Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #2011
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Define "oldie"

I was 30 when I was diagnosed. (after graves disease and hepatitis caused by an allergic reaction to PTU. Such fun!)

Had my surgery that Feburary, got pregnant with our only child that November and had our daughter a week before my 31 st birthday. She'll be 19 in August and will be 50 !
I was 31 years old. My second child was about 8 months old, I was in a good groove, feeling great, continuing to go to college even though I had a 3 year old, a baby, and a full-time job. That was the straw that broke the camel's back right there. Took me YEARS to feel right.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #2012
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I was 31 years old. My second child was about 8 months old, I was in a good groove, feeling great, continuing to go to college even though I had a 3 year old, a baby, and a full-time job. That was the straw that broke the camel's back right there. Took me YEARS to feel right.
I hear ya, with that "took me years" ! People without thyroid trouble can't appreciate the havoc it wrecks! Thank the good Lord, I am doing much better, and have found an endocrinolgist who I am happy with. My original doctor was an ANGEL. When he left private practice for research, I hated the replacement, but foolishly stayed. This year I FINALLY changed and am much happier!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #2013
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Christine and Singing Mom - I am glad we all have both of you to look up too.

I hope I am around for many more years to come too.

Well today I made my first adr for our nov/dec trip. Le Cellier for lunch. Hmm, what is it about that chese soup and pretzel bread??

And my game plan for Tuesday...get up and start dialing around 7 am for the Candelight Proessional. I am going to try for Whoopi Golldberg, really not a fan, but our other choice was Neal Patrick Harris and we already saw him and there is one TBA, but I want to spend that night in MK for our last night etc.

Ds 20 found some old, really old rolls of films ad took them to get developed today.

They was one of disney, so cute, chef mickeys etc. Well he said, heah mom, look here is your picture with a thyroid, you can really tell the difference,You dont have a big gap in your neck.

OK, gotta love cancer and neck dissections

Micayla - do you have a big gap??

I am thinking because the lst surgeon either cut out so much because that is where the 2nd tumor that was 4 centimeters was or it was from the other surgeon who told my dh he had to go in there and start chopping me up to save my life and look for the bleeder. Oh well. In that picture you can really see the puffiness though. Of course my gp never thought it was all that much and we all know how things went from ther for quite a few years. Never did a blood test etc. Just a sono once in a while.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #2014
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! No, I don't have a big gap. I have a white scar from about an inch under my left earlobe , to just under the left side of my chin. It changes there, and for the last few inches it appears to just be the 'crease' in my neck.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #2015
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well if you look at the breast cance on the community board thread page 43, does your neck look like that. You can see the large gap to the collar bone etc.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #2016
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well if you look at the breast cance on the community board thread page 43, does your neck look like that. You can see the large gap to the collar bone etc.
I just found your picture. I actually passed it by at first because I was looking for someone with a horrible thyroid scar and couldn't find one! But I did look harder at it and I do see an indentation. If it is bad, then the picture is not showing it. Really, it doesn't look bad.

I also have, in my mind, a bad indentation. I see other people who have had thyroidectomies and they have a totally flat neck with just a hint of a scar. Mine indents in right in the center where the collar bone meets.

I went to an ENT once (who also is a plastic surgeon) for my sinuses and she was really interested in my scar. She told me that the reason that it didn't turn out well was because when they remove the thyroid cartiledge, the overlying skin as nothing to stop it from attaching to the trachea and that's what mine did. She said she could fix it easily but, at that point, I was not in the mood for any surgery. No, it did NOT make my day that someone pointed out that my scar was not done right.

Anyway, I am fairly self-conscious about it but my friends swear to me that they don't even notice it. As I age, I think it looks worse but really what am I gonna do about it. One day, if I get savvy enough, I'll post a picture.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #2017
jepressley
Earning My Ears

Help / Commiseration

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your posts/stories on and off over the last several months. I've been recovering from a thyroidectomy due to papillary cancer 10/31/11. It has been a long and difficult road due at least in part to the fact that I was already sick with adrenal exhaustion when they found the cancer. Once I had the thyroid out it made me so much worse b/c the adrenals and thyroid work very closely together. So, long story short, after a long haul of finding the right dr. I have made tremendous progress and my adrenals are in much better shape. But, I am just now on a normal dose of medication (100 mcg) b/c my adrenals were so bad they couldn't handle the meds and I had to get them compounded in order to titrate up very slowly.

Soo, I am really struggling with poor energy, depression, and generally feeling crummy. I am single and self-employed and just not able to go back to work --- but at a very, very slow pace (2hrs./week). I am feeling discouraged because I thought I would feel better by now but seems I am getting more tired. Just had new bloodwork done on Friday and will see my DO this week to get increased to 112mcg. (Still going slowly but not as slow as before!) My last TSH was 15 (about 2 mos. ago at 70mcg). I had free t3 and t4 tested also and can post the numbers and/or the new ones soon.

Anyway, you all seem to be a kind, caring, and knowledgeable group and I am hoping you can give me some input and encouragement. Specifically, is how I'm feeling "normal" for where I am in terms of dosage? Should all of this improve with time, more meds?

I really appreciate your time and feedback.

Thank you,
Jill
jepressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2018
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I'm so sorry you had to go through that! No, I don't have a big gap. I have a white scar from about an inch under my left earlobe , to just under the left side of my chin. It changes there, and for the last few inches it appears to just be the 'crease' in my neck.
I was extremely lucky with my scar. My surgeon was excellent - specialized in head and neck surgery. It is not noticeable unless you really get in my face. Lol. I used vitamin E (oil) and sunscreen. He was really amazing. Very confident and maybe a little arrogant, but treated his patients like gold. Only time he faltered a bit was when I told him my concern of losing my singing voice. He said he couldn't promise there wouldn't be a change, but he would be extremely careful of my vocal chords. Apparently he really meant that, because when the chief surgical resident who assisted him came to see me after surgery, he mentioned the surgeon said " I have to be extra careful - she's a singer."!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #2019
mrsklamc

No, I don't have a gap like that, but I agree with Christine, I don't notice it as looking 'off' in your picture. I, too, should get savvy enough to post a pic.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #2020
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
I was extremely lucky with my scar. My surgeon was excellent - specialized in head and neck surgery. It is not noticeable unless you really get in my face. Lol. I used vitamin E (oil) and sunscreen. He was really amazing. Very confident and maybe a little arrogant, but treated his patients like gold. Only time he faltered a bit was when I told him my concern of losing my singing voice. He said he couldn't promise there wouldn't be a change, but he would be extremely careful of my vocal chords. Apparently he really meant that, because when the chief surgical resident who assisted him came to see me after surgery, he mentioned the surgeon said " I have to be extra careful - she's a singer."!
Singing for me actually got better (not a singer, just in church.) I hadn't realized how much it was compressing my airway. (I was 29 and they said I had probably had it for 20 years.)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #2021
dischick4778
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well I scheduled my sono. Its going to be July 9th,

hmm Jenn, same day you are going to WDW. Where are you eating?? Of course I am disney obsessed with the food. I really think a lot of it has gone down in quality and up in price. I guess the only good thing would be if your take your little one to a character meal. Its air conditioned and then you dont have to wait out in the heat to meet those characters etc. We use to always go in August. I am sure the July heat is bad too. One word: Pool!!!

Does anyone else feel like this?? You try to put the cancer in the back of your mind and then when you are making appts, it just puts it right back up there. Like right now I feel like a knot in my stomach. I am gonna have to have some serious prayer time later I think. This is also right after I am teaching vbs, I think I will be exhausted and glad to lay on that table for 30 min.

Still trying to work out something for the F and W. That is not going well. Cant get a decent room or flights etc. I will wait a while longer. Hoping for an ap discount or that we can use some of dh ff miles for a hotel room.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Good luck with your sono! I will be thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts from WDW. We have ressies at Le Cellier, Liberty Tree, Bongos, Tutto Italia, Kat Kora's place, O'Hana, The Wave, and breakfast at Chef Mickeys.

Tomorrow is two years since my surgery, it is a scary feeling still. I remember that day so clearly and never want to go through that again. Just thankful for every good Dr. visit.
1986, offsite 1988, offsite 1996, Dixie Landings 1998, Coronado Springs 2001, Caribbean Beach Resort May 2002, Port Orleans French Nov. 2002, Old Key West Aug. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2004, Animal Kingdom Lodge Aug. 2005, Grand Californian Aug. 2005, Old Key West Nov. 2005, Boardwalk Villas Aug. 2006, Saratoga Springs Nov. 2006, Boardwalk Villas July 2007, Old Key West Nov. 2007, Beach Club Villas Nov. 2008, Boardwalk Villas Apr. 2009, All Star Music Aug. 2009, Old Key West June 2011, AKV Kidani Village July 2011, AKV Kidani Village

~Our Disney Family~
dischick4778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #2022
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepressley View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your posts/stories on and off over the last several months. I've been recovering from a thyroidectomy due to papillary cancer 10/31/11. It has been a long and difficult road due at least in part to the fact that I was already sick with adrenal exhaustion when they found the cancer. Once I had the thyroid out it made me so much worse b/c the adrenals and thyroid work very closely together. So, long story short, after a long haul of finding the right dr. I have made tremendous progress and my adrenals are in much better shape. But, I am just now on a normal dose of medication (100 mcg) b/c my adrenals were so bad they couldn't handle the meds and I had to get them compounded in order to titrate up very slowly.

Soo, I am really struggling with poor energy, depression, and generally feeling crummy. I am single and self-employed and just not able to go back to work --- but at a very, very slow pace (2hrs./week). I am feeling discouraged because I thought I would feel better by now but seems I am getting more tired. Just had new bloodwork done on Friday and will see my DO this week to get increased to 112mcg. (Still going slowly but not as slow as before!) My last TSH was 15 (about 2 mos. ago at 70mcg). I had free t3 and t4 tested also and can post the numbers and/or the new ones soon.

Anyway, you all seem to be a kind, caring, and knowledgeable group and I am hoping you can give me some input and encouragement. Specifically, is how I'm feeling "normal" for where I am in terms of dosage? Should all of this improve with time, more meds?

Thank you,
Jill
Welcome. I dont have any experience with dosing up,just down for me. I am at 150 now and started out at 200.

Have you ever gone to an endocrinologist? I rally wouldnt trust my own gp with my thyroid stuff. He is clueless and was the one who couldnt even figure out I had cancer to begin with especially with all the symptoms I had.

It does take a while to get on the right dose that will make you feel like your new you, so hang in there. Its a process for sure.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #2023
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Singing for me actually got better (not a singer, just in church.) I hadn't realized how much it was compressing my airway. (I was 29 and they said I had probably had it for 20 years.)

This is one of the things I am most sad about. Before all of this happened I was about to join the choir. Some people told me what a good voice I had. Well that is no more.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #2024
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
No, I don't have a gap like that, but I agree with Christine, I don't notice it as looking 'off' in your picture. I, too, should get savvy enough to post a pic.
I dont know how to post a picture. It was actually Tuffcookies (cindys) picture her beau took of us when we ran into each other at the Swan.

The worst thing in my gap which you cant see in the picture is my beating vein/artery or whatever it is. It is really freaky. This is what was left after the lifesaving stuff.

Even my ds say its creepsy, even the one ds who is going to nursing school. I dont know how to describe it. It looks like my neck is beating right under the skin. Really weird. Oh well, it is what it is. I am just thanking God he saved my life (and dh always reminds me how he pushed the bed to the or etc).
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #2025
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepressley View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thank you,
Jill
I'm not sure I can comment on the adrenal issues. I have heard of adrenal fatigue; however, monitoring that is not something most mainstream doctors (endocrinologists or GPs) even bother with.

As for your thyroid. Your TSH is too high. At 15, no wonder you are tired. Is there a specific reason that your doctor is going so slowly with getting you to a proper TSH range? Your surgery was roughly 9 months ago. I would think that, at this point, your TSH should have been stabilized down to the "close to zero" mark. As a newly diagnosed, thyroid cancer patient, this is the time for TSH suppression and you need to work on that. I think once you get your TSH into an optimal range, only then will you *start* to feel better.

Have you had any radioactive iodine treatments since your surgery?

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: