Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #571
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I did love the new doc. She was a bit more frank with me- For example no one had told me this has a 20-30 percent recurrence rate or that sometimes lymph nodes are resistant to RAI. She moved my scan up to August rather than December. All in all, I was quite pleased.

Another thing she mentioned that no one else has- whatever the thing in your blood is that is a 'cancer marker'- can't remember the terminology- thyroglobulin maybe? It was 127. She said they like it to be 2. Is that really, really high compared to what you guys have seen?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #572
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
Hi all! I wonder why I haven't seen this thread! I have had Hypothyroid problems for about 6 years now. I used to be able to keep very slender and I used to have thick long hair. Unfortunately, my hair sucks!! It is stringy, breaks off super easy and just falls out. I struggle to keep the weight down. My levels fluxuate so much. I have been on a dosage as low as 50mcg to 112 and then alternating, now I am on 100mcg and will go back again in 3 more weeks.

I am so glad to find others that are as frustrated like me. I haven't found anything to help with my hair.
I have the same issues as you plus super dry skin. It is even more frustrating that some people with hypothyroid have no problems with weight and/or hair thinning and dry. My aunt has hypothyroidism with no weight problems and tells me it should not be an issue since it isn't for her.

I have tried different things with my hair from Nioxin to store brand products for thinning hair. Nioxin did nothing but the store brands helped give it body which makes it look fuller and like I have more hair.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #573
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I did love the new doc. She was a bit more frank with me- For example no one had told me this has a 20-30 percent recurrence rate or that sometimes lymph nodes are resistant to RAI. She moved my scan up to August rather than December. All in all, I was quite pleased.

Another thing she mentioned that no one else has- whatever the thing in your blood is that is a 'cancer marker'- can't remember the terminology- thyroglobulin maybe? It was 127. She said they like it to be 2. Is that really, really high compared to what you guys have seen?
Glad to hear your appointment went well.

Yes 127 is really high. But you won't get a true reading until at least 6 months after your RAI treatment. The treatment is still doing its job in your thyroid cells.

I've always had a very low thyroglobulin, even right after surgery many years ago. It has stayed undetectable. Everything I've heard is that they like it to be "undetectable." They will accept anything under 2 and do nothing. Once it starts going above that, they know that they are dealing with residual disease.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #574
mrsklamc

I may not understand exactly how this marker works, but I don't understand why they just don't screen every 20-something woman for it at least. She said I'd probably had this for 20 years!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #575
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
I have the same issues as you plus super dry skin. It is even more frustrating that some people with hypothyroid have no problems with weight and/or hair thinning and dry. My aunt has hypothyroidism with no weight problems and tells me it should not be an issue since it isn't for her.

I have tried different things with my hair from Nioxin to store brand products for thinning hair. Nioxin did nothing but the store brands helped give it body which makes it look fuller and like I have more hair.
I don't have hypothyroidism but I have lost my thyroid due to cancer. Throughout the years I have been on a roller coaster with my TSH and hormone levels. None of it has ever caused me to put on an excessive amount of weight or anything else. I have superdry skin but I've always had that even when I had a "good" thyroid gland. My son also has that so I think it's just us.

I did have "hair" problems and fatigue problems and I blamed my thyroid or synthetic hormones for so long. Turned out I had a very subtle case of iron deficiency. I am also deficient in Vitamin D. When I started working on the iron, my hair came back very thick. I don't have or never had anemia, just low iron. I am now working on the Vitamin D but it is a slow process.

My point of this post is that we can't blame the thyroid for everything. If your levels are stable, it's most like not the culprit. It is very easy to want to blame it because every magazine, newspaper, or post on the DIS will tell you it's your thyroid. You need to investigate many things before you can decide on that.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 02-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #576
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I don't have hypothyroidism but I have lost my thyroid due to cancer. Throughout the years I have been on a roller coaster with my TSH and hormone levels. None of it has ever caused me to put on an excessive amount of weight or anything else. I have superdry skin but I've always had that even when I had a "good" thyroid gland. My son also has that so I think it's just us.

I did have "hair" problems and fatigue problems and I blamed my thyroid or synthetic hormones for so long. Turned out I had a very subtle case of iron deficiency. I am also deficient in Vitamin D. When I started working on the iron, my hair came back very thick. I don't have or never had anemia, just low iron. I am now working on the Vitamin D but it is a slow process.

My point of this post is that we can't blame the thyroid for everything. If your levels are stable, it's most like not the culprit. It is very easy to want to blame it because every magazine, newspaper, or post on the DIS will tell you it's your thyroid. You need to investigate many things before you can decide on that.
Very true. I have had a horrible time losing weight, and the new endo said "Of course you do. You are very petite and could function well on 1200 calories a day, which is very difficult to do in our society."
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #577
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:

I am glad you liked the endo. Wow, that number does seem high. I think mine was practically undetectable after the RAI. But my scan showed a remenant. I think mine will definetely come back since its so agressive. The columnar cells are 3 times larger than reg. ones. I actually saw a picture of my cancer, oh what fun! Its just a matter of when. I already talked to the dr. about the surgical plan. Yeah, his np told me it could come resistant too. Mine will come back in the R side since all my L side lymph nodes were taken out already.

Was your scan moved up at her request? So it doesnt have to be exactly 1 year? Mine will actually be 13 months when it gets done in May.

Its good you got all your questions answered.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #578
Christine

Quote:
I may not understand exactly how this marker works, but I don't understand why they just don't screen every 20-something woman for it at least. She said I'd probably had this for 20 years!
If you have thyroid cells, they produce a protein called thyroglobulin. Thyroglobulin is the marker they are measuring.

If you have your thyroid gland removed and then, further, have RAI done to it, you should have no thyroid cells so, ergo, no thyroglobulin.

The marker is totally unreliable in a normal person with a thyroid gland because they WILL produce thyroglobulin. Normal thyroid cells, as well as thyroid cancer cells produce thyroglobulin.

It is a very good diagnostic tool in thyroid cancer patients who have had both a total thyroidectomy and RAI. It is not a reliable marker if you have only had a lumpectomy or partial thyroidectomy or if you have not had RAI. Because, theoretically, if you don't do all these things, you WILL have thyroid cells left that produce thyroglobulin.

Does that help?

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #579
mrsklamc

Quote:
If you have thyroid cells, they produce a protein called thyroglobulin. Thyroglobulin is the marker they are measuring.

If you have your thyroid gland removed and then, further, have RAI done to it, you should have no thyroid cells so, ergo, no thyroglobulin.

The marker is totally unreliable in a normal person with a thyroid gland because they WILL produce thyroglobulin. Normal thyroid cells, as well as thyroid cancer cells produce thyroglobulin.

It is a very good diagnostic tool in thyroid cancer patients who have had both a total thyroidectomy and RAI. It is not a reliable marker if you have only had a lumpectomy or partial thyroidectomy or if you have not had RAI. Because, theoretically, if you don't do all these things, you WILL have thyroid cells left that produce thyroglobulin.

Does that help?
Yes, thank you! That makes so much more sense.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #580
es45
DIS Veteran

Hi, all,

I just found this thread after spending so much time at the DCL and DVC threads, as well as others while planning vacations for the last couple of years. Amazing that I haven't seen it until today! I had thyroid cancer 20 years ago, with a recurrence 10 years ago. I had a biopsy this October for a growth detected during my regular neck ultrasounds: it was inconclusive so I'm just waiting for my next scan in April.

How great to find yet another helpful thread on the DIS

Last edited by es45; 02-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.
es45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #581
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by es45 View Post
Hi, all,

I just found this thread after spending so much time at the DCL and DVC threads, as well as others while planning vacations for the last couple of years. Amazing that I haven't seen it until today! I had thyroid cancer 20 years ago, with a recurrence 10 years ago. I had a biopsy this October for a growth detected during my regular neck ultrasounds: it was inconclusive so I'm just waiting for my next scan in April.

How great to find yet another helpful thread on the DIS

es45--Welcome!

Out of curiosity, can you tell me what your initial treatment was 20 years ago. I am always curious about the events surrounding a recurrence so far after initial diagnosis.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #582
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
es45--Welcome!

Out of curiosity, can you tell me what your initial treatment was 20 years ago. I am always curious about the events surrounding a recurrence so far after initial diagnosis.
I was diagnosed with papillary cancer and had a near-total thyroidectomy. At that time I was told that I would just take "1 little pill every day and not have to worry about this again." I don't think a good job with thyroid suppression was done on my part or my doctors so I think that is why it recurred 10 years later.

Last edited by es45; 02-26-2010 at 01:14 PM.
es45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #583
Christine

Quote:
I was diagnosed with papillary cancer and had a near-total thyroidectomy. At that time I was told that I would just take "1 little pill every day and not have to worry about this again." I don't think a good job with thyroid suppression was done on my part or my doctors so I think that is why it recurred 10 years later.

Thanks, I always like to know.

I was told that a near-total left a larger chance for recurrence, especially with multiple tumors (always some thyroid cancer in the remaining tissue). It sounds like you did not have RAI either?

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #584
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, I always like to know.

I was told that a near-total left a larger chance for recurrence, especially with multiple tumors (always some thyroid cancer in the remaining tissue). It sounds like you did not have RAI either?
No, not until 10 years later for the recurrence. Incidentally, I had 3 tumors before the surgery, so that fits what you were told too.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #585
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Quote:
That's basically what the surgeon said to me yesterday (see post above). Can you talk a little about what you mean about not doing a good job of supression? You have me much more freaked out than I was yesterday!!
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: