Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #436
natale1980
"When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!"... Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella&Dopey View Post
We just let mousekeeping know that we wanted to leave our bags in the room. We went to breakfast and then took our bags from the room. No big deal at all. We also left a little extra tip because it was compeletly hassle free. I think we had breakfast at 815 0r 830. So we probably left around 9 or 930.
cool - thanks!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #437
NewportCat
You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
We were told that the sun can penetrate white shirts when they are WET and cause a sun burn so we snorkel in black or navy blue.

Jan
You can buy rash guards in surf shops here in CA or online - they are shirts made to be worn in the water and some are even infused with SPF. We never go in the sun or water without them. They come in long and short sleeve.

Read and post cruise reviews

Aug 2008 - DCL Magic, EB Panama Canal Repo
Feb 2005 - HAL Oosterdam, Mexican Riviera
Been going to DLR my whole life!

<center><embed
NewportCat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #438
DisneyDreams18
Earning My Ears

We like to get a dozen cookies on the last night, put them in a zip lock and share them with the kids the next day after we have gotten off the ship. Kind of brings back the memories and good times with a treat.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #439
Snowwhitebelle
Fantasy Oct 2013, Magic Oct 2014, as a B2B2B2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreams18 View Post
We like to get a dozen cookies on the last night, put them in a zip lock and share them with the kids the next day after we have gotten off the ship. Kind of brings back the memories and good times with a treat.

Great tip

cool
Snowwhitebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #440
kritter
I need a Disney FIX!!
Trades her hubby for "Make me an offer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreams18 View Post
Where do you get those from Room Service????Thanks,,!!
Jan 2003-Twins first trip, September 2003-Grand Floridian-bought DVC SSR, July/Aug. 2004-Dolphin and SSR, September 2005-SSR, October 2006-SSR and DCL Eastern Halloween Cruise,June 2007-SSR, Star Wars Weekend, Sept. 2007- SSR,April 2008-SSR, June/July 2008-SSR and Vero Beach, Oct. 2008- DCL Eastern-Pirates in Paradise and SSR, Easter/April 2009,-BCV, Aug. 2009-DCL Eastern Tortola Treasure Seekers Cruise-in a CAT 3 and SSR, Dec. 2009, SSR - Feb. 2010, - OKW -April 2010-[COLOR="SeaGreen"]SSR - June/July 2010-- SSR and Vero Beach Oct.2010--OKW
Feb. 2011 OKW April 2011 SSR Aug. 2011 Vero Beach, DCL The Dream-DD, SSR, Oct. 2011 SSR Jan. 2012 OKW April 2012 SSR June 2012 DCL, Magic out of NYC June/July 2012 SSR, Vero Beach November 2012 40th Birthday Cruise DCL Thanksgiving Fantasy
kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #441
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter View Post
Where do you get those from Room Service????Thanks,,!!
Yes before Midnight when it closes down.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #442
TIGGERmetoo
DIS Veteran

customs?

There isn't a problem taken cookies off the ship when you go through customs?

Terri

TIGGERmetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #443
Snowwhitebelle

Good Question

I know they told you not to have open food, but there was a gingerbread house decorating class onboard the Mousefest cruise and a TON of families were carrying them through customs.

No one has had any troubles?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #444
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltink View Post
Order a bunch of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches from room service the night before an excursion. They come to you in the form of Smuckers Uncrustables, so they are super easy to throw in a bag and take with you. It'll save you from buying snacks while you're in port, which, depending on where you are, can be quite pricey!!!

Also, another great item to pack....a very small sized room spray. With multiple people sharing a small space, it really comes in handy for the bathroom. Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle Company both carry small little spray cans that you can easily pack.

If you plan on doing some duty free shopping while cruising, make sure you price out some of the items that you are interested in BEFORE you sail. My husband and I bought a bottle of a "rare" tequila in Mexico, thinking we got a great deal on something unique, only to find the same item for sale at home at Sam's Club for less money (AND we wouldn't have had to lug it home from Mexico, if we had known!) Same thing goes for perfume, cologne and jewelry! Make sure you're getting a good deal by being knowlegable before you sail!

I will also give my support to the idea of packing lots of various sized ziplock bags. First of all, I always put my toiletries into them before I pack them. That way, if something were to open in my luggage, it isn't going to ruin any clothes, or make a huge mess. I also use them to portion out candy (which I bring with me from home) for visits to the Buena Vista Movie Theater, the Walt Disney Theater or the Ariel View Screen. They can be used for dirty laundry, for wet bathing suits after excursions, and also as a make-shift cooler. When you're getting off the ship, pack the bag with ice and leave room to throw in some bottled water or snacks. There really are TONS of uses for Ziplock Bags! If anyone else has some good ideas, throw them out there!
I pack my undies in zip locks. A couple in each sandwich bag. Then I pack them in my carry on. This way, if my luggage is searched, no one has pawed through my personal items. If my carry on is searched, as it often is because of my jewelry and the pins on my lanyards and visor, I am standing there and can see that the baggie was not opened, it was just patted to be sure nothing was hiding in it. If it was opened, I would know which items to wash before wearing.

Due to the above mentioned frequency of carry-on checks, on our last flight I packed my pin-laden lanyards in a quart zip lock and jewelry in another. (Yes, it is costume jewelry, but it is mine, I chose it for the outfits I plan to wear, and I don't want to lose it.) Then at the airline security check I used four bins. One for sandals (I am not walking through there in sox and putting those dirty sox in my clean sneakers so I wear tevas) and visor which is covered with pins. One for laptop. One for quart bag of lanyards with pins and quart bag of jewelry. One for cell phone and hip-pack which I open and remove some of the contents so they can see what is there.

Then the backpack goes through on its own as now it has only undies, magazine and calender.

TA DA!! This time--no search!

While I am on the topic of security--I was told by one guard to cross my hands in front of my body. She said that Pooh-sized-people get closer to the sides of the frame and that can set it off. Not because of metal, but because we are wider. I have tried it and, while it does not always work, it works frequently!

Jan
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #445
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredkid View Post
I've even sometimes told them that I can't chose between A and B, so surprise me!! And it always is a surprise!! sometimes with a little extra sumthin from the other choice.
The servers are so amazing!

Our last cruise I ordered a scallop appetizer. When it arrived I thought it looked funny so took a tiny bite. It was raw.

The only raw stuff I like is vegetables so I moved it aside. Our server noticed right away and asked what was wrong. He suggested other appetizers but since I was not really hungry and most nights could not eat dessert since the portions were too large, I said I would skip the appetizer.

From then on, if there was any raw meat, sushi-type item, on the menu he pointed it out so I would avoid it. He would start each of those sentences with "I know you do not like raw fish, so...."

Impressed?

You bet! We tipped him well.

Jan
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #446
SLK1
DIS Veteran

At the very back of the ship, either Deck 7 or 8, you have to really go to the VERY back of the ship, and there is a deck where you can sun yourself or just enjoy the view. NO ONE is ever out there!
SLK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #447
Snowwhitebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
At the very back of the ship, either Deck 7 or 8, you have to really go to the VERY back of the ship, and there is a deck where you can sun yourself or just enjoy the view. NO ONE is ever out there!
well now there will be 300 of us there.....lololol
Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #448
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

the quiet deck is Deck 7, aft.

There really very seldom is anyone there, as pp stated. And even if there is, they want to be there for the peace and quiet too.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #449
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Something silly our family enjoys is watching the crew from Castaway Cay wave good-bye as the ship leaves...they have their big white "Mickey" hands on and they stand there waving good-bye as you leave. It's really cute. If your room is not on the port side of the ship, just go up to the upper decks and look out.

I'm not sure if they do this on the 3 or 4 night cruises, but on the 7-day cruise, they offer kids a Treasure Hunt. We weren't even going to mess with it but we have done it twice (once for my older two and the second time for my younger one) and it was really fun. We found places in Castaway Cay that we never would have found had it not been for the Treasure Hunt. And, in the end, they get a small treasure. It was fun and kept the kids looking and searching for clues. I recommend it!
SLK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #450
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Yup... they certainly do!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: