Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
kaygela
was having a blond moment at the time
I could even be "somebody"!
 
kaygela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 684

need recommendations for tours in LA

We will be in LA 12/26-12/28 before going to DL. I was wondering if anyone would recommend tours for us to take. We would like to see all the typical things like Grauman's, Walk of Fame, Tar Pits, movie star homes, etc. We will have a rental car and will be staying at the Beverly Hills Residence Inn. Does it pay to take a tour or are we better off on our own?
__________________
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort-August 1994
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- July 1999
WDW Contemporary- July 2000
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2003
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2004
Disneyland Paris- April 2005
WDW Hilton DTD- April 2006
Disneyland- December 2006-New Year's
Disneyland Grand Californian-October 2009
WDW Hilton DTD- December 2009
kaygela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Eastern MA, USA
Posts: 6,573

I don't have any info on the tours you mention, but if you are looking for a studio tour, I highly recommend the warner brothers tour. very interesting, one of the better studio tours I've been on.
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygela

. . . We would like to see all the typical things like Grauman's, Walk of Fame, Tar Pits, movie star homes, etc. We will have a rental car . . . Does it pay to take a tour or are we better off on our own?
Since you will have a car, you do not need to take a tour.

The La Brea Tar Pits are not very far from your hotel (Wilshire Blvd., just east of Fairfax Ave.). After visiting the Tar Pits, if interested, you can also visit the L.A. County Museum of Art (next door) or the Petersen Automotive Museum (corner of Wilshire and Fairfax).

Then drive north on Highland to the Hollywood and Highland Center (northwest corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.) and park in its underground lot. Come up the escalator and once you walk out to the sidewalk you will be on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Walk 100 feet to the west, and you'll be at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Across the street is (Disney's) El Capitan Theatre and Disney's Soda Fountain. There you will find Winnie the Pooh's star, and, I believe, other Disney characters or notables.

I haven't been on a movie stars home tour, but I've seen agents selling tours in front of Grauman's and also across the street.

TIP: In 1998, we had houseguests from England who were just dying to go on a stars home tour. My DW said she had no interest in the tour, but agreed to take them to Grauman's where they could catch a tour (DW would go shopping then meet them later). Our guests "surprised" DW by buying her a tour ticket. They all went on the tour, and after ten minutes, they all agreed it was the biggest waste of time and money.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
kaygela
was having a blond moment at the time
I could even be "somebody"!
 
kaygela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73
Since you will have a car, you do not need to take a tour.

The La Brea Tar Pits are not very far from your hotel (Wilshire Blvd., just east of Fairfax Ave.). After visiting the Tar Pits, if interested, you can also visit the L.A. County Museum of Art (next door) or the Petersen Automotive Museum (corner of Wilshire and Fairfax).

Then drive north on Highland to the Hollywood and Highland Center (northwest corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.) and park in its underground lot. Come up the escalator and once you walk out to the sidewalk you will be on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Walk 100 feet to the west, and you'll be at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Across the street is (Disney's) El Capitan Theatre and Disney's Soda Fountain. There you will find Winnie the Pooh's star, and, I believe, other Disney characters or notables.

I haven't been on a movie stars home tour, but I've seen agents selling tours in front of Grauman's and also across the street.

TIP: In 1998, we had houseguests from England who were just dying to go on a stars home tour. My DW said she had no interest in the tour, but agreed to take them to Grauman's where they could catch a tour (DW would go shopping then meet them later). Our guests "surprised" DW by buying her a tour ticket. They all went on the tour, and after ten minutes, they all agreed it was the biggest waste of time and money.

Woody
That's what I am afraid of. I imagine that all you would be able to see are gates and trees. It sounds like you have mapped out a great "tour" for us to do ourselves. Thank you.
__________________
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort-August 1994
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- July 1999
WDW Contemporary- July 2000
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2003
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2004
Disneyland Paris- April 2005
WDW Hilton DTD- April 2006
Disneyland- December 2006-New Year's
Disneyland Grand Californian-October 2009
WDW Hilton DTD- December 2009
kaygela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
JenLoy
Mouseketeer
 
JenLoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 460

We did one of the Movie Stars Home tours in Aug, and I can definitely say it was a big waste of time and money. You would be better off buying a book that has the address and then driving through the neighborhoods on you own. We took our rental car out after the paid and definitely preferred doing it on our own. We were able to actually slow down and get clears shots of the houses, etc.

We also did the Warner Brothers Studio tour and I would definitely recommed it if you're looking for a studio tour. Very well informed tour guides. The tours goes in groups of 10 or 12 so it's much more personable
__________________
November 1990 - Offsite / May 1992 - Big Red Boat Cruise - Contemporary /Nov 1994 - Offsite /Feb 1996 - Port Orleans/Nov 1997 - 25th Anniversary Celebration - Poly / May 2000 - POFQ / August 2000 - GF & POFQ / June 2001 - GF / August 2002 - 100 Yrs of Magic -Contemporary/ October 2003 - MNSSHP - AS Sports / May 2004 - SOG / May 2005 - Happiest Celebration - SOG /Dec 2005 - GF / Feb 2006 - Pop Century / Aug 2006 - Our First Ever Disneyland Trip!!!! / May 2007 SOG /Nov/Dec 2007 - AS Music and CB / May 2008 SOG / Nov 2008 CB/ April 2009 YC, 1st Disney Cruise, and POFQ /Aug 2009 AS Movies, niece's 10th Bday / Oct 2009 CB (Pirate room) - 7th Wedding Anniversary / Aug 2010 Pop Century, niece's 11th Bday /April 2011 Pop Century / D23 Expo - Aug 2011 / Oct 2012 - 10 Year Vow Renewal at Wedding Pavillion - GF and CB / Aug 2014 Pop Century, Niece's 14th Bday / Oct 2014 CB, 1st RunDisney Race TOT 10 Miler
JenLoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Zoemakes5
Support me in my Disney mania
Still likes pennies more than quarters
Had to pop SOMETHING
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego area
Posts: 2,256

Yeah, I have to say, doing the actor's homes tour leaves alot to be desired. I'd pick places and things you'd like to do after playing with tour books and then come here (or PM me) for game plans/timing, etc.
If you do go down to Redondo Beach for dinner I have to tell you about a "secret" not to many people other than locals know about. After leaving Cheesecake Factory, go up to PCH/Sepulveda and go South (from there, should be a right). Take it down to Prospect, take a left onto Prospect. Turn right on the first road you can turn right onto. Through that entire community, called the "tree area" or Sleepy Hollow area, all the neighbors decorate their trees in white twinkle lights and make a huge deal of decorating yards, roofs, windows, etc. It's just beautiful. Roll down your windows and you're likely to also hear x-mas carrolls. Even the non-Christian homes at least put up the white twinkle lights and I've seen many beautiful jewish displays (I loved the giant menorah made out of blue and gold garland that was the size of the family's garage) and kwanza displays. I've never taken anyone down that area that haven't been "ooh and ahhh" with their noses stuck to the windows!
__________________
DS1 (20) DS2 (18) and (Zoe, our baby princess...who hates princesses and pink, 12)
Zoemakes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
kaygela
was having a blond moment at the time
I could even be "somebody"!
 
kaygela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoemakes5
Yeah, I have to say, doing the actor's homes tour leaves alot to be desired. I'd pick places and things you'd like to do after playing with tour books and then come here (or PM me) for game plans/timing, etc.
If you do go down to Redondo Beach for dinner I have to tell you about a "secret" not to many people other than locals know about. After leaving Cheesecake Factory, go up to PCH/Sepulveda and go South (from there, should be a right). Take it down to Prospect, take a left onto Prospect. Turn right on the first road you can turn right onto. Through that entire community, called the "tree area" or Sleepy Hollow area, all the neighbors decorate their trees in white twinkle lights and make a huge deal of decorating yards, roofs, windows, etc. It's just beautiful. Roll down your windows and you're likely to also hear x-mas carrolls. Even the non-Christian homes at least put up the white twinkle lights and I've seen many beautiful jewish displays (I loved the giant menorah made out of blue and gold garland that was the size of the family's garage) and kwanza displays. I've never taken anyone down that area that haven't been "ooh and ahhh" with their noses stuck to the windows!
Wow, we will definately have to do that. The kids would love it. Who am I kidding, I would love it!!!
__________________
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort-August 1994
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- July 1999
WDW Contemporary- July 2000
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2003
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2004
Disneyland Paris- April 2005
WDW Hilton DTD- April 2006
Disneyland- December 2006-New Year's
Disneyland Grand Californian-October 2009
WDW Hilton DTD- December 2009
kaygela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
tracys2cents
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 610

I think it's fun to tour around on your own.....it's easy to browse around Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Mandeville Canyon and Pacific Palisades, then down into Malibu. Traffic shouldn't be too bad with schools out over the holidays.

dkbooks has a nifty little guidebook called "Top Ten Los Angeles" and I highly recommend it, it'll give you lots of ideas.

Too bad you won't be there on a weekend.....garage sales and "open houses" in Beverly Hills can be fun fun fun and interesting!
tracys2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
kaygela
was having a blond moment at the time
I could even be "somebody"!
 
kaygela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracys2cents
I think it's fun to tour around on your own.....it's easy to browse around Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Mandeville Canyon and Pacific Palisades, then down into Malibu. Traffic shouldn't be too bad with schools out over the holidays.

dkbooks has a nifty little guidebook called "Top Ten Los Angeles" and I highly recommend it, it'll give you lots of ideas.

Too bad you won't be there on a weekend.....garage sales and "open houses" in Beverly Hills can be fun fun fun and interesting!

Oh gee, I am really a garage sale person. I love the treasure hunt. That could have been amazing in Beverly Hills!
__________________
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort-August 1994
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- July 1999
WDW Contemporary- July 2000
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2003
WDW Coronado Springs Resort- February 2004
Disneyland Paris- April 2005
WDW Hilton DTD- April 2006
Disneyland- December 2006-New Year's
Disneyland Grand Californian-October 2009
WDW Hilton DTD- December 2009
kaygela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Mineu
DIS Veteran
 
Mineu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Iberia, Louisiana
Posts: 908

Has anyone taken the Legendary Hollywood tour? It's listed as a ten hour tour that allows for shopping, lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and then either Venice or Santa Monica.
Mineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.