Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #31
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I was extra naughty and read your report, even though work is PILING up on me! I just HAD to! hee hee!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #32
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Mnsshp!!

Day 4 Part 2 Hooray for Characters!

It was time for MNSSHP! My DP and I decided to go as Pooh and a honey bee. We put on our costumes and boarded the bus for Magic Kingdom. We got a few funny looks, but the bus driver really enjoyed our costumes! She was very nice and wished us a fun time at the party! We got to MK just at 4PM. They had special lines set up for people coming in with MNSSHP tickets. We got our wristbands and we were off!

For this party, we were totally going Character Commando! The only other thing we wanted to do was see the parade and fireworks. Otherwise, candy and rides were superfluous! (Of course, it’s hard to *not* get candy at MNSSHP.) We happened to walk by the end of Let’s Have a Ball and saw Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip! We also got Captain Hook and Mr. Smee along with Wendy and Peter. We had time to see Genie, too before our Liberty Tree Tavern dinner!

At LTT we saw lots of familiar faces, and lots more costumed guests! (So this is where they were all hiding out!) First, we saw our TN friends from the Imagineer lunch! They had EXCELLENT costumes—Snow White, the Evil Queen (their mom), and the Huntsman! I would include their picture, but I don’t know if they would think it’s ok. Then, once we sat down, we realized we had exactly the same waiter as we had when we came to LTT before MNSSHP last year! How funny is that! I don’t think he remembered it though. We enjoyed the always tasty Thanksgiving-esque fare and met Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Chip. We got a picture in front of Cinderella’s coach over in Fantasyland next to Small World.

We had to ride Winnie the Pooh, and then we met the Seven Dwarves and the Evil Queen from Snow White!

Over in Adventureland, they had indoor “Character Trails” where you could meet characters and get candy. There were 3 different stations that you came upon as you wound your way through a maze of tall tropical potted plants. First we met Baloo, then Rafiki, and finally Terk. But, as we were waiting for Terk, we saw that Rafiki had switched places with Timon! So, we had to get back in line. Now, by the time we got back in line, Baloo had switched with King Louie as well. And, Jane had joined Terk. Well, as we were walking out Tarzan was walking in to join Jane, so we had to get in line for a third time to meet Tarzan as well! By the time we got around to him, Tarzan was getting ready to leave. Oh no! But, the character handlers remembered us (on our third time through the line) and made sure that we got in before he left! Tarzan was pretty funny. When we asked for his autograph (because we already had Jane and Terk), he said, “Tarzan good at signing name. Jane teach Tarzan. Tarzan practice over and over and over again.”

Next up, we met Aladdin, Jesse, Pooh and Eeyore. Pooh was in his bumblebee costume.

Then we met the Tweedles, Alice, and the White Rabbit. We went back for Piglet and Tigger. Somewhere in there, we watched the parade and the fireworks (HalloWishes is still my all time favorite fireworks show) and managed to accumulate 2 very full bags of candy! I did wish that there would have been 2 MNSSHPs during the course of our trip (maybe we should have planned that better), because I felt the same way I did last year—that I wished we could have gone again! Plus, I would have loved to see HalloWishes again. The candy selection this year was much poorer than last year, we thought. Not as much name-brand chocolate, and more filler, including disgusting gummy hamburgers. Ewww. Not even my friends at work would eat those when I brought them home.

It was time to take the bus back to AKL. We were tired, and we only had 1 park day left!
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #33
Disney owl
DIS Veteran

thanks for sharing

JUNE 1996 & JUNE 1998 JUNE 2005 DLP - Camp Davy Crockett
AUGUST 2000 & OCT 2002 SEPT 2008 DLP - Offsite
JUNE 2001 AUGUST 2003 & 2007, SEPT2010 WDW - Offsite
Old 12-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #34
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Food & Wine

Day 5: Wednesday: The last full day

It was our last park day, so we had to begin at the Magic Kingdom. We rode some our favorites again (Small World, Splash Mountain) and even met Brer Fox by the Frontierland Shooting Gallery.

We headed off to Epcot to finish up the Food & Wine festival. We saw 2 wine seminars that were interesting later that afternoon: Boutique Wineries and Inniskillin Icewines. While waiting for them to begin, we tried to find out about the preview for the new Nemo ride at Epcot. They were having a “special people” preview. The AP preview wasn’t scheduled to begin until Friday, and we tried to ask about getting it to see it, but no luck. Maybe if we had gone to Guest Relations and begged, we could have gotten something, but we wanted to go to the seminars, so we skipped it. And we knew we would have a chance to see it when we were back in December.

The wine seminars were quite fun and interesting. The Boutique winery that was featured was the Rudd Winery. We got to try some very expensive wines, which was cool. Then, we went over and finished out the last set of Food & Wine booths. We had escargots provencal and crème brulee au chocolat from France. We also tried the hot & sour chicken noodle salad from Thailand. We had pork pot stickers in China. Finally, we tried the traditional kjottkaker (meatballs) from Scandinavia. Yum!

We stopped by the Festival Wine Shop to look into buying some wine to take home. In the past, we were able to carry it home on the plane. However, the TSA had just instituted the “no liquids, gels, etc.” rule for carry-ons, and we didn’t know how we would get it home. Unfortunately, the folks (including the manager) at the Wine Shop didn’t know either. They said we should call the airline to see. Of course, calling the general airline people isn’t going to help when you are walking through the security line at MCO and get stopped by the TSA. They also didn’t have any reasonable packaging for either shipping the wine or checking it. So, that was a bit disappointing. I think they must have lost a lot of sales from people who couldn’t take the wine home on the plane. (They certainly did from us!) I was surprised they weren’t prepared to help people get it home.

It was time to return to the seminar building for Inniskillin Icewine. Now, we didn’t know anything about icewine before going. But, we learned that the reason it is so expensive is that they only get one-tenth of the yield of regular wine. They actually let the grapes freeze on the vine. Like all wine stuff, there are all sorts of rules that have to be followed so that you can call it “icewine”. This particular winery was from Canada, so it seemed fitting that right after the wine tasting, we headed over to Le Cellier for a Canadian dinner!

Le Cellier was excellent, as usual. This time we dined in the Northwest Territories section. We each had a bowl of the cheese soup with the tasty pretzel bread to start. Then we had the filet and mushroom filet for entrees, followed by dessert. DP had a Torontopolitan, and I had some wine that turned out to be from the same winery that makes the Inniskillin icewine. The reason we knew this was that the women who had just been making the Inniskillin presentation ended up sitting at the table next to ours! They were dining with some of the F&W organizers.

It was time to take the bus back to AKL and do a little packing before going to sleep. When we got back to AKL, the Magical Express packet was on our door. The bus would pick us up at 12:30 PM (for a 3:30 PM flight). We decided that it would be too difficult to get up, pack up, check-in, and get to the Grand Floridian for a 10AM breakfast at Park Fare. Plus, we’d have to rush to get back and get on the bus. So we canceled that reservation for the next morning. We looked out the window to say goodnight to the giraffes and went to sleep.
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite

Last edited by TiggerAllie; 12-10-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #35
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Great report!! You guys met a TON of characters!!!

I was so sad when our Magical Express hanger was on our door, it meant the end was near...
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #36
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

The long goodbye

Day 6: Time to Say Goodbye

We were tired from trying to cram in as much as we could, but it was time to go home. We packed up our room, and I had to call down to the front desk for a copy of our receipt. They had us down for Express Checkout, but the receipt wasn’t delivered to our room. The folks at the front desk said they would send one right up. An hour later, we were all packed and ready to leave, but still no receipt. So I called down to the front desk again, and they said just to stop by and pick it up. We went downstairs to the airline check-in desk, got our boarding passes, checked our 3 bags, and were ready to go. The resort airline check-in is great! It’s wonderful to get rid of your bags as soon as you are ready to go in the morning. It makes it so much easier to go to the airport and not wait in line to check your bags, not drag your bags around to the security station, and just go straight through the security checkpoint.

I went up to the front desk to get the receipt, but they couldn’t find it. They had to print it out again. I would say that in all of our interactions the folks at the AKL were not necessarily the best. After all this, we were too late for breakfast at Boma, so we decided to head down to the Mara to get something to eat. We missed breakfast there, so we were on to lunch. We got the tandoori chicken pizza, African house salad, and the squash soup. The soup was fantastic! I actually expected it to be similar to the soup from Jiko, but it was totally different. It was thick like a bisque and sweet—it kind of tasted like zucchini bread batter… Yummy!

Then, we were off to meet the DME bus. We got on, made a quick stop at Pop Century, and headed off to the airport. At the airport, things were quiet. We had plenty of time to browse through the shops. Happily, we found Lush! If anyone hasn’t been there, it is on the far side of the food court in between the two security points. It’s an excellent bath product store, with all natural products, from Canada. They have only recently expanded into the US. And, they repackaged everything so that it was in 3 oz containers and could be take on the plane.

When we landed in Detroit and went to pick up our bags, we were 1 bag short. We went over to the Northwest counter to report the missing bag. However, NW had no record of our bag—it had never been scanned by the airline. In fact, none of our bags had been scanned, even the two that traveled with us on the plane. Weird. I called AKL to make sure it wasn’t sitting in the back room there. They looked, and all the luggage that the airlines control were gone. The bag must have made it to the airport, because it eventually appeared in Detroit and they delivered it to our house the next day.

Ok… it’s time to sum up our trip to AKL! All in all, I would say that I did not enjoy AKL as much as I would have hoped or expected. We felt that it was kind of far away from all the Disney stuff. Also, using the busses did not work well for us. We spent too much time waiting for them and traveling from place to place. I missed being able to go to Downtown Disney. We didn’t even try to take that bus, because there just wasn’t time. The fact that we didn’t have a rental car and that we only stayed for 5 nights instead of 7 definitely negatively impacted our trip as well, but when I separate those things out, I still feel like I didn’t get as much Disney-ness from AKL as I would have hoped. I don’t think it was just that we had room trouble the first night—we had to switch rooms after the first night on our last trip to BC, but I really liked that hotel. I think the remoteness of it really got to me. I wish it felt more connected to AK—it’s a shame there isn’t a way to have a walkway or something between the hotel and the park. It’s hard, because I didn’t feel like we had enough time to see the parks, or enough time to see the hotel. If we go back to AKL, it would probably be concierge so that we could do the sunrise/sunset safaris. Right now, we are working on trying out as many of the resorts as possible. Our next trip is scheduled for the Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian. We actually just got back yesterday! Keep an eye our for my next trip report! It should be appearing shortly!

The End.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #37
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Nice report. Nice to see another Ann Arbor area DISer.

Thanks for sharing,
TK
Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #38
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

great report.
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
Old 12-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #39
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Great report! I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

I'm sorry to hear of your not so great experiences at AKL. I think it's a toss up for people on the location. DH and I loved it because it was a bit more remote, and we thought the busses were excellent. However, we had NOTHING to compare it to, being Newbies.

Have you stayed at the Boardwalk before? What did you think of it? We went there on our last day and we both loved the hotel and the atmosphere of it (not to mention the INCREDIBLE BAKERY!), and hope to stay there on a future trip.

Speaking of my last day...I should really work on my TR. I still have our Magic Kingdom and Boardwalk days to write about!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #40
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Hi All,

This report is all done, but you can check out my next report on our Christmastime trip to WL and Poly!

Gosh I love those APs!

(the link is in my siggie)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: