Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #646
WDWDancer
Recruiting Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
WDWDancer: are your iron and Vitamin D levels okay?
Yep - Vitamin D is excellent (73) and Iron is within the normal range
Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #647
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Thanks for asking. It's just okay. I had an MRI. I have tenosynovitis of the posterior tibial tendonitis. Most people end up getting surgery. I'm back in my walking cast trying to bring the inflammation down. Grrrrr....

Do you mean asking her why she might be choosing Thyrogen and bloodwork over Thyrogen and a scan with bloodwork?

I always ask why they are making the choice they do and what their rationale is and why they wouldn't choose the other option. I'm sure my doctors LOVE me.
Christine - sorry, another newbie question here, since its my lst follow up. So "if" I have to do the diet, scan and then??? follow up blood work when will that be? The bloodwork?

Somehow I have a feeling this is turning into another nightmare for me. I was thinking I would just do the diet and scan, now I have to have blood work too? I am only stressing because we leave for disney on May 18th. So I figure if I start the diet friday April 30th, then the scan would be sat. May14th? and did I remember someone saying something about blood work 5 days later? That would be terrible because that is when I would be in Florida!!! So if that is the time frame we are looking at I am afraid she will put if off for another 2 weeks etc. I did go out yest. and by alot of stuff for the diet, but its mostly stuff we would eat or could eat anyway or that would keep etc.
Why is this stressing me out so much?
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #648
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Grave's Disease

I just found out earlier this week that I have Grave's Disease. I went for a physical last month and mentioned that I was feeling really tired. I didn't think much of it, figured they would add blood test to see if I was anemic. Thankfully, my doctor also added thyroid blood test. I was told the results showed my TSH was low and free T4 was high, so I should see an endocrinologist to check for hyperthyroidism. I went to the endo. two weeks later and she pointed out that my hands have a slight tremor that I never noticed before. My heart rate was high, so I was given a script. for Propanolol. I was told to take half a pill at bedtime to start and then increase to whole pill. The pills are 10 mg, small & difficult to cut in half, but I did do it. The endo. also ordered more blood work to compare numbers. She said based on the numbers, I should have a thyroid uptake and scan. I did that last week and got a call this Tuesday saying I have Grave's Disease. I was given a script. for Methimazole to take at bedtime along w/the Propanolol. Right now I am taking 1 10 mg pill and she said I will have to start taking 2 after this week. I picked up a book by Mary J. Shomon to learn more about Grave's Disease. I am trying to to find out all I can. As far as I know, no one in my family has this. I am open to comments/suggestions from all. Thanks and be well.

BLTtinkerbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #649
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well I am back from the radiation oncologist. She said I will have the horrid LID (she really wanted me to start it yesterday) and then the thyrogen shots (I asked her for zofran this time as she usually just does compazine, I told her that is useless on me) and I will get the scan on May 14th I think. She will immediately discuss the results with me, but then the blood test results I will be on vacation, so she said she would call etc. She says the scan could be normal but the blood tests could be abnormal??? and then she would have to do something else to figure out where the cancer was etc???

Does this sound about right???

The only good thing she said was that next year it will only be 2 thyrogen shots and the blood test.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #650
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well I am back from the radiation oncologist. She said I will have the horrid LID (she really wanted me to start it yesterday) and then the thyrogen shots (I asked her for zofran this time as she usually just does compazine, I told her that is useless on me) and I will get the scan on May 14th I think. She will immediately discuss the results with me, but then the blood test results I will be on vacation, so she said she would call etc. She says the scan could be normal but the blood tests could be abnormal??? and then she would have to do something else to figure out where the cancer was etc???

Does this sound about right???

The only good thing she said was that next year it will only be 2 thyrogen shots and the blood test.

Sounds right.

The Tg blood test is the most sensitive marker for residual or recurring thyroid cancer. Often times, people will have elevated Tg but their scan will appear negative or "clean". What that means is that there is thyroid cancer there but it isn't taking up iodine well if at all. That's another matter to deal with...

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #651
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
luvmarypoppins: Just wanted you to know that I have a scan scheduled for May 14th too. Mine is at 2 PM. Here's hoping that we both get good results.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #652
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWDancer View Post
Yep - Vitamin D is excellent (73) and Iron is within the normal range
WDWDancer: Sorry that I can't be much help as that was my only thought as to a potential problem. I hope you find the answers soon; I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #653
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

How long do you have to be off your synthroid for a follow up scan?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #654
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
How long do you have to be off your synthroid for a follow up scan?
4-6 weeks.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #655
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

And you have to be off the other one- I can't think of what it's called- for 2 weeks? The other pill, not the shots?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #656
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
And you have to be off the other one- I can't think of what it's called- for 2 weeks? The other pill, not the shots?
I think you mean Cytomel. Correct; you have to be off of it 2 weeks.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #657
Justin the Hook
No, I am your Father!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
I just found out earlier this week that I have Grave's Disease. I went for a physical last month and mentioned that I was feeling really tired. I didn't think much of it, figured they would add blood test to see if I was anemic. Thankfully, my doctor also added thyroid blood test. I was told the results showed my TSH was low and free T4 was high, so I should see an endocrinologist to check for hyperthyroidism. I went to the endo. two weeks later and she pointed out that my hands have a slight tremor that I never noticed before. My heart rate was high, so I was given a script. for Propanolol. I was told to take half a pill at bedtime to start and then increase to whole pill. The pills are 10 mg, small & difficult to cut in half, but I did do it. The endo. also ordered more blood work to compare numbers. She said based on the numbers, I should have a thyroid uptake and scan. I did that last week and got a call this Tuesday saying I have Grave's Disease. I was given a script. for Methimazole to take at bedtime along w/the Propanolol. Right now I am taking 1 10 mg pill and she said I will have to start taking 2 after this week. I picked up a book by Mary J. Shomon to learn more about Grave's Disease. I am trying to to find out all I can. As far as I know, no one in my family has this. I am open to comments/suggestions from all. Thanks and be well.

My wife just had her Thyroid removed back in December and this was the course of action she took also. She had Graves and the irregular heart beat and the constant tiredness. Her resting heart rate was about 115 BPM. She ended up with all the heart meds and they worked for almost 3 years to get her leveled with medication and it started not to work, which was the only reason they had it removed. Good luck with everything, standing next to her through this whole thing has taught me a lot about this problem!

Justin the Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #658
Earning My Ears

How timely that I found this thread. I took DS (16) to the doctor and his thyroid is enlarged. The Dr. ran blood tests and prescribed the ultrasound. Blood test cam back and DS TSH was in the 600 range. Then she ran a full blood work up and everything is out of wack. The nurse started reading off some of the results; phosphates, vitamin D and then she got to some items she was not familiar with and stopped. I was told the readings were 'grossly abnormal'. I am waiting for results for DS thyroid ultrasound. I saw them measure something...hoping it was a gland but I do not know how to read what she was doing. I did seem to see something on the screen from a couple of angles. Technician said 'good luck' as we left. I am holding back from reading too much into that...I could drive myself insane if I did. We are scheduled for a visit to the Endo. next week. I am trying not to borrow trouble but I will be glad when I know something more.
6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #659
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789 View Post
How timely that I found this thread. I took DS (16) to the doctor and his thyroid is enlarged. The Dr. ran blood tests and prescribed the ultrasound. Blood test cam back and DS TSH was in the 600 range. Then she ran a full blood work up and everything is out of wack. The nurse started reading off some of the results; phosphates, vitamin D and then she got to some items she was not familiar with and stopped. I was told the readings were 'grossly abnormal'. I am waiting for results for DS thyroid ultrasound. I saw them measure something...hoping it was a gland but I do not know how to read what she was doing. I did seem to see something on the screen from a couple of angles. Technician said 'good luck' as we left. I am holding back from reading too much into that...I could drive myself insane if I did. We are scheduled for a visit to the Endo. next week. I am trying not to borrow trouble but I will be glad when I know something more.
Wishing your ds all the best. I am sure the waiting is hard.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #660
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
luvmarypoppins: Just wanted you to know that I have a scan scheduled for May 14th too. Mine is at 2 PM. Here's hoping that we both get good results.
Wishing you all the best too!! I saw your locaton. Some folks we know live in Mooresville and another couple we know just moved to Rocky Mountian? I have to ask her sister if that is the correct town.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: