Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #256
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

[QUOTE=jennz;28028960]I used to take Synthroid and changed to Levoxyl and noticed a difference, they were also actually able to cut my does in half! You're not getting generic are you?
[QUOTE]

No, Armour is the thyroid medication that was prescribed for 100 years before they started the synthetic thyroid medications. It's made from the glands of USDA-approved grain-fed pigs. The thyroids are processed, dried, powdered, and compounded to produce Armour Thyroid tablets. Since the amount of thyroid hormone present in the thyroid gland may vary from animal to animal, the T4 and T3 are measured in both the raw material and in the actual tablets. This ensures that Armour Thyroid tablets are the same from tablet to tablet.
Armour contains both T3 and T4 which the synthetics don't have.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #257
jennz
DIS Veteran
 
jennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 3,185

[QUOTE=rie'smom;28029325][QUOTE=jennz;28028960]I used to take Synthroid and changed to Levoxyl and noticed a difference, they were also actually able to cut my does in half! You're not getting generic are you?
Quote:

No, Armour is the thyroid medication that was prescribed for 100 years before they started the synthetic thyroid medications. It's made from the glands of USDA-approved grain-fed pigs. The thyroids are processed, dried, powdered, and compounded to produce Armour Thyroid tablets. Since the amount of thyroid hormone present in the thyroid gland may vary from animal to animal, the T4 and T3 are measured in both the raw material and in the actual tablets. This ensures that Armour Thyroid tablets are the same from tablet to tablet.
Armour contains both T3 and T4 which the synthetics don't have.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was asking frdeb1999 & kamlem.
__________________
Jennifer
jennz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #258
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

[QUOTE=jennz;28029656][QUOTE=rie'smom;28029325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
I used to take Synthroid and changed to Levoxyl and noticed a difference, they were also actually able to cut my does in half! You're not getting generic are you?


Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was asking frdeb1999 & kamlem.
sorry
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #259
jennz
DIS Veteran
 
jennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 3,185

No worries! Just curious - what did you notice different when you switched to the Armour?
__________________
Jennifer
jennz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #260
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

I had energy. Before starting on the Armour, it took all my energy just to make it to 6pm when I would fall into bed. It was like being a zombie. My skin was dry, my hair breaking,my face puffy,all of the same symptoms and my doctor wouldn't listen.
When I finally found the right doctor, he gave me a checklist, he did a reflex test, and I was still hypothyroid. You know how doctors used to ping your knee and ankle? That was a test for thyroid function. Anyway, I feel like I have my life back and it's wonderful!
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #261
frdeb1999
DIS Veteran
 
frdeb1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,193

Hi Jennz...yes we really like his Endo. We have heard so many horror stories about those who have one's that they don't like. So we were thankful to find out that we do. He's doing everything by the book and no he's not taking generics. Hopefully all will settle down soon!!
frdeb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #262
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!
 
KAMLEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennz View Post
Kamlem - did you mean your TSH levels were that high? (you typed TSG) Yikes! Are you sleeping 18 hours/day?
Yes, I meant TSH, I fixed it. I feel like sleeping 18 hours/day, but it's not possible! By 10:00 a.m. I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open at work. At lunch I go out to my car and nap. I'm in bed by 7:30, although not necessarily asleep. I look forward to Sundays because most weeks I don't have anything planned. It's sort of my catch up day. I actually get angry if something comes up on a Sunday!

To make things worse, last Sunday I had to take my mother to the airport and when I was in the parking garage I fell and sprained my ankle. Just one more thing. Crutches are very hard to use when your body is so weak!

I feel like I'm not living my life right now, I'm just trying to get through each day. Hopefully the meds will kick in soon.
KAMLEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #263
jham
DIS Veteran
 
jham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,003

Hi, I just started lurking here last week when I realized my DD11 had an enlarged thyroid. I took her to the Dr. on Friday and just got lab results this morning. I don't have numbers, but they said her TSH is very, very low, T4 is elevated, T3 uptake is elevated, Free thyroxin is elevated, something about thyroid peroxidase and something else I didn't catch. She is hyperthyroid and I am waiting for the pediatrician to confer with the endochronologist and call me back. I just don't even know what all this means and I'm so scared for my baby girl. I'm glad this thread is out there. Thanks for listening.
__________________

Me (Jeanne) DH DD16 DS15 DS11 DD8 Buddy
jham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #264
pakhowe
Mouseketeer
 
pakhowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 413

I'm going this Friday to the Dr about the nodule on my thyroid. I was told he would do a biopsy but I was referred to an ear/nose/throat Dr. Should I be going to see an endo?

Thanks for all the great information in this thread. I now know I should ask for specific blood work to be done.

Are there any other things I should be asking about or having checked?
__________________
pakhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #265
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!
 
KAMLEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakhowe View Post
I'm going this Friday to the Dr about the nodule on my thyroid. I was told he would do a biopsy but I was referred to an ear/nose/throat Dr. Should I be going to see an endo?
I would definitely go to an endocrinologist, one that specializes in thyroids if possible. The thyroid is such a complicated thing, the ENT may not be familiar enough with all the issues.

My endocrinologist didn't do my biopsies, though. It was actually a different dr. in the hospital that did them (sorry, not sure what type of dr. that is).

Be prepared that the biopsy may not tell you anything. I had 2 and in the end I had to have surgery because they could not get enough information from the biopsies alone.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
KAMLEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #266
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakhowe View Post
I'm going this Friday to the Dr about the nodule on my thyroid. I was told he would do a biopsy but I was referred to an ear/nose/throat Dr. Should I be going to see an endo?

Thanks for all the great information in this thread. I now know I should ask for specific blood work to be done.

Are there any other things I should be asking about or having checked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
I would definitely go to an endocrinologist, one that specializes in thyroids if possible. The thyroid is such a complicated thing, the ENT may not be familiar enough with all the issues.

My endocrinologist didn't do my biopsies, though. It was actually a different dr. in the hospital that did them (sorry, not sure what type of dr. that is).

Be prepared that the biopsy may not tell you anything. I had 2 and in the end I had to have surgery because they could not get enough information from the biopsies alone.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Definitely either see an endocrinologist or an internist who specializes in thyroid issues. I would not see an ENT for thyroid problems.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #267
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMissy318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,318

Hi everyone...

I wanted to come back and post an update on DD (10) - she had her thyroid removed in early August due to the fact it was growing on the back of her tongue... they left a little piece in place - just so she would have some of the original gland.

We had a follow-up appointment a week after surgery and 75mg of Synthroid was prescribed - we DID get the generic (from what I'm reading - we probably shouldn't??)

Fast forward 7 weeks - blood test shows a TSH level of 118!!!!!!!!! DD GAINED 22 pounds since surgery!!!! I'm freaking out! I don't know what to do!! They upped the mg to 112 - with another blood test in 6 weeks. DD was home sick this week Tuesday and Wednesday with the worst stomach cramps - she was flushed and warm to the touch - but no fever.

From what I've read online and from what you guys have shared - it will be a long process to get her to a "normal" level.

We have a follow-up with the ENT surgeons next Tuesday. I think she needs to be referred to an Endocrinologist for her follow-up care (as opposed to our GP) - do you guys agree?

Any advice on what to do from here - as well as what to do FOR HER would be great! I didn't tell her she was having a reaction to her meds - maybe I should - this is my BABY - and I hate to see her suffer! Uuuggghhh!
__________________
DH (46) ME (46) & DD (16)
DisneyMissy318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #268
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
Hi everyone...

I wanted to come back and post an update on DD (10) - she had her thyroid removed in early August due to the fact it was growing on the back of her tongue... they left a little piece in place - just so she would have some of the original gland.

We had a follow-up appointment a week after surgery and 75mg of Synthroid was prescribed - we DID get the generic (from what I'm reading - we probably shouldn't??)

Fast forward 7 weeks - blood test shows a TSH level of 118!!!!!!!!! DD GAINED 22 pounds since surgery!!!! I'm freaking out! I don't know what to do!! They upped the mg to 112 - with another blood test in 6 weeks. DD was home sick this week Tuesday and Wednesday with the worst stomach cramps - she was flushed and warm to the touch - but no fever.

From what I've read online and from what you guys have shared - it will be a long process to get her to a "normal" level.

We have a follow-up with the ENT surgeons next Tuesday. I think she needs to be referred to an Endocrinologist for her follow-up care (as opposed to our GP) - do you guys agree?

Any advice on what to do from here - as well as what to do FOR HER would be great! I didn't tell her she was having a reaction to her meds - maybe I should - this is my BABY - and I hate to see her suffer! Uuuggghhh!
Get her to an endocrinologist! I hate GPs for dealing with the thyroid. Why did and ENT do the surgery??? That, to me, would be like going to an endocrinologist for sinus problems. Please stay away from your GP. Thet almost always order the wrong thyroid blood tests!
Good luck to you and your daughter!!! Keep us posted.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #269
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMissy318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
Why did and ENT do the surgery???
After reading your reply - I'm here in tears that I didn't do everything possible for my DD! Our town ENT discovered the thyroid growing on her tongue and referred us over to UVA (University of VA) to the director of the ENT program. Up until all of this - I didn't even know there was such a Dr. as an Endocrinologist!

I DO know that MANY doctors from around the country were consulted as what DD presented is a rare condition. Their course of treatment changed based on input from other Drs. who had done the surgery prior.

Based on how "excited" the ENT was I would say they didn't refer us due to the fact that they wanted to publish the surgery. I guess the good thing is that UVA also has an incredible Endocrinology Department and WE WILL be making an appointment there ASAP!
__________________
DH (46) ME (46) & DD (16)
DisneyMissy318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #270
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
After reading your reply - I'm here in tears that I didn't do everything possible for my DD! Our town ENT discovered the thyroid growing on her tongue and referred us over to UVA (University of VA) to the director of the ENT program. Up until all of this - I didn't even know there was such a Dr. as an Endocrinologist!

I DO know that MANY doctors from around the country were consulted as what DD presented is a rare condition. Their course of treatment changed based on input from other Drs. who had done the surgery prior.

Based on how "excited" the ENT was I would say they didn't refer us due to the fact that they wanted to publish the surgery. I guess the good thing is that UVA also has an incredible Endocrinology Department and WE WILL be making an appointment there ASAP!
OMG, I am so sorry. I didn't mean you did anything wrong!!!!! It just makes me angry that doctors don't do referrals to experts!!!!
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: