Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
HACAM
Mouseketeer

Just back from CSR.....

Hello Folks,

Just thought I would post my 2 cents worth on our stay at CSR. We just returned yesterday, after a 4 night stay.
Before our arrival I had faxed off a room request to the resort asking for Ranchos section, preferably building 7B, once we arrived we indeed have a room in the Ranchos 7B building with a garden view (as opposed to the standard view we paid for). It was very nice, and I was pleased that they had honoured our request. The CM at the check in was very curtious and quick, he had us checked in in no time at all, and our room was ready once we arrived (we arrived at around noon). Walked to our room, which was not a very long walk at all. The room was nice, very clean.
Both my DH and I along with the other couple we travelled with, found the resort very beautiful, the landscaping was just outstanding, but we all found the same thing with this resort, that it seemed to lack something and the longer our stayed went on we realized what it was. This resort really is geared to conventioners, and really seems to lack that "Disney feel". I did like the rooms and the appearance of the resort, but I felt that the CM in the Pepper Market, Panchitos (gift shop), and the Maya Grill really could work on there friendly-ness, and customer service. We felt that they really did not seem to friendly, happy ...whatever. (All four of us felt this way, as we compared notes on the bus trip back to the airport). It just wasn't the same as our stay at POR in March. We also found that our resort seemed to wait the longest for buses and our line ups were the longest at the parks for bus pickups.
Unfortunately, I do not think that we will visit this resort again, as it just did not seem to live up to what I had expected. We were constantly comparing this resort with the service we recieved at POR, and in our opinion there is no comparision, POR far exceeds service, friendlyness, Disney magic etc.

Anyhow, these of course are just mine and my DH and friends opinions, CSR just wasn't for us!!
We are looking forward to going back, but back to POR!!
HACAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
LindsayDunn228
Quite a hunk of man, isn't he???
I laughed myself silly ... during the dancing

Sorry you didn't care for CSR. I personally like the convention-feel of the resort, but to each his own.
LindsayDunn228 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

Welcome back! Sorry you experience wasn't what you expected. There are plenty of resorts for everyone.
Buzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
michelle1
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised with your experiences with the buses because we found the opposite and we were there this past Aug. Twice we rode the bus and we were the only ones on it and the bus driver took us past the CSR bus stop to the closest point of the resort entrance that he could go. With a couple of exceptions, we never waited more than 10 min for a bus and never stood once in the 8 days we were there. Maybe it was a busier time at CSR for you because if I didn't already know it was a convention resort I would not have known because PM and the pool were never busy. We did also stay at POR and it did feel slightly more Disney to me also for some reason.
michelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
PamNC
A burger is a burger, right
I'd rather go down to Florida, visit Mickey and get some sand in my shoes

Welcome back

and thanks for the honest report. We haven't stayed at CSR in a long long time (1998). But, we're going back in November because budgets are tight and we can't do deluxe this time. We stayed at POR once and loved it but we want to try CSR again. The convention thing doesn't bother me - but it does bother others. We've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin which are convention hotels and some people say the same thing...we just never notice those things. I mean we notice conventioners around but it just doesn't register because we are in our own little world.

I'm glad to hear you got Ranchos 7B...that's what I am requesting. And I'm glad it was beautiful and clean.

PamNC
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
dixiedizfan
DIS Veteran

I so agree with everything you said! We had also stayed at POR previously, and there was a big difference in the feel of both places. CSR is beautiful, but definitely lacks the Disney magic. And to make it worse, we had tons of business people around us everywhere, with their name tags and cell phones. And you're right about the bus service. It's true the buses aren't crowded, but it takes forever for them to get to the bus stop, especially at the resort. We wasted lots of time waiting for those darn buses to come around. At POR the buses were crowded, but they at least ran continuously. Maybe if we hadn't gone to POR first we might have felt differently. We loved the Pepper Market, though.
dixiedizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Ishy
DIS Veteran

Lacking the magic or the music :)

I recently stayed at Coronado Springs and felt it was wonderful. It was a bit more spread out but when I could I took advantage of the coaches. The staff was GREAT, with the exception of the little old ladies that work the dessert counter in Pepper Market.... and that was because she made a comment about the 'free dinner people being pains in the tookus' - Yes I was on the dining plan, and I got it for free, but that doesnt make me a second class tourist. All I did was ask for the cobbler that I had the night before - I didn't know that it WAS NOT on the dining plan that day... it was the two days previously. Everyone else was great.

The themeing was magical around the pool and the rest of the resort but what I did note was that the buildings were REALLY quiet... then I realized I missed the music. At POP there is music everywhere and POFQ I had a nice room close to the main building and pool so again, music that adds to the feel. I dont remember the music at the Beach Club. I find the more musical areas to add to the magic.
Ishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
HACAM
Mouseketeer

I just think that the whole convention thing is not for us. There were a number of conventioners around with the tags, cellphones the whole bit. We really did not like that, and now I know better for next time. The resort itself is beautiful, the rooms are very nice, and the pool was never crowded, and the theming around the pool area is really nice. We just really were not impressed with the bus system or the food court area, and thought that the staff were not a pleasant as those CM's at POR. (With the exception of our housekeeper, and the gentlemen who check us in).

I thought that the buses to go anywhere (except Blizzard beach) took a really long time. To get to Typhoon Lagoon one day it took our driver almost 40 minutes just to get to that park ( that bus also stops at DTD marketplace and pleasure island). It also seemed that there were more buses for all the other Mods then there were for CSR...maybe it was just us, but that is what we thought. Our resort was very busy during these 4 nights we stayed, booked to capacity, so I am sure that it contibuted to all the waits with buses, PM etc.

But, I would like to say that it is a beautiful resort, and the landscaping is very pretty, the rooms were very clean, and housekeeping took good care of us, our housekeeper was Connie, very nice lady.

Like I said before it was just different for us, we really enjoyed POR more than CSR. I think it was also different for us because we did not bring our kids with us, and we were missing them too. (I am sure that played a part in all of it). CSR is a very nice resort, just not our cup of tea!
HACAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
STEVEMED
Mouseketeer

I also stayed at csr and found the buses to be very slow.I went during free dining so I don't know if that had something to do with it.
STEVEMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
jojomg
Mouseketeer

I agree

I have stayed at csr twice and I know exactly what you mean...I couldn't explain the feeling but you did ...It didn't seem disney. I didn't get that happy disney feel ,,also port orleans french quater I didn't get that disney feeling. I get it cbr and por riverside.When I even see pictures of wilderness lodge I get giddy with happieness..or the poly.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
dixiedizfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomg
I have stayed at csr twice and I know exactly what you mean...I couldn't explain the feeling but you did ...It didn't seem disney. I didn't get that happy disney feel ,,also port orleans french quater I didn't get that disney feeling. I get it cbr and por riverside.When I even see pictures of wilderness lodge I get giddy with happieness..or the poly.
I agree about a lack of Disney feel at POFQ, too. POR and CBR have a definite "Disney" feel to them ... CSR and POFQ not so much.
dixiedizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
tacomaranch
Tacoma Ranch home of wild mustangs! We are all on the spectrum*

I go to the parks for the feel of disney and when I am resting I like to rest. I don't need 100% disney all the time. It does get on my nerves. I love OKW because it has a very laid back feeling and not Disney.
tacomaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
snowbunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaranch
I go to the parks for the feel of disney and when I am resting I like to rest. I don't need 100% disney all the time. It does get on my nerves.
Me too...maybe it's all my years of business travel but I don't mind conventioneers and their name tags at all...they don't go in the pool much and I don't have to listen to their kids having melt downs (only mine).
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Cool-Beans
Flippin' PINK
Finally admitted it’s her flippin' cat
I always had a thing for Agent Almeida
Queen of the Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishy
The staff was GREAT, with the exception of the little old ladies that work the dessert counter in Pepper Market.... and that was because she made a comment about the 'free dinner people being pains in the tookus' - Yes I was on the dining plan, and I got it for free, but that doesnt make me a second class tourist. All I did was ask for the cobbler that I had the night before - I didn't know that it WAS NOT on the dining plan that day... it was the two days previously. Everyone else was great.
OMG! I think we had the same lady. I was NOT on the dining plan. I asked for a Key Lime Pie and she said, "You can't get that."

I can't?

"No, you can't get that on the plan." I went round and round with her explaining I wasn't on the plan, but she kept insisting I couldn't have the pie! I said, "I'm going to pay for it. I'll pay for it with money." But, nothing worked. As if it is there just for show! Finally got someone else who came over and gave me the pie.

I was annoyed, but not angry. And I was mostly annoyed because I deal with confused old people all the time for work and just hated putting that hat on my head while vacationing.

Other than that one loopy woman, I like the staff at CSR. My check-in guy and housekeeper were both very friendly without acting phony or like they were my best bud. Just nice people. And everyone else was pleasant enough.

Convention people don't bug me at all - and they aren't just at CSR. I've seen them in other hotels, too (Beach Club leaps to mind, but there are others.) They stay out of the pool during the day!

I think CSR is a beautiful property. Gorgeous landscaping and courtyards. Everywhere you look, it is pretty. Little details everywhere, like the direction poles. It is fun & funky while peaceful all at once (and especially tranquil in the early morning.)

OP, sorry you didn't love CSR as much as I do. Hope your next trip is more fun for you!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
binky
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=HACAM] We also found that our resort seemed to wait the longest for buses and our line ups were the longest at the parks for bus pickups.

This statement right here proves that there is no clear-cut answer as to the quality of bus service at each resort. There has been thread after thread condemning the bus service at POR. This frustrated me, because we stayed at POR for a week in May, and the buses were excellent. I hated to see someone wanting to stay at POR, but deciding against it based on the fear of terrible bus service. On the other hand, fans of CSR rave about the bus service. Well, the OP had a bad experience with the buses at CSR. This just goes to show you that you really must take all these reviews (especially the negative ones) with a grain of salt. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to choose which resort appeals to you the most: look at pictures, see what themes you like, decide what your budget will allow for, and then decide. I would never pick a resort based on bus service, good or bad, because once you get there you could have a completely different opinion than you were expecting. Not everyone's idea of "good" or "bad" ANYTHING is the same
binky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: