Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #16
Dixielady908
Grandma's Little Princess

dont keep us waiting too long.......enjoying so far...

Denise
1978 Contemporary Resort - 1979 Contemporary Resort - 1990 Off site - 1997 Dixielandings - 2000 - Port Orleans - Riverside 2004 - Port Orleans - Riverside - 2006 - Disney Magic - Eastern 2007 - Pop Century - 2008 - Disney Magic - Western 2011 - Disney Magic Western-turned into a Eastern - 2013 - Disney Fantasy - Western - 2014 - Disney Parks - 2015 - Disney Wonder - Alaska

Denise
Nanaheads Rule
Dixielady908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #17
Madisonznana
DIS Veteran

I 've been waiting so long for a new installment from sleepydog, when what should I find but a TR from Disneyzell
A great start but tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap this is me impatienently tapping my foot, waiting for more
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #18
Madisonznana
DIS Veteran

that was also me making up words!! Impatiently looks better!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #19
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

OK, I apologize profusely (no idea what that means, but it sounds good) for the delay. I, unfortunately, don't have as good an excuse as some of the other TR writers (something about dancing with a daughter in Indiana at a school, not sure if that's true, it has a funny ring to it though). Now that I'm done with my son's football video (something like 10 hours of work...sheesh, but it turned out cool.), I can move on to this ever so important TR. You do get the added bonus of pictures today, because I think I have figured that out. no promises, but we shall see

Now, I have seen in a few reports some comments about length, and how long it took the people to write their TR's. In the interest of those who don't have alot of time, here is the short version of my TR. If you are going to read the long version, you might want to skip the next 20 lines or so, I would hate to see you have the ending spoiled by those that just can't wait.

We flew.
We Landed.
We boarded.
We got off the boat.
We got on the boat.
We got off the boat.
We got on the boat.
We got off the boat.
We got on the boat.
We got off the boat.
had good time.
We flew home.

now, I apologize if I have ruined it for everyone, but I felt that it needed to happen. Now, on with the story...

Chapter 3: From Manchester, NH to Orlando WITHOUT our DVD players!

It was the day before we had to leave. To catch you up, DS4 has no idea we are going anywhere (and luckily he is not quite old enough to get it anyway), and DS8 thinks we are going to DC. So packing was done with a bit of stealth (we didn't know at what point DS8 would point out that perphaps 15 bags were not necessary for a weekend trip to DC).

I was the typical husband that ignored the packing, hoping it would go away and just pack on it's own. The interesting thing was that it did! I went upstairs and there were suitcases all packed! Crazy. DW was there, and I asked the obvious question:

"Where are my things?"

Silence, and THE LOOK. Husbands, you all know exactly what those looks are. Naturally, I was kidding . uh...yeah...I was.

So I got down to packing. I had spent my dutiful hours roaming the DIS boards, and knew that I should take what I want to pack and cut it in half. However, I also knew I wasn't going to do any laundry (two items here: 1. I'm lazy, and 2. I wouldn't want to take the time to do it, 3. I suck at doing laundry. wait that's three items...oh well). So I bridged the gap, pulled out and packed away my clothes. and we were all set.

And finally, after all the waiting...it was THE DAY!!! I had trouble sleeping Thursday night...a few people have mentioned that it's like the day before Christmas (or in this case the day before the day before boarding day). We got up, got the kids ready for school and shipped them off.

DW dashed to the kennel to drop off our dog and our neighbors dog.

***WARNING***WARNING***DIGRESSION COMING***
So, the last thing I need to do is mosey off topic, but I have to. I need to give props to our neighbors. They were smart. they went down on Wednesday before the cruise, spent a day at WDW, then had a down day, and then drove over to the port on Friday. So by the time they got on the boat they were beyond relaxed. it took me a few days to get relaxed, so I was behind. so this is a huge tip, if at all possible, go down a few days early. even if you don't do WDW, you can be in vacation mode the second you step on the ship...woohoo!

now back to our regularly scheduled program.

So we made it to the airport without much further ado.

As I have mentioned several times (or at least in my mind I have mentioned several times, if I didn't actually do that, go take a and relax cause I know I would like to!), I have two kids...DS4 and DS8. Every trip we have taken on the plan has always included various forms of entertainment. Video games and DVD players being the key items.

Note that both kids can sit at home and watch TV for hours at a time (not that we would ever allow them to do that ). But when we plop them on the plane, DS4 watches the movie for 3.5 seconds (I timed him) until he gets bored. So this time we decided to ditch the DVD players. This lowered the weight of our luggage by 5 pounds. Or at least our carry on luggage.

We grabbed McDonalds (there goes the diet!!!) chow down, and hop on the plane.

so now, wait for it...here it is, the first picture!!! DS4, DS8, and DW on that wonderful airline...US Scare! I mean...USair.

[IMG][/IMG]
How I got so lucky, I have no idea. don't worry a beautiful picture of me will appear at some point in the future.

If you look closely at DS4 (he is the little one, no that isn't just perspective making him smaller), you will note what look like battle scars on his forehead. in a span of 2 days, he fell off his scooter while waiting for DS8's bus (he hasn't learned that destroying your hands is always the better choice than letting your face break your fall), and sliced his chin on the counter at Best Buy (he kept trying to climb up while I was paying, 4 times of me, being the dutiful dad and saying "please don't climb", followed by smashing his chin. Of course I poo-poo'd it, thinking he had just bonked his chin. I was trying to sign the darn credit clip. Then I look back and see a HUGE drop of blood on his chin. I melted, what a bad Dad I am! we got some band-aid's, got him patched up (yeah, some bribery too, you might say GUILT booty), and he was fine. Note that this all happened within the last couple days before we left. naturally. look for the band-aid on his chin in future pics...it lasted a while. I guess I took another digression there...)

Being that we flew on the Scare, we connected through Charlotte. We bounced off the plane, I tried to talk DW into eating again (might as well be prepared for the cruise, and besides, I hadn't eaten in months!), to no avail . something about us just having eaten lunch. Huh.

anyway we made our way down to the gate for Orlando. Yup, Orlando, not Washington DC. DS8 starts to sing/chant like kids will do "orlando...orlando...orlando" while we are standing right next to the gate waiting to get on. We were waiting about 30 minutes before boarding and the one question I was expecting "why are we waiting to get on a plane for Orlando" didn't come until we were starting to board.

Being prepared for this, I stepped right in and answered with a completely straight face:
"we have to fly to Orlando and then drive to DC".

For those of you who are counting, this would be white lie #2. Or not, again depending on if I was referring to the Disney Cruise as DC, or Washington DC. Again, as I didn't figure out that correlation until later, yeah it was a lie. what can you do???

I do give him credit, though. He was puzzled as to why we couldn't get a flight closer than Orlando to go to DC. He clearly knew it was a long drive, but luckly had no idea that in Charlotte we were not very far from DC anyway. But again I digress.

The second plane ride was uneventful, we landed without issue in Orlando. We got off the plane, and we decided it would be a good idea to split up, sending DW with DS's to get the luggage while I went to get the Car.

Next up: Budget from hell, and MNSSHP (look it up if you don't know what that means!)
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #20
mruhaak
DIS Veteran

Just subscribing... I think I'm hooked...
mruhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #21
APinCA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell
"Where are my things?"

Silence, and THE LOOK.

Been there. Done that. (The LOOK, that is)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #22
DisneyZell

OK, you get a bonus entry today because I'm bored at work. Hopefully no one will tell my boss. anyway, hope that I haven't bored you all silly, but if I have I will refund every dollar of the fee you paid.

Now on with the story...

Chapter 4: Budget from hell, and MNSSHP

When I last left you (which, *ahem* was about, oh, an hour ago. Take that Sleepydog!) we had gotten off the plane. We split up and went our separate ways.

We had decided that renting a car would be the best and most efficient way to get around and to the Port. We had read that Budget was one of the closes with a free shuttle to the Port, so that's the direction we went.

Now, note that I'm a frequent traveler. I belong to pretty much every frequent travel club, etc. that is out there for the things that I use. When we signed up for Budget I had no intention to sign up for their frequent renter club because, frankly, I didn't think I'd ever use it again.

***WARNING***WARNING***BIG TIP ABOUT TO BE POSTED****
I recommend you join the frequent renter program of whatever car company you choose. You will very quickly see why.

So I come down the escalator, glance to the right and see a couple rental counters, but not Budget. Being a frequent renter I know that sometimes they don't have counters, they only have busses that you get on to go out to the rental location. So I walk outside. Huh. no busses?

AH! a sign! glorious signs. we love those. They sometimes tell you where to go. I continue to trapse along with our carry on luggage, up the escalator, wander the garage for hours (ok, it was probably 50 feet, but who's counting). I get to the booth, wait patiently in line, and then it's my turn. I'm thinking "wow, that was easy, I'll have to drive around in a circle a few times while DW waits for the luggage". I step up.

"Can I help you sir?"
"Yes! I need to pick up my car."
"Are you a Fastbreak member (see note above)?"
"Uh, no."

I mentioned THE LOOK in my previous entry. In this case I experienced THE YOU ARE THE BIGGEST MORON IN THE HISTORY OF MORON's LOOK. Apparently there was a counter inside the building. I tried to state my case, that I just didn't see it...but to no avail. I am banished back to the line with the common people (that's what they call those without the fancy free card).

Now, as mentioned, I'm a frequent traveller. and would have gotten annoyed if I was a card carrying member of {insert program name here} and had to wait behind the moron who didn't know you had to first go to the counter. Did that make me feel better? notsomuch.

anyway, I meander back into the terminal and take a look at the line. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? The line was longer than any ride line at Disneyworld. Holy crap was I in trouble. I register in my brain for the first time that I better give DW a call on her cell phone and let her know this was going to take a while. I dutifully get in line, pull out my phone and place the call. Her phone goes right to Voice Mail. I'm thinking "how can she possibly not have turned on her phone????". no point in leaving a message since her phone isn't even on. I assume she will turn her phone on at some point. Remember that.

so while in line I'm one of those people who make witty comments like "boy, looks like they were surprised that all the people who made reservations showed up to pick up their cars" and things like that. Truely the life of the party. But I actually did enjoy talking to the couple in front of me who were there on a Honeymoon, hearing about what they would be doing, etc. The husband was a crackup and did a nice job of keeping us entertained after I ran out of my witty one liners (which took about 3 minutes). I tried DW again on the phone, still off.

45 minutes later the couple in front of me got to the front when we noticed that a strange thing was happening (and I had called DW 5-6 more times...still off! ). Some people, after waiting in line had to move to the side and wait some more. We began to call this the penalty box and were really hoping to avoid it (phone call again...still nada ).

Finally my turn...and yes...off to the penalty box. It seems they had started the day with fewer cars than expected (I have no idea what that means), so we had to wait (and call...no answer...and call...no answer..and call...no answer). 20 minutes later, finally a car.

Now note that we got in at 5:30pm and I finally got the car around 7:00pm. again I call...and again no answer.

Note that I could probably have walked up and found them...to see what was going on, but I was a tad worried about losing my car. After being in the penalty box for a while, you don't want to lose your place in line.

So I drive around to the baggage claim, and there they are, my family! waiting patiently with our luggage. Interestingly, i'm getting THE LOOK again. Huh. I think smuggly that when she turns her phone on and sees the 450 missed calls she will realize it is her fault for not turning on her phone. We quicky discuss what happen, and I quickly point out that she should have turned her phone on so that I could call her.

Hmmm. Go back to earlier in this post where I mention that I had the carry on bags. Ahem. Guess where her phone was? Yeah. I had it. did I mention that on occasion I have been known to be a moron?

So...we have the car...and head down the road. A quick stop at McDonalds (yes AGAIN) on the way as we have a party to get to!!! DW tells the kids that we hear there is a halloween party around here...should we go? They both think that is a great idea...and it dawns on DS8 that we aren't going to DC. We ask him if it's ok with him and it is...but he still wants to go someday!

off to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! (MNSSHP for those of you who like Acronyms. of course I can't spell...so all of these long words are killing me.

couple of suggestions and comments about MNSSHP.

1. Check the weather. we were in jeans. not smart as it was hot as heck. you never know at that time of the year, but verify so you don't cook!
2. GO! this is a great event. they limit the number of folks who are there, so there were little or no lines on all the rides and it appeared they were all open (except Pirates which broke down while we were there). It's just Magic Kingdom, but do it!

Here is a picture of me and my boys:

Ha ha! just kidding. I don't look that bad.

Here is a picture of our family the only one we ordered from Disney:

yeah, that's me, the big orange pumpkin.

Highlights:
1. you each get a bag to collect candy. throughout the park there are candy stations where you can trick-or-treat. We ended up with more than enough candy for the Cruise, which was pretty cool.
2. here are the rides we hit: Stith's Great Escape (pretty cool), Space Mountain (woohoo!), Buzzlightyear (always a favorite). We tried to go to Pirates, but as mentioned it was broken down. The picture we tried to get in front didn't work...there was some pretty strong fog coming out of the building and it ruined any hope of a picture.
3. The fireworks show was unbelievable. it was set to spooky music and was really well done (as most fireworks shows are that Disney puts on).

it was a blast...we can't complain at all. It was tiring, and if you read earlier installments you saw that I was envious of our neighbors who got to relax before the cruise, but it was fun.

Still the kids did not know we were going on the cruise. they didn't even know what we would do the next day. so we piled in the car (after getting off the monorail) and headed to the Raddison at Port Canaveral for the night.

Next up: Chapter 5 - Getting ready to board the ship!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #23
hank56
Earning My Ears

Good report, we were on this cruise also. Hope you had as great a time as we did.

The whole Agony Air (US AIR's first nickname) and car rental experience is one major reason I drove the RV there and back.
December 06, Coral Princess Panama
hank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #24
FatherForce
Mouseketeer

Wow, getting to go to MNSSHP before the cruise.
That's Cool.

I'd still have tried to blame the wife for the phone.
As the smarter one, she should have KNOWN she'd need her phone

WDW 07 TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post21527693

Check out our WDW06 Trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1241106
Or our 06 Cruise :http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1254752
FatherForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #25
DisneyZell

FF--this is DW speaking now...don't worry, he did try to blame me for not having my phone. However, he got the better end of the deal. I had a 4 year old and 7 year old with 6 pieces of luggage and a porter guy waiting to get paid...all the while we are waiting outside at the curb in the most humid weather I could imagine! So, he gets the blame on that one.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #26
FatherForce
Mouseketeer

Old 11-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #27
DisneyZell

this is DH now...and just for the record, I believe I put in the TR that I tried to place blame, but then accepted all. FF, thank you for your support and I agree with you that she is much smarter than I...so you can extrapolate (geez, is that even a word) from there!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #28
FatherForce
Mouseketeer

Personally, I always assume that the wife is smarter than the husband.

I know my DW is a genius.

She married me.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #29
sejejoemmiev
Mouseketeer

Great start, can't wait to read the rest! Please make a point to mention how dropping the rental off at Port Canaveral went as I am about to book with Budget to do the same. Thanks!
sejejoemmiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #30
Dixielady908
Grandma's Little Princess

totally enjoying your report.....please dont make us wait too long....

Denise
1978 Contemporary Resort - 1979 Contemporary Resort - 1990 Off site - 1997 Dixielandings - 2000 - Port Orleans - Riverside 2004 - Port Orleans - Riverside - 2006 - Disney Magic - Eastern 2007 - Pop Century - 2008 - Disney Magic - Western 2011 - Disney Magic Western-turned into a Eastern - 2013 - Disney Fantasy - Western - 2014 - Disney Parks - 2015 - Disney Wonder - Alaska

Denise
Nanaheads Rule
Dixielady908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: