Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
kami2199
DIS Veteran

Bug bites turn into blisters? UPDATE

My family met up last night with the other family that will be joining us on our Disney trip. Their little girl who is 8 has a terrible time with bug bites. I mean the girl is covered in them and then has allergic reactions to them to make matters worse. They have tried it all, bug spary, long sleeves, etc to no avail. So last night she comes out and she has this blister/boil type thing on her leg. It was about the diameter of a penny but was more like a blister as it was fluid filled? It almost reminded me of chicken pox or something (which she's already had) but it was just in the one spot. It did itch like crazy though. Anyone ever seen anything like that from a bite? She's never had this reaction - usually they just swell. Any ideas?

Update: it is an infected spider bite, they put her on antibiotics for 10 days. I forgot to ask if they drained it but she didn't mention it in the email to me so probably not.

Last edited by kami2199; 09-18-2006 at 09:05 AM.
kami2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Brianne
Don't get me started on the flamingos with santa hats
I'm a dash kinda gal. I'm sorry - No, I'm not sorry - Viva la dashes!

My DD had a bite like that a couple weeks ago. We have mosquitos & noseeums in abundance here this time of year. I suspect it was a noseeum bite that caused it.

I wish I had some advice for her but I don't. She might want to be checked for allergies if it continues, which is what we're planning to do if it happens to DD again.

---Bree (only my mother calls me Brianne )

Disney Addicted Mom Of Four:

Sam Lexi Milo
Brianne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

Could be a repeat round of chicken pox. Its not as uncommon as most people think.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

It also could be a spider bite. There's no ring around it, is there?

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
jbthi
DIS Veteran

My mosquito and no-see-um bites usually turn into blisters, sometimes large like that and sometimes very small.

The main thing that helps me is taking antihistamines.
jbthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
kami2199
DIS Veteran

No, no ring that I can remember but I didn't get right up on it as everyone looking at it was kinda freaking her out. I'll ask her mom though. It would be a wierd case of chicken pox though as it started on her lower leg right above her ankle and they are nowhere else...but I guess it could be, you never know...Geez, I hope not - we are leaving in a week for Disney.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Could be a red ant bite. They do that and are extremely uncomfortable until the fluid is released.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Virgo10
Really, this year there's no one who floats my boat

ACK! I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. The general consensus on the DIS was that it was a chigger bite. These are really small and nasty bugs. The pustule was huge and, WOW, did it ever itch. I treated it topically but if it happens again, I'll use oral benadryl.

Poor kid. Maybe there is something she could put on that a doctor could recommend. If she has the same type of bites that I did, you're looking at major itching for at least a week.
Virgo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!

My son gets blisters after he gets bitten by mosquitos. They start out as a red spot but turn into blisters. He's allergic to them.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

My son has reactions to bug bites. Normally the area gets really red and hard.

Well this summer he got bit by something on his ear. I noticed it at 9 am and it looked like a small bug bite. By the end of church the bite was starting to look like a pimple and his ear was getting red. By 3:00 his ear had doubled in size and the pimple was a huge blister. By 5:00 he looked like Dumbo riding a fire engine. My neighbor made me take him to the ER.

It was STREP (not staph), like strep throat. If the puss is yellow it's usually staph, if it's clear it's usually strep. Of course I didn't pop it so I wouldn't have known. I guess you can get strep from a bug bite. I'd never heard of it before. Anyway, they immeditaly put him on antibiotics and I had to follow up the next day with his pediatrician.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
msdznyduck
Victim of the latest fly by tagging
my kids were shocked when they found out the music truck sells ICE CREAM. They just thought it was a neighbor riding around playing music for his friends

When DS was small, he was extremely allergic to mosquitos and gnat bites. He would get these blisters from bites, and then they would either pop or he scratched them open, so he would have these open sores. I have a picture of him playing in DMIL's sandbox with a hat and scarf on him protecting his ears, since when he got bit on the ears, they swelled up (poor little guy...) and when he walked they flapped they were so huge. Shoulda had one of those beekeeper headgear things. We were at Busch Gardens in VA one year, and he got bitten multiple times on his legs and turned into cellulitis. Hot, red, and hard little legs. Trip to the ER.

To make it worse, he was the one that the mosquitoes, gnats, noseeums, etc. all went for. We told him he had sweet blood, and that's why they were attracted to him. His DSis, DH and I hardly would get bitten at all.

We bought one of those ultrasonic, type things that hang on a keychain and clipped it to his pant beltloops. It did help, didn't keep them ALL away, but it did help quite a bit.

~~*msdznyduck*~~

Imagine all the people living life in peace.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one.
--John Lennon

We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. ---Randy Pausch

Be kinder than necessary. 'Cause everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
msdznyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
kami2199
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle
It also could be a spider bite. There's no ring around it, is there?

OK, just talked to her mom, yes there is a red ring around it. What does that mean???
Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
HeatherH
Earning My Ears
Okay, okay, I cry uncle, I AM quirky too!
I got the last tag of the night!

It means her mom needs to take her to the DOCTOR! I have a child who is severely allergic to most insects, and that red ring means there is an INFECTION and she needs an antibiotic...NOW.

My child has had EXACTLY those symptoms after insect bites, MANY TIMES...and it means an infection. PLEASE tell her mom to take that child to the doctor.
HeatherH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #14
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

She should go see a Dr. Whenever my daughter gets bit by a mosquito she needs to go on antibiotics because it turns to cellulitis within 3 days and that could be very bad.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #15
polyfan
DIS Veteran

She needs to see adoctor- Our neighbor's daughter had a bug bite that blistered- it turned out to be staph infection- I believe it was called MSR
2002-April-CSR
2002-July-Polynesian
2003-Polynesian
2004-Polynesian
2005-July-Polynesian
2005-November-CBR
2006- July- Boardwalk Inn
2006-November- All Star Sports
2007-July- Disneyland
2007- November-All Star Sports
2008-July-Disneyland
2008-November-All Star Sports