Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1831
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Tina - I am so sorry you are going all through this again

As the others have said, def. go and get a new blood test for sure.

Sorry to hear that you and the repro. endo were not on the same page about things. Hopefully you can find a new one after you move. Have you checked out those that are associated with a teaching hospital.

I know even when my own endo didnt know what to do about my bp problems, she honestly admitted to me that she shared my case with another endo since its a teaching hosp. and its a large staff etc. The other dr. told her to add a different bp med to the one I already take.

So in your case also it might help if there is more than one dr. looking at you, maybe a team or dept. etc. Wishing you all the best.

Just wondering if you are taking the name brand synthroid or a generic?

Also when everyone says face flushing, just wondring if its full blown face flushing etc. I always had my reg. md say I had rosacea etc.

Well I went for the sono today. They found nothing wrong except for a small fibroid they said. I asked why I had all these problems etc. They said sometimes peoples bodys just go crazy, as in getting cramping and bleeding 3 years after the tt which threw me into medical menopause as they call it.

So PTL, so far so good and I didnt have to hear the word cancer again.

Mon. is my endo visit.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #1832
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post

There was an article in the local paper Sunday that mentioned how thyca is the 'good' kind of cancer to get. Boy did that Dr get ripped in the comments with people letting him know just how 'good' it is....
Did you comment too Micayla? I know that is such a topic on thyca.org I too would like to give people a piece of my mind and actually can you believe the person at the rad. onc. when I made my first appt., said to me: "You know you arent as sick as some of the other people we have here". Yeah, gee thanks. So I guess my coma and almost dying post op didnt count right? Honestly this lady had a son in one of my ds grade school classes so I didnt say anything. If it was anyone else they would have gotten an earful from me.

People who say things like that really irritate me!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #1833
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Hello ladies,

I am looking for a bit of advice and support. My thyroid has been plaguing my life for the last eight years. It all started after I had my last DD and I went severely hyperthyroid (post-partum thyroiditis). Well, then began the roller coaster of crap as I like to call it. My levels have swung back and forth till finally it settled on permanently hypothyroid. My meds used to be 139 mg of levoxyl and now I'm down to 112 because I was having hyper symptoms again this past summer.

The last few months I feel even more hyper. I can't sleep, my heart races, multiple bowel movements (including d.), I'm hot all the time and my periods are very light which is abnormal for me. Last time I had my TSH, FT3 and FT4 checked, I was borderline hyper but my doctor felt that if he lowered my dose, I'd swing hypo. I'm miserable, weepy and trying to hold myself together.

My question is this: Can some of you who still have thyroid glands and are taking levoxyl or synthroid describe your symptoms of hyper? My doctor seems really hesitant and is kind of disregarding my symptoms. I had bloodwork yesterday and am awaiting results. Thank you so much for your time and this thread.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #1834
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Did you comment too Micayla? I know that is such a topic on thyca.org I too would like to give people a piece of my mind and actually can you believe the person at the rad. onc. when I made my first appt., said to me: "You know you arent as sick as some of the other people we have here". Yeah, gee thanks. So I guess my coma and almost dying post op didnt count right? Honestly this lady had a son in one of my ds grade school classes so I didnt say anything. If it was anyone else they would have gotten an earful from me.

People who say things like that really irritate me!!
Actually since it had been thoroughly covered I commented on the fact that the article said you could have part of your thyroid removed if you had been diagnosed & that's no longer considered appropriate treatment.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #1835
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
I can't sleep, my heart races, multiple bowel movements (including d.), I'm hot all the time and my periods are very light which is abnormal for me. Last time I had my TSH, FT3 and FT4 checked, I was borderline hyper but my doctor felt that if he lowered my dose, I'd swing hypo. I'm miserable, weepy and trying to hold myself together.

My question is this: Can some of you who still have thyroid glands and are taking levoxyl or synthroid describe your symptoms of hyper? My doctor
What you describe plus I'm always tired but can't sleep, and I have anger issues....

A start would be switching to synthroid rather than levoxyl. This is the one med where, yes, generics have to be within a very small window of active ingredients, but our bodies are sensitive enough to thyroid hormones that 'extremely close' isn't good enough.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #1836
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
What you describe plus I'm always tired but can't sleep, and I have anger issues....

A start would be switching to synthroid rather than levoxyl. This is the one med where, yes, generics have to be within a very small window of active ingredients, but our bodies are sensitive enough to thyroid hormones that 'extremely close' isn't good enough.
Just wanted to say, Levoxyl isn't a generic. It is often priced as low as a generic but it is not a generic. I've been using it for over 5 years now when I became sensitive to a filler in Synthroid (povidone). I TSH is *slightly* higher on the same dose of Levoxyl as it was on Synthroid. Instead of always being at 0.3, it hovers at 0.5 on the same dosage.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1837
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Just wanted to say, Levoxyl isn't a generic. It is often priced as low as a generic but it is not a generic. I've been using it for over 5 years now when I became sensitive to a filler in Synthroid (povidone). I TSH is *slightly* higher on the same dose of Levoxyl as it was on Synthroid. Instead of always being at 0.3, it hovers at 0.5 on the same dosage.
I did not know that! I wonder if my endo would let me switch.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1838
kimmie
Sometimes I have senior moments ya know
The TF's are busy people and we are restricting posters to a one tag maximum :)

Levothyroxine is the generic, not Levoxyl, right?
I cannot take levothyroxine. As mrsklamc stated, my body is just too sensitive to the generic dosage.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #1839
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Just curious, does anyone celebrate their cancerversary??

I got the idea from the breast cancer sistas.

Mine will be a week from tomm.

The other year the one ds made me a cake to celebrate.

I usually say the day is the date I had my surgery to get these tumors out etc.

Some people say its when treatment is over etc.

I dont do anything special to celebrate etc. I just feel that me acknowledging it makes me deal with it better etc.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #1840
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
I did not know that! I wonder if my endo would let me switch.
Your endo should be happy with you on any of the brand names: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Tirosint, to name a few. All brand names, all proven effective, and they won't vary month to month.

I actually started out on Levothroid because they made a dose that Synthroid didn't. Levothroid was also $10 per month cheaper for me. Then Levothroid went up in price and, somehow I got on Synthroid. I don't know why. But I took that for years. Once I discovered I had a sensitivity to povidone and it was in my Synthroid, I looked for a thyroid med that didn't have it. That was Levoxyl. And it runs me $10 per month on my insurance or $20 for a 90-day supply.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #1841
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Just curious, does anyone celebrate their cancerversary??

I got the idea from the breast cancer sistas.

Mine will be a week from tomm.

The other year the one ds made me a cake to celebrate.

I usually say the day is the date I had my surgery to get these tumors out etc.

Some people say its when treatment is over etc.

I dont do anything special to celebrate etc. I just feel that me acknowledging it makes me deal with it better etc.
Not really. I'm not even sure what day I would choose. Usually when August passes I say to myself "another year goes by without a recurrence." August is the month I had surgery to remove it all.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1842
kimmie

Hey Christine what actually was your sensitivity to the povidone? (If you don't mind me asking)
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1843
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
Hey Christine what actually was your sensitivity to the povidone? (If you don't mind me asking)
Well, it took me awhile to figure out it was povidone but here's the story:

I used to take ibuprofen all the time for menstrual cramps, aches and pains, etc. In fact, I'm sure I abused. Anyway, one day after I took it, about 20 minutes later, I gut an itchy hive on my chest. I didn't think much of it. Figured it might have come from playing with the dog. Then I started to notice that it happened EVERY time I took ibuprofen. So I figured I was allergic to iboprofen and I switched to extra-strength Tylenol. I was fine for a bit on Tylenol but even then I started to get the hive. It was always somewhere on my chest. Occasionally I would get one on my back right at the same level as the one on my chest. It was also only be one singulary, very itchy hive and would disappear in about two hours.

At this point I was getting suspicious but still didn't know what to do. On top of all that, my chest was kind of breaking out all the time and splotchy. I tend to be that way anyway so didn't make much of it.

Then my doctor prescribed Feosol, an iron supplement. I took this and I got a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, hive on my chest. I then realized that I could not be allergic to all of these things. So I made up a spreadsheet of everything thing I took and tried to find the commonality in the meds that caused the hive. The most glaring one was povidone. What threw me is that Synthroid and Sudafed also contain it, yet, I was not having big hives with either of them. After talking to my doctor, he said that it could be a "threshold" thing. Synthroid and Sudafed probably have tiny amounts. Feosol probably has a large amount, and ibuprofen and Extra Strength Tylenol have moderate amounts. But there's no way to tell. I stopped all the other meds with the exception of Synthroid and Sudafed (as needed). I was able to tolerate Children's Liquid Motrin and Regular Strength Tylenol as neither have povidone. I still had a slight, rashy look even after stopping things so I stopped the Synthroid and went to Levoxyl. I still get rashy occasionally, but not like I was. I will occasionally use Sudafed if I have a bad cold and I seem to be okay with it.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #1844
kimmie

Thanks Christine! Sorry you had to go through all of that.

I am having some trouble with facial ticks towards the end of the day sometimes. My right eye to be specific. I keep twitching it closed. If I make sure I am aware of it I can stop doing it! Really strange.

Anyone have this happen? Or muscle contractions? I find myself all tensed up sometimes.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #1845
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
Thanks Christine! Sorry you had to go through all of that.

I am having some trouble with facial ticks towards the end of the day sometimes. My right eye to be specific. I keep twitching it closed. If I make sure I am aware of it I can stop doing it! Really strange.

Anyone have this happen? Or muscle contractions? I find myself all tensed up sometimes.
Are your calcium levels okay? I think low serum calcium will cause this (damage to parathyroids more specifically).

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: