Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
BouncyTrouncyFlouncy
Earning My Ears

Pre-invitation Invitation?

Anyone ever do a pre-invitation invitation to get an idea of a number count of who would go/be interested in attending a destination wedding? If so, what did they look like and how did the results turn out?

We're thinking of doing a church ceremony and small cocktail-hour reception afterward and invite everyone including the extended family and friends (and any close family and friends we feel really wouldn't be able to or want to go destination), then have a SD ceremony and EPCOT dessert party reception in WDW some time after that. But we want to get an idea of how many people might actually attend the FL destination wedding before we start planning it all.

Thanks!
BouncyTrouncyFlouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

We did a save the date and asked people to visit our website to Pre RSVP. Out of 70 save the dates I would say about 10 actually did it. So not sure that actually helps. I'm thinking I would have received better results if I had it a standard stamped return envelope. .
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't bother with a pre-RSVP. Some of our girls have had success with them but most agree that it's pretty much a waste.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
purplegirl1818
Planning my DFTW!

I've heard of a lot of disbrides using pre-RSVP. I would use it more for knowing who WON'T be there than will.

purplegirl1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
WDWLover75
Mouseketeer

I had an Escape wedding so we were only allowed 18 guests. After my husband and I decided on a wedding at Disney and the date, we personally contacted the 18 people we most wanted there and let them know what we were planning and told them we would be sending a save the date very soon with more details. Our save the dates were very simple. It was a print at home kit I got from JoAnns. I used the Waltograph font and embellished with ribbon and crystal mickeys. We included an FAQ document as well as a link to our website where we asked people to pre-RSVP. The website also had details on all of our wedding events and hotels in our room block. Of those 18, one couple declined as the husband has issues walking due to childhood illness, however, she called me directly to decline. A few other people pre-rsvped on the site, others we just knew they were coming because they talked to us about attending, etc. in the end, my friend did attend without her husband and we invited another friend to attend who was not part of the original 18. So, by the time the invitations went out, it was really more of a formality, it wasn't a question of if people were coming, it was when they were arriving and leaving.

Our wedding was 5 months from the day we got engaged so things moved very quickly. It was essential to get information in people's hands as quickly as possible as the save the dates were instrumental in doing that.

Last edited by WDWLover75; 07-19-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Edited to add picture
WDWLover75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
PoshMeld
Earning My Ears

I'm doing pre-rsvp's since the number of guests will determine where the wedding will be. I already have a guestimate by just talking about it but by sending an official pre-rsvp, i'm
Thinking people might take this more seriously. Since I put it in a way that people understand that their rsvp determines important details of the special day, i'm guessing they will rsvp "seriously".

I'm making 3 types of cards, rsvp by e-mail/phone, one in french, and then one with a pre-stamped envelop for the older guests (and those who I presume won't come but will send me a congrats check! ;-)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
majix
Earning My Ears

We're thinking of sending them too.
Our wedding isn't until next year (October) but we are going to Orlando this year so were hoping to have approximate maximums by then.
I'm concerned that just asking people verbally they won't want to decline, but sending them the Save the Date might give them time to think about it and tell us the truth.

We have the save the dates ready to print we just don't know if over a year out is far too early?! Or if we even should!?
(Our guests are coming from the uk and canada)
majix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
twinkybel81
Earning My Ears

We did ours pretty informally. We sent out individual messages to everyone on Facebook to gauge feasibility of people we wanted to be there actually coming. Made a point of explaining in the message that we didn't need a hard an fast yes or no yet, but needed a general idea of the number of bodies we could expect to be there, since that number determines what kind of wedding and which venues we can/can't use.

It's worked out ok. Still have to nudge some people, an still had to explain more details to some, but overall it worked pretty well for getting a general idea if numbers to plan for.

HTH. :-)
twinkybel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majix View Post
We have the save the dates ready to print we just don't know if over a year out is far too early?! Or if we even should!? (Our guests are coming from the uk and canada)
We sent our STD a little shy of the 12 month mark. I wanted to wait until Disney confirmed our date before sending it. I actually got a few people that thanked me for sending so far in advance because it gave them time to plan.
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #10
lirija
Real Live Pirate Grrrl!

This is a tough one, as with any destination wedding. I did an informal poll at various family gatherings, and people were pretty up-front about whether they would be able to realistically attend. I have a very good idea on this basis, and feel comfortable sending out save-the-dates knowing over 90% will RSVP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: