Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #2056
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well the endo knows I really cant exercise due to all my back surgeries and I am sure my hip is barely holding on right now with all the pain I am having.

I think the only thing I could possibly attempt is a treadmill at home. I dont even want to walk in the street for fear of falling etc. I dont even have a good balance anyway.
Yeah, that's a problem. I do most of my exercising in my basement on my treadmill. I am very sensitive to the heat so it works. But I occassionally try to get out and walk the poor old dog when the temps stay in the 80s.

So in early June I was walking my dog and I was about 1/2 mile from my house. Thankfully, I was with a friend. I was so busy looking at some barking Rottweiler that I step on this thick branch. My ankle rolled and it was slow motion after that. I spent a few seconds trying to catch myself from falling. I busted up both hands pretty badly as well as scraped my ankle. I thank god that I was wearing pants versus shorts or my leg would have been a mess. I had a split in my right hand and I should have gotten a stitch in it but I refuse to go to doctors!! My left palm was scraped and my left hip had a bruise that covered the whole side of my butt. I was fairly traumatized. Walking can be hazardous to your health!!!

Do you have any problems getting around Disney or do you have to use a ECV or anything?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #2057
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

When I am in Disney I rent a wheelchair. I use it like a walker and then when I am tired I will sit in it and dh will push me.

I do sit in it for the parades etc. There is no way I could stand for that long of a time etc.

I usually walk to an attraction then sit in it so I can sit in the handicapped section, like shows, since I would probably hold everyone up with how slow I walk etc.

When we eat I just leave it outside the restaurants.

I dont think I would rent an ecv. Those things are difficult to manage and a hassle to load into the buses etc.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2058
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Is there anywhere you could swim or do like a low impact water aerobics?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #2059
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Micayla - Thats an option but its a hassle to drive to dh work (they have a pool there) and its only for a short time its open and there are kids allowed too, but I might check it out sometime. Its called family swim nights I think.

Ds told me I could come to the pool where he lifeguards but its only 4 1/2 feett deep so I doubt it would help.

Oh I also found out why they kept cncelling my july endo visit months ago , like 3 times and then they finally gave me the early July date. My endo is going to Greece! So funny because she asked us what our summer plans ere and I said dh is going to Greec on business and then she said she was too with her 3 kids. (She is Greek). She says she goes every year. This lady is so skinny. I did notice that she was yawning during my visit. I think I was the last patient of the day (note to self: dont be the last patient of the day again).

Jenn - if you are following along, check in! We want to hear about your Disney trip! Of course I want to hear your Tutto experience.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #2060
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

I've got my last-minute trip finalized. I'm leaving at 3AM on Friday morning. God, I can't believe I'm going to drive.

Anyway, I am going to eat at the diner I love that is in Celebration one night.

I have ADRs for Sanaa, The Wave, and Artist Point. I also have one at the Captain's Grille for breakfast one day. I may add one more in while I'm there depending on how things go. Wouldn't mind trying the pizza at Via Napoli.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #2061
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Christine, your trip sounds great. Wow, you are brave to drive. I know there is no way I could take it physically.

Like your dining choices. Cant wait to hear all about it. Have a great trip!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2062
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Christine, your trip sounds great. Wow, you are brave to drive. I know there is no way I could take it physically.

Like your dining choices. Cant wait to hear all about it. Have a great trip!
I'm really not happy about driving. It's about 13 hours. In my Elantra. Oh, why did I not buy the Sonata????

The last time I drove to Florida was when I was about 24 years old and I went straight through to Stuart, Florida. It was a long haul but I was YOUNG. I have a hard time driving to my DD's university in West Virginia (3 hour trip each way) without feeling crippled.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #2063
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

I'm waiting on my test results. I'm 39 and haven't had a period all year. He said it could be anything from stress to thyroid. Waiting is getting to me.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #2064
Kristie13
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to join in-

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer two years ago, although this was during surgery to remove a growth and have been cancer free ever since. I developed hypothyroid after the surgery. Then, I gained 60 pounds in 4 months. This was partly due to the disease, and partly due to me turning to food to cope. Now I am trying to get rid of the weight!

I also have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroid disease.

Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow problem-thyroided friends!
Kristie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2065
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie13 View Post
Just wanted to join in-

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer two years ago, although this was during surgery to remove a growth and have been cancer free ever since. I developed hypothyroid after the surgery. Then, I gained 60 pounds in 4 months. This was partly due to the disease, and partly due to me turning to food to cope. Now I am trying to get rid of the weight!

I also have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroid disease.

Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow problem-thyroided friends!
Welcome!!

So were you having parathyroid surgery when the thyroid cancer was discovered? My last endocrinologist, who is now retired, found his thyroid cancer that way. He had a benign growth on his parathyroid that was causing hyperparathyroidism. While the surgeon was in there removing it, they noted that he had a nodule on his thyroid gland, so that took that too. It ended up being papillary thyroid cancer.

Did you not know that the thyroid surgery would cause you to have hypothyroidism? Maybe it was the way you worded your post but it almost sounded like you weren't expecting that. And, if so, why did they let you go so long without thyroid hormone replacement. To gain 60 lbs sounds as if it went on a good amount of time. I know that I gained about 10-13 lbs when I was off my meds for 6 weeks.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #2066
Kristie13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Welcome!!

So were you having parathyroid surgery when the thyroid cancer was discovered? My last endocrinologist, who is now retired, found his thyroid cancer that way. He had a benign growth on his parathyroid that was causing hyperparathyroidism. While the surgeon was in there removing it, they noted that he had a nodule on his thyroid gland, so that took that too. It ended up being papillary thyroid cancer.

Did you not know that the thyroid surgery would cause you to have hypothyroidism? Maybe it was the way you worded your post but it almost sounded like you weren't expecting that. And, if so, why did they let you go so long without thyroid hormone replacement. To gain 60 lbs sounds as if it went on a good amount of time. I know that I gained about 10-13 lbs when I was off my meds for 6 weeks.
Yes- I had the surgery to remove all 4 parathyroid glands, and have one redeposited into my chest. While they were in there, they took out half of my thyroid which had the growth. I had a biopsy done before surgery and it came back inconclusive, so they only took half out, sent it to the lab to be tested, it came back negative for cancer, so they left the other half and sewed me back up. Upon further "probing" into the lump, they ended up finding cancer afterall. Very frustrating since the idea was that if it was cancerous, they were going to remove the whole thing to avoid having surgery again. My endocrinologist had said hypothyroid would be a possibility, but because they were only taking half it wasn't for sure. She has been testing me out on various medications and doses for the hypothyroid, and the first 3 or 4 that I tried were not sufficient, and I didn't have the right medication until about 8 months after the surgery.

All Star Sports (99); Port Orleans French Quarter (93); Fort Wilderness Campground (89, 90, 91, 92)
Kristie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #2067
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie13 View Post
Yes- I had the surgery to remove all 4 parathyroid glands, and have one redeposited into my chest. While they were in there, they took out half of my thyroid which had the growth. I had a biopsy done before surgery and it came back inconclusive, so they only took half out, sent it to the lab to be tested, it came back negative for cancer, so they left the other half and sewed me back up. Upon further "probing" into the lump, they ended up finding cancer afterall. Very frustrating since the idea was that if it was cancerous, they were going to remove the whole thing to avoid having surgery again. My endocrinologist had said hypothyroid would be a possibility, but because they were only taking half it wasn't for sure. She has been testing me out on various medications and doses for the hypothyroid, and the first 3 or 4 that I tried were not sufficient, and I didn't have the right medication until about 8 months after the surgery.
I see. You had an experience similar to mine. I had a single nodule on my thyroid (and at the time could not be biopsied). My surgeon said that thyroid cancer was very rare so he was only going to remove half of the thyroid and also the isthmus. He told me that my remaining thyroid would takeover and I would not need treatment with thyroid hormone. So, while I was on the table, they did the partial thyroidectomy and they did an on-the-spot "frozen" section biopsy which came back benign. They sewed me up and sent me home with directions to report back to the surgeon in a week.

When I went for the follow-up visit, the full pathology was back and I had papillary thyroid cancer. This required a second surgery and follow up RAI treatment. I was put on thyroid medication after this surgery and I never really had a problem getting regulated. My first endo did not keep me suppressed enough so for the first 2 years, I had a TSH closer to 4.0 (I felt fine). When I got a new endo, he found that totally unacceptable and raised my dosage. I've been pretty stable ever since (about 17 years now).

Hopefully you can get your medication stabilized. It makes all the difference.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #2068
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMJ441724 View Post
I'm waiting on my test results. I'm 39 and haven't had a period all year. He said it could be anything from stress to thyroid. Waiting is getting to me.

How did your tests turn out? Hope all is well.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #2069
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Kristie - welcome. Glad to hear you are doing well after all you went through. Hope you get the right med dose. That helps so much and makes you feel decent too.

Christine - how was your trip??? I did see your post about how cold it was at the tea. I did the tea with one of the breast cancer gals the other year. It was such a nice time.

Well I need to make a bone scan appt. and the dentist too.

My neck has really been bothering me on and off. Maybe scar tissue? The 2nd surgeon did tell dh I would have problems all my life because of what he had to do to save my life. Oh well, its def. not fun for sure. One night I felt a "pop". Scared me for sure!

So how is everyone else doing???
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2070
Christine

My trip was very nice. It all went well, I didn't get too tired like a normally do, and had some good meals. I hate to even say this but I came back and found I had lost 5lbs. Now, most people would be jumping for joy, but the hypochondriac in me freaked out.

I have tried to rationalize it to all the walking I did for 5 days and this was probably the first trip that I did not overeat. I also only had one dessert the whole time. Well, two if you count the scones and the little bites of pastry after tea.

The 13 hour drive down wasn't as horrific as I thought but I don't think I'll do it again. I will plan better and just get the flights.

Our offsite vacation home was nice too. Five bedrooms, four baths. Everyone just about had their own bathroom.

As for the weird neck stuff--I've had weird pops too. It's like sometimes my throat gets "caught" in a weird place and locks up. It actually kind of hurts. Then in pops back and feels normal. I don't know what that's from.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: