Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #2341
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNurse19 View Post
I was told that i was the youngest in the World to have had it.
Oh by no means. Infants have it.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #2342
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingGrace View Post
Okay, so endo called today about my upcoming biopsy. It's a fine needle biopsy with no numbing. NO NUMBING! I was all like whaaaaa? Seriously? How bad does this hurt? Biopsy guy said that a blood draw hurts worse? Really?
I didnt think it was too bad, uncomfortable but not all that bad. I say this as I gripped the chair, white knuckle grip, not due to fear, but trying to stay really still so they can get a good stick. Oh and I had to have it done at least 3 times in the one session I think.

The first time they didnt get enough cells. Then I had another biopsy. That one he shook up my neck as they call it, trying to get more cells into the needle.

I ended up wit a third biopsy because they knew mine was something rare. I had to have a core biopsy and that is like a caulk gun going into the side of your neck. My ent calls it making a pass. I dont know if that is really the correct medical term to get a biopsy sample. He said he didnt like his lst pass so I got the wonderful caulk gun again and a nice dinner at Outback from dh! That one I did have to put an ice pack on my neck and take tylenol. I guess you could do that with the regular fna if it really bothered you.

So my lst two fnas were inconclusive.

Honestly the worst needles I have had so far were the ones they were sticking in my eye area and tear duct area to see how the radiation ruined my tear duct canals.

Have your dh get you a nice dinner after that! You deserve it. My dh usually goes with me for stuff like that. He feels so sorry for me and says - honey let me take you out to dinner etc.

Seriously LoriAnn, wishing you all the best. Probably the other things you have been through were a lot worse and you have really been a trooper through all of this so far. Hang in there sweetie!
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #2343
NeedProfessionalHelp
Earning My Ears

Thanks for starting this. Subscribing
NeedProfessionalHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #2344
AmazingGrace
Life is good, God is great!!!
Born again Texan
Enjoys a good Dole Whip
I saw the "I pooted" one. Made me laugh so hard that I, well, you know, POOTED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post

I didnt think it was too bad, uncomfortable but not all that bad. I say this as I gripped the chair, white knuckle grip, not due to fear, but trying to stay really still so they can get a good stick. Oh and I had to have it done at least 3 times in the one session I think.

The first time they didnt get enough cells. Then I had another biopsy. That one he shook up my neck as they call it, trying to get more cells into the needle.

I ended up wit a third biopsy because they knew mine was something rare. I had to have a core biopsy and that is like a caulk gun going into the side of your neck. My ent calls it making a pass. I dont know if that is really the correct medical term to get a biopsy sample. He said he didnt like his lst pass so I got the wonderful caulk gun again and a nice dinner at Outback from dh! That one I did have to put an ice pack on my neck and take tylenol. I guess you could do that with the regular fna if it really bothered you.

So my lst two fnas were inconclusive.

Honestly the worst needles I have had so far were the ones they were sticking in my eye area and tear duct area to see how the radiation ruined my tear duct canals.

Have your dh get you a nice dinner after that! You deserve it. My dh usually goes with me for stuff like that. He feels so sorry for me and says - honey let me take you out to dinner etc.

Seriously LoriAnn, wishing you all the best. Probably the other things you have been through were a lot worse and you have really been a trooper through all of this so far. Hang in there sweetie!
Will I be able to go work my kids club shift that night?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #2345
mrsklamc

Absolutely. I went straight to work after mine.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #2346
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Oh by no means. Infants have it.
I am sure they do but back when i was 5 i was the youngest.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #2347
mrsklamc

Nope. You may have been the youngest your doctor had heard of.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...813099/?page=1
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #2348
bhagaman
Earning My Ears

Update

Okay update....

CT Scan came back normal, nothing extremely irregular. But I have a small nodule in my right lung. Doc says it's more than likely scar tissue, but I'm still a little concerned because my last X-ray did not show a nodule in my lung. My doc is out of the office today, so I left her a message with a bunch of questions.

She said she wasn't concerned, we're going to hold off for a while. I'll get an ultrasound in 3 months and then another CT scan in 6 to look at the nodule.
bhagaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #2349
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I hate to see that there are new people, but glad you found a helpful place to land. Hoping all of you are getting excellent care, and have the support you need. Goodness knows the emotional side of it is overwhelming at times.

Regarding the PP who is getting a biopsy w/o numbing, I did have it with both of mine. But I was also told that really the numbing is only effective mostly at the surface -- in other words, they really do it so you won't feel the shots as they enter the skin, but the irony is that you get a shot to avoid feeling the shots! I know that even with numbing I could feel a bit of the needle inside my neck, but it wasn't what I would call painful, more of a mild pinching, mostly pressure feeling. I think the hard part is mental, not physical. Getting my blood drawn is harder.

On my end, I hit 24 weeks today of my pregnancy and little man is starting to thump away. I am so grateful my thyroid hasn't appeared to affect anything so far. My labs still look normal, and a recent three month follow up scan showed that the nodules I have haven't really grown much. There may be a miniscule new one, but it and any growth of the others are so small that they can't be sure it's not just a difference in the radiology equipment or the technician doing it. Plus my perinatologist and ENT warned that pregnant women tend to see an increase of thyroid issues. Despite my labs being in the middle normal range even w/o meds, they did put me on a preventative very low dose of thyroid meds b/c "at this dose, it can't hurt, only help". In part b/c of the pregnancy, and also b/c they said some people even see a reduction in nodule size or growth on meds. So...fingers crossed!

For anyone here now or coming in the future, I've learned some more about that Veracyte Afirma test that many doctors are beginning to use to avoid the diagnostic thyroidectomy. UHC just announced a partnership to provide coverage for this test. This is incredibly important as the test is almost $5000 for each sample! And if they are covering, others will likely follow. Mine was sent in w/o anyone really understanding this, so I'm fighting right now to get insurance to pay for mine (I have UHC, but it was done about 3 mos before they announced coverage...oy). Too many docs still don't know about this test, so if you get a ruling of indeterminate or suspicious, don't let them send you straight for the thyroidectomy. Ask your doctor about this test (and, of course, get insurance approval first!).

Best wishes to all of you.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #2350
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Nope. You may have been the youngest your doctor had heard of.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...813099/?page=1
Thank You
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #2351
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Arg. I went to go have a test done unrelated but kinda related to my thyroid. Apparently not only do I have a cyst on my thyroid, but it's enlarged very slightly. Enough to make a note. I knew about the cyst but he didnt tell me it was slightly enlarged. I heard the people running the test talk about it. Oh well. I guess since he's not concerned its nbd cuz it's only slightly enlarged?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #2352
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

bellanote - at least they know about it and are keeping an eye on it, so that is good.

Well I called the rad. onc. office. They just had a computer generated letter sent to me wth my original appt. but she said ny new appt. is in the computer system so that is good. I didnt want any more hassles.

And the wheelchair co. who we rent from at Disney called and asked dh where we were?. Seems they got the dates mixed up. I checked my confirmation and its the right dates. Never had that happen before. Of course this happened days ago and dh just tells me today

There are going to be 5 of us from the breast cancer thread on the cb there at Disney next week too, so hopefully we will be having a few meet ups. Should be fun. They are a great bunch of ladies.

Its so cold here. Like 58 was the high, Rainy etc. We have the heat on and I think I am going to sleep with my winter pj's. Where is summer?? It was suppose to be the opening of the pool where ds lifeguards, Of course that didnt happen.

Saw rain for next week in Florida too. Oh well. At least it will be warmer there. I need to look for my disney poncho..
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #2353
Devilsangel7681
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone, just stumbled across this board.

I have hypothyroidism.

I was born without a thyroid. Or so the doctors thought..when I turned 15 puberty hit and All of the sudden my throat swelled and goiters could be seen on the outside! Something was wrong. Also went through depression, emotional teenage stuff all at once. Not good.

Doctors did the iodine radiology tests and found the goiters. Did an ultrasound and discovered they are benign. They upped my dosage on synthroid and I have been fine ever since. I'm 27.

Your thyroid has a lot of say when it comes to your hormones as we all know, I'm just glad my parents took me to a great doctor early on and everything was ok.

I have some questions though, maybe someone can help...

sometimes the goiters make my throat feel slightly closed? Not like I can't breathe, but more like I can feel them there. Anyone else with goiters feel like this?

Also, I don't plan on ever having kids. I am wondering if there will ever be a point that my hormones will change the rest of my life and that I need to keep an eye on my symptoms...menopause I suppose?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #2354
AmazingGrace
Life is good, God is great!!!
Born again Texan
Enjoys a good Dole Whip
I saw the "I pooted" one. Made me laugh so hard that I, well, you know, POOTED!!!

So I had my biopsy today. It wasn't pleasant, but I got through it. The dr wasn't going to go ahead at first because bamc biopsies nodules that are 1.5 cm and mine was 1.2. He looked at the ultrasound, talked to me about symptoms and decided to go through with it. The first two passes or so hurt going in, but were manageable. The third or fourth pass nearly knocked me off the table. And I kept reflexively swallowing. He said that the ultrasound showed that it was a solid mass, some calcification, surrounded by a ring of fluid. So now I'm just sitting here, resting. My neck and throat ache a bit and there's junk running down the back of my throat that tastes like blood. It's not, but it's really unpleasant.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #2355
Piper
DIS Veteran

This may have been asked before. I searched and didn't find it.

I take Levothyroxine sodium 50mcg and the pharmacist said I had to take it first thing in the morning and wait at least an hour before I ate or drank anything and 2 hours before dairy. This means no coffee for 2 hours after I wake up (I drink milk in it.) It is a PITA. Although I drink decaf, I still want something to drink other than water! And I have to wait at least an hour before I can eat breakfast--2 if I'm having anything with butter or cream cheese.

Has anyone else been told this? If so, how do you handle it?
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: