Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Dog Medical question

We adopted a 4 yr old Brittany Spaniel Mix in Nov.(so we are new to all this). We took him to the vet on Friday. He has an anal gland infection. We have a prescription called Metronidazole. 1/2 pill every 12 hours. This is Sunday and this morning at 5:15 AM he started to gag(lasted 3 hours). There was no food. Only a liquid sustance and maybe something that looked like the medicine. Our regular vet is not open on Sundays. We called an emergency vet center. She said he is having a reaction to the medication. No food/water/medicine for 6-12 hours. So we have to wait until tomorrow morning to call the vet. Do you think they will tell us to give the dog only 1/2 the pill every 24 hours instead of 12 hours. Or will they have to prescribe something else? Any one ever have this problem with their dog? He is doing fine right now at 2PM. Yes I did end up giving him some food after about 6 hours. No problems since this morning.
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Go and google the medication, we did this once on a weekend with our pet. (not the same medication as yours though ) but it helped us alot. We found out that the medication we had to give our dog could make her sick(and it did) and said different things we could try. It has been a couple of years, but it had links to different pet sites so it might help you out.

Hope you doggie gets better soon
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

There is a pet forum: where the posters are very helpful about these types of things.

good luck

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Dogs do that type of thing a lot, even in the absence of medication (at least mine do). But the fact that there was medication in the vomit probably signifies it's not agreeing with her.

In order for medications to work effectively, they need to be given in the amount and time frame they're ordered to keep a steady level in the blood. Your vet will probably change to another antibiotic tomorrow.

Good luck.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
lisajl
This is our dog Chloe!
I am not sure I want drool all over the keyboard!
A very merry unbirthday to us all!!!

It has a metallic taste..did you give it with food or without?
My vet always says to give it with food.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Our vet called us back on Monday morning. Our dog is not having a side affect from the medication. Because of the infection his immunity was low so he got actually a cold/respiratory. They said to keep feeding him his food and giving the medication to him. He should be OK in about 7 days.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Good! Glad to hear he will be ok
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Melisa1
DIS Veteran

Glad that he's ok!

Shades of Green & Hard Rock Hotel October 2009
Paradise Pier Resort at Disneyland July 2012
Shades of Green & Royal Pacific Resort May 2014
Polynesian & Portofino Bay Resort October 2015
Melisa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

If it happens again, call them back.

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Update about our furbaby: This is Tuesday I am more worried today then yesterday. Last night the coughing was all night long from our Brittany. We are doing what the vet told us to do. He stopped coughing in the morning. He did eat some food this morning. But he is laying in his crate all day long. He is acting like a 14 yr old dog instead of 4 yrs old. They told us to wait for 7-10 days. If it doesn't clear up they would have to look at his chest. It sounds like he is a chain smoker at night. We only had him for 2 1/2 months and I miss him not being playful, active and social.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
goofyforlife
Sit down if you're not a Grown-Up Princess

Sounds like quite an infection your poor pup has.....

There are other anti-biotics out there....

We went through a few of them when our lab had an anal gland "issue". It looked like a boil from the outside. The vet ended up recommending removal of the glands. The infection ended up being the tissue surrounding the gland not the gland itself.... They took out alot of infected tissue when they did the surgery.

Good luck.... Ask vet for something else...

oooh look a peanut ............................

My DH wonders why both of my mothers are not normal.
goofyforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyforlife View Post
Sounds like quite an infection your poor pup has.....

There are other anti-biotics out there....

We went through a few of them when our lab had an anal gland "issue". It looked like a boil from the outside. The vet ended up recommending removal of the glands. The infection ended up being the tissue surrounding the gland not the gland itself.... They took out alot of infected tissue when they did the surgery.

Good luck.... Ask vet for something else...
Thanks for the the fair warning. Because he so new to us this is his first round of anti-biotics. The only reason he was in shelter because he snapped at the cats he was living with( as what little info. that was given). I hope he didn't have any previous medical issues and the previous owners didn't want to tell the truth to the shelter. Other then this medical issue he is an awesome dog. Very sweet, not loud or destructive, loves his toys and we started obedience class( just for bonding, social, listening skills and help our 6 yr old DS with him). We consider ourselves very lucky to found a shelter dog with not alot of behavior problems. Even tho he doesn't like baths. Any advice on that one?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

OK, in your first post you never mentioned anything about coughing, so I was a little when you said this in your second post.

Quote:
Because of the infection his immunity was low so he got actually a cold/respiratory.
That just doesn't go along with anal gland infection or GI upset.

Now, reading your most recent post, I'm more concerned. He sounds sick and in need of urgent veterinary attention. The cough as you've described it could be from a variety of things (like kennel cough or pneumonia - though he has been on an antibiotic so this might not be the case, or that particular antibiotic might not be effective on a respiratory bug; another cause could be congestive heart failure which could result in a buildup of fluid in the lungs causing cough, and if that were the case he'd require diuretics right away), but the bottom line is, he needs to be SEEN and evaluated by a veterinarian.

Call your vet's office and tell them you'd like the vet to call you back TODAY, or better yet, ask them if you could come by with the dog in person today before the office closes; explain what you've said here. If they won't/can't see you today, do you have another veterinary hospital near you? If so, I'd take the dog in to be seen today/tonight - they will likely do a chest XRay to see what's going on in his lungs. Do you have a major veterinary teaching hospital near you anywhere? Their emergency room might be a good choice.

I don't mean to scare you, but when 4yo, normally active dogs act like this, there's something wrong. Please update later.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Thanks PEA-N-ME

Yes we were very concern to have to wait 7-10 days. Anyways why would infection like that cause any respiratory problems? My DH called the vet and is trying to get in tonight. Which would be good because that is when DANIEL(our Brittany starts to cough)? Hy DH called. The vet wanted to prescribe a cough medicine along with the anti-botic. My sister who worked for a vet said to take him anyways because she agrees with you. We are hoping there was no cover up of a underlying medical issue.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #15
minechuchie
How many times CAN you go to Disney?

Hello I was just wondering if you had an update on your furbaby...it is so very frustrating when you know something isn't right in your pet and the vet's are trying to diagnose them over the phone. I hope all is well. Let us know. Terri

CBR 90...DXL 96...AS & PO 97...DXL 99...DXL 2000...CBR 02...BC 03...POR 04...SSR 2X 05...YC 5/07...OKW 12/07...SSR 3/08...OFFSITE AND OKW 4/08...Dolphin9/08...POFQ2/09...POFQ2/10...SSR 6/10...AKK10/10...OKW12/10...Swan&AKL3/11

minechuchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: