Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
JenC025
Mouseketeer

Just back from POP/CSR

Wow what a difference between value and moderate. FIRST - It took forever to check in. We arrived Saturday around 5 pm, took about an hour. I would never stay in the 90's area again. The walk was LONG we bought the mugs but after doing the parks all day (we don't do mid day breaks) no one wanted to do the walk for mug refills. Plus, Coffee was HORRIBLE...(nescafe- didnt know they still made it) The playground is set aside making it a pain if your kids want to play.
Buses were crowded and boy do they pack them in. But there was NO noise in our room.

CSR- bus stops are shaded and have COLD water fountains. Four different stops means less crowds and there are seats while you wait.
Check in was quick and having someone take your bags to your room was nice. The landscaping is beautiful, the pool awesome. We passed by the quiet pool and no one was ever in it. Having a hot tub available GREAT. The jumping beans arcade is a waste of money as most games barely work. the one at the dig site is much better. The dig site is great, having the playground, pool, and arcade right there so if you have kids of different ages you can all be in the same area having fun.

I can't wait to go back. We were strolling around the lake at CSR planning our next vacation. It was just so wonderful.
JenC025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
magicmouse2
DIS Veteran

I agree about Pop C. Glad you like Coronado, we also noiced the huge difference between value and moderate this trip. We too are thinking of staying at Coronadao next year.
magicmouse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Badllamamama
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing!!
Badllamamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

values versus mods..

I really want to like the values....but the more i hear the more I keep going back to ....You get what you pay for....If Im only going to pay 80 bucks a night for a hotel I can only expect 80 bucks of service. I dont see why people get so horrified if the resort isnt 4 diamond quality. You are paying bargain basement prices.

I cant convince myself to go value, and the more I read and hear horror stories, the less likely I am to go ...We stayed at POR in 2005 and loved it...
It was thanksgiving...and a bunch of us arrived via bus....upon arriving in the lobby - they brought out like 10 CMS to handle the crowd...we were in our room in 10 minutes. Also the quiet pools (one right outside bldg 25) was rarely occupied. One of my fondest memories, is hanging out in the pool with my son - while DH and DD slept in the room...
.....We had the entire pool to ourselves & the peacefulness of that resort isnt something Im sure to find at the ALL Stars or Pop.
My Trippies:
2008 ThanksGiving TR POP-O-LICIOUS / CR Summer 2011 POLYTASTIC EXTRAVAGANZA
2011- Christmas in Orlando WindsorHills XtraVaGanZa
2012 - SUMMER POP & Windsor Hills

Last edited by mikkiwikki; 10-08-2006 at 01:35 PM.
mikkiwikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
zoomouse
Disney Dad

Pretty happy with POP

Just got back from Pop Century. Pretty happy considering the money paid. Got a room with beds and a shower, nice enough pool to keep the kids happy. Only downer was the 7 hour wait for luggage to arrive - won't make that mistake again - jammies and blankies in the carry-on from now on.
zoomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
JenC025
Mouseketeer

Oh I forgot about that! I didnt want to chance problems on board so we didn't pack baby wipes, So we were without luggage for about 7-8 hrs too. They didn't have our luggage until about midnight. I was panicking.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #7
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

pop vs. CSR continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenC025
Wow what a difference between value and moderate. FIRST - It took forever to check in. We arrived Saturday around 5 pm, took about an hour. I would never stay in the 90's area again. The walk was LONG we bought the mugs but after doing the parks all day (we don't do mid day breaks) no one wanted to do the walk for mug refills. Plus, Coffee was HORRIBLE...(nescafe- didnt know they still made it) The playground is set aside making it a pain if your kids want to play. Buses were crowded and boy do they pack them in. But there was NO noise in our room.

CSR- bus stops are shaded and have COLD water fountains. Four different stops means less crowds and there are seats while you wait.
Check in was quick and having someone take your bags to your room was nice. The landscaping is beautiful, the pool awesome. We passed by the quiet pool and no one was ever in it. Having a hot tub available GREAT. The jumping beans arcade is a waste of money as most games barely work. the one at the dig site is much better. The dig site is great, having the playground, pool, and arcade right there so if you have kids of different ages you can all be in the same area having fun.

I can't wait to go back. We were strolling around the lake at CSR planning our next vacation. It was just so wonderful.
JenCO25 - im really interested in this post - cuz My hubby & I were struggling with the idea of doing a value next trip...so doing lots of research. From your post what I can gather is ....

Cons for POP
1)Long checkin time
2)bad coffee,
3) poor landscaping?
4) packed buses
5) were bus stops unshaded?
6) pool?
7) playground for kids out of way....

Pros for CSR
1) checkin quick
2) coffee??? good/bad?
3) beautiful landscaping
4) Less crowded buses
5) shaded bus stops with fountains
6) secluded quiet pools
7) playground (dig site) very convenient

For our 2007 trip - Ive booked Contemporary for 5 days, and was toying with offsetting the cost with another 5 days at a value...but....I cant convince myself to go that route.
My Trippies:
2008 ThanksGiving TR POP-O-LICIOUS / CR Summer 2011 POLYTASTIC EXTRAVAGANZA
2011- Christmas in Orlando WindsorHills XtraVaGanZa
2012 - SUMMER POP & Windsor Hills
mikkiwikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkiwikki

For our 2007 trip - Ive booked Contemporary for 5 days, and was toying with offsetting the cost with another 5 days at a value...but....I cant convince myself to go that route.
If you do this, make sure you stay at the value resort first, and then move up to the CR. That way, you'll have the CR to look forward to and you'll really enjoy the extra space and monorail when you are there. If you downgrade during your trip (CR first, then value), the smaller room and less amenities will hit you harder.

I think it would be fun to split a stay, and if you do stay at a value for 5 nights instead of 5 extra nights at the CR, you'll have a lot more money to spend on other things at WDW.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

Welcome back and thanks for sharing!!
Buzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Schucraig
Disney World is my World!

Thanks for your reviews!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Leanne1977
Loving frozen margaritas

I'm going to have to stick up for Pop here. We returned from our first stay on-site on 4th Oct.

We loved Pop. It was great fun. The rooms were bigger than i had imagined and clean and tidy. The maids were good and the staff were friendly.

We stayed in the 70s section which was lovely and peaceful. No noise from others around us. The pools were great as were the goofy jet fountains and the kids arcades.

We loved everything about it. The only thing we feel could be improved was the food court. It needs to be bigger as it was crowded for the most part. But it didnt really affect us as we didnt eat there often.

We have now booked to go back to Pop next September. If you have kids i don't think there is a more perfect place for them to be.

WDW private villa July/August 05
DLP SL Jan/Feb 06, DCR Feb 07, Cheyenne Feb 08
WDW Pop Sept/Oct 06
WDW ASMO/HRH/PC Sept/Oct 07 3 weeks free ddp
WDW SSR/Regal Sun May 08/Aug 08/Dec 08
WDW SSR May 09
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/AKV/DCL Jul/Aug 09
WDW Orange Tree/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/Disney Magic Oct/Nov 2010 Our wedding!
WDW SSR/Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary!
Leanne1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Buzz'sBetterHalf
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing!!
Buzz'sBetterHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
JenC025
Mouseketeer

TO mikkiwikki

Pop is a good value. For the first five days if was all about the parks- so all we needed was a place to crash.
Pros:
Price
If you plan on doing laundry, its right by the pool. (I don't know if there is more than one Ours was small and crowded unless you were there really early)
So my cons are:
1) Lost luggage for hours
2)LONG check in and if you have a question and need to wait in line at check in that is a pain. People were complaining of their key cards not working (SEVERAL times) and needing them replaced constantly meant waiting in the check in line
3)Coffee was AWFUL, food court is kind of small
4)Bus stops- one for each destination is not really shaded. And buses get packed
5)Not much landscaping to look at all Just the big items to look at. I thought my 2 1/2 yr old would love them, but she wasn't interested. It was kind of cool that to get to our room we had to go under the big laptop
6)Playground is out of the way, but is shaded
Housekeeping and all staff VERY friendly
But we didn't find anyone in any park, restaurant, or either hotel that wasn't friendly
Coronado
cons
Almost double the price of the pop

pros:

The landscaping here is so wonderful
The hammocks in the sand overlooking the lake great
My son loved renting a boat and going out to the lake
The pepper market's food is better than the pop
The pool has the arcade, playground and hot tub so everyone can be near each other. (Plus there IS a hot tub)
There is a fitness center (if you do that sort of thing on vacation lol)
Multiple bus stops, that were shaded and had water fountains.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Martindis2006
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the information about CSR. We are headed there for Thanksgiving and you just made it look better than it already did!

11/2006 CSR :

11/2009 CBR pirate or not :
Me DH DS 10: DD 9
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/0pa15mqz7jpakc6h.png[/img]
Martindis2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
NurseW2Kiddies
Mouseketeer

Really stupid question about the arcades at CSR since you mentioned them!!! Do they have a lot of games where you win tickets??? My son loves these and we will be there in Dec. If I gave him all the $$$ we spent on his season pass and told him he could spend it in the arcade instead of going to the park, he would be all for it. EEEKKK!!!

NurseW2Kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: