Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #316
jennz
DIS Veteran

Thanks for letting us know you're doing okay!

I don't remember coughing up afterwards...maybe it is the anethesia.

I'd have to say I'm pretty sure your DH isn't minding you talking, he's just glad you're still there and able to!!

That's the same thing they did with me, took out 1/2 the first time and my biopsy came back benign. It did come back positive for cancer when they sent it out though.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #317
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
That's the same thing they did with me, took out 1/2 the first time and my biopsy came back benign. It did come back positive for cancer when they sent it out though.
That's exactly what happened to me, too. I thought everything was ok until I went for my follow up after the surgery.

I don't remember coughing anything up, either. Maybe you should call your doctor if it continues.
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #318
pakhowe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
That's exactly what happened to me, too. I thought everything was ok until I went for my follow up after the surgery.

I don't remember coughing anything up, either. Maybe you should call your doctor if it continues.
I'm feeling better now. The coughing has stopped. I think I have been trying to do too much too soon. I'm glad the Dr gave me 2 weeks off. So when you got the results back did you have to go back in and have everything removed? The Dr said there is less than a 1% chance of it coming back malignant but I want to know what happens next just to be prepared. How are you both doing now? Has it been a while and are your thyroid levels normal on the replacement meds? Thanks again for all the advice
Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #319
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

I had to go back in and have the rest of it removed. They did not end up finding anything, but I'm still glad I did it because otherwise it would always be hanging over me. I had that done on 6/18. After that I was scheduled for the radioactive iodine treatment, but when they did the body scan they did not find any traces of thyroid tissue left so they did not have to do the treatment. I was thrilled, but I had done the low iodine diet for nothing!

Since I had to go off the synthroid in preparation for the RAI treatment, it wasn't until mid-August that I got back on it. It is now December and we are still trying to find the right dosage. We discovered that I could not increase my dosage too much at one time or I would get all the symptoms of being hyper and feel awful. I am now up to 137 mcg and I think this will do the trick. At 125 mcg my tsh was 4.9, but I still felt awful. For me, it needs to be between 1 and 2. I have to go back for blood work in about 4 more weeks.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #320
MrsKreamer
Moo
The third batch of pancakes is the charm
skinny jeans are the devil

Hi! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. We finally just got my levels in the normal range(after a year of continually increasing my synthroid). I am still a little lethargic, and my memory is horrible. I am going to a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks. I have been having joint pain and my Endo said Hashimoto's sometimes piggy-backs with other Auto-immune disorders. Luckily I have already tested negative for Lupus.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #321
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakhowe View Post
I'm feeling better now. The coughing has stopped. I think I have been trying to do too much too soon. I'm glad the Dr gave me 2 weeks off. So when you got the results back did you have to go back in and have everything removed? The Dr said there is less than a 1% chance of it coming back malignant but I want to know what happens next just to be prepared. How are you both doing now? Has it been a while and are your thyroid levels normal on the replacement meds? Thanks again for all the advice
They called me at home - I think it was the next day - and told me the results came back and they were very sorry but it was malignant and they had me scheduled for surgery the next morning. I knew within the 48 hours. Unfortunately the 2nd surgery did my parathyroids in and I don't have those any more.

I get checked every 6 months for my thyroid levels. I think they probably need to be adjusted since I've been very tired. I've gained weight so that might be why - need more meds b/c there's more of me!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #322
torismom
DIS Veteran

Hi, everyone I have a question for the thyroid experts. Due to my inability to lose weight, being tierd , a few other symptons and taking depression/anxiety meds My pysh dr tested my tsh levels and they were 4.36. He said that was high and I need to watch it. That was it. Anyone have advice for me?

Also, my dd will be going to an endo in Jan because all of her levels are her. Her tsh stuck out to me because it was over a 6. All of her numbers were high.She is also an asthmatic and takes a lot of steroids.

I am worried for the both of us. Thanks for any words of wisdom!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #323
jennz
DIS Veteran

Wow - what are you supposed to do to "watch it?" That's concerning...I have no way of knowing what my levels are! I can guess but that's it. I'm sure you must feel frustrated! Maybe you can ask your dd's endo about it and tell him you'd like to make an appointment to see him...how does that sound? S/he'll probably test other levels as well. Did your dr. run a cbc?

I know your levels can change even over such a minor thing as if your menstrating (sp?), but I'd say you need more input. Heck, I've been on meds for 15 years and I'd need more input!!

Good luck!!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #324
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torismom View Post
Hi, everyone I have a question for the thyroid experts. Due to my inability to lose weight, being tierd , a few other symptons and taking depression/anxiety meds My pysh dr tested my tsh levels and they were 4.36. He said that was high and I need to watch it. That was it. Anyone have advice for me?

Also, my dd will be going to an endo in Jan because all of her levels are her. Her tsh stuck out to me because it was over a 6. All of her numbers were high.She is also an asthmatic and takes a lot of steroids.

I am worried for the both of us. Thanks for any words of wisdom!!
[I]American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists that doctors "consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0.( http://thyroid.about.com/od/getteste...altshlevel.htm)

Many doctors routinely treat patients in the upper 2 range. Honest to God, if I were you, I'd see another doctor. Your thyroid levels are so important not only to your health but to your quality of life. Who wants to just exist? I used to feel that I was just existing until my correct levels with Armour were
found. Your thyroid levels could be contributing to your depression and anxiety. I was on Prozac for 10 years before finding out about my thyroid issues. I've been off since 2000. I'm not saying that this will happen with you ,however, your thyroid can affect this.

I encourage everyone to investigate their thyroid problems. This is one site that I've found to be helpful. There's a link to her website. The thing I like about her is that she is a thyroid patient. She sees this from our perspective.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #325
CinderelliT
Dreaming of Disney

Location: In Florida - close to Mickey's front door, yet still so far away!!

Does anyone have adrenal gland problems with Hashimoto's?
I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread since I have a wedding to photograph tomorrow (Yay me!) and an 8 page research paper due on Monday (NOT yay me!).
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 10 years ago, and I currently take Armour thyroid. Every time I find a dr that I like, they either stop taking insurance, so I can no longer afford them, or they retire. Now I'm stuck with a quack. Anyway, I was originally diagnosed as having Addison's disease as well. I was put on steriods to help my adrenals, and for many years, the combination of steriods and thyroid medicine worked wonders. Then after my DD was born, I got really sick. It turns out that I developed Cushing's syndrome - which is the opposite of Addison's. The endo said that didn't really have a need for the steriods, and that I was not diagnosed correctly. So he weaned my off over the course of several months. I am better overall than I was then, but I am still having problems with my glands, my insulin levels and my blood sugar levels. I think that sometimes I need a small dose of steriods.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Right now I am also suffering from weight gain, severe depression, and anxiety. My TSH came back at 2.5, so Dr. didn't change my medication. Any advice and support is much appreciated.
Thanks
CinderelliT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #326
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

CinderlliT, I don't have any Hasimoto's advice for you but I would just keep pushing and pushing and questioning things. It took my endocrin doc over 3 years to put me on thyroid -- she just kept "hoping" it would come back to normal function. They aren't the ones who have to live feeling bad all the time and the only person who is going to advocate your cause is you. Unfortunately that is just the way our health care system works.

I do want to say a big, big thank you to the folks who do post on this thread. Thanks to you I got my doc to switch my prescription to Synthroid from the levothyroxine and I feel so much better already. For the two years I have taken thyroid now we have had problems getting the dosage right. I told the doctor that I heard that the generic is a problem because of the fillers and binders interferring with absorption. She said yes that was correct and agreed to let me try the Synthroid. I wanted to ask why she didn't do that from the beginning but she is retiring and I will be going to a new doctor so it is not worth pursuing. Grrrr!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #327
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Just wanted to know if anyone did the low iodine diet before the radiation treatment. I dont go to the oncologist to next week and I dont know if this will be the treatment but it was mentioned. I looked it up on the internet and it seems basically you can eat nothing? Dairy? etc I am stressing out thinking what I could eat??
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #328
lisah0711
her Disney office

I don't have any low iodine diet advice for you -- I would like to think that if your diet was going to be really restricted they would have told you before you left the hospital.

I did want to say that I am glad that you are doing better after your surgery -- you're guardian angel was working overtime! No angel emoticon so I will send you some for a speedy recovery.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #329
teacups
DIS Veteran

Hi All- I have no functioning thyroid due to RAI 20 or so years ago (by the way that would be less than my last resort if I could do it over again ) but I am wondering how my med replacement dose compares to others doses. I asked this once on another thread and got a bunch of "it doesnt matter what my dose is, everyone is differnt so knowing my dose wont help you". Yes. I fully understand that... but I'm terribly curious.
I take Armour Thyroid three 90's a day. So, 270 mg. 60 is a grain so under 5 grains.
That seems like a lot and I still feel so wrong. I'm simply curious.... I'd appreciate anyone on Armour (or even Synthroid. I can calculate the differences) who cares to share. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #330
lisah0711
her Disney office

Wow! That does seem like a lot! But that may be what it takes for your body to work properly.

I have taken anywhere from 25 mcg to 75 mcg of levothyroxine. I just got my doctor to write the prescription for Synthroid because of concerns about the binders and absorption in the generic. Now I am taking 37.5 mcg of Synthroid every morning.

I had another thyroid ultrasound yesterday to monitor the size of the nodules -- there are three. I've been working on this problem for five years now and getting a little frustrated that it is not consistently better and we still have to tinker with the meds. I start with a new endocrine doctor in March because my old one is retiring. I hope he isn't so conservative in his treatment. My old doctor always hoped my thyroid function would return to normal after a year or two -- hello! Five years now, I think we've waited long enough for that ship to come in . . . . sorry, just venting a little this a.m.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: