Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #601
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Funny you should ask. After having almost no trouble at all, this week has been miserable emotionally and I think exhuastion is to blame as I cannot seem to sleep.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #602
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Funny you should ask. After having almost no trouble at all, this week has been miserable emotionally and I think exhuastion is to blame as I cannot seem to sleep.
Like Christine, the sleep meds don't work for me; often, they make the situation worse.

Keeping my fingers crossed that a good sleep will come for both of us tonight.

Last edited by es45; 03-11-2010 at 03:29 PM.
es45 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #603
mrsklamc

I was VERY anxious before my surgery and got some ambien. I took one the night before last and it did help, but I didn't take it last night.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #604
kathleena
Because everyone needs a Fairy Godmother
All fairies are friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know offhand what they state as the cost of RAI? (i.e. my surgery pre-insurance was listed at 30 or 40 thousand dollars.)

I'm wondering what the cost of a scan is because I am thinking of going with a high deductible health plan. I know it sounds crazy but I think I will be spending quite a bit out of pocket anyway and there IS an out of pocket maximum that we do have the ability to cover.
That sounds crazy. My DH had pituitary surgery by one of the top surgeons in the world and the hospital bills were around $20,000 and the doc himself was $6,000. I would just doubt something as relatively common as RAI would be more than brain surgery. Or are you saying that thyroid surgery is that expensive? Still sounds like a lot to me!

I had to turn 58, so I did it on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise!

Last edited by kathleena; 03-13-2010 at 08:09 PM.
kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #605
kathleena
All fairies are friends!

To everyone posting about sleep etc I had always thought my awful sleep patterns were a result of menopause and thyroid issues but have recently found out that they are a result of low levels of serotonin.

Apparently, since somewhere around my late 40s I have probably had dropping levels of serotonin and then in times of stress it drops them even more (because they get used up faster) and I end up with more anxiety, less sleep and a host of other issues that I also thought were menopause related.

So now on meds for serotonin (translated - something like Prozac) a very low dose, and within two nights I"m sleeping 8-9 hours almost straight through, just one wake-up last night and I got right back to sleep.

This has happened off and on for 10 years and I tried several different sleep meds like Ambien with no relief. Hoping this will do more for me.

Anyway - just trying to say - it may not be the thyroid doing it!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #606
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleena View Post
That sounds crazy. My DH had pituitary surgery by one of the top surgeons in the world and the hospital bills were around $20,000 and the doc himself was $6,000. I would just doubt something as relatively common as RAI would be more than brain surgery. Or are you saying that thyroid surgery is that expensive? Still sounds like a lot to me!
Is this after your insurance paid? I worked in a hospital and brain surgery for $26,000 is unheard of where I live. I would say it would be more like $260,000 around here if not more.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #607
ceemys
DIS Veteran

I just had my level checked again...after 6 weeks of being on 100mcg, my level is still super low at 18! SO frustrating.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #608
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleena View Post
I thought I'd post the price of my recent surgery in light of this line of discussion. I had a total thyroidectomy in February with a 1 night hospital stay in the Philadelphia suburbs. The hospital cost was $9500 and the surgeon's cost was $2450. Since I have insurance (Aetna) they paid their "agreed upon rate" which was $7300 and $900. I haven't seen anything from the anesthesiologist yet, but I'm pretty sure that will be an additional billing.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #609
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Well this week I went for a sonogram. All I can say is with a left neck dissection a sonorgram on that side really hurts!!

Sat. I went for the blood test and I think in 2 weeks I have an endo visit. So I am praying she will say the levels are not measurable for the thyroglobulin.

I see the rad. onc. in april. I guess we will discuss the lid and scan for may. Oh what Fun!!

I nvever see those bills. I did get one by mistake for surgery #3 from ent surgeon #2 who saved my life when the jugular vein burst. I think he got like around $1200 for 3 hours of work. But then saving my life...that was priceless. I have so much to thank God for.

Just wondering, how often do you get a sonogram. I think she said the blood tests will always be every 3 months?
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #610
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post

Just wondering, how often do you get a sonogram. I think she said the blood tests will always be every 3 months?
Yearly sonogram.

Thyroglobulin two times per year.

TSH two times per year.

TSH used to be 4 times per year but I've been SOO stable for many years now that we only do it twice a year.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #611
mrsklamc

In addition to the thyroidectomy I had a radical neck dissection; the surgery itself took about 5 hours. We didn't pay $40k, just our deductble of 3k.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #612
kathleena
All fairies are friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Is this after your insurance paid? I worked in a hospital and brain surgery for $26,000 is unheard of where I live. I would say it would be more like $260,000 around here if not more.
It was the billed rate from the hospital and the doctor, before the insurance adjusted for their negotiated rate. I think their rate to the doc ended up being around $1700, but I can't remember the hospital total. We paid far less than that as we had an annual max of $6000 for the family. Oh and I had a typo, the hospital billed for $28,000.

When we had the consultation with the doc, his assistant had given us an estimate of $50,000. The surgery was at Mass General in Boston. Like I said - pituitary surgery - he is a neurosurgeon and all he does is pituitary. There was only one night in the hospital.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #613
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

Hi! I'm new here. I am having a partial thyroidectomy in a couple of weeks. I If it is found to be cancer, they are going back in to remove the other half. I have other health issues (kidney failure and an autoimmune), so the doctor thought this would be less traumatic for me. I'm really scared.

Thanks to mrsklamac for telling me about this board.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #614
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

O.K. This might be a dumb question, but heah I plead thy ca newbie status, I am still learning I guess.

If I just had the sonogram (2nd one, since I had one in Aug. I think)

Would the sonogram give an accurate picture if the remnant is still there or since its been a year since the RAI next month would the sonogram show if the remnant was gone

and which is the better indicator, I am assuming the thyroglobulin with hopefully unmeasurable readings.

I havent heard from my endo, but I know she said last time, oh I didnt call you because I see you were coming in etc. I guess I should ask her how she disseminates information whether good or bad etc. I dont iknow whats worse, hearing bad news in person or over the phone if I ever had to deal with that again. I did both.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #615
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmmom95 View Post
Hi! I'm new here. I am having a partial thyroidectomy in a couple of weeks. I If it is found to be cancer, they are going back in to remove the other half. I have other health issues (kidney failure and an autoimmune), so the doctor thought this would be less traumatic for me. I'm really scared.

Thanks to mrsklamac for telling me about this board.
It sounds like your case is very unique because of your other health issues. They did a biopsy and felt it was inconclusive?

I don't know about your other health issues, but if they didn't exist, I'd say go ahead and have the total thyroidectomy done. It's really not too bad. The right half of my thyroid looked 'perfect' and my doctor said it used to be that they would have left it in, but that they found that if one half of the thyroid was cancerous the other side usually got around to being that way, too. I'm not a doctor at all, but I guess I'm just saying...unless you are 100% comfortable with that course of treatment, I would suggest getting a second opinion. I know nothing about your other health conditions but I know if I had it to do over again I would fight my first endocrinologist tooth and nail, instead of giving in like I did to treatment that wasn't really what I wanted to do.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: