Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #1411
Fairy Princess Mom
Mouseketeer

So I have ordered a FE and I understand the concept.

Here's what I don't know how to do, our Cruise isn't until Nov and everyone talks about making homemade things and picking up items when they find them. How do you know how many to make or buy when numbers aren't finalized until a month before? Do you just guess and hope?

Any advise will be so appreciated!!
Fairy Princess Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #1412
dbenlee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Princess Mom View Post

Here's what I don't know how to do, our Cruise isn't until Nov and everyone talks about making homemade things and picking up items when they find them. How do you know how many to make or buy when numbers aren't finalized until a month before? Do you just guess and hope?

On your cruise thread someone has probably volunteered to organize the FE list. At some point, agreed upon by the members of the cruise thread, it will be decided when to stop accepting new people to the FE list. A lot of time this is a month or 2 before the cruise date. This gives everyone on the FE list time to finalize their FE gifts so they have the correct numbers. Those who start buying early try to guestimate the total numbers needed and possibly get a few extras for any late arrivals. For our upcoming cruise my DW didn't actually start buying or making anything until we had the final list, she spent a lot of time before that deciding what she wanted to do for different age groups and genders.
June 2004 * Wilderness Lodge (sons first visit) --- June 2005 * Wilderness Lodge --- June 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- November 2006 * Beach Club Resort --- May/June 2007 * Yacht Club --- June 2008 Land & Sea * Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian and Disney Wonder 3 nights --- December 5, 2008 * Beach Club Resort --- ]une 13, 2009 * Disney Magic 7 nights --- June 4 to 18, 2010 * Bay Lake Towers --- June 12 to 17, 2011 * Disney Dream --- December 16-20, 2011 * Bay Lake Towers --- May 31 to June 11 2012 * Aulani --- February 1-5, 2013 * Disney Magic --- June 15, 2013 * Disney Fantasy 7 night Eastern Caribbean --- November 24, 2013 * Disney Magic 5 night Western Caribbean --- June 10-14, 2014 * Aulani
Looking forward to many more with DW (Texas Disney Fan) and DS15!!

DISDad member #2

dbenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #1413
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:

Which cruise are you on in Nov?? We sail on the Double Dip sailing Nov 12 and we have a thread here for our cruise, and setting up a meet and greet as well as FE's!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1414
moniqueelaine
Mouseketeer

Just ordered my FE off Ebay..yay..cannot wait for my cruise NEXT SUMMER ..so far away.....
Old 05-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #1415
FortWildernessLoopy
WDW Vet since birth

For those of you who are sewing (or have sewed) your own FE's, have any of you tried making the pockets pleated with elastic at the top of the pocket? I was thinking I'd do this for my FE, but not sure how it would look with an applique on the front of the pocket.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #1416
whitfive
Mouseketeer

We are not cruising until June 2012 on the Fantasy. Our cruise meet group already had about 23 rooms interested in participating in the FE. We voted to close "group 1" to keep it from getting out of hand. Now the next 23 or so rooms will be in "group 2" and so on. If we already have this many and we are more than a year out, it could get ridiculous!! It depends on how many you have interested and if they want to break into smaller groups.
Just a thought.......
Have fun!
Michelle

ME DH DS 18 DD17 DS 13

WDW:May 2000,Feb 2002,Nov 2003,Dec 2005, Jan 2007,Nov 2007,Feb 2009,Dec 2010,Nov 2011, Sept 2012,May 2013, Dec 2013, March 2014, Sept 2014
DCL: April 2010-Wonder 4 nt. Bahama June 2012-Fantasy 7 nt. Eastern Feb 9 2013-Magic 6 nt.Western Oct 27 2013-Dream 4 nt Bahama Jan. 2, 2014-Dream 3 nt. Bahama March 7, 2014-Magic 3 nt Bahama June 7, 2014-Fantasy 7 nt. Western Oct 1 2014-Wonder 5 nt Double Dip Jun 20, 2015-Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Carnival: Aug 2011-Facination 4 night Bahama
whitfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1417
AmandaRG
Addict-in-training for all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortWildernessLoopy View Post
For those of you who are sewing (or have sewed) your own FE's, have any of you tried making the pockets pleated with elastic at the top of the pocket? I was thinking I'd do this for my FE, but not sure how it would look with an applique on the front of the pocket.
I'm not sure how you would work the elastic, but it could be worth a shot. I'd probably try it on a test piece before it is appliqued. I just cut my fabric to 11" and pleated it in two places to make it expandable.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #1418
AmandaRG

Quote:

Not all FE gifts have to be the same. If I find some cute things at a good price, I'll buy 10 or 20 of them and put them away for later. I bought WAY more before our March cruise, so I have some cute things left for future cruises. I also plan on making some items. On our last one, I had a grown-up bag, and different themed bags for boys and girls with age appropriate toys for over 7 and 7 and under.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #1419
Totoro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitfive View Post
We are not cruising until June 2012 on the Fantasy. Our cruise meet group already had about 23 rooms interested in participating in the FE. We voted to close "group 1" to keep it from getting out of hand. Now the next 23 or so rooms will be in "group 2" and so on. If we already have this many and we are more than a year out, it could get ridiculous!! It depends on how many you have interested and if they want to break into smaller groups.
Just a thought.......
Have fun!
Michelle
I like this idea. Our FE was about 15 families, which I felt was just the right size. I have heard of larger FE groups of 30 or 40 families and that almost seems too big.
WDW 1997 Coronado Springs| 2001 Hampton Inn LBV | 2008 Sept: All-Star Sports · Nov: Pop Century | 2009 Sept: Pop Century | 2010 Sept: Pop Century | 2011 Aug: Pop Century| 2013 July: All-Star Movies | 2014 Feb: All-Star Sports
DLR 2007 Sheraton Anaheim | 2012/2014 Best Western Park Place Inn
DCL 2011 Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2013 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #1420
Fairy Princess Mom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great tips! I'm such the planner and I guess I was just trying to get ahead start.

We are sailing Nov 13 on our DD's 5th birthday!. Too bad we are going to miss you.

I will keep reading and searching for tips and hoping to get everything just right. Thank goodness for these boards!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #1421
AmandaRG

Quote:
Thanks for the great tips! I'm such the planner and I guess I was just trying to get ahead start.

We are sailing Nov 13 on our DD's 5th birthday!. Too bad we are going to miss you.

I will keep reading and searching for tips and hoping to get everything just right. Thank goodness for these boards!
Our DD will be 4 on the 15th, but we are doing Halloween on board!

As for the boards, they definitely made our (read MY) trip planning so much better and easier. Just remember not to try to do everything. We missed a couple of things we had wanted to do and I had to work really hard to not be upset about it. That is one of the reasons we booked a b2b for next year. Sometimes there were activities we wanted to do that were simultaneous on the schedule. Now we can work in both on that trip!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #1422
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaRG View Post
Not all FE gifts have to be the same. If I find some cute things at a good price, I'll buy 10 or 20 of them and put them away for later. I bought WAY more before our March cruise, so I have some cute things left for future cruises. I also plan on making some items. On our last one, I had a grown-up bag, and different themed bags for boys and girls with age appropriate toys for over 7 and 7 and under.
That's kind of what I've done! Our cruise is in Oct on the Magic. I started working on our main 'cabin' gifts about a month ago (figured I'd give one per family), but I've also picked up and made along the way, gifts appropriate for the kids ages. Our meets coordinator (give a shout out to Maureen) has done a great job of listing everyone so that we'll know ages/cabins/families..etc.
What's nice is that there are no limits...something little, homemade, or just whatever suits your fancy! It has been fun so far!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #1423
Fairy Princess Mom
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I do understand wanting to do it all. I would love to do a B2B, but my DH isn't as big of a nut as me!

Having one for each family is good as well. So many ideas. How much does everyone generally spend on 20 rooms? Has anyone ever mailed a package to the ship prior to arrival and if so do you think the expense was worth it?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #1424
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Having one for each family is good as well. So many ideas. How much does everyone generally spend on 20 rooms? Has anyone ever mailed a package to the ship prior to arrival and if so do you think the expense was worth it?
I probably spent more than I meant to, but my project just grew and grew.. started out one thing, and the ideas kept coming...

I would like to know the answer to the mailing of packages though also. I will have to mail 2 down (but we have 3 cabins), so I need to know how far out you can mail them. Anyone know? And also just how do you explain everything on the outside? I read where you have to list what's inside...do you do this on a card taped to the outside? Would love some insight on this one...

Last edited by sullins5; 05-29-2011 at 08:08 PM.
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #1425
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

and...we just finished our Fe..or rather my 22 dd did! Here's her handmade, handsewn, hot-glued FE:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: