Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
PrincessJasmine08
That is insane! I had no idea there was such a thing as a vacuum
I have a talent for making people's heads spin, among other things

What to say to someone who has lost a pet?

My best friend called me today sobbing, her dog died. He was old and died of natural causes, but it is of course still sad. She is in Orlando doing the WDW College program for 6 months so she wasn't there to be with her dog in his final moments. He was a wonderful 14 year old Golden, Cedar. She feels she abandoned Cedar since she moved to Orlando when she knew he was old and probably going to die soon. She got Cedar when she was 4, so she has had him forever (she's 22). I don't know what I will do when my dog dies. I will be devastated. I can't imagine being in her place. Because of this I am at a loss for words. I want to say something that will comfort her, but I don't want to make the loss seem insignificant. I just went to Hallmark and bought a loss of pet sympathy card but I would like to write a little note in it. Thanks for any suggestions.
PrincessJasmine08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!

Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!

Well, even though you didn't say a lot, you listened as she grieved, and that is the best thing a friend can do. You don't have to say much in the card, either. Keep it simple and honest...'I am so sorry about about Cedar, I know how much you loved him'. Just receiving a card with a few words will tell her so much...that you are thinking of her, that you care, and that you feel bad she is hurting.
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
robinb
DIS Veteran

I gave my neighbor a copy of the "Rainbow Bridge" when her dog died last year:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
PrincessJasmine08

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
I gave my neighbor a copy of the "Rainbow Bridge" when her dog died last year:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Alright, now I'm crying...
Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJasmine08
Alright, now I'm crying...
Yeah. It does that to me too.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
PrincessJasmine08

Anyone in the morning crowd have a suggestion?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

Say the same thing you'd say if it were a human...when you've had a pet for that long, he/she is a member of the family and it's just as large of a loss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: