Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #46
kritter
I need a Disney FIX!!
Trades her hubby for "Make me an offer"

Great tips thanks...>!!!!!
Jan 2003-Twins first trip, September 2003-Grand Floridian-bought DVC SSR, July/Aug. 2004-Dolphin and SSR, September 2005-SSR, October 2006-SSR and DCL Eastern Halloween Cruise,June 2007-SSR, Star Wars Weekend, Sept. 2007- SSR,April 2008-SSR, June/July 2008-SSR and Vero Beach, Oct. 2008- DCL Eastern-Pirates in Paradise and SSR, Easter/April 2009,-BCV, Aug. 2009-DCL Eastern Tortola Treasure Seekers Cruise-in a CAT 3 and SSR, Dec. 2009, SSR - Feb. 2010, - OKW -April 2010-[COLOR="SeaGreen"]SSR - June/July 2010-- SSR and Vero Beach Oct.2010--OKW
Feb. 2011 OKW April 2011 SSR Aug. 2011 Vero Beach, DCL The Dream-DD, SSR, Oct. 2011 SSR Jan. 2012 OKW April 2012 SSR June 2012 DCL, Magic out of NYC June/July 2012 SSR, Vero Beach November 2012 40th Birthday Cruise DCL Thanksgiving Fantasy
kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #47
needabreaknow
Mouseketeer

Another great thing to do with your hair is to get a detangler with UV protectants in it, like Biolage Daily Leave In Tonic ( I'm a hairstylist if you haven't guessed). There is also a product just released last summer that won't be out again until next year, but you might be able to get it on clearance. It's called Biolage Sunsorials... The spray oil for your hair is REALLY nice and makes it so soft. It's like a conditioning treatment for your hair while you are out baking in the sun and water.

Here is a link that describes it:

http://www.matrix.com/products/biolage/sunsorials.aspx

I'm not trying to sell it by any means. I don't even know if you can still find it around you, but it'd definitely be worth a shot. Around here , we are selling it for 50% off because it's out of season.

And by the way, the person who suggested soaking the hair before heading out is right on! If you don't do anything else, at least get it wet. It'll keep the salt and chlorine from penetrating as much.

needabreaknow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #48
needabreaknow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Butterfly
So do people walk around in just a robe or something?
Do people walk around the ship in only their swimwear without cover-up or towels? In my case, that could be a scary sight!
When we went there wasn't a lot of walking around the ship in a suit only. A lot of women wore sarong type things, but most just walked around in a swim suit only if they were right at the pools.

I can guarantee that I will not be subjecting passerbys to witness me schlepping around in a swim suit. It's their vacation... I have to be nice to them.

needabreaknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:13 PM   #49
discruiselovers97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ok, so before I make an even BIGGER idiot out of myself. You are suggesting bringing a bottle of baby powder to the beach. When I walk to let's say my lounge chair and my feet are full of sand (and still somewhat wet) I should put baby powder on top of them? And the sand comes off? I've never heard of this before!
Yup! just got to brush it off with your hands! works like a charm everytime! there is something that makes the sand stick to the baby powder that makes it come off so easy!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #50
LCTsMom
One word love; curiosity.You long for freedom.You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse.You want to see what it's like.One day you wont be able to resist.

Quote:
So do people walk around in just a robe or something? Trying to figure out how to not mess up all that preparing if I did use an alternate shower. Or just easy on/off clothing like swimwear?

Do people walk around the ship in only their swimwear without cover-up or towels? In my case, that could be a scary sight!
We saw a woman in a thong swimsuit at the Mickey pool! Now that was someone in need of a cover up!
LCTsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #51
LCTsMom
One word love; curiosity.You long for freedom.You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse.You want to see what it's like.One day you wont be able to resist.

Quote:
Ok, so before I make an even BIGGER idiot out of myself. You are suggesting bringing a bottle of baby powder to the beach. When I walk to let's say my lounge chair and my feet are full of sand (and still somewhat wet) I should put baby powder on top of them? And the sand comes off? I've never heard of this before!
It works really well, and smells nice too!
LCTsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #52
pgfour
"I'm You, you're Me, and she's Her."

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi
I'm implementing one I heard here right now....divide your families clothes between bags in case one gets lost. I have underwear for everyone spread between bags, casual clothes and dress up clothes spread between bags, swimsuits. If you see me in the same outfit for dinner all the time, one of the bags got lost, but at least I won't be wearing my husband's underwear.
Great tip! I will definitely do this!

I was too busy worrying that some of the toiletries I would normally pack in a carry-on (for the plane ride), might get lost that I hadn't thought of lost clothes! (Perhaps I'll try a similar approach with toiletries.)
pgfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #53
pgfour
"I'm You, you're Me, and she's Her."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybridein2k3
READ YOUR NAVIGATOR!!!! Because it was only listed on the very back and in a very small font, we missed the "midnight" dessert buffet..... I happened upon it as I was going back to the room for something but they told me I couln't stay because they were getting ready to close it down. DH and I were very disappointed!

Also (I read this tip on another thread), pack different colored highlighters to mark what each person in the family might want to do. With all the things listed and such tiny fonts, we need all the help we can get!!!
pgfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #54
Shercara
ArE wE tHeRe YeT?

SPF T-shirts

Hi guys -- someone mentioned wearing a t-shirt while snorkeling to prevent sunburn. While this is a great idea - I have one better. A regular t-shirt does not protect as well as a SPF ® T-shirt. Here is a link to a great new site for great, comfortable and affordable Sun Protective t-shirts for SPF conscious familys :

http://www.spftshirts.com/

"We’ve taken America’s favorite 100% cotton t-shirt, added top-rated SPF® UV protection and priced them the same as regular t-shirts. In fact, we offer t-shirts for as low as $8.99 for short sleeve t-shirts and $14.95 for long sleeve t-shirts! Our t-shirts offer better sun protection than you get from a “Sun Protective” nylon/polyester UPF-30 rated shirt selling for $35 to $80!

About SPF® t-shirts
• Available in over 70 Colors!
• 100% Cotton, Soft & Comfortable
• Pre-shrunk for a perfect fit, wash after wash
• Block in excess of 97% of ultraviolet rays
• Machine washable and dryable
• Double stitched for extra strength to last for seasons to come
• Dyed and UV finished in the U.S.A.
• Comfortable 1/2 inch ribbed collar with shoulder to shoulder taping that insures the seams lie flat."

Check this sight out in the coming months - I am told they will be adding sunglasses, all natural sunscreen, hats + much more!

Take care,
Sherri
Sept 2011 -My 50th B'day Trip! at the Swan!

DCL Trips:
~ July '01 MAGIC 7 nite Eastern Caribbean
~ Nov '02 MAGIC 7 nite Western Caribbean
~ July '07 "MAGIC"AL 070707 11nite MED CRUISE!!
~ Oct 14, 2012 ~ 14 Night Hawaiian Cruise "WONDER"ful *30th Anniversary Celebration!!
~ April 11 '13 -3 Night First time sailing on THE DREAM and we are GOLD!
~ Jan 11 '14 - 7 Night Fantasy EasternCaribbean

~ Sept 6-20 '14 ~ Crossing the Atlantic on the Magic~14 Night WBTA!!
~ June 1, 2015 "Wonder"ful 1st Trip to ALASKA!
Shercara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #55
minniemouse1
Member of the Grand Slam Club!

Rit also makes a product that you can put in the washer with your clothes that gives your everyday shirts or whatever else is in the wash an SPF of 30. Its great. I just bought some at our local Joanns on clearance.
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
Magic 2015 7 Day Mediterranean
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #56
angilovesthemouse
Absolutely Crazy for All Things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi
I'm implementing one I heard here right now....divide your families clothes between bags in case one gets lost. I have underwear for everyone spread between bags, casual clothes and dress up clothes spread between bags, swimsuits. If you see me in the same outfit for dinner all the time, one of the bags got lost, but at least I won't be wearing my husband's underwear.

This is sooo true. Last month my dad went to Canada(for Alaskan Cruise), his suitcase went to Cancun! Luckily they had their trip planned to sightsee Vancouver for a couple of days before the cruise, so luggage made it back at 3am of morning of cruise.
For same reasons, don't pack any daily meds you need in checked baggage!

me
1978 and 1979 WDW Polynesian
1981 WDW Contemporary
1982 WDW Dutchman
1984 WDW Contemporary
1986 WDW Polynesian
1988 and 1992 WDW Caribbean Beach
1994 Polynesian
1996 Port Orleans *Honeymoon*
1999 and 2002 WDW Caribbean Beach
2005 Pop Century
4/28/07 First Disney Cruise
angilovesthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #57
Jen76b
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkerbell_&_Co
Thanks...I was actually a bit concerned with that. Hubby and I get so little alone time and we were looking forward to some of it during the evening hours. Then my mommy complexes kick in....LOL!

But I know they'll love it.

Just to share.. we went on our first cruise in June and I had to bribe my DS7 to leave the lab so we could get ready for dinner, or I was tired and ready to go to bed (it was 11:30p and he still wanted to stay, but I was ready to sleep).

Now I know better and won't feel guilty about leaving him there to go swim in the adult pool or just relax and read a book.
Aug 2007 3 days @ Poly & 4 days on the Wonder
Dec 2008 -offsite ; Nov 2011- offsite
Oct 2012- PO-Riverside; Nov 2014- Fantasy

Last edited by Jen76b; 10-10-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Jen76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #58
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've always insisted that DD chose one club/lab activity each day. IF she's into the programming (that sometranslates "if she meets a friend"), she may stay as long as she likes, but by choosing one activity each day I know that I'll have some "Me" time without being mom. Of course, now that she's a really big kid in The Stack, it is a non-issue. I never see her except at dinner (hee hee).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #59
Shercara
ArE wE tHeRe YeT?

The shirts on the SPF Website are Rated 40 - 50 UPF - and block over 97% of the sun's UV rays. They are also backed up by laboratory testing - take a look at the site if you have a chance - real interesting and a nice product!
Sept 2011 -My 50th B'day Trip! at the Swan!

DCL Trips:
~ July '01 MAGIC 7 nite Eastern Caribbean
~ Nov '02 MAGIC 7 nite Western Caribbean
~ July '07 "MAGIC"AL 070707 11nite MED CRUISE!!
~ Oct 14, 2012 ~ 14 Night Hawaiian Cruise "WONDER"ful *30th Anniversary Celebration!!
~ April 11 '13 -3 Night First time sailing on THE DREAM and we are GOLD!
~ Jan 11 '14 - 7 Night Fantasy EasternCaribbean

~ Sept 6-20 '14 ~ Crossing the Atlantic on the Magic~14 Night WBTA!!
~ June 1, 2015 "Wonder"ful 1st Trip to ALASKA!
Shercara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #60
meresandwillsmom
Mouseketeer

All these tips are great! One I really used is to ship a box of "stuff" directly to the ship. I sent the snacks one tipster mentioned, old sand toys that they played with and then we left on CC, room and door decorations, and some liquor. Highlighters and post-it notes are good too. My kids loved the Lab. I had to pull them out at midnight because I was tired! If I think of anything else I'll post!
May 2006 WDW Family Port Orleans Riverside
May 2006 Disney Wonder 1st Family Cruise
March 2007 Spring Break Cruise on Disney Wonder
May 2012 Girls Trip to Disney World
September 2014 Upcoming Solo Trip

meresandwillsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: