Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #466
jennz
DIS Veteran

Ditto what Christine said. Being so hypo is horrible, just like being a giant slug. However tv should definitely be able to hold your attention!

I've had my last scans with thryogen and am soooooo glad I can do it! No problems at all.

Just remember that this will all be over soon.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #467
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

A Co-worker (who I always find condescending anyway) informed me this morning that for her, sometimes it's just mind over matter.

Yes, dear, and YOU have your thyroid. argh.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #468
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
A Co-worker (who I always find condescending anyway) informed me this morning that for her, sometimes it's just mind over matter.

Yes, dear, and YOU have your thyroid. argh.
Ah lovely...the experts weigh in - always fun right? Aren't you glad you can come here and be understood?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #469
mrsklamc

Finally gave in today and didn't go to work. DH said I almost seemed drunk, got in the shower and was in there forever like I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

Thought you might find this funny though, if you've had to do this. I found myself staring at a headline at digg.com about a prisoner who had to have a five inch shank removed from...well nevermind where. I stared at it forever trying to figure out how they got the SHARK into the prison.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #470
rubato
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 4 years ago. I had a huge nodule and that was being watched for the 4 previous years, but then I gained 40 lbs in between tests and was sleeping for 20 hours a day, losing all my hair. You know, the standard stuff. So, I've been on Synthroid for the last 4 years. I lost the weight, feel better most of the time, and, because we are suppressing my TSH, my nodule is shrinking!!! Yah!

But, I still don't feel fully like myself. Sometimes, I have really good days. Sometimes, I'm living in a fog. I also catch everything. I'm assuming that's because I have an auto-immune disease, but it still sucks.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. It's good to see the support people are getting on here.
rubato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #471
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Finally gave in today and didn't go to work. DH said I almost seemed drunk, got in the shower and was in there forever like I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

Thought you might find this funny though, if you've had to do this. I found myself staring at a headline at digg.com about a prisoner who had to have a five inch shank removed from...well nevermind where. I stared at it forever trying to figure out how they got the SHARK into the prison.
Hey--this happens to me sometimes on the DIS and I'm not even hypo!! The things I *think* those thread titles say--well, I amuse myself sometimes.

The good news is--you're still typing relatively well. You should have seen me when I was really hypo. When I went back and read some of the things I typed it was like I was drunk. It's hard to believe that the first time I went hypo I worked right up until my treatment.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #472
belle&sebastiansmom
DIS Veteran

Does anyone with Hashimoto's nodes feel like they are constantly choking when swallowing? Sometimes it just feels like I've got steak stuff in my throat. And if I bend my neck certain ways I feel like I'm choking. I go back to the endo in January. Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #473
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle&sebastiansmom View Post
Does anyone with Hashimoto's nodes feel like they are constantly choking when swallowing? Sometimes it just feels like I've got steak stuff in my throat. And if I bend my neck certain ways I feel like I'm choking. I go back to the endo in January. Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this?

I think that this is a pretty common feeling for anyone with thyroid nodules. When they get to a certain size, they do put pressure on the throat and can impact swallowing. While the nodules are harmless (benign), many people opt to have a thyroidectomy to get rid of that uncomfortable feeling.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #474
belle&sebastiansmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I think that this is a pretty common feeling for anyone with thyroid nodules. When they get to a certain size, they do put pressure on the throat and can impact swallowing. While the nodules are harmless (benign), many people opt to have a thyroidectomy to get rid of that uncomfortable feeling.
My endo has mentioned removing them, since they are getting bigger but, thank God the ultrasound shows never cancerous, but he says that a thyroidectomy on a Hashimoto's gland is one of the most complicated surgeries, he says it's messy.

Anyone had their glands removed for "comfort"?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #475
Christine

Quote:
My endo has mentioned removing them, since they are getting bigger but, thank God the ultrasound shows never cancerous, but he says that a thyroidectomy on a Hashimoto's gland is one of the most complicated surgeries, he says it's messy.

I wondering how an ultrasound can show that something isn't cancer. You know that it can't, right? Have they done a needle biopsy.

Hashimoto's glands are often very vascularized (mine was) and it can be a bloody surgery.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #476
mrsklamc

I didn't even know I HAD any swelling prior to being diagnosed w/ cancer a couple months ago and I can't BELIEVE how much more comfortable breathing is after having my thyroid removed. I would huff and puff going up and down stairs- I just thought it was from being a few pounds overweight. Ok, like 25 pounds overweight but not obese.

Anyway, my point it- I know it's scary but I think you should definitely consider it. I don't know where you are but we (DH and I and my MIL the nursing professor) could not have been more pleased and confident w/ my surgeon so if you happen to be near Indy send me a PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #477
rubato
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've debated it. There's nothing like that feeling of not being able to swallow. But, I've had so many surgeries for other things, I'm reluctant to have one that isn't "absolutely necessary". I'm sure you'll do whatever is right for you.
rubato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #478
mrsklamc

Does anyone know how many days AFTER RAI ablation before I can go off the LID?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #479
belle&sebastiansmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I wondering how an ultrasound can show that something isn't cancer. You know that it can't, right? Have they done a needle biopsy.

Hashimoto's glands are often very vascularized (mine was) and it can be a bloody surgery.
All the endo has ever done is an ultrasound. He says he can tell if a further biopsy is needed based on the color it shows (the hot spots) and the shape. Because he says these things are normal, I've never had a biopsy.

Was the aftermath and recovery of your surgery difficult?

For those that have had the surgery for non-cancer: Do you generally feel better after the diseased glands are removed?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #480
mrsklamc

Quote:
All the endo has ever done is an ultrasound. He says he can tell if a further biopsy is needed based on the color it shows (the hot spots) and the shape. Because he says these things are normal, I've never had a biopsy.

Was the aftermath and recovery of your surgery difficult?

For those that have had the surgery for non-cancer: Do you generally feel better after the diseased glands are removed?
Spots on an ultrasound can be hyper-echoic or hypo-echoic (meaning whether they absorb sound waves or bounce them back. Cancerous cells tend to absorb sound waves ( I think, I might have that backwards) but the only way to tell for sure whether a mass is cancerous is a biopsy.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: