Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #511
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
My dose was 150. I am not as 'in heaven' foodwise as I had anticipated because I have a bit of a funny taste in my mouth.

Mari doesn't have cancer though so no reason for her to be scared.
Not scared! Saw the endo today. He felt like although there are "tons" of nodules (his words) on the thyroid, there is only 1 large enough to even be slightly concerned. So, he's not ordering a biopsy now. He said all that would tell him would be whether to take it out or not, and it's coming out!

I left today with
1. Instructions to make an appointment with surgeon. I'm going to use Dr. Pezzi at Abington in the Phila suburbs. I suppose the chance of anyone being familiar with him is slim, but who knows. I called already and he can't see me til 1/26, but I'm ok with that.
2. Order for bloodword now that I have been on the tapazole for a few weeks. Got it done as soon as I left the endo. I'm supposed to call Monday to see if he wants to change the dose.
3. Prescription for "something" iodine (begins with an L I think) to take 5 drops 3 times a day for 10 days leading up to the surgery. Anyone know what this is?
4. Prescription for synthroid (it says .125 g, but I can't read how many times a day. Anyone know the usual? Just curious. Obiously this is for after the surgery.)
5. Order for bloodwork after the surgery (various TSH, etc.)
6. Call and make follow up appointment for 6 weeks after surgery unless calcium gets whacky in the hospital.

I know no one wants that detail, but I'm trying to organize my thoughts.

Thanks to all who have offered support!
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #512
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Can you read what the script does say? I used to be a pharmacy tech so I may be able to tell you; it may not have a number.

I imagine it's probably one tablet daily though. That's the dose they started me out on, too.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #513
MariDisney

Quote:
Can you read what the script does say? I used to be a pharmacy tech so I may be able to tell you; it may not have a number.

I imagine it's probably one tablet daily though. That's the dose they started me out on, too.
The Synthroid script says 0.125 g (or maybe mg?) looks like a division sign LOL then tab po and maybe "in" also says #90, which I think means 90 pills. Why can't they write neatly?

The other one says Lyol's (I THINK) Iodine solution some strange stuff then I think tid(three times a day, right?) then "in juice" 10 days before surgery. Actually it is an a with a line over it, but I had enough latin to figure out he means ante/before, right? LOL

SO, any input on either would be great. Never heard of this second one. The Synthroid I did expect. He also did sign the brand medically necessary line on the Synthroid. I don't believe I've ever had that on a prescription before. I've usually had generics. Hmmmm...
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #514
mrsklamc

The other drug I'm not familiar with but with the synthroid without physically seeing it I would say that it is, one tablet by mouth daily. Of course, the pharmacy will print it on the bottle for you.

AND from my days as a pharmacy tech, I will tell you that it is VERY normal for synthroid to be brand name only/dispense as written. Our bodies are SO sensitive to thyroid and this is unique among drugs in that the generics just aren't as consistent as the brand in the dose strength. Fortunately, synthroid is pretty cheap.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #515
MariDisney

Quote:
The other drug I'm not familiar with but with the synthroid without physically seeing it I would say that it is, one tablet by mouth daily. Of course, the pharmacy will print it on the bottle for you.

AND from my days as a pharmacy tech, I will tell you that it is VERY normal for synthroid to be brand name only/dispense as written. Our bodies are SO sensitive to thyroid and this is unique among drugs in that the generics just aren't as consistent as the brand in the dose strength. Fortunately, synthroid is pretty cheap.
Thanks for trying! I know they'll put it on the bottle, and I'll call if I'm confused.

Interesting about the Synthroid. I'm learning so much!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #516
mrsklamc

Having another 'low' day today. Nothing like being hypo, just kinda sad. Is this normal while adjusting? The bad part is not knowing the difference between hormones and just plain moodiness!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #517
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Got great news!! The endo said my blood tests were great! The TSH is practically undetectable, so the cancer is staying away!! Dh commented to her that he thinks I am too hyper, she said she could tweek my meds after the nuclear scan. I said I would rather leave them where they are and deal with the hyper. I am scheduled to go to the rad. onc in June but she thinks that is too late, she wants me to call and reschedule and she said she is not sure but thinks I wont need the diet for the scan??? I tld her I dont think this is right, is it christine?? I also have a one year post op surgical follow up in Feb. and then and endo visit, blood test and neck ultrasound in March.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #518
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Got great news!! The endo said my blood tests were great! The TSH is practically undetectable, so the cancer is staying away!! Dh commented to her that he thinks I am too hyper, she said she could tweek my meds after the nuclear scan. I said I would rather leave them where they are and deal with the hyper. I am scheduled to go to the rad. onc in June but she thinks that is too late, she wants me to call and reschedule and she said she is not sure but thinks I wont need the diet for the scan??? I tld her I dont think this is right, is it christine?? I also have a one year post op surgical follow up in Feb. and then and endo visit, blood test and neck ultrasound in March.
Woo hoo! Merry Christmas - great news!

I haven't had to do the diet for my scans, but I haven't had one in three years so I thought this might be new.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #519
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Having another 'low' day today. Nothing like being hypo, just kinda sad. Is this normal while adjusting? The bad part is not knowing the difference between hormones and just plain moodiness!
It takes a good 6 weeks to start feeling yourself. Even then, your TSH won't be at optimal levels. It's tough coming back up to normal. You always think it's going to happen much faster than it does.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #520
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
luvmarypoppins--

Did you mean the "thyroglobulin" was undetectable, so the cancer is staying away? Thyroglobulin is the cancer marker. TSH only shows how much thyroid hormone you have. I'm thinking you meant Thyroglobulin in which case that is FANTASTIC news!

As for not doing the LID prior to scans, I've not heard of any doctor these days skipping that. I would probably ask her why she thinks it is okay not to. She may have a very good reason for it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #521
MariDisney

Surgery Scheduled

I finally was able to have my appointment with the surgeon today. It was like 6 weeks. Ugh! Anyway, my surgery is scheduled for Feb. 10th (so 2 weeks away). I need to see my primary next week for some pre-surgical appointment. Not sure what that will entail as I've had tons of blood work in the past 2 months.

The endo upped my tapazole to 60 mg/day mid-December. So, that's what I've been on. I also have Lugol's Iodine solution to begin taking 5 drops, 3 times per day starting 10 days before the surgery. I've heard cranberry juice is the best thing to hide the taste of that. Any experience with that?

My surgery is on a Weds., so my current plan is to be off work for the full wee after that and go back Monday the 22nd. Does that seem reasonable to those of you who have had the surgery? I'd rather NOT be out that long. I'm self employed and have no sick time, of course. So, there will be no income at all for that time frame, which stinks for me. But, it doesn't seem like shorter will work.

Any other words of advice? Should I plan on soft foods for several days? Will I want to just lay on the couch for awhile? Clue me in as to what your recovery from the surgery (it will be near-total) was like.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #522
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariDisney View Post
I need to see my primary next week for some pre-surgical appointment. Not sure what that will entail as I've had tons of blood work in the past 2 months.
My pre-op with my primary care dr. was pretty simple. The only thing he did really was check my blood pressure and do an EKG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariDisney View Post
My surgery is on a Weds., so my current plan is to be off work for the full wee after that and go back Monday the 22nd. Does that seem reasonable to those of you who have had the surgery? I'd rather NOT be out that long. I'm self employed and have no sick time, of course. So, there will be no income at all for that time frame, which stinks for me. But, it doesn't seem like shorter will work.
I had an easy recovery. I actually did some work from home on the afternoon of my surgery. My surgery was at 7:30 a.m. and I was home by noon. I was only out of work for a few days, mainly because I could not drive.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #523
MariDisney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
My pre-op with my primary care dr. was pretty simple. The only thing he did really was check my blood pressure and do an EKG.

I had an easy recovery. I actually did some work from home on the afternoon of my surgery. My surgery was at 7:30 a.m. and I was home by noon. I was only out of work for a few days, mainly because I could not drive.
Thanks...that is encouraging. The doctor said 1-3 weeks, but i like your recovery better!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #524
mrsklamc

I was out for two weeks but that was only because I have a HUGE scar from having all the lymph nodes removed, and couldn't turn my head to drive. Since you are having the smaller incision I bet you will be fine in one week!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #525
cassiez76
DIS Veteran

i just found this thread...wanted to say hi

i've had a low thyroid for 12 years now (started when i was around 20/21-ish). i'm on 150mg of the generic for levoxyl. i started at .5mg 12 years ago

usually cold, tired, gain weight when it's off and get it checked every 6 months.

my mom is on like .5mg now. i guess it's just apart of the family. we had a cat that also had thyroid problems!

my mil had to have hers removed (they were the size of kidneys!). so far hubby is the only one without thyroid problems.

gonna subscribe!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: