Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Our fabulous Disney Dining! Lots of photos -Day 8, Pop Century Food Court- Completed!

So we’re back from Disney World, and wow, did we have some yummy meals!! Can’t wait to share them all with you!

There was me – Julie, 25, and my fiancé, Conan, 27. We stayed at Pop Century, and were on the free dining plan… What a bargain!!

This was our first trip to Disney World, and our first trip to the US, actually! We’re from Australia - we visited Disney in the middle of a 7 week holiday around the US and Canada. We were pretty overwhelmed with the amount of food everywhere – much bigger than Australian servings!

I took lots of food photos, much to the embarrassment of Conan, but hey. It was fun!

So here’s a list of the places we ate during our 7 night stay…

* Table Service –
- Sci-Fi Dine In
- Raglan Road
- The Plaza
- Boma
- ‘Ohana
- Le Cellier
- Spoodles
- 50’s Prime Time Café

* Counter Service -
- Pinocchio’s Village Haus
- Liberty Inn
- Tusker House
- Lottawotta Lodge
- Pop Century Food Court

Just for fun, I’ll give each restaurant a score out of 5 little yellow smiley men…

I tend to rave in my writing, so if you like reports with lots of details on your food, keep reading! Feel free to ask lots of questions along the way!!

So let’s start!

Our arrival evening – Pinocchio Village Haus

We arrived at Pop at around 5pm, and checked in with no hassles. Settled in, unpacked, had a quick look around, then we were off to the Magic Kingdom!

We hadn’t planned anything in particular for this night, considering we weren’t sure what time we’d get there, or if we’d be too tired to do anything, so once we had a quick play at Magic Kingdom, we decided on dinner at Pinocchio Village Haus.

It was about 7.30pm when we ate, and the place was deserted! There was one other family there, and us! I took a photo of the empty restaurant, just because it seemed a bit bizarre!

After much deliberation about what to have for our first Disney meal, I decided on the turkey and bacon panini, which came with a packet of Lay’s chips, a drink, and a rice crispie treat…

My panini was fresh and tasty, except the bacon had lots of fat and not much bacon. My Lay’s chips were a nice treat for later, and the rice crispie? Luckily, I didn’t eat it - it was out of date by 3 months, which I didn’t discover until we were back in our hotel room. Very sad! So that had to go in the rubbish bin, unfortunately!

Conan had the pepperoni pizza, which came with a salad and the chocolate cake. He said his food was “alright”, which in Conan-speak, means, “Pretty average.” And it looks pretty average, too!

So overall, we weren’t really that impressed with what we ate at Pinocchio Village Haus. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t that great either!! I’d try somewhere different next time.

Our score – out of 5

Next up… Sci-Fi Dine In Theater, and Raglan Road! Yum!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2006 trip report - Two Aussie First-Timers in Disney!
My 2009 dining report - Our delicious Disney deluxe dining adventures!
My 2009 trip report - Laughter, Tears & Screams - Two Aussies in Disney World!

Last edited by AussieAngel; 01-02-2007 at 02:15 AM.
AussieAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Dani&TJsMom
Mouseketeer

Love your review! Looking forward to more!
8/2010 POFQ
8/2009 CSR
11/2006 CSR
5/2005 POFQ
9/2001 CBR
Dani&TJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Schucraig
Disney World is my World!

Thanks for the review! Can't wait for more!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
princesstigerlilly
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review!
THe 'out of date' remark caught me a little, and then it occurred to me that the date on the treat would be month, day, year here in the US. In Australia do you do day, month, year? My Dh is from Ireland and the first time his dad came over he thought all the bread in the grocery store was past it's date

Anyway, lol, I am looking forward to more!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Thanks Dani&TJsMom, schucraig, and princesstigerlilly for reading and making nice comments!!

Princesstigerlilly, I know what you mean about the date thing being backwards, but unfortunately the rice crispie bar really was out of date!! By 3 months. I would have returned it, but I was already back in the hotel before we noticed. Oh well! I had lots more during our week there, so I definitely made up for it! Hehee!!

(And the date thing? I'm still used to the USA way of doing it now, even though I'm back in Australia! I need to adjust back!! Ha!)

Thanks again, guys!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
princesstigerlilly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAngel
Thanks Dani&TJsMom, schucraig, and princesstigerlilly for reading and making nice comments!!

Princesstigerlilly, I know what you mean about the date thing being backwards, but unfortunately the rice crispie bar really was out of date!! By 3 months. I would have returned it, but I was already back in the hotel before we noticed. Oh well! I had lots more during our week there, so I definitely made up for it! Hehee!!

(And the date thing? I'm still used to the USA way of doing it now, even though I'm back in Australia! I need to adjust back!! Ha!)

Thanks again, guys!
Well, that really bites that the bar was SO FAR past due. Glad to hear you had plenty to make up for it!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your report ~ Lovely piccies as well.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
VistaLeigh'smommy
vista is my kitty
Takes her leftovers home but won't eat them

great reviews!!! I am looking forward to the rest!!

Married October 5th, 2007 at Sunset Pointe
VistaLeigh'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Caltha
Mouseketeer

Hello fellow Aussie. We are going to WDW in January with our three kids. Can't wait to read more of your reviews.
Caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
fizz13
Dreams about being stuck on Space Mountain

Thanks for posting, don't think I need to rush there then

DISNEYLAND Anaheim 2005 WALT DISNEY WORLD dec91,jan02,jan05:mystic dunes aug06: polynesian, oct06:coronado springs,
aug07: pofq, dec07:allstarmovies-wilderness lodge, aug09: popcenturydec10: mystic dunes
DLRP-1998 Paris2000 Santa Fe2003 Val d'europe 2012 Cheyenne2013 sequoia lodge
fizz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
serendipity
DIS Veteran

great review! I've eaten at the haus a few times but never really go for the food, it just has such a cute addicting ambience! How nice that you had the place to yourself, usually it's at max capacity!
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
BLUEAPPLE422
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear more........

BLUEAPPLE422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
Buzzandthemermaid
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your review.
12/2012-BLT & AKV Split with DW, DD, mom, and dad
8/2013-BWV with DW and DD
11/2013-OKW with DW and DD
11/2014-OKW with DW and DD

Proud owners at AKV-Kidani!
Buzzandthemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
dawgfan
from georgia ya'll

Thanks for the review!
POFQ July 2004
POFQ July 2007
WL Villas April 2009
POFQ July 2010
WL Villas March 2011
POFQ April 2011
POR June 2011
Off Site-Best Western LBV June 2012
POFQ-June 2013
POFQ- December Christmas trip 2013
ASMu- April 2014
POFQ-May 2014
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Thanks everybody, for reading and replying to my first review! It's nice to know people are enjoying it!

So we're up to Day 2, which was actually our first full day at a Disney park. Yay! We headed to MGM, and had a lunch ADR at...

Sci-Fi Dine In!

I'd read lots of negative reviews on the boards about the food at Sci-Fi, but the place looked like so much fun! We had to go there! It was our first time at Disney, and we were there to have fun, so why not!?

The setting of Sci-Fi didn't disappoint - it really was very cute! We were seated as "hitch-hikers" in the back of a car, behind a nice little family of four. The movie clips were fun too, with lots of wacky old advertisements thrown in for a chuckle!

So for drinks, Conan ordered a Cookies & Cream milkshake, which he said was delicious, and I had a pink lemonade. It's rare to find nice pink lemonade in Australia, so I was addicted to it while in the US!

Being a DIS nut, I knew what I was going to order at each restaurent months in advance. Hehee! For appetizer, I chose the onion rings...

(By the way, my photos at Sci-Fi aren't the best, sorry! It was so dark in there! )

My onion rings were delicious! At first I was blown away by the size of the actual rings - they're massive! There must be a whole onion in there! But actually, they tasted very sweet, and the outside was so crispy and good! I thought they would have been even nicer with a yummy dipping sauce, but they were great, anyway.

Conan ordered the 7 Bean Beef Chilli, which he also loved, and gobbled down extra fast!

For my main, I chose the BBQ Chicken Breast Sandwich...

I liked the sandwich, but it was SO big! It was kinda hard to know where to begin. It was very tasty though! I think I ended up only eating half of it, at most.

Conan ordered the Chicken Caesar Salad...

He enjoyed his salad, but thought it could have done with a bit more salad dressing. The chicken was good though, and the lettuce was nice and fresh.

And now the best part.... dessert! I chose the Chocolate Tart, and YUM!! It was SO good! Definitely the best part of my meal! It kinda tasted like cold melted chocolate, and it just melted in my mouth! I definitely recommend the chocolate tart!!

Conan had the Hot Fudge Sundae, which he really liked, but couldn't eat much of, because he was so full!

We walked out (or should I say rolled out!!?) of Sci-Fi, feeling really, really full. Almost to the point of feeling pretty yuck. I know that was probably our fault by gobbling down our appetizers and not leaving much room for the rest of the food, but auh! If you saw a couple of Aussies walking around MGM groaning and holding their tummies that afternoon, that would have been us. Hehehee.

Anyway, Sci-Fi was fun as a cute novelty, but I don't think we'll go back there. At the time, we thought the food was great - but comparing it to other restaurants we went to later in the week, it wasn't really that fabulous. Oh, except for the chocolate tart. That really WAS fabulous!!

We gave Sci-Fi out of 5!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: