Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #391
Terri5176
Mouseketeer

Questions....

Hello -

I've been reading this thread - with alot of interest. I believe I've got some sort of thyroid issue, and am waiting for my doctor's appointment to talk about it.

I'm 50 (ouch) and have been menopausal for quite a while. I had my symptoms under control with an OTC med - Estroven. Then - it seemed - overnight my symptoms went crazy. I have hot flashes continually. Not night sweats - but waking up HOT. When I'm not dying of the heat - I am ice cold.

My weight has gone crazy - that seemed to happen overnight as well. I added 30 pounds with no effort. I'm trying to get rid of it - working out 4 - 5 days a week, 2 - 2/2 hours each time. No change, in fact I continue to gain. I'm training for half marathons - completed one in June, have a few more scheduled this year, then Goofy in January. I do okay, but the hot flashes are really tough during exercise.

My eyesight is horrible, my hair is thinning, and I ACHE. I can't remember anything anymore.

My mother had benign tumors on her thyroid - it was removed (this was in 1963?) and was on meds from then on. (side note - Synthroid never worked right for her - she had a cow based replacement?)

It's hard - I don't know how much of this is due to menopause, and how much is due to something else. I'm tired of people looking at me like I eat too much.....

Terri
Terri5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #392
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Teri,

Have you had a thyroid panel (bloodwork) done. Many/most of your symptoms for sure can be attributed to perimenopausal stuff that just gets worse and worse until you actual go through meno. My mother had a ROUGH time and many women I know have exactly the same issues as you. An aquaintance I have has been struggling for 2 years now and finally had to go on prescription HRT because her quality of life was so impacted.

The weight gain (especially through the abdomen) seems to be normal. My mom really packed on the pounds and has a very hard time shedding them. I have read that a low-carb diet works particularly well for the menopausal weight gain.

I would not rule out thyroid and it's easy enough to check if it is contributing to your issues.

Your mom was probably taking Armour Thyroid which is made from dessicated pig thyroids. I do think some older medicines were made from cows.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #393
Terri5176
Mouseketeer

Hi Christine -

I had a panel done probably 5 - 6 years ago, and was told I was "borderline" hypo.

I struggle with the idea of HRT too - but I guess that's just me. I couldn't take the pill because of the effect it had on my mood. (the last time I tried - to help with severe pain - I ended up screaming at my boss....). But I'v reached the point that I can't take any of this too much longer....

The reason I'm thinking thyroid is a "feeling" that there's something in my throat? Not that it's difficult to swallow, just that there's something "there".

Does that make any sense?

Thanks -

Terri
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #394
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri5176 View Post
Hi Christine -

I had a panel done probably 5 - 6 years ago, and was told I was "borderline" hypo.

I struggle with the idea of HRT too - but I guess that's just me. I couldn't take the pill because of the effect it had on my mood. (the last time I tried - to help with severe pain - I ended up screaming at my boss....). But I'v reached the point that I can't take any of this too much longer....

The reason I'm thinking thyroid is a "feeling" that there's something in my throat? Not that it's difficult to swallow, just that there's something "there".

Does that make any sense?

Thanks -

Terri
Yes, it makes perfect sense. And given your familial history with thyroid nodules, you could very well be having problems. Borderline hypo 5-6 years ago is now considered hypo as they lowered the threshhold for what is considered hypo. I believe any TSH reading over 3.5 is now hypo. That number used to be 5.0. Some labs have changed their reporting and some haven't. I think it is worth it for you to go get testing again and to probably have your neck palpated by someone who knows. You could also have some nodules and they are pressing on your throat. That is a very common symptom of that--feeling that pressure.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #395
Terri5176
Mouseketeer

I have an appointment with my OB/Gyn on the 18th (ever try to get a quick appointment?) but I'm thinking of going to the regular group to get tested. It's too bad that these days it's harder to get a doctor that *knows* you - it's always someone who is in a hurry, and doesn't really listen.

Terri
Old 08-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #396
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Need Help!

Hi there! I have some questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help me.. I am just so upset right now...I just don't know what to do.

6 months ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My inital bloodwork came back with a level of 32!
I was put on levothyroxine. (can't remember the dosage).
6 weeks later my level tested at 31.
They increased the dosage.
6-7 weeks later my level tested at 11. Still not great..but obviously better.
They increased my dosage to 112mcg which I have been taking for the past 2 months. I just had my blood drawn Friday and I got the results back today.
My levels are now at 43! I just am so blown away that it is now more than where it started! How is this possible? I am trying to get an appointment with my endroc. but she will be leaving for vacation next week so i am not sure I can see her until she gets back. I just don't understand! Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas how my level can increase so much after being on medication for all these months? What should I do now? I am so upset...I just can't believe it.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #397
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

I don't know what is going on with you personally. I can only speak of why my TSH level went up drastically and appearantly for no reason in the past. I was taking multi vitamins with iron. Apparently iron is not a good mix with thyroid medicines. There are also certain foods that could effect the level. Now my aunt who has hypothyroidism takes her multivitamin with her sythroid every day and never had it happen to her so I suppose it varies person to person. I bought centrum silver (only medicine for the elderly has no iron in it) and have not had that problem since and my level went back in line when I stopped taking my multi vitamin. HTH
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #398
Christine

A couple of thoughts to choco:

1. Make sure you take your thyroid medication everyday on an empty stomach. Do not change how you take it otherwise you will get variances.

2. As the other poster mentioned, do not take iron for several hours before or after your thyroid medication. Iron binds with the thyroid hormones and it cannot be utilized by the body.

3. Other things can interfere with thyroid hormones, calcium being one of them. Just make sure the meds are taken AWAY from anything else.

4. Make sure that despite whatever dosage changes your doctor is prescribing, that you are sticking with the SAME brand of thyroid medication. It is proven that generic thyroid hormone has wide variances between the different companies that make them. You must be sure that you stick with the same manufacturer or you will have a very hard time getting regulated. This is not to say that you cannot take a generic one; however, make sure that the generic is made by the same company. For instance, you don't want to get 112 mg of Levothyroxine made by Sandoz one month and then your next month's supply comes from Forest Pharmaceuticals. It won't be the same. Does that make sense?

5. Thyroid medication is VERY sensitive to heat and time. If you got an 'old' batch or your medication was exposed to heat (in the car, mailbox, bathroom, etc) it may be less effective for that vial. I would look at the medication for the month prior to your TSH shooting back up. Was it different in some way?

6. Lastly, you may be doing everything perfectly with the meds; however, if you have something like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, your gland is going to function erratically. For the month that your TSH went down to 11, maybe your gland worked a little bit and put out some thyroid hormone. On the month it shot back up, maybe your thyroid gland decided not to work. It is very hard dealing with a dying thyroid gland. Lots of ups and downs.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #399
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for the info! Christine, you taught me many things! I had no idea that the medication itself could be so *sensitive*. I don't take any other medications/vitamins and I always take it the same time, every morning, on an empty stomach. I guess I just assumed that I would take the medication, and I would get better! silly me! lol! I had no idea that this was going to be such a long and unpredictable road. The good news is that my Dr. called and will see me tomorrow morning. Thanks to your information I now have some specific questions to ask. Wish me luck! And thank you again for taking the time to help me.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #400
tpmpro687
Earning My Ears

I think this is an awsome site. We are checking in Old Key West on the 22nd of Aug. We are going this year to celebrate being cancer free. I have had nodules for over a year and a half. I had biopsys done christmas eve and Jan 3. they called to tell me that they were cancer. The doctor at the time who was home on maturnity leave called said not a big emergancy just don't sit on it that it was non aggressive. If i had any question to call the office. After I pulled my self together the next day I called with a recomendation another doctor. I went and saw Dr. Lee and Jan 2th I had my surgury. He came out and told my husband that it was a good thing I didn't wait that it was moderate aggressive. They had to remove one of my paraglands and some of the lympth gland as well because it started to spread. I was in the hospital for 6 nights and 7 days. They couldn't get my calcium level regulated. From the surgury I have a paraylized right vocal cord. They gave me 5% of getting my true voice back. Right now I sound like Minnie mouse (thats what my husband and lot of people say) I had to one round of radiation in March. March 19th I was told I was cancer free. My husband asked me before surgury what I wanted when everything turned out to be okay and I told him I wanted to go to Disney with him and my 2 sons and we are a week and 3 days away.
tpmpro687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #401
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmpro687 View Post
I think this is an awsome site. We are checking in Old Key West on the 22nd of Aug. We are going this year to celebrate being cancer free. I have had nodules for over a year and a half. I had biopsys done christmas eve and Jan 3. they called to tell me that they were cancer. The doctor at the time who was home on maturnity leave called said not a big emergancy just don't sit on it that it was non aggressive. If i had any question to call the office. After I pulled my self together the next day I called with a recomendation another doctor. I went and saw Dr. Lee and Jan 2th I had my surgury. He came out and told my husband that it was a good thing I didn't wait that it was moderate aggressive. They had to remove one of my paraglands and some of the lympth gland as well because it started to spread. I was in the hospital for 6 nights and 7 days. They couldn't get my calcium level regulated. From the surgury I have a paraylized right vocal cord. They gave me 5% of getting my true voice back. Right now I sound like Minnie mouse (thats what my husband and lot of people say) I had to one round of radiation in March. March 19th I was told I was cancer free. My husband asked me before surgury what I wanted when everything turned out to be okay and I told him I wanted to go to Disney with him and my 2 sons and we are a week and 3 days away.

Thats a great reason to celebrate! If I could ask you a couple of ?? How many lymph nodes did you have out? I had 47 out and 6 had cancer. Did you dr. tell you what the agressive component was? Mine is really agressive I think. The hosp. only has 1 to 2 patients a year with mine - columnar cell variant. What was your radiation dose? I had 200. Did they mention anything to you about injecting foam into your neck to help the vocal chord. I have 1 that they say is weak and my voice is bad sometimes. But also I am attributing that to the other surgeries I have had this year (bad, but not related to the cancer). Everytime they stick the breathing tube down me I take a step backwards etc. Do you have any neck/shoulder pain etc? I not only had the neck dissection but then my jugular vein burst and I almost died so that digging and cutting has messed me up alot too. Cant feel the ear, cant lift the shoulder that well etc. What did you think of the Low Iodine Diet. I have to do it again next year in prep for the scan they told me etc.

Any info would be helpful, thanks.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #402
DisMomme
Waiting to go to my WDW home again...

Does anyone take their thyroid meds at night? I love my sleep in the morning and have worked my AM routine to allow me to sleep in. Therefore I am eating breakfast within 20 min. of waking. Even if I took my meds as soon as I wake up it won't be on an empty stomach long enough for it to work. I also take calcium and Vitamin D pills with my meals. I am thinking I can either take my thyroid meds at night right before bed or set an alarm for 5AM, take the pill and go beck to sleep (hopefully). Which is better?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #403
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomme View Post
Does anyone take their thyroid meds at night? I love my sleep in the morning and have worked my AM routine to allow me to sleep in. Therefore I am eating breakfast within 20 min. of waking. Even if I took my meds as soon as I wake up it won't be on an empty stomach long enough for it to work. I also take calcium and Vitamin D pills with my meals. I am thinking I can either take my thyroid meds at night right before bed or set an alarm for 5AM, take the pill and go beck to sleep (hopefully). Which is better?
My first test came back in the 30's...next blood test they were down to 11...six weeks later they were up to 42. On my doctors advice I have been taking my medication 1 hour before I even have my coffee in the morning. I have been getting up at 5:00 am every day for 6 weeks! yikes! I just had my blood drawn last Friday and am anxiously awaiting the results. I will let you know if the early hour made a difference!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #404
5lilfish
DIS Veteran

I posted this on the community board and was directed over here. I feel a little bit better than I did when Iposted this but I still have all the symptoms to varying degrees.

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease after 9 months of suffering from a whacky list of symptoms...and having various other scary things ruled out (MRI's, EMG, bloodword). I've had muscle cramping/twitching/fatigue, mental fog, general overwhelming fatigue, puffy face, throat issues (tightness, hoarseness, sore), and some other things.

I am happy to have some answers. On top of Hashimoto's disease, I am a bit anemic and I have low Vitamin D levels (26, I believe). I've been on a small dose of Lev-something for about 3 weeks now (small dose because while my antibodies are high, my thyroid levels are still ok). I have to say I feel crappy. I am exhausted and just plain do not feel well. There are times I just have to lie down and sleep and there are times I feel like I have been run over by a truck. Also, the muscle fatigue is sometimes horrible...in my arms especially. The worst part, in terms of being annoying and worrisome, is my throat. It just feels tight and like something is pushing on it. It's worse if I lie back. It also affects my talking sometimes.

Is this typical? my levels will be re-tested in a month. Will this get better...because right now this really stinks. I have 5 kids and NO energy. It's beginning to get me down. Also...is it normal for the symptoms to come and go?

Thanks..
Jess
5lilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #405
Babypandaroo
Mouseketeer

Smile The THYROID Thread

I was just recently taking my synthroid medicine at night too and it doesn't seem to be helping. I am still tired alot and my doctor put me on iron tablets and vitamin c a month or so ago. I still feel like i could sleep for a week. What is the best time for my synthroid tablet? Mind you im not a morning person and my breakfast is usually later

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: