Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #31
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

I always hated the knots in my hair after getting out of the salt water for excursions because you often have awhile before you can get to fresh water and yanking them out just hurts. Someone told me to carry a little detangler with me around salt water - it works great.
poohs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #32
Stephieann
DIS Veteran
Oh no....he is MINE... I know where to find him... MATTY IS MINE!!

Location: My body is in Tennessee but my heart is in Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me
I always hated the knots in my hair after getting out of the salt water for excursions because you often have awhile before you can get to fresh water and yanking them out just hurts. Someone told me to carry a little detangler with me around salt water - it works great.
MENTAL NOTE!! GET DETANGLER!!!! THANKS FOR THE TIP!!
1st Disney Trip Magic Kingdom '92 Senior Trip~ 2nd Disney Trip, My first cruise--Cruised the Disney Wonder Oct 2006 Halloween Cruise!! ~3rd Disney Trip --Cruised the Disney Wonder Oct 2007Halloween Cruise!! ~WDW Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2009 MNSSHP! ~Disney Dream B2B October 2011~Disney Dream September 2013~~NEXT DCL Fantasy 2016!!

Stephieann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #33
crisi
DIS Veteran

My two favorite "tips."

The first is, do NOT feel stupid when you can't open your veranda door. Studies have shown that 67% of DCL cruises have to have their stateroom host show them how the door works. Of the ones that do manage to open it by themselves, 22% spent 10 or more minutes figuring it out. (hint, it swings and there is a lock on top that twists).

The second is that when you are looking and your really big luggage and remembering that someone said "stick it under the bed" and you start thinking "everyone else has skinnier luggage than I do" - lift the corner of the bed. They are really light and your bags will slide right under.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #34
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen76b
This really isn't a tip, but just wanted to say.. Don't feel guilty about leaving your kids in the Oceaneers club/lab... they will beg you to go and will not want to leave.

My DS7 had so much fun that he said he wants to go again, but he wants me to leave him in the club longer (he doesn't know we're going next year, but still talks about it all the time).
My tip would be the opposite, don't COUNT on your kids loving the club. Some kids you can't drag out, others you need to bribe in order to get to your Palo reservation.

My daughter is the first kind. She is planning her days around "can I spend all day in the club?" We had to carry a sleeping kid out last trip. My son wants to do one or two club things, but hang with his mom and dad. Last trip we would get paged as soon as whatever activity he was interested in ended.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #35
kplatt
DIS Veteran

I'm not a strong swimmer but love to snorkel. The vests that are provided on CC are not enough to keep me afloat, so I pack a small kickboard (flat, doesn't take up too much room). I jam it under the front of the vest and I can float around all day long without tiring.

Wonder, 11/01, Land/Sea - Magic, 3/02, Eastern Carib. - Magic, 11/02, Eastern Carib. - Carnival Destiny (no pixie dust!), 12/03, So. Carib. - Magic, 8/05, Eastbound Panama Canal Repo - Magic, 8/07, Westbound Transatlantic Repo - HAL Veendam, 2/09, Western Carib. - Celebrity Century, 3/09 - Magic, 8/09, Eastern Carib. - HAL Zaandam, 2/10, Hawaii - Magic, 3/10, Eastern Carib. - Dream, 2/11, Bahamas - Fantasy MV, 3/12, Western Carib. - Fantasy, 5/12, Eastern Carib. - HAL Eurodam, 8/12, Northern Europe/Transatlantic - Wonder, 2/13 - DCL TBD 2013
kplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #36
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Don't pre-plan too much, because once you are on the ship you most likely will find other things you'd rather do.

1) We didn't book Palo in advance, which was fine because we never had time to go.

2) We never got a chance to swim on board, too busy doing other things. Some folks pack multiple swimsuits, we only swam on Castaway Cay.

3) ALWAYS carefully read the Navigator, as veteran cruisers on other lines we were caught off guard that the shows are BEFORE late seating dinner.

4) Don't count on your kids wanting to go to the clubs. Be prepared to be together 24/7. This was our kids second cruise, so we knew they would prefer the "adult" activities to the kids clubs. It was a week for DW and I to be our kids friends, not "Mom and Dad".
Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #37
WiscMomof2
I must be a real dork because being a DIS Veteran just made my afternoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi
My tip would be the opposite, don't COUNT on your kids loving the club. Some kids you can't drag out, others you need to bribe in order to get to your Palo reservation.

My daughter is the first kind. She is planning her days around "can I spend all day in the club?" We had to carry a sleeping kid out last trip. My son wants to do one or two club things, but hang with his mom and dad. Last trip we would get paged as soon as whatever activity he was interested in ended.
I agree...I was totally surprised that neither of my girls were very thrilled with the clubs. We were almost late for our Palo reservation because we had to practically beg our younger DD to stay at the club. I felt bad but I wasn't missing Palo!!! So my tip is staying as flexible as possible as you just never know what's going to happen.
DCL Wonder ~ 01-07
CSR ~ 03-08
Poly CL ~ 08-09
POP ~ 06-10
Disneyland ~ 07-11
Offsite ~ 06-12
Offsite ~ 06-13
Offsite ~ 06-14
POP ~ 08-14

Me , DH , DD 18, DD 16
WiscMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #38
xlRacerXlx
\/\/o0t \/\/o0t

Some nights fun events (such as my personal favorite kareoke) start around 9:30. If you have late seating, it means you'd normaly have to pick between either food or singing. However! If you ask the waiters to expedite service the night before, they can actually give you the menus and have your food prepared for when you arrive. This way, you get both wonderful food and singing.

My thoughts on intelligence:

The scientist degrades dreams, imagination, and faeries; however, he fails to recognized that he loses himself in his own logic: It is the dreams, it is the imagination, it is the faeries that created science; Therefore, to become a true genious, you must both think logically, and act as a human. Without both, you become a either a mindless or soulless pawn of someone who is a genious.

Also! From the brilliant dudes, Bill & Ted. (Talking about So-crates)

Bill: Oh, that's the dude that said 'The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing'"
Ted: Bill, that's us dude!
xlRacerXlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #39
crisi
DIS Veteran

I'm implementing one I heard here right now....divide your families clothes between bags in case one gets lost. I have underwear for everyone spread between bags, casual clothes and dress up clothes spread between bags, swimsuits. If you see me in the same outfit for dinner all the time, one of the bags got lost, but at least I won't be wearing my husband's underwear.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #40
GrandFloridian4
Cruising is MAGICal & WONDERful

This is another great thread, thanx.

Here's a link to another: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post14877301

Cruising on the WONDER on our Anniversary

GrandFloridian4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #41
taeja71
I'll type real slow...

I've never come across this tip before.

VISINE. With all the activity and staying up late, my eyes were very bloodshot by the last day of our cruise. Luckily, my eyes are so small I don't think many people noticed except my kids. They thought I had monster eyes.
taeja71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #42
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

READ YOUR NAVIGATOR!!!! Because it was only listed on the very back and in a very small font, we missed the "midnight" dessert buffet..... I happened upon it as I was going back to the room for something but they told me I couln't stay because they were getting ready to close it down. DH and I were very disappointed!

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #43
JC Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me
Another easy solution is to soak your hair completely with fresh water before leaving. Put in lots of conditioner and don't rinse it out. Your hair will be too saturated to absorb the salt water. (optionally can braid or cover with hat) When you get back to fresh water, rinse out your hair and it will be super soft from your "deep conditioning" treatment.
JC Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #44
JC Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by discruiselovers97
Do you have any tips about things to help you on your cruise to get around the boat or just any tips?
Did you know that when you get out of the water and have to walk through the sand and hate all that sand stuck to your feet all you have to do is once out of the sand put baby powder on them and the sand just comes right off!
Ok, so before I make an even BIGGER idiot out of myself. You are suggesting bringing a bottle of baby powder to the beach. When I walk to let's say my lounge chair and my feet are full of sand (and still somewhat wet) I should put baby powder on top of them? And the sand comes off? I've never heard of this before!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #45
JC Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37
I also have found that showering in the ladies locker room in the spa/gym is so easy....they have shampoo/conditioner right in the shower and I go there straight from the adult pool....shower, wash my hair and then get dressed (temporary clothes...not my evening clothes) and go back to the cabin to dry my hair...saves time for me and this way I don't have to rush hubby in the shower.).
So do people walk around in just a robe or something? Trying to figure out how to not mess up all that preparing if I did use an alternate shower. Or just easy on/off clothing like swimwear?

Do people walk around the ship in only their swimwear without cover-up or towels? In my case, that could be a scary sight!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: