Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
elvisdiddy808
Earning My Ears

Using your own camera at meet and greets

At meet and greets, does anyone assist with taking photos if you have your own camera/phone or do they strictly only take photos to sell? We would love a few family photos but the pricing is a little steep.
elvisdiddy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

We found a few CM willing to take the picture. But we usually asked the party waiting in line behind/ahead of us. And we always offered to take their picture with their camera. Works out the best for us all!
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisdiddy808 View Post
At meet and greets, does anyone assist with taking photos if you have your own camera/phone or do they strictly only take photos to sell? We would love a few family photos but the pricing is a little steep.
The Shutters photographers will not use your camera to take your pictures. In most cases there is a DCL CM assisting the photographers, they will use your camera to take your picture.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

The only time we weren't able to use our camera was for the formal photo opportunities. These didn't involve characters.

The characters have a CM with them who will take pictures with your camera. The shutters photographers can't use your camera.

We also found fellow passengers were willing to take our photo when were on CC or onshore and wanted a family photo and would return the favor for them.

Take your camera everywhere, characters pop up all over the ship unannounced. You never know who you will meet at the pools, around the elevators, on the sports decks.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

The CM's were always happy to take a photo with my camera. In fact one time we were up right by the entrance to shutters and taking photos with the chandelier behind us (no one was up there at the time) and one of the shutters people came out and said "did you want a picture of all of you?" and she took a few for us. Very nice. My photo that Mickey's CM took of all of us was actually better than the one the photog took (I wouldn't buy theirs anyway b/c it's ridiculously priced and I'm a photog so it's unnecessary).

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
n8nally
DIS Veteran

The Shutters photo aspect is the one thing I hate at DCL. I wish it was Photopass. I found the Shutters people on my Dream cruise to be very rude. The prices are an abomination. Maybe cruise standard, but way too high for me! I found success asking guest behind me in line to take pics and DCL cast members when available. I actually went and looked at our Shutters folio and NONE were worth buying. When will Disney get a clue and switch over to Photopass??!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
dhutchin12
Earning My Ears

We have found that the CM's are more than willing to take your pictures. For the formal night pictures, we asked and the CM said he can't; however, he asked the family behind us for us. We have beautiful pictures from the cruise all taken on our camera.
dhutchin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
The Shutters photo aspect is the one thing I hate at DCL. I wish it was Photopass. I found the Shutters people on my Dream cruise to be very rude. The prices are an abomination. Maybe cruise standard, but way too high for me! I found success asking guest behind me in line to take pics and DCL cast members when available. I actually went and looked at our Shutters folio and NONE were worth buying. When will Disney get a clue and switch over to Photopass??!
Many people like the photos taken by the Shutters photographers.

I'll also point out that the photographers employed by Shutters are professional photographers. The photographers employed by Disney for PhotoPass are typically not professional. Although, some of them may be learning to be.

We've great pictures taken by Shutters photographers, and we've had good pictures taken by PhotoPass photographers. Percentage-wise (for us) the Shutters photographers take better pictures than the PhotoPass people.

YMMV

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Made Up Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Are they as rude as the porters?
Made Up Name is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: