Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Baby food books

I've just introduced rice cereal to my 4 and a half month old daughter. Is there a book about baby food and solids and how much/how often to give your baby a day?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

Your pediatrician should be your guide. Call the office and see if they have any handouts for you. Many of the baby food companies have them free. The websites for Gerber and the others should also help you. Usually you offer it twice a day to begin, usually morning and night then add in lunch time. Since you baby is unique your doctor should be your guide.

There are a lot of websites about making homemade baby fruits, veggies and meats. I enjoyed doing this for my boys.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Follow cues from your child. That is the only real way to know. I have one son that would only drink about 6 oz from a bottle, ever. When it came to solids, would eat a small amount of 2 or 3 different things every 4 hours or so. My youngest would eat and adult cereal bowl full of baby cereal and 2 LARGE cans of baby food at every meal. DD was in the middle of the two.

For just starting out, give the cereal once/twice a day for a couple days and once she gets the hang of it, start offering it at each feeding. She will turn her head away when she is full and doesn't want any more. She will also drink less formula/breast milk so be prepared for that. It is best to offer the food first, then the bottle/breast. My oldest would wait about an hour after food to nurse/take a bottle and then would take his nap. The twins wanted it all at the same time.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

Do you have "What to Expect the First Year"?
I really liked that one (8 years ago)
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
bjgrazi
I remember those days fondly
WL is also my dream
Applied for a job at a clothing optional office

Teresa, I just started dealing with feeding also and have the same questions.

We started on rice, then added a fruit. Chris eats solids twice a day, but I'm not sure either when to add lunch. The Dr. never mentioned that.

Now all this I should know, but it's almost 15 years since I fed an infant.
bjgrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
bgirldeb
DIS Veteran
Sometimes when I'm in the hair care aisle I have to go sniff the Aussie scrunch spray

I really liked the Super Baby Food Book by Ruth Yaron

http://www.superbabyfood.com/
bgirldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I did one solid feeding a day at 4months, then 2 feedings the 5th month, then 3 feedings a day from the 6th month on. My 1st & 3rd children didn't care much about food until they hit 6months (or more), but #2 was scooping things off my plate by the time she was 2months old. She loved everything about her spoon, so I advanced her pretty quickly.

Just don't be alarmed if they don't nurse as much--that's normal. It doesn't mean their quitting. On the other hand, if they don't take to solids, don't worry. Eventually they'll eat. In the meantime, they can live on breast milk or formula.

I used a book called "Feed Me, I'm Yours" by Vicki Lansky. It was very straight forward about what to try when and had some great recipes in it. I don't know if it's still in print,but it would be worth a try.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
pperfectmom
Has the sense of direction of a manatee
What's a chachi?

Another vote for "Super Baby Food". It has great advice on when you can start different foods, how much to feed, what stuff is best to use organic and has a lot of recipes. I used it for both kids and recommended it to all my friends.

pperfectmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Soulgirl
Earning My Ears

I used to liquidise/mash what we as a family were having for dinner providing it was pretty bland - no onions or chilli's :D
Soulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
lyeag
DIS Veteran

http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Me-Im-You.../dp/0671884433

I had a WONDERFUL book titled Feed Me I'm Yours. It was very helpful with my firstborn. I didn't have any family around to help. It was a godsend. It has a breakdown of age appropriate finger foods starting at around 6 months. It has recipes for homemade baby food, toddler recipes, ideas for birthdays and seasonal parties. I used it with all my kids and then passed it on to another young mother.
lyeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyeag
http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Me-Im-You.../dp/0671884433

I had a WONDERFUL book titled Feed Me I'm Yours. It was very helpful with my firstborn. I didn't have any family around to help. It was a godsend. It has a breakdown of age appropriate finger foods starting at around 6 months. It has recipes for homemade baby food, toddler recipes, ideas for birthdays and seasonal parties. I used it with all my kids and then passed it on to another young mother.
\

Great minds think alike
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I was going nuts trying to figure out how much to give my son. He is a bigger baby (not fat, just solid) and I didn't want to over or underfeed him. He has always been talented at eating

I came up with my own plan (after trial and error), and it seems to work for us. He has been on cereals since 10 weeks though, so my amounts may seem a bit advanced (oh, and my doctor doesn't want him having more than 36 ounces of formula a day).

Breakfast- 1/4 cup oatmeal and 1/2 jar fruit, 6 oz. formula
Lunch- 1/4 cup rice and 1 jar of yellow veggie (carrots, sw. pot. or squash), 6 ounce formula
Mid-afternoon- 6 oz. formula
Dinner- 1/4 barley, 1 jar green veggie (peas, green beans), 1/2 jar fruit, and 6 ounce formula (though he usually only drinks about 4 ounces)
Bed Time- 6 oz. formula

We worked up to these amounts slowly, introducing the fruits first, then the yellow veggies, then the green veggies. I try to give him more veggies than fruit because I don't want him to get used to so much sweetness.

Now that he is 6 months old, he seems to get hungry by his next feeding....we have a few more jars of the first foods left but this weekend I plan on starting him on the seconds....I will probably stick to the same schedule but just use the larger jars and try some of the combination jars. Oh, and my son liked absolutely everything he ate.....he is not a picky eater at all. I think that is his talent in life

puffkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
amarberry
DIS Veteran

I loved the Super Baby Food book. It had great advice! Around the time DD, my mom actually found a very old and worn copy of Feed Me, I'm Yours that she used for my brother and I back in the 70s. She loved that book.
amarberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog
\

Great minds think alike
Wow, didn't even see that you posted about it. I just read the OP. Great minds do think alike!
lyeag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: