Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #1381
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

I got Mine!

I wish I was creative like most of you and could sew....but I went ahead and went on eBay and i GOT Mine!

It's a Pooh design!

Now I just have to plan for the 28 people on our DIS meet who are doing this with me on our cruise.

Appreciate the responses about doing one per cruise or one per day.

With so many of us I really need to think this one thru....

thanks everyone for sharing!
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #1382
AmandaRG
Addict-in-training for all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayna View Post
OK, so I need some creativity help from some of the most creative people I *know*!

I've got this long red "thing" that I used when I was teaching. But, it's got WAY too many pockets (there's just 2 of us, and it's got 12 pockets. I hope I NEVER have use for all of those pockets! LOL!!! ) The "white" things are actually clear holders for pocket labels.

How can I "spruce" this thing up and make it look more Disney and more "FE" appropriate?! All suggestions (no matter how horrible they actually are ) are MORE than welcomed!!!
It looks like it is nylon, which might make it difficult to do any iron-on type stuff. If you think that you would use it in the future, I wouldn't get rid of all of the extra pockets (I'm guessing you were planning to cut it down).

You might be able to hand stitch on some appliques, or use stickers.

Does it have three grommets at the top? It might be hard to hang as it could buckle up in the middle if you threaded ribbon on the two outside ones.

Sorry that I don't seem to be much "help"! I have seen where people just hung a cutely decorated tote bag...no major FE pockets or anything.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #1383
AmandaRG
Addict-in-training for all things Disney!

I thought I had posted a pic of ours when I finished it, but looking back, I didn't.

I can't wait to use it again!! It was so much fun to make (and take!!!) that there may be more coming. We are doing Halloween this year and right before Christmas next year!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #1384
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaRG View Post
It looks like it is nylon, which might make it difficult to do any iron-on type stuff. If you think that you would use it in the future, I wouldn't get rid of all of the extra pockets (I'm guessing you were planning to cut it down).

Does it have three grommets at the top? It might be hard to hang as it could buckle up in the middle if you threaded ribbon on the two outside ones.

Sorry that I don't seem to be much "help"! I have seen where people just hung a cutely decorated tote bag...no major FE pockets or anything.
Thanks. I might just break down and buy the materials to make one myself.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #1385
Kag30273
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayna View Post
OK, so I need some creativity help from some of the most creative people I *know*!

I've got this long red "thing" that I used when I was teaching. But, it's got WAY too many pockets (there's just 2 of us, and it's got 12 pockets. I hope I NEVER have use for all of those pockets! LOL!!! ) The "white" things are actually clear holders for pocket labels.

How can I "spruce" this thing up and make it look more Disney and more "FE" appropriate?! All suggestions (no matter how horrible they actually are ) are MORE than welcomed!!!
I ordered some DCL ribbon from eBay. You could stitch something like that around it.
Kag30273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #1386
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kag30273 View Post
I ordered some DCL ribbon from eBay. You could stitch something like that around it.
I'm concerned that it will look weird with just 2 of us and having 12 pockets. I was thinking about somehow folding it in half and attaching the bottom to the back of the top, but that might look weird too.

I think I'm just going to have to break down and buy something.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #1387
Kag30273
Mouseketeer

My FE

Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #1388
Mythicalbee
Swiss Family Robinson

Quote:

LOVE the idea of reusing what you have, for me it brings out my creative vibe! It's hard to see the material, but just guessing on the fabric this is what I would do:

You can cut it (I'd cut to 4, 2 might look 'too' small) and leave as much as you can fabric-wise on the cut end.

Buy some cute disney fabric - not fleece - cotton fabric. Buy 1/4 yard. Measure the width of your hanging thing, and turn in every side 1" and steam press. It should have a finished edge and be the width of the hanging thing. Make the piece as long as one of your pockets (looks about 6"?)

Use something called stitch witch, and on the folded edges, press it with your iron to keep the edges from falling open.

Buy iron on letters, and 'write' your name on this flap, then use the stitch witch to 'adhere' to the bag, or use fabric glue.

Fill the bottom clear pockets with sand, sanddollars, etc. and seal with fabric glue.

For your pockets, get high quality prints done of anything Disney, and use a glue stick - glue the front of the picture and press against clear pocket.

Have fun, hope this helps!

PS Sorry, looked again and it seems the pockets are fabric/nylon. You can still do the high quality pictures, and 'craft' sew them using a big needle and yarn. Gives it a scrapbook kind of look

Last edited by Mythicalbee; 05-07-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: adding info...
Mythicalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #1389
Mythicalbee
Swiss Family Robinson

Where did you ever...

Quote:
Find Disney Cruise material?!?!? Love it!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #1390
Kag30273
Mouseketeer

eBay is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythicalbee View Post
Find Disney Cruise material?!?!? Love it!!!
It's actually ribbon! I ordered it from eBay. Just search Disney ribbon. The bag is a simple nylon drawstring bag...cut the front down for a pocket and sewed on the ribbon. I'm also using the ribbon to cover foam frames for my FE gifts!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #1391
uncw89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post
I wish I was creative like most of you and could sew....but I went ahead and went on eBay and i GOT Mine!

It's a Pooh design!

Now I just have to plan for the 28 people on our DIS meet who are doing this with me on our cruise.

Appreciate the responses about doing one per cruise or one per day.

With so many of us I really need to think this one thru....

thanks everyone for sharing!
Does it look like this? I got mine off ebay a few years ago! I love it!

Quote:
It's actually ribbon! I ordered it from eBay. Just search Disney ribbon. The bag is a simple nylon drawstring bag...cut the front down for a pocket and sewed on the ribbon. I'm also using the ribbon to cover foam frames for my FE gifts!
I was wondering the same thing!! I think I will go check it out!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #1392
CodyBoy
A girl crazy for Disney!

Quote:
how wide is this?? i have a cute disney drawstring bag, but it's 14" wide and they say i only need 8".

if you get a chance to measure will you let me know?

I LOVE THE IDEA and i am not a sewing person!

thanks!!
CodyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #1393
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I thought I had posted a pic of ours when I finished it, but looking back, I didn't.

I can't wait to use it again!! It was so much fun to make (and take!!!) that there may be more coming. We are doing Halloween this year and right before Christmas next year!

Very cute!!! Where did you buy the wooden Mickey head dowel ends? Thanks!

A True Disney Girl! This is the year of the Premier Annual Pass!
DLR lover starting in utero. DLR AP from 3 (I remember the big deal it was for me to finally be old enough to get my picture taken for that!) to 9. WDW AP off and on since age 15 (currently a Premier passholder!)
Disney Resorts I've stayed at over the years: Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Hilton Head Island,The Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village The Villas at the Grand Californian

Disney Fantasy Eastern 6/2012, Disney Wonder WBPC 5/2013
Jessica_of_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #1394
Piper
DIS Veteran

Here is what I made for my sister and I. Fish extender and lanyards. I will be adding the plastic sleeves to the lanyards. The names are on double tagboard. I'll get them laminated and attach a pin to the back. Then they can just be pinned to the pockets. The ribbon has Minnie dot bows and yellow daisy flowers. The pockets have a pleat down the middle. Although the FE is only 8" wide, the pockets have 12" of material. I hope that will give enough room.

I also got my sister a pair of Minnie earrings to wear and me a pair of Daisy earrings!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #1395
AlisonUK
Mouseketeer

Loving all of these!

I was totally inspired by this thread and had a go. I can't use a sewing machine so it's all hand-sewn - I just wasn't convinced that glue would work! It's my DS's design and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

AlisonUK is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: