Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Charlotea
Mouseketeer

Highs and Lows of our 21st Birthday and Christmas trip

So we are back from our once in a lifetime christmas trip to Disneyland Paris. We had an amazing time and loved the DLH as much as everyone said we would!

Highs

- Being reunited with our best friend Beth after she moved away to university in September was one of the best parts of our holiday! We met in the train station and it was like she had never left.

- the DLH was INCREDIBLE! We had a beautiful room which overlooked the turnstiles and the train station. We could see the top of the Christmas tree and hear the park music. If we looked out the windows a certain way at night we could see the top of the castle. It took us a grand total of 45 seconds to get from our room to the doors of the DLH. After we had checked in we were waiting for the lift when a cast member decided he would show us to our room. We are sure he was on his way to somewhere and thought it would be nice to direct us as we had clearly just checked in. This was very nice of him and made it even more special.

- We weren't charged for the macaroons which we sent payment for to have in our room which was really lovely.

- We had beautiful sunshine on Tuesday and we barely needed our coats on. (It rained persistently on Wednesday and Friday but we won't mention that!)

- EMH was our favourite time of day and seeing the park adjust to daylight was beautiful.

- The tree lighting ceremony was brilliant and made me feel very Christmassy. We loved it and much preferred it to Disney Dreams of Christmas! More on that later...

- Once we had sorted out our hotel fastpasses (see lows) they were really useful. It meant we could ride ratatouille altogether for the first time, after that we just used the single rider queue.

- Riding BTM in the dark was so much fun and it was great to go at this time of year as in the summer it wasn't dark until 20 minutes before Dreams started!

- I loved Ratatouille, it's one of my favourite rides at DLP I think, along with pirates and BTM. Beth wasn't bothered either way and it made Christie feel a bit travel sick!

- Breakfast was amazing! Beth did not stop talking about the scrambled egg and I loved the pancakes with syrup (how do they taste so good!) On Thursday we were seated in the overflow room which was not magical at all and it felt like were in back in the travelodge! On Friday we went to the park to have an hour of EMH then went back for breakfast with the intention to finish packing afterwards. When we made our way to Inventions we saw them directing people to the overflow room. Beth had the genius idea to go back to our room to pack first then go to breakfast and cross our fingers we would get to eat in Inventions one last time. We went back and were directed to California Grill which pleased us immensely as it had a better view and nicer area to choose your food. And it meant we had seen both resturants!

Lows (more like minor inconveniences as we can't say there were any real lows to this holiday)

- we weren't told (and didn't realise) the the DLH fastpasses had dates on, and as we only had one person booked into the room and added two more on at check in, they were printed weirdly so we used the wrong ones. Reception were less than happy to sort it out for us!

- Hakuna matata was shut all week. We ate here on our last trip and having been waiting to eat the chicken strips again ever since. In fact quite a few of the restaurants were closed.

- Some guests were quite rude and we overheard a gentleman in the queue for Carousel de Lancelot say that his kids would not get to ride a horse as there were too many adults in front and that people usually come to DLP with their kids!! I had been prepared to offer his kids my seat but not with a comment like that. We all pay to be there after all!

- Smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The eurostar check in to come home was horrendous! The train was fully booked and despite getting to the train station at 3.20 the queue was already snaking all the way down the the escalator and back to the disney express desk. This caused some issues as we didn't know where the end of the queue was and we felt quite sad when a man accused us of pushing in! We had no desire to jump the queue we just wanted to know where to stand. Once through security we were held in an area before the escalator which was so full people were queuing on the stairs. Despite being the fourth family in our carriage there was no luggage room and we had to put our suitcases in between the seats.

- We weren't really taken by the merchandise and struggled to spend our money!

- I had been really looking forward to buying a stitch tsum tsum but he was not to be found anywhere. She also wanted a 2014 sorcerer Mickey pin but they only had 2015. I have identical ones with dates on from each of our trips so I was quite disappointed. If anyone has a 2014 one they would be willing to sell or trade with me I would happily oblige! I will post a picture of the one I mean shortly.

- we were not at all taken by Disney Dreams of Christmas and I renamed it Disney Dreams of Frozen. We watched it on Monday night and didn't bother again. We stood behind the hub on the right and the experience wasn't helped by children running onto the grass every two seconds and being told to move. I understand it's frustrating when they can't see but that's why you wait for a spot!

- On our last day we went to the studios for 10am so Christie and Beth could get Fastpasses for TOT and we could do single rider for Ratatouille. Well this plan went out of the window as the FP slot was for 2.30pm when we needed to be at the train station! The wait time said 5 minutes so in they went while I sat an waited....and waited....and waited... at 10.50am they finally emerged. This wouldn't have been an issue had we not needed to check out at 11! We had to run back to the DLH in the rain which was actually quite funny thinking about it.

Sorry this has been so long and that there are more highs than lows. We really did have a fantastic time and it still doesn't feel real that we have stayed in the big pink hotel!

Last edited by Charlotea; 12-21-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Charlotea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
kizzabel
Eating poisonous apples since '86

Welcome home
So glad the highs outweigh the lows and it sounds like you a brilliant girly trip
Thanks so much for sharing
2010: Santa Fe - March ** Newport - May 2011: Cheyenne - March ** Sequoia Lodge - November 2012: Hotel New York - May - Honeymoon ** Dream Castle - October 2013: Hotel New York - January ** Santa Fe - October 2014: Disneyland Hotel - May *** Disneyland Hotel - November

Upcoming Trips:
2015 Kyriad/Newport - March 2016 Sequoia Lodge - January *** Hotel New York May

kizzabel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
BabyAriel
Mouseketeer

Glad you had a great time despite a few lows. That first pic of the castle is just gorgeous
BabyAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Isila
There is a big beautiful tomorrow

Welcome back. Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip. And I love your photos.

April, 2014 SF; March, 2013, SL; Marc, 2012, HNY; March, 2011, HNY
Isila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back, looks like you had a lovely trip

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

some wonderful highs there for a great birthday trip ladies .
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun, December 14 HNY
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: