Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #31
mruhaak
DIS Veteran

I love it.... husband and wife bickering on the message boards...
mruhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #32
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank56
Good report, we were on this cruise also. Hope you had as great a time as we did.

The whole Agony Air (US AIR's first nickname) and car rental experience is one major reason I drove the RV there and back.

Oh my...Agony Air...I'm definately going to steal that one. that's a classic. Actually this trip wasn't too bad on USScare...how far did you drive the RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherForce
Personally, I always assume that the wife is smarter than the husband.

I know my DW is a genius.

She married me.

I couldn't agree more re: my DW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejejoemmiev
Please make a point to mention how dropping the rental off at Port Canaveral went as I am about to book with Budget to do the same.
That will be in my next installment...sometime this week. Please do yourself a favor, though, and read my recommendation about joining their frequent renters club! no one deserves to go through that much waiting. Well, maybe Sleepydog...but only for leaving the daughter behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruhaak
I love it.... husband and wife bickering on the message boards...
We don't bicker, we exchange loving comments.
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #33
hank56
Earning My Ears

Only drove the RV from Maryland, it was great staying at Jetty Park in PC the night before the cruise. All in all it was well worth the extended drive.

For those who don't know USAIR was originally Allegany(sp) Air, hence agony air, amazing I still remember that from the sixties.
December 06, Coral Princess Panama
hank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #34
J&ADisneyMom
Mouseketeer

Hi Dzell, great report... you're cracking me up.

We were at MNSSHP on Thurs and then on the ship, too. Actually, we were almost directly across the ship from you. You were in the 8000's port side, aft, right? I walked by your room one day and saw your door signs. We were 8598 starboard, aft. You and Hank were neighbors. He was 8034, midship port side-right near the mid ship elevators. Did you make the dismeet? I was there long enough to meet Smooch and Hank.

Hi Hank, welcome home. I watched you pull out of the parking lot at the port in that big beautiful RV of yours. Glad you had a safe trip home. I'm bummed I never got to see your suite. Do you have pictures? (sorry for the highjack!)

Shell
Aug 06-POP for free dining!
MNSSHP Oct 19 06
Disney Magic Oct 21-28 06 for our 10th anniversary
(one night at Pop prior and one night at Carribean Beach following)
Aug 07-POFQ Free Dining and P&P Party!
Feb 14-23, 2008- Off site Family Reunion
Nov 20-29, 2008- MVMCP and DCL Thanksgiving Double Dip

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2u9ep3x318u4q.png[/img]
J&ADisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #35
mruhaak
DIS Veteran

We don't bicker, we exchange loving comments. [/QUOTE]

Oh, yes, of course! We exchange lots of "loving comments" too...
I could really relate to the waiting in line/cell phone situation. It sounded just like us...
mruhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #36
Our2Girls&Disney
DIS Veteran

Subscribing. Keep going!
2006 - Coronado Springs Resort
2008 - Wilderness Lodge
2007, Present - Offsite Deer Creek RV Resort
Our2Girls&Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #37
APinCA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell
no one deserves to go through that much waiting. Well, maybe Sleepydog...
For making us wait for his next installment!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #38
DisneyZell

Chapter 5 - Getting ready to board the ship!

My excuse for not posting every single day is that I can't post part of the TR from work...as no good post is worth the time unless you can at least post a picture. As the pics are all on my PC at home...we all have to wait. But anyway, thank you all for your kind comments. for those that were sincere, thank you, for those of you that are lying, thank you as I need all the positive feedback I can get.

I left off as we had gone to the Radisson. Not a bad place to stay. Nothing fancy either, and unfortunately we didn't know at the time that the Residence Inn was open. We are Disney fans first, and Marriott second, so that would have made sense. But it all worked out for us.

Unfortunately for our neighbors, not so much. When they checked in they went to their room to be greeted by bugs (they think they were ants) in the bathroom. They called the front desk who sent someone up to take a look. At that point they were willing to have it sprayed and taken care of. But while waiting for the guy to come DNW (Disney Neighbor Wife for those of you not following along) pulled down the bedspread and out run more bugs. EWWWWWWWW.

Needless to say when the guy arrived spraying was no longer an option. Now, a couple things here. One is that for the most part DW did the planning, so the fact that out neighbors were even staying there was because of us. The second is that if we had found the bugs we wouldn't be staying there any longer. This did turn out OK, though. They ended up getting a clean room (read that: without bugs), and got the room for free. so this of course helped the old vacation budget.

But I digress.

the next morning we trade phone calls. At this point our kids know we were at WDW, but have no idea that their best friends and neighbors are somewhere in that same hotel. We agree to meet at the lobby. We got there early and waited in our car. DW hopped out to get the reunion on video (we are sick that way). They ended up pulling up and parking and then walking toward the lobby. BOTH of their kids look straight at me in the car and say "hey, isn't that Mr. Zell?". Their parents play it off nicely "oh that's just someone who happens to look like him.

I hop out of the car, open the back door and get the kids to hussle out and go see their friends. Then, it was Pandemonium.

OK, not really. They actually didn't act as excited as I expected. I think it was the shock. Not 100% sure, but that had to be it.

We made a quick executive decision. They still didn't know they were going cruising so we decided we would tell them. DW had made these cool T-shirts...each kid had a character (that conveniently matched their characted on the door signs, but that comes later) on the front and the back had Disney Cruise and all the Classic characters. here is what it looked like:

Cute, huh? This is DW's forte, if that is a word. She does creative. I'm lucky to have her. oh I can do door signs and computer stuff, even some video stuff, but she is a scrapbooker like you have never seen. But again I digress.

So we pass out the t-shirts and they all finally DO get excited!

So now we were down to the important hours. We had alot of discussions and research about what time we should be at the terminal. I realize that folks on the boards say no reason to be there before 10am, but we really wanted to upgrade. The first cruise we took we had a balcony, but here had booked a porthole room. Not that there is anything wrong with a porthole room, but we really wanted to upgrade. Really. I believe at some point when we booked I was one of the posters who got flamed for asking about free upgrades.

Tip: don't ask about free upgrades. you might get one...and definately share that here, but if you ask about free upgrades on this board, prepare to be flamed. it's not fair and doesn't make sense...but people get very upset when you want somethin' for nothin'.

We had decided to drop the wives off, and that we (the hubbies) would drop cars and get a few other essentials. DNH and I wanted to drop the ladies at 8. I mean...they would have no kids...would be hanging out chatting...you can't beat that, right? DW and DNW wanted to go at 9.

So we drove over around 8:45 (give or take a few). The best part was rounding the corner and seeing the ship. Naturally this was the second time for us seeing this (from Cruise #1), but it was cool. The kids loved it...and of course that's all that matters. We dropped off the ladies, headed back to Cocoa Beach when my Cell phone rings. Somebody (DNW) forgot to give somebody (DNH) the luggage tags . As they were going to be inside that just wouldn't work. So it was Deja-vu again as we went to see the ship again.

Quick side note into what the Wives dealt with. Well, they went and asked the guard where to stand. He pointed out that the terminal didn't open until 10. They agreed, but told him they wanted to get in line anyway. He laughed. Can you believe that? He laughed and then pointed them over to another woman already standing in line. Did I mention that DNH and I wanted to drop them at 8???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? someone else beat us there. Terrible.

sorry, I keep getting sidetracked. So we drive to Cocoa Beach and hit IHOP (no point in rushing back to the terminal only to wait), ate a nice breakfast (I recommend the stuffed waffles...they are very good, and yes, the diet has been dying a slow and painful (actually tasty) death).

By the time we finished it was after 10. We had figured out that it would be nice to drop our luggage while we still had 2 rental cars, so we headed to the port.

*WARNING****TIP COMING****WARNING**** (don't worry, I'll get sick of doing this eventually)

GREAT IDEA! we bumped into a few folks on the rental car van that had not dropped their luggage and then would have to deal with that at the port. so if you rent a car (and can have someone go inside to wait so you get your cool boarding number), drop your luggage. you actually go inside the gate and right to the wherehouse (which is underneath the terminal). The porters are there (wonderful creatures) who pull it out of the car and in minutes you are on your way. (but don't forget your luggage tags!)

I had rented my car from Budget (if you didn't remember that, read that painful episode in the airport from earlier in this TR), and DNH from Avis. So we dropped my car off and we all piled in their mini-van. After the fiasco of picking up the Budget car...I have to say I was impressed. They were helpful, friendly and I was out of there very quickly.

Then, being the males that we are we head for the grocery store to pick up the essentials (alcohol). DW had scoped out the rolling collapsible coolers and both families had scored a New England Patriots cooler! woohoo! (probably not as exciting for those not in NE).

We hit the grocery store there (can't for the life of me remember the name, but can't imagine it's very important to this portion of the story). We hit the beer Aisle. Now, note that compared to Sleepydog and FatherForce we are lightweights. A beer, maybe 2 a night. That's it. So don't expect alot of drunken stories here. So I picked up a 12 pack, he picked up a 12 pack. we picked up a 12 pack of some fru-fru drink (Bacardi something or another with fruit flavors) for the ladies. We also picked up 2 big bottles of Marguerita mix, 1 bottle of Strawberry Daqueri (do they have to spell these things so weird???), and 1 bottle of Pina Colada mix (with some of that liquid Coconut woohoo!). Now, we are two families of 4 (that's a total of 8), and 4 of those can't drink. Hmm. Do we have enough?

At that point we realize that the grocery store does not sell hard liquor. bummer.

*****WARNING*****TIP COMING*****WARNING****** (maybe I won't)

If all you are going to buy is Beer and Alcohol, just go to the ABC liquor store up the street from the grocery store. Talk about your wasted trip. while the liquor store might have cost a bit more, we could have gotten other things like the Daqueri mix that already has alcohol...live and learn.

So we ventured to the liquor store and bought one of those huge bottles of rum. you know, the kind that you have in your liquor cabinet for years? Did I mention we were going on the Magic for 7 nights?

With everything packed we headed to Avis to drop the car and catch the shuttle back. Here is where we bumped into a family that had not dropped their luggage and I'm pretty sure were crusing 3-4 back to back cruises. they really filled up the bus. Frankly I don't think we would have been able to get on if we had our luggage too. Live and learn. And yes, we felt it important to point out that they could have dropped their luggage. This is what we do.

We had called and found out that it was a no-go on the upgrade

We arrived and went inside, sliding our rolling coolers (clink, clink) through the xray with no issue. The only problem we had was having DNS9 (Disney Neighbor Son 9, come on everyone) carry the Rum. Huh. Guess that makes sense.

We waltzed up and stood in line. We then heard that because our wives were so early they didn't have boarding cards downstairs yet...they were told to get them upstairs. so they did...and here is what they got.....wait for it.....

wooohoo! a #1! you can't get that unless you are on the Concierge level...wait...no way...they didn't....

they said no upgrade. And let's just say we didn't end up on the Concierge level (dont' know if that's what you even call it). Bummer. but it was cool to have a #1 anyway. A couple pictures...

DNS9 (Chris), DS7 (now 8, Nick), DS4 (Connor), DND6 (Kathryn). Aren't they cute???

Inside the terminal. you can kind of see the characters on the front. Oh yeah, we all had them by the way. if you were with us on this cruise you probably saw us!

OK, that's it for now, sorry for the length, but had to get us to this point...

Next up: Chapter 6: Getting on the ship, to eat or not to eat and where to eat it...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #39
MickeyD
Mouseketeer

Finally! Geesh, what is with everyone being so sloooooow with their reports? Don't you all know that those of us that don't cruise for a while need these reports to keep us going?

Seriously now, you had no issues with the rolling cooler? How big was it? I keep thinking we need to this next time, just for the water...(yeah that's right...water )

Nuther question: How did your dwife do those adorable shirts?

Lisa

Also sailed: RCCL, Princess and Carnival and Celebrity at one time or another
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #40
jsfein
Mouseketeer

Just started reading your report ... its really good and you're not even on the ship yet. I just started mine and hope to knock it out quick before I forget what we did.

A quick question for you or anyone else in the know. How do you quote more than one upthread post when you post your response to multiple posts? I haven't figured that one out. TIA.
jsfein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #41
lindaso
We are just like the Incredibles...well, without the super powers!!

Love the t-shirts. I'm also a scrapbooker who makes shirts...although I didn't for this trip. The clearance shirts for 75% off at disneydirect were too good to pass up!!

I'm enjoying your report. Can't wait to read the rest.

TRIPS TO PLAN
ALASKA on the Wonder July 2014

TRIPS TO REMEMBER
June 2013 -- Disney Dream;

June 2012 -- Disney Dream Double Dip; Feb. 2012 -- YC; Feb. 2011 -- Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages; Feb. 2010 -- YC; Jan. 2009 -- Disney Magic; April 2008 -- Poly ; Nov./Dec. 2007 -- YC ; Nov. 2006 -- Disney Magic, Our 1st cruise; Oct. 2005 -- AKL, no kids, 10th Anniversary ; Apr. 2005 -- Poly; Oct. 2003 -- Poly; Nov. 2001 -- CBR; May 2000 -- ASMu; May 1999 -- ASSp; Jan 1990 -- Offsite; Apr. 1984 -- Disneyland; Nov. 1978 -- Contemporary
lindaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #42
DisneyZell

DW here--I know I should get my own login name, so maybe soon! I just wanted to respond to the tshirt questions. For the back of the shirt, I used a scrapbook sticker from my previous cruise and scanned it into my computer, then printed it out on iron-on transfer paper and ironed it on to each shirt. Note to everyone, make sure you reverse your wording so that it is backwards. Went through 4 shirts before I realized that I hadn't done that For the front of the shirts, I just found clipart from the internet and did the same thing as I did on the back. Very easy and inexpensive (esp. if you get the transfer paper on sale...reg price is about $10 - $12 for 10 sheets for a light color shirt).

For the rolling cooler, it was a good size, enough to hold a case of beer, bottles of alcohol, etc. It fit the dimensions to be considered a carryon for the airlines (although we did not carry it on). It was great to have...our cabin attendant filled it with ice every night so everything stayed cold! We will be bringing that with us on every future cruise we take!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #43
MickeyD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell
DW here--I know I should get my own login name, so maybe soon! I just wanted to respond to the tshirt questions. For the back of the shirt, I used a scrapbook sticker from my previous cruise and scanned it into my computer, then printed it out on iron-on transfer paper and ironed it on to each shirt. Note to everyone, make sure you reverse your wording so that it is backwards. Went through 4 shirts before I realized that I hadn't done that For the front of the shirts, I just found clipart from the internet and did the same thing as I did on the back. Very easy and inexpensive (esp. if you get the transfer paper on sale...reg price is about $10 - $12 for 10 sheets for a light color shirt).

For the rolling cooler, it was a good size, enough to hold a case of beer, bottles of alcohol, etc. It fit the dimensions to be considered a carryon for the airlines (although we did not carry it on). It was great to have...our cabin attendant filled it with ice every night so everything stayed cold! We will be bringing that with us on every future cruise we take!
Ok, that sounds easy enough, I think even I could do that!

Where did you keep the cooler when in the room? there isn't much extra space, especially with three in the room. I am glad to hear you can get that on and that the room steward would keep ice in it. Last time we forked out $35 for water bottles, and I would rather stop at the grocery on the way to the port...this way I can add a bottle of wine or two as well.

Thank you for the info on both!
Lisa

Also sailed: RCCL, Princess and Carnival and Celebrity at one time or another
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #44
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfein
Just started reading your report ... its really good and you're not even on the ship yet. I just started mine and hope to knock it out quick before I forget what we did.

A quick question for you or anyone else in the know. How do you quote more than one upthread post when you post your response to multiple posts? I haven't figured that one out. TIA.
It's pretty easy. The best way is to start by clicking on the "Quote" button which will do the first one for you (and show you how to do it). Just copy how it shows on the screen. Basically:

{QUOTE=screenname} whatever it is they said (you can cut and paste this part) followed by {/QUOTE]

note that you have to replace the { with [ brackets (I can't put it in there or it will just put this whole thing in a box...which wouldn't work). Try it, and remember that preview is your friend. Hit preview, then scroll down you will see the box where you can correct your mistakes (not that I ever make any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaso
Love the t-shirts. I'm also a scrapbooker who makes shirts...although I didn't for this trip. The clearance shirts for 75% off at disneydirect were too good to pass up!!

I'm enjoying your report. Can't wait to read the rest.
I believe the T-shirts we got were cheap as well...so it all worked out in the end. The only disadvantage to the white t-shirt was that...well, we have a 4 year old. And Napkin is not in his vocabulary. And there is DS7, who decided to pick his entire over-easy egg up with his fork...promptly dropping it on his brand new....very white shirt. Beatiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Ok, that sounds easy enough, I think even I could do that!

Where did you keep the cooler when in the room? there isn't much extra space, especially with three in the room. I am glad to hear you can get that on and that the room steward would keep ice in it. Last time we forked out $35 for water bottles, and I would rather stop at the grocery on the way to the port...this way I can add a bottle of wine or two as well.
We alternated between the balcony and the SHUB (Shower/Tub, again a stolen term which I will use freely). The SHUB worked best though because it was convenient and the ice melted more slowly. I think our room steward didn't like keeping it on the balcony 'cause she had to fill it more often.

I might get another episode in tomorrow, we shall see. I figure I at least owe you guys to make it onto the ship itself. Heck you never know...maybe we never actually cruised!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #45
curlybop
DIS Veteran

Love it! Especially the shirts - they're great. I plan on making DD one for her birthday next year, which we celebrate on the cruise. I'm a big time digital scrapbooking freak!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: