Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #466
HoosierFrog
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinapomp View Post
ITA! When I snorkel I want to dive down to the bottom to look at sea life and find that underwater Mickey at CC!

But am I right in thinking that they force EVERYONE to wear a life vest even if you don't want one? My DH and I always want to dive down in the water when snorkeling, and a life vest sure would hinder that.
From what I've read, they do require a life vest to be worn. I've also heard many say that there are quite a few that do not inflatee the life vests. They're not your standard foam life vests, but need to be blown up.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #467
neonurse
Hidden Mickeys Everywhere!

I read that the life vests are just for visibility and you don't have to inflate them if you don't want to.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #468
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin07 View Post
I don't have a lot of tips on the DCL as our cruise in Nov. will be our first. But
one tip I would like to share with others, is that if you fly nowdays with the
airlines restrictions. AAA sells this handy little gaget, worth every penny,
sells for about 10.00. It is a hand held small scale that weights your suitcases. About the size of a small travel clock, we weigh our bags before
we leave home, put scale in our carry on to weigh the bags before we
start our trip home. No standing in line, no surprises, no extra fees.
Muffin07
Thats a good idea... alot of people were dragging their luggage up to the fitness center to get it weighed on the scales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter View Post
Did they give you a hard time about the candy??? Also, did you just list a packing slip in an envelope on the outside of the box??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They didn't give me a hard time... but it's a good idea and they suggest you do put a packing slip on the outside...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #469
algg
Earning My Ears

Great thread, keep it up, we are going in 2010 and I am saving tips.
algg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #470
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
I think they handed it out right before we got off to go to Castaway Cay - they gave it to us in the Promenade Lounge. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the Navigator.
Regarding the Treasure Hunt on Castaway Cay, you can also get the map/clues from the information booth down near Cookies. Of course some of the clues are for things you would have already passed, so it's better to get it before leaving the ship unless you don't mind backtracking. FWIW, we had a great time doing it.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #471
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Ok,,, just reread all 32 pages to make sure that I wouldn't repeat some suggestions or tips:

1. For those of us who cruise at Christmas... each year the dollar store in Jan sells those 3 foot decorated trees for around 10 dollars. Inexpensive enough to leave behind. DCL does sell a small Christmas tree also for the room if you don't want to hassle with carrying the other onboard.

2. My DW... makes a list of all of her outfits for each day, writing down outfit, closthes, accesories and jewlery. Makes her feel more comfortable when packing and she tapes the list to the DCL bathroom door and doesn't stress over what to wear. ITs all planned out.

3. We wear our swim suits to the ship the first day, just put on clothes over our suits.. Grab a quick lunch and hit the pool, usually it takes several hours for people to change and make it to the pool.

4. We drive ourself from Orlando Airport... Cheaper and we can stop on the way if we want.

5. Cruise Insurance... You medical insurance will not get you squat in a foriegn country! Ask my dad who had to have surgery in South America after developing a hernia. Several trips to the ATM, by my mom, for $3000 cash dad was operated on and all was well. The had to live in Hotel Caribe in Cartegna for 3 weeks while recovering. All paid for AFTER by Travel Insuance.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #472
miler1600
Mouseketeer

Life jackets

I haven't seen anyone post on this anywhere and I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but does anyone take life jackets with them for kids or even adults? I'm a little nervous about the ocean! We are leaving Sept 6 and trying to get stuff ready!
Future Trip - Bounce Back - 09/2009
miler1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #473
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miler1600 View Post
I haven't seen anyone post on this anywhere and I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, but does anyone take life jackets with them for kids or even adults? I'm a little nervous about the ocean! We are leaving Sept 6 and trying to get stuff ready!

They will take care of that for you.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #474
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Life vests are provided for all ages on board. You will don your wonderfully bright orange life vest before you even leave the port!!! Then you get to hide it back in your closet and enjoy your cruise!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #475
Amlee
Nobody likes me, Everyone hates me! I'm gonna eat a worm!
My family thinks I have some type of genetic flaw as they ALL iron like mad

I bought a .99 spray bottle at wal-mart. In that bottle I have spray in wash. If I have a spill, I spray the spray in wash on the stain. It does several things.

I can work with it and remove the stain myself if I need to wear the item again.

I can pretreat it and not worry about it until I get home.

I can pretreat it and send it out to be washed while onboard.
Celebrity: Century: 9/3/2007 Constellation: 11/16/2007 Millenium: 02/03/2008 Summit: 3/15/2008
Azamara: Journey: 10/20/2007

Next Up:
11/12/2008 Celebrity Solstice
01/04/2009 Disney Wonder 4nts Bahamas

To see my pictures from different places around the world, go here!
Check out my travel pictures. UpDated!

Thanks Betty!
Amlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #476
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Thats a good idea... alot of people were dragging their luggage up to the fitness center to get it weighed on the scales...

If you go to your local sporting goods store (like Dicks) and purchase a fish scale, it does the exact same thing.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #477
DisneyMama27
Mouseketeer

Haven't been yet, but sure enjoyed all these tips!

Here's a couple of my own...I keep a Word file open while I am reading tips, and then just copy/paste, or type in lists of tips, so I don't forget them or have to go find info later in the threads.

YES, the baby powder trick works...just discovered this one 2yrs ago..makes going to the beach SO much more fun!

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone!

Offsite in 1995, WL - 1/2000, POR - 11/01, CSR - 3/05 (10th ann.), POR - 9/05, POR - 10/06 (joined DVC!), OKW - 1/07, BWV - 7/07, SSR - Christmas '07, SSR - 6/08, SSR - Thanksgiving '08 (Grand Villa w/family!), Christmas Cruise on Wonder 2008, AKV - 6/09, Treehouse Villas 7/10, Eastern Carib. Cruise on Magic 10/10, SSR - Christmas 2010, BWV/OKW - 7/11, Western Carib. on Fantasy 6/12, OKW - 7/12

DisneyMama27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #478
sandiegosusie
DIS Veteran

I found Disney Princess travel cases for my girls at TRU. They are perfect for their shampoos, hair garb, tooth brush and all the necessities. That way we all have our own space for our stuff.

I have also been cutting and pasting into Word. My tips are up to 4 pages long, I'm sure by the time I sail it will be even longer. I also have our packing list in Word that I add to if I see fit.

I want to put in a plug for LLBeans travel organizer. We use it constantly and I find it to be invaluable. I don't like carry a large notebook or stacks of papers. My husband also scans all our insurance cards, credit cards, ID's, tickets for the park, passports etc...on his flash drive so we have it with us. He then locks it in the safe once onboard. We found a nice case for it at Best Buy also that protects it.

DCLWonder 2003
DCL Wonder 2007
DCL Magic 2009
DCL Dream 2013
DL annual passholders...too many trips to count.
WL 2003
CSR 2007
POR 2008
POFQ 2009
CR 2011

Last edited by sandiegosusie; 08-31-2008 at 07:50 PM.
sandiegosusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #479
kat123
Earning My Ears

If going on the cruise after Halloween.....pick up post Halloween sale pirate / costume stuff (e.g. eye patch, hats) to wear on Pirate night
kat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #480
helenb
Wishing for the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat123 View Post
If going on the cruise after Halloween.....pick up post Halloween sale pirate / costume stuff (e.g. eye patch, hats) to wear on Pirate night
I do that anyway, even if my cruise is months away! Captain Hook and Jack Sparrow costumes are at their cheapest in November.
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: