Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #556
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Ok ladies- what do you think?

I have been very excited to get into the much-loved local endocrinologist. Everyone who goes to her loves her (including someone on this very thread.)

I have an acquaintance who is participating in medical trials- she's been very overweight and they've put her on a new diabetic drug and the pounds have just been falling off. The dr. she sees is the head of endocrinology at a major hospital here and has excellent credentials. She says he isn't taking new patients off the street but she can get me in to see him. What do you think? Should I just meet with both of them and see what they say/who I like best?
I would meet with both of them. I am assuming they both take your insurance? I was given the names of about 4 or 5 endos from the large univ. hosp. group. When I called to make an appt. they said 2 wouldnt even see me (too many patients and too long a wait - months), I had the opportunity to also look them up with all info, on the hospital website. I chose a female who was new to the group. I still had to wait for her a while too. They told me even if I didnt like her I could NOT switch to one of the other ones since their policy is that the doctor has to "learn" your case etc.

On another note. I went to the ent surgeon for a one year check up. I still now have to go back to physical therapy because my arm is not good and he said the nerve has not come back yet. I told him I will try a different place this time and I asked him what my prognosis was. Even with the stage 4 and columnar cell, he thinks I have a 90% chance for 10 years, Praise God!! We also discussed his surgical plan if it comes back. I still am so confused as to why all the drs. cant be on the same page with me, the rad. onc. says nothing, the other ent surgeon never had a patient with this and the endo thinks its coming back in about 3 years. Hmm, I think I will go with the best one for now??
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #557
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Jennz- I actually think once upon a time you told me one of them was your endo- Dr.A?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #558
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

As for new endos--the important issue is to find an endo that has a BIG thyroid cancer patient population. Many endos seem to specialize more in diabetes. Find the one that takes the special interest in thyroid and thyroid cancer. That's where you want to be. The "good" endo in my town is all the rage with diabetics. He wasn't that great with thyroid cancer.
Someone told me that the 'popular' endo specializes in PCOS, but she herself has HAD thyroid cancer, and another person I know ( the rare male actually) really liked the way she handled his thyroid cancer as well. I meet with her a week from today so hopefully it works out well.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #559
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Someone told me that the 'popular' endo specializes in PCOS, but she herself has HAD thyroid cancer, and another person I know ( the rare male actually) really liked the way she handled his thyroid cancer as well. I meet with her a week from today so hopefully it works out well.

The doctor that treated me was not actually an endo. He was an Internal Medicine doctor that treated diabetics and took a special interest in thyroid cancer because he had it himself. Very good combination!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #560
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Jennz- I actually think once upon a time you told me one of them was your endo- Dr.A?
Yep that's her. Definitely keep your appointment, she schedules 6 months out for existing patients!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #561
Poohbear5
DIS Veteran

Hi all!

I was just diagnosed with hypo this week and started on low dose and they will reevaluate the dose of sythroid every 6 weeks to get the right dosage.

How long will it take my hair to regrow??
Out of all the symptoms, that's really bugging me the most!

Any one else get a foggy eye as a result of being hypo? Doc said she was pretty sure that was from thyroid but not 100% so we'll have to wait and see.
Poohbear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #562
kathleena
Because everyone needs a Fairy Godmother
All fairies are friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear5 View Post
Hi all!

I was just diagnosed with hypo this week and started on low dose and they will reevaluate the dose of sythroid every 6 weeks to get the right dosage.

How long will it take my hair to regrow??
Out of all the symptoms, that's really bugging me the most!

Any one else get a foggy eye as a result of being hypo? Doc said she was pretty sure that was from thyroid but not 100% so we'll have to wait and see.
Hi hon! I can't answer about the hair, but I hope you are feeling better soon!

About the eye - I had eye changes before I was diagnosed. My left eye is the most affected and I guess I would call it foggy. BUT - it is a result of TSI antibodies which cause Graves disease (hyper). I was hypo first and then went hyper a couple of years later. I was on synthroid for 2 years, but the numbers wouldn't stabilize because of the TSI antibodies. I'm now treated for Graves (with anti-thyroid drugs, not RAI) and am in remission. Now on .75/1.0 levothyroxine and am stable.

So my questions beyond the foggyness - do you notice any change in your eye - like is is bigger/wider than the other one (more of the color showing?), do you have any dryness (symptom would be your eye watering, which is opposite what you would think)? If you have either of these, it could be TSI.

Anyway - ask your doctor to check the hypo antibodies if she hasn't already and talk with her about TSI antibodies. My PCP didn't know about the TSI antibodies so she didn't test them. It is not a cheap test. Another option is to see an opthamologist that specializes in thyroid eye disease. I see one because the TSI levels were still high and he was watching my eyes for changes. If you have antibodies, be sure you read about them so you know what they are and make sure they are being monitored along with your TSH.

Oh and just FYI, someone can have both antibodies (one that causes hypo, one that causes hyper) and they cancel each other out keeping the thyroid stable - but they antibodies can still cause harm elsewhere - like the TSI harming the eyes.

Good luck hon!

I had to turn 58, so I did it on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise!

kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #563
Poohbear5
DIS Veteran

So my questions beyond the foggyness - do you notice any change in your eye - like is is bigger/wider than the other one (more of the color showing?), do you have any dryness (symptom would be your eye watering, which is opposite what you would think)? If you have either of these, it could be TSI.

Anyway - ask your doctor to check the hypo antibodies if she hasn't already and talk with her about TSI antibodies. My PCP didn't know about the TSI antibodies so she didn't test them. It is not a cheap test. Another option is to see an opthamologist that specializes in thyroid eye disease. I see one because the TSI levels were still high and he was watching my eyes for changes. If you have antibodies, be sure you read about them so you know what they are and make sure they are being monitored along with your TSH.

Wow! Guess I'd better do more reading to know what all these terms are. I requested and received my labs in yesterday's mail but not sure what all the numbers mean yet.

My eye doesn't look bigger (to me anyway) just feels foggy and dry. I have an appt. with an opthtamologist in 2 weeks.

Is there a good site that you can direct me to get easy to understand info. about thyroids and what the tests and numbers mean?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #564
mrsklamc

Poohbear5- I'm sorry, I don't know of a good website for you.

My appointment with the new endo is tomorrow, I have a LIST of questions, I hope it goes well!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #565
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

And speaking of "eye" problems

My L eye is now tearing every now and then. I am going to the endo next month. Is this something that happens post RAI or could it be a med thing? My synthroid has been the same for about a year. Anyone else have this problem?

Micayla - can you give us a little update of your drs. visit? Hope all went well and that you got all your questions answered and that you like the dr. too and feel comfortable with him/her.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #566
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
And speaking of "eye" problems

My L eye is now tearing every now and then. I am going to the endo next month. Is this something that happens post RAI or could it be a med thing? My synthroid has been the same for about a year. Anyone else have this problem?

Micayla - can you give us a little update of your drs. visit? Hope all went well and that you got all your questions answered and that you like the dr. too and feel comfortable with him/her.
I hope you get that straightened out. Could even just be allergies.

I am so goofy- My appointment is actually TOMORROW at 4. I will let you know how it goes!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #567
kathleena
Because everyone needs a Fairy Godmother
All fairies are friends!

Yes, RAI can result in some thyroid eye disease symptoms

Here's a website. http://thyroid.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi...thyroideye.htm

And reading for TSI antibodies, most of it is pretty "medical" but here's some stuff

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/endoc...?QuestionID=22

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hyperthy...a/10things.htm

Here's a good forum for questions, Elaine Moore is great.

http://forums.about.com/ab-thyroid2

I had to turn 58, so I did it on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise!

kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #568
Poohbear5
DIS Veteran

Thanks for those website links!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #569
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

I had my surgery follow up this morning. Much to my surprise they did find some cancer in the thyroid. Thankfully, it was small (3.5 mm). There were also some smaller "just starting" spots (I forget what he called that). The surgeon was very reassuring about the fact that it's gone and that should be the end of it. He assumes my endocrinologist will not want the RAI. I hope that's the case, because the whole point in my starting down this road was so that my reproductive endocrinologist will proceed with my fertility treatments.

Would love to hear from anyone who had a cancer situation similar to mine. The doctor was very encouraging, but of course hearing the words makes me somewhat anxious.

I see my endocrinologist on March 18th.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #570
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Hi all! I wonder why I haven't seen this thread! I have had Hypothyroid problems for about 6 years now. I used to be able to keep very slender and I used to have thick long hair. Unfortunately, my hair sucks!! It is stringy, breaks off super easy and just falls out. I struggle to keep the weight down. My levels fluxuate so much. I have been on a dosage as low as 50mcg to 112 and then alternating, now I am on 100mcg and will go back again in 3 more weeks.

I am so glad to find others that are as frustrated like me. I haven't found anything to help with my hair.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: