Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #211
claudia
Thyroid Cancer Survivor!!

Quote:
I was diagnosed hypo nearly 5 years ago after the birth of my daughter. Meds controlled it. Just gave birth to a beautiful boy 5 months ago.

In January, the endocrinologist felt nodes in my neck. Prepared me for the worst (the most scary time of my life). He did an ultrasound and said it was textbook Hashimoto's, and that I didn't need any further tests to totally rule out cancer.

In your experiences, is this true? I will undergo any test to ensure that it is not cancer. Is the ultrasound really enough? He said the "nodes" that he felt were really the misshapen thyroid gland from the Hashimoto's.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.
Thanks so much.

My endo first diagnosed me with Hashimotos, but decided to do a biopsy on the nodes he felt and they did test postivie for cancer. Now I AM NOT in anyway telling you that it may be cancer....I only telling you of my experience. If I were you I would probably get a second opinion from another endo. Remember the odds are very remote that it would be cancer so please do not even think it.....just go for the second opinion because it sounds like you do not really trust this endo. Best of luck and congrats on your new son!

Last edited by claudia; 03-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.
claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #212
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysnel View Post
Thank you so much Christine!

Well, there goes THAT excuse for not exercising -
I tried to find my last lab report but must have tossed it. I will post after my next labs.

Hope everyone is doing good or at least better

Kelley
Here is an excuse ot exercise...when my weight has gone down I need less thyroid med to keep my body even and when my weight has gone up I have needed more. Maybe just a decrease in dosage from exercising will give you something to exercise for now.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #213
belle&sebastiansmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia View Post
My endo first diagnosed me with Hashimotos, but decided to do a biopsy on the nodes he felt and they did test postivie for cancer. Now I AM NOT in anyway telling you that it may be cancer....I only telling you of my experience. If I were you I would probably get a second opinion from another endo. Remember the odds are very remote that it would be cancer so please do not even think it.....just go for the second opinion because it sounds like you do not really trust this endo. Best of luck and congrats on your new son!
Thanks for your response. I went to the endocrinologist today, and he's changing my dosage (of course), and I did ask him if there were any further tests I needed. He said that the ultrasound showed the typical Hashimoto's thyroid gland, that there were not even any nodes to biopsy. The bumps and lumps he felt showed up on the ultrasound as the gland (don't think I made that clear in my first post.) I made it clear to him that I didn't want any little terrible thing hiding out somewhere, and he said that's why he does the ultrasounds, so he can see it in real time, the entire area. He's a new doctor since our move and it can all be so overwhelming. Still not sure if I should get a second opinion. AHHHHHHH!

So is this the way it works: There are nodes and there is the Hashimoto's diseased gland. They biopsy nodes, but not the gland?

I hope that your treatment went worked for you and that you're healthy! Many blessings.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #214
claudia
Thyroid Cancer Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle&sebastiansmom View Post
Thanks for your response. I went to the endocrinologist today, and he's changing my dosage (of course), and I did ask him if there were any further tests I needed. He said that the ultrasound showed the typical Hashimoto's thyroid gland, that there were not even any nodes to biopsy. The bumps and lumps he felt showed up on the ultrasound as the gland (don't think I made that clear in my first post.) I made it clear to him that I didn't want any little terrible thing hiding out somewhere, and he said that's why he does the ultrasounds, so he can see it in real time, the entire area. He's a new doctor since our move and it can all be so overwhelming. Still not sure if I should get a second opinion. AHHHHHHH!

So is this the way it works: There are nodes and there is the Hashimoto's diseased gland. They biopsy nodes, but not the gland?

I hope that your treatment went worked for you and that you're healthy! Many blessings.

That's good news. Yes, they biopsy the nodules if they are questionable. Since you have none and your gland itself is inflammed it there is nothing to biopsy. Here is a great site that you might what to check out, it has tons of info. http://endocrineweb.com/
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #215
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

I posted a general CB thread about this condition yesterday - but thought I would post here as well after I found this thread in another post! I'm going to be soon dealing with thyroid problems with my DD10. We saw an ENT on Wednesday after her GP referred her for a severe ear infection. While at the ENT - he discovered that DD has Lingual Thyroid condition - which means the thyroid did not travel down the canal to the normal position during development. DD's thyroid is at the very back of her tongue. If she sticks out her tongue - "ala Gene Simmmons" - you can see "something" back there. Dr. felt her throat area to see if he could feel the thyroid - to no avail - although he said he might not be able to feel it on either of us (her parents) either. So... right now, we are treating the ear infection with a strong antibiotic and ear drops... we go back in 10 days and we will at that time see what's up with the thyroid.

Of course I have read too much info on the internet and I'm just plain worried! This is a very rare annomoly (so rare, I can't even spell anomoly!) I have read that hypothyroidism is very common in those that have lingual thyroid condition - so I will read what you guys have written - I appreciate you sharing your experiences.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #216
Piglet
Can't beat Family Love
You can't go wrong with teddy bears & chocolate
Is a very crafty challenged person but can follow directions

So glad I found this thread. I was just at the doctors for possible gall bladder problems and she found that my thyroid was enlarged. I went for blood work this morning and have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday.

WDW Trips
Jan 2015 - Port Orleans Riverside
Jan 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2012 - Pop Century
Nov 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov/Dec 2010 Pop Century
Oct/Nov 2009 Pop Century
Jan 2009 - OKW
Jan 2008 - All Star Music
Oct/Nov 2007 - Pop Century
Nov 2004 - Pop Century
Oct 2003 - All Star Music
Oct 2001 - Give Kid the World Village - MAW
Nov 1999 - All Star Movies
1979 - Off Site
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #217
teacups
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
So glad I found this thread. I was just at the doctors for possible gall bladder problems and she found that my thyroid was enlarged. I went for blood work this morning and have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday.
Did they say it might be Graves Disease?
Let us know when you get the results.
Hugs to you!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #218
teacups
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMissy318 View Post
I posted a general CB thread about this condition yesterday - but thought I would post here as well after I found this thread in another post! I'm going to be soon dealing with thyroid problems with my DD10. We saw an ENT on Wednesday after her GP referred her for a severe ear infection. While at the ENT - he discovered that DD has Lingual Thyroid condition - which means the thyroid did not travel down the canal to the normal position during development. DD's thyroid is at the very back of her tongue. If she sticks out her tongue - "ala Gene Simmmons" - you can see "something" back there. Dr. felt her throat area to see if he could feel the thyroid - to no avail - although he said he might not be able to feel it on either of us (her parents) either. So... right now, we are treating the ear infection with a strong antibiotic and ear drops... we go back in 10 days and we will at that time see what's up with the thyroid.

Of course I have read too much info on the internet and I'm just plain worried! This is a very rare annomoly (so rare, I can't even spell anomoly!) I have read that hypothyroidism is very common in those that have lingual thyroid condition - so I will read what you guys have written - I appreciate you sharing your experiences.
Having a daughter 9 of my own, and I myself was DX'd with a thyroid condition when I was a teen... I must send well wishes your way! Many people do well with replacement meds. Is her gland actually working? Be leary of radiation if that topic ever comes up for any reason. I had it and now warn people off it like crazy. Hugs to yu and your girl
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #219
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your reply Teacups....

She hasn't had any bloodwork as of yet - our appointment with the ENT at UVA is on June 3... Madi is 5'0 already (as tall as her Mom!) - her Dad is 6'3 - so seems like "normal" growth - although I could see if there was a problem with metabolism as she carries a bit more weight than normal. She also has no energy and gets tired quickly. We are hoping to find out a lot more on June 3.

I'll be sure to be back to share the results and get advice from you guys!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #220
scubamouse
Mouseketeer
My shoes match. I know, I checked!

Mind if I join in?

I was dx with Hashimotos about 3 years ago and have been on the same synthroid/cytomel combo for all that time without issue. I think I've spiked hyper based on jittery overall, rapid heartbeat and easier than expected weight loss (I've been on WW since March). I'm waiting on my bloodwork results but I wondering if other people have cycled hyper after a Hashimotos dx? If so, how long does it generally last and how much do your meds adjust?

TIA
2005 Christmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2007 Beach Club Villas with free dining
2008 Beach Club villas
Spring break 2009 Howard Johnson's at Disneyland
August 26 - September 5, 2010 Bonnet Creek
Planning an August 2012 trip
scubamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #221
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Your thyroid will get hyper when you lose weight. The books I have read say that meds are prescribed depending on weight. The more you weight the more thyroid homone your body needs and vs versa. I went on weight watchers and my medication went down with my weight when I would become hyper. It is supposed to take 6 weeks to regulate on new meds but for some reason I feel the effects right away with switches in meds.

HTH,
Ang
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #222
goofyisinphilly
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread. I am 26 and have had hypothyroidism for almost 2 years. Last week an my annual gyn appt the dr noticed that my thyroid was enlarged. So off to my general prac dr for an ultrasound. My favorite part was that they'll call me in 3-9 days.

At this rate I could gain like 12 lbs in that time. I always know when my thyroid is off b/c I gain weight at an alarming rate. As in last week was 6 lbs. That is with WW and walking/biking 5-6 miles a day. Let's hope they call sooner rather than later.
August 2012- AllStar Movies
goofyisinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #223
Sugarfoot
Earning My Ears

I had nodules on my thyroid about 5 years ago, had surgery to remove part of my thyroid and the isthmus.

Last year more nodules were discovered and I almost cried, I didn't want surgery again! But the surgeon I went to before no longer works at the hospital, so they sent me to someone else and he is wonderful!!

He sent me for an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration, and since it was benign he said we'd just "watch it." Six months later I had another ultrasound and nothing had changed, so he said to wait another year and have another ultrasound and if nothing has changed by that time he will just say I'm one of many who get nodules and leave me alone.

I'm all for that!!

I do take thyroid medication daily and have a "permanent smile" on my neck.
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #224
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad I found this thread. I need a little advice. My two sisters and mother all have hypothyroidism. My youngest sister (age 15) was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at age 10. She has been on Synthroid since. She goes to a good Endo, but he is out of town, she lives in a small town, so she only goes about once a year even though she should be there twice a year. My mom is quite the procrastinator, which is why she doesn't get there enough and I live in a different state so I can't take her. She goes for bloodwork every 3 months and it is usually normal.

Anyway, she is visiting for the summer and is having a bit of a rough time. She has been exercising at our fitness center, eating healthy, but just keeps gaining weight (about 20-30lbs in the last year). She is feeling so discouraged. As you can guess she is overweight and I'm supposed to take her shopping for clothes and stuff for school. Well we went to Lane Bryant and everything looked bad on her (maybe they are cutting clothes differently now or maybe she just gained weight in weird places). Anyway, on the way home she cried in the car and I felt so helpless. I told her that I know she's frustrated, but we'll find stuff that looks good, we just have to keep looking. I don't know where because plus size clothing is hard to come by. Any suggestions for stores?

Also, I know she is upset because my other sister was a size 24 for a long time and is now a 28 and she really works out hard, but the weight just doesn't seem to come off. I think maybe she is afraid it will be like that for her.

To make matters worse, my youngest sister has a lot of facial hair that I guess comes with the disorder. Last time she was at the doctor he said she may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She is so self concious about it, she just wants me to wax it off, but my mom is a PITA and says don't do it because it will come in like a man's beard, etc. She had blood work to find out if it was PCOS, but of course, the lab lost it and my mom never called to have it reordered.

soooo....anyone have any tips, advice, suggestions for me or my sister? Being in high school, all these things are very hard for her to deal with. She loves to read so if there are any book suggestions, we are open to them. High school is hard enough without all this.

If you made it this far....thanks for reading
Me DH DD DD #2 my little babeski
Lisa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #225
teacups
DIS Veteran

I'd love to take a peek at her thyroid blood test results.
Thyroid is SO HARD to deal with, and if you are an unlucky one who doesnt react as expected once meds start, then you're really in for an uphill battle.

Does she have access to her tests? She should. And she should learn what they mean with some good research. Without seeing her labs, you could suggest that she ask her doc if her levels are ok... and where in the range she falls. You might talk to him about other meds. Or even other diagnoses...

I sure hope she gets help.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: