a total thyroidectomy due to uncontrolled Graves and I dont know if I'm coming or going. I have my first blood test since the surgery next week and I am so anxious to see where I am at. Weird to be on synthroid now after taking anti thyroid meds for so many years. If its a possibility I feel hypo/hyper!

All the same, we take our chances
Laughed at by time
Tricked by Circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

-RUSH-
Fan2CSkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #72
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

I am just posting here in support of you all.. I do not have thyroid disease but my daughter survived thyroid cancer, thyroidectomy and lives her life on levoxil. Her doctor changed her meds when the synthroid scare happened a while back.. Anyway, I want to say here, I can only imagine how difficult this is for all of you and please know that we support you in anyway we can with a hug or words of advice..

I am really glad there are some good veteran thyroid people who can talk the lingo for those who need the help... I know enough, but not enough to say too much about levels..

I will say this, know your body, know how you feel on whatever dosage they give you and speak up for what you need... I cannot tell you how many times they have fooled with dd's meds and cause such huge issues....too many to name.. so speak up if you do not think the dosage is correct, you know your own body..

Hugs.

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #73
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan2CSkr View Post
With a TSH level that you were at its amazing you got out of bed in the AM. I remember you were put on the beta blockers but no anti thyroid meds right? I have suffered thyroiditis quite a few times I have/had Graves disease. Whenever I had a bout my hyper symptoms worsened.

Like mentioned already ask for the thyroid antibodies test. I am familiar with situations where a person can have a bout with hyperthyroidism only to become hypo shortly after. In that case it really isnt Graves at all just hyperthyroidism that's cause has yet to be determined.

I hope you are feeling better and do not have to deal with these ups and downs much longer!

Me on the other hand recently had a total thyroidectomy due to uncontrolled Graves and I dont know if I'm coming or going. I have my first blood test since the surgery next week and I am so anxious to see where I am at. Weird to be on synthroid now after taking anti thyroid meds for so many years. If its a possibility I feel hypo/hyper!
I am pretty sure I had the antibody test already in Nov. I had one lab value that came in a few days later than the others that they had to send away for. I don't remember hearing anything about the results....Yes, they did put me on the beta blockers, but nothing else.

I don't know what is happening really. I get the feeling they think it is tied to some viral trigger. ( I had a sinus infection when this all started) When the numbers were really high I just felt like those early weeks of pregnancy when you don't have any energy. Today I am feeling pretty normal. (whatever that is... LOL)

I am just glad so far it isn't anything major. I really feel for you with a thyroidectomy. That is probably my greatest fear. That feeling of being dependent on the meds for the rest of your life and have to constantly be checking for changes. Hugs to you that they get you evened out quickly. We are here for you.

Thanks everyone for helping me sort this out!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #74
Fan2CSkr
If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I

Thyroiditis causes temporary hyperthyroidism, usually followed with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). Thyroiditis is an inflammation of the thyroid gland. There are three types of thyroiditis:

Hashimoto's thyroiditis
subacute granulomatous thyroiditis
silent lymphocytic thyroiditis

I would guess you have subacute granulomatous thyroiditis. It basically translates to a self limited thyroid condition that usually follows an upper respiratory viral infection (YES, could be the sinus infection!) The good news is that 90 to 95% of patients return to normal thyroid function. It sounds to me like you have already progressed to the second phase and actually with your TSH level lowering on your way to becoming Euthyroid (normal thyroid gland function). Laboratory tests in the later phase of disease may show:

*High serum TSH level
*Low serum free T4
You have both.

It sure sounds like it is on its way to resolving itself without any need for medications. I am so pleased that you received proper medical care and testing, consider yourself lucky. Many are not as fortunate. So if I were you I would continue to be diligent with your blood tests track your levels and hope all continues on this predicted path for your dx. I would also ask your doc if you need to stay on the beta-blockers.

I hope with each passing day you continue to feel better! Thank you also for the well wishes.

All the same, we take our chances
Laughed at by time
Tricked by Circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

-RUSH-
Fan2CSkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #75
OKWAnneMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleena View Post
Oh ya, that is hyper - jittery, palps and weight loss. But the beta blockers are just to control your heart rate nad the palps - they shouldn't affect your weight at all.

I swung back and forth - mild hyper and mild hypo for years.

I was just reading Dr. Oz's book (YOU ON A DIET), and he explained that Beta Blockers DO affect weight losss.

When you are taking Beta Blockers, it is very hard to lose weight. I was NOT happy to read that, since I have both a thyroid problem and I take a beta blocker, but it does explain why it is so hard for me to lose weight.
OKWAnneMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: