DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #16
lizziepooh
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting. I don't think I would have recognized the red flags either. It all would have sounded logical to me.
lizziepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #17
Tine731
DIS Veteran

I am just sick. Its a shame you can't out her on this board. Does she even own a DVC? Thank you for sharing your story. I would have not noticed the red flags and just like you I would have thought about sending all the money. I have learned a lesson here also.
Tine731 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #18
simzac
DIS Veteran
Watched over by the Tag Fairy

I too feel really bad for the OP, what a terrible ordeal to go thru. I feel you should contact the police in the town where the money was picked up and give them the info you have, maybe they will be able to do something for you. Good luck.

DIS DAD MEMBER #672
simzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
jkevinmcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM
The email address? For the poster? No...I used PM to contact her, and then what turned out to be a cell phone number thereafter. I have a name, her cell phone number (which shows her name on my caller ID and it's the same name she gave me), the city where she picked up the money I wired to her, her screen name here on Disboards, and that's it...
You should report this immediately to Western Union, if you haven't already. You might be able to find someone there who can help. It seems a lot of on line fraud that occurs uses WU as the middle man. I'm sure someone there would want to tout a success story. Also, having a cell phone and a name might be enough for the authorities to actually find this person. DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS! I wish you luck and perservearance in pursuing this and like everyone else on this board, I applaud your restraint. Try this site, reverserecords org, and do a reverse cell phone lookup. Since I have so few posts, it would not let me put a link in here. There is a dot between them. We will be watching and hoping that you get some satisfaction.

Kevin
jkevinmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #20
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM
The email address? For the poster? No...I used PM to contact her, and then what turned out to be a cell phone number thereafter. I have a name, her cell phone number (which shows her name on my caller ID and it's the same name she gave me), the city where she picked up the money I wired to her, her screen name here on Disboards, and that's it...
I think they will contact you and come through. If you have this much information and just maybe you could read the other posts and see if they ever sent thier email address to another member or maybe that other member actually dealt with them in the past and can provide more information-I doubt they would risk a felony over this.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #21
Olaf
DIS Cast Member

It's very possible that the name he has is phony. Especially since she didn't want to show her ID to pick up the money.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #22
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

Another big thank you to all who've posted their sympathy and ideas since my last thank you!

A couple of comments: first, about going to the police: the thought has crossed my mind! But I think it's too soon (even if it does lessen the chances of successful resolution). It's still very possible the renter/poster isn't intending to scam me, but rather something happened to her that prevented her from contacting me...I'm going to give it til at least Monday, and maybe longer, depending on what develops between now & then...I think accusing someone of theft/fraud/scamming is serious and while it sure feels like that is what has happened (and the odds are it is), there's still enough of a chance that there's an explanation that to bring the police in at this stage doesn't feel right...

Also, contacting Western Union doesn't seem right to me, either...they tried to verify the identity of the person picking up the money...they made us jump thru a number of hoops...I believe they acted honorably and reasonably...I guess it would be worth checking to see if they maintain a list of people who use their services who do provable scams...but they certainly did nothing even remotely wrong in this transaction...

Bottom line: it's possible (altho not probable) that the renter/poster will get in touch w/me and there will be an acceptable explanation...right now, I would just like to get my money back (and I'm SO thankful I lost only half of it and not all of it!)...and unfortunately, I don't see any real way for that to happen...for her to refund my money I'd have to give her more information about me than I'm willing to give her at this point...either that or she'd have to use Western Union to wire the money back to me. It doesn't seem real hopeful.

Anyway, again and again, thanks for the sympathy and support...I too wish we had some system whereby we could post successful renting transaction results...sort of like ebay's feedback system...but we don't and I for one don't have enough "nerve" to ask the terrific mods of this board to start up something like that! I don't blame them for not wanting (not be able) to mediate disputes...and I don't want to lose the R/T board, either...I'd rather just "take my lumps" and get past it...pausing to note how wonderful this cyber-community is...you-all really have made me feel loads better...
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #23
Olaf
DIS Cast Member

The sooner, the better. If there's a video camera on the register at Western Union, it's possible that it recorded her. However, those are typically on a loop. The Disboard people might be able to help you with an IP address.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #24
Patricia721
Mouseketeer

I feel so bad for you! I think the earlier poster's advice to contact Western Union is excellent. They may have a fraud division that can help you. I think it's certainly worth a try & might prevent this or a similar experience from happening to someone else. The "red flags" do make this look like a scam.

I hope you hear from her & this turns out OK for you. Please keep us posted!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #25
castleri
DIS Veteran

Have you contacted the opther peole you said responded to her offer? They may have some info or at least appreciate a heads up from you if they are considering dealing with her. Do hope this all works out and that it is just some unfortunate set of circumstances that kept her from getting back to you and not really a fraudulent action.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #26
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

Not sure if it's within the rules to contact others who posted on her R/T offer thread...I'll check w/the mods...if it is, I'll be sure to PM them...thanks for thinking of that!
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleri
Have you contacted the opther peole you said responded to her offer? They may have some info or at least appreciate a heads up from you if they are considering dealing with her. Do hope this all works out and that it is just some unfortunate set of circumstances that kept her from getting back to you and not really a fraudulent action.
I agree, plus the past posts hold some possible valuable information-I mean there may be some past posts that may hold some valuable information.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #28
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf
The sooner, the better. If there's a video camera on the register at Western Union, it's possible that it recorded her. However, those are typically on a loop. The Disboard people might be able to help you with an IP address.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

If I were you I wouldn't give her any more time to disappear. If she is legit then she should have returned your calls. If something wacky happened to her then I am sure she would understand why you filed a police report after her apparent dissappearance with your $870.

I would file a police report ASAP (for fraud), file a report w/WU & find out what your legal rights are.

Even if she used a fake name with you she might have used the same fake name with somebody else (I'm sure you are not the first scam) & you might actually end up helping the police & others by making a report.

Good luck & keep us posted.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #29
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

1) I felt sorry for the OP and her sad story.
2) Unfortunately, people get scammed every day.
3) However, I no longer feel sorry for her.
4) Her post said she wouldn't call police, Western Union, or anyone else.
5) That says she is in denial or just wanting to not pursue the problem.
6) Such in-action allows crooks to survive and even prosper.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #30
eileenkeeney
Whatever

We are not allowed to state the user id (or name) of someone, even if you are only stating absolute facts?
It has been a long time since I read the rules.

So there is someone, who had points for rent, where exactly half the value of the points is $800, who has a low post count, and the message has several replies indicating someone has pm'd them.

The risk of not stating the user id is that someone (such as myself) may look at the board, find a posting which meets this criteria (which I was able to quickly do) and I may then assume the culprit is that person.

Of course, if the person does this again, they likely will not use the same id anyway, so I guess it may be pointless to mention the user id.
The most valuable information may actually be the details which a person can use to avoid making the same mistake.

Good Luck, I hope you get the reservation you need.
Lego is my favorite toy, but they should leave the theme park business to Disney.
DVC owner
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: