Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #1171
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, Joanns
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderfam View Post
I get the bulk of my Disney fabric at Walmart. I would also check e-bay and Joann fabrics.
Hope this helps!
I tried Joanns today. Nothing. I'll have to take a look at the other places. Thanks. I wish someone would sell a pattern.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #1172
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
I get the bulk of my Disney fabric at Walmart. I would also check e-bay and Joann fabrics.
Hope this helps!
Our Walmarts no longer sell fabric. I don't like Walmart but now that they don't sell it, Hobby Lobby is my only choice here and their selection of Disney is very limited. I have to drive 30 minutes to go to Joanns or Hancocks.

Disneyland Aug/03
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt Western w/my honey
Disneyland Paris Sept/13 w/my honey; Mar/14

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #1173
elderfam
There is no such thing as too many Disney trips!

Quote:

Home made using Iron on transfer paper that prints on our home ink jet printer.
You need 1/4 yard of fabric, iron interfacing, wide double fold bias tape, and a 3/8" dowel 8" long.

Pockets are 11" X 5 1/2"
Back is 32" X 8"

Cut out backing and pockets then iron on interfacing.
Sew bias tape on top of pocket
pleat once on each side and pin bottom of pocket so that it is 8" wide.
baste, then pin bias tape on bottom and sew on
Pin pockets on backing and sew bottom of pocket to backing
Pin and baste around entire outside of project.
Pin then sew bias tape around outside edge of whole fish extender
fold top over leaving room for you dowel at top and sew along the inside of bias tape down each side to secure.

I am not a professional! These are just my notes on how I made mine. Good luck!

Kudos to CQUICK for passing on the instructions to me! This is such a fun project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookite View Post
whew! only took me a wk but i've finally read all 77 pages of this thread! it only took to pg 75 to finally find someone from our mar 20 2011 cruise, lol! hi toescat!

i am helping coordinate our FE exchg and this thread has been so valuable, i've kept lots of "notes" lol! i may have to give every night of the cruise tho b/c even at 8 mos, 2 wks and ? days away (from toescat's ticker, lol!) i'm already shopping and keep coming up w/ more ideas that i "have" to do, lol!

so some q's about my personal FE...
i have been shopping to find fabric and just want to clarify what kind is best for durability. i can get flannel or cotton in the print i want but flannel wasn't on sale so didn't get either til i knew what was best.

for those that look "typical" i'm getting that i need something to make the pockets stiffer (can't think of what it's called) is there a variety of options for levels of rigidity? if so do i want the stiffest one?

also for the main part do i put this same stuff on the back of the fabric? i saw one poster mentioned putting batting between the layers. what has worked best for those of you who are experienced FE makers?

tia!!
Bookite,

I have had a lot of success using Iron on Interfacing. I buy it by the yard at Walmart or any local fabric store. Super easy to use! Cut it just a tad bit smaller than your pocket, iron it on the back side of your fabric and your done! My first FE is still the one I use and it has held up great!

Hope this helps,
Cynthia

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

elderfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #1174
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

I just finished making my FE, using the No-Sew instructions. I was challenged by the instructions, almost gave up, but persevered and I am so pleased with the result!

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #1175
living20057
DIS Veteran

I finally finished making my FE, thanks to post #27. This was my first sewing project. I already know when I make the next for our cruise, what I would do differently. One of my problems was that I don't figure out how to pleat until 2nd out 4th pocket, but that's okay I tried my best. I will post a picture.
living20057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #1176
CruisinEars
Engaged at WDW 8/23/95!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BealsRwe View Post
Just beautiful! My mom just passed away, and I never learned how to sew from her. She made all of my formals for high school, dresses and fancy pillowcases for my daughter. Now I must take a class to learn how to sew as she gifted me her sewing machines...a regular machine, and an embroidery one. Time for me to find a pattern and try to make fun things like fish extenders to share with other DIS members on a future cruise (not enough time for me to do anything before our Aug 3, 2010 one.

Thanks for sharing the ones you have made...I am sure anyone that gets one is very appreciative!
I am very sorry for the loss of your mom. It was nice of her to leave her machines for you. I do have a suggestion. Check out the family forum and the disboutiquer thread. They will have you itching to sew and use the embroidery machine. Also check out youcanmakethis.com for patterns and sewing instruction short videos. It can become addicting too.

Number of Trips:
WDW=7
DL=7
DCL=1
CruisinEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #1177
P.Leilani
DCL- IS THE BEE'S KNEES

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100acrewooddoc View Post
the ice cream cones were invitations the girls received for a meet and great ice cream social for girls their ages. It was a cute idea to make them as magnets and put them on the doors of the girls invited.
Love the idea of an Ice cream social for the kids, can you share a few details about it.
When was it during the curise
Where
Was it a pre planned like the adult meets

thanks, sound like fun and would love to do one with my ship mates and FE group
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #1178
jenvin
Mouseketeer

The last time I did any sewing was in grade 9 in home ec class - LOL!

I would have loved to make our own! I ended up buying one on ebay, it's not a custom made one, just a mickey wall hanger organizer, but it was $8 USD and FREE shipping anywhere! So I got it shipped to Canada for free (we're in Vancouver, BC)! I'll see if I can iron on or sew on our names to personalize it a bit.

I have a question about the pictures of people's room doors - do you bring your own decorations? Are they all magnetic? And - one picture had a whiteboard on it - did they put that up?

My packing list is getting longer!

Jen
jenvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #1179
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinEars View Post
I am very sorry for the loss of your mom. It was nice of her to leave her machines for you. I do have a suggestion. Check out the family forum and the disboutiquer thread. They will have you itching to sew and use the embroidery machine. Also check out youcanmakethis.com for patterns and sewing instruction short videos. It can become addicting too.
Thanks so much for your comments. I am hoping to get Dad through his battle with Lymphoma with great health on the other side so I can take the time to clean our my craft room (lovingly called the crap room by DH), and get the machines her to start playing. :-)

3 Platinum DCL Cruisers!
19 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #1180
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvin View Post
The last time I did any sewing was in grade 9 in home ec class - LOL!

I would have loved to make our own! I ended up buying one on ebay, it's not a custom made one, just a mickey wall hanger organizer, but it was $8 USD and FREE shipping anywhere! So I got it shipped to Canada for free (we're in Vancouver, BC)! I'll see if I can iron on or sew on our names to personalize it a bit.

I have a question about the pictures of people's room doors - do you bring your own decorations? Are they all magnetic? And - one picture had a whiteboard on it - did they put that up?

My packing list is getting longer!

Jen
We add magnets to everything...magnets, whiteboard, even foam holiday decorations on our December 2009 cruise. If you forget magnets Guest Services can help with some. Magnets won't cause damange to the doors. Have fun...it's addicting! We love to decorate our door!

3 Platinum DCL Cruisers!
19 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #1181
huey578
Test Track Dummy

Getting ready to make my fish extender. What is a good length? Is there an avereage lenght? I don't want it touching all the way to floor. TIA

WDW Commando Member #201
huey578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1182
living20057
DIS Veteran

This thread helped me make my fish extender. It's not prefect but it did the job.

----------
2002 - Off site
2009 - All Star
2010 - BLT, AKV, DCL
2011 - Disneyland Paris, AKV
2012 - Hilton Head, Aulani, Wilderness Lodge, MNSSHP, Vero
2013 - Hilton Head, SSR, OKW, AKV
2014 - Grand Californian, Aulani, Boardwalk Villas
living20057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #1183
adventure_woman
DIS Veteran

I'm so lucky - my mom sews and she is going to make us one! She has made a LOT of them...so now the problem is figuring out what fabric/patches/etc. that I want (and my family wants!!). I'm halfway tempted to bring several....so that way I don't have to eliminate options!

WDW
LOTS of trips before!
CP CM - Summer 1999
FT CM - May 2000-Dec 2001 (AKL, BC, Poly)
ASMo 11/03 ASMo 11/06 AS Sp/Mo 8/08 ASMo 1/9 ASMu 8/09 ASMu 8/11 ASMu 1/13

DL/DCA
CM - Dec 2000-Feb 2001 (Grand Opening of DCA)
Off-site 12/05

DCL
Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/29/11
adventure_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #1184
hollybearsmom
Please send my fairy godmother home, pronto!

Quote:
I don't have a fancy sewing machine, just a
Singer "Simple". I love to make them just for fun and usually give them away to Disboard familys that are on our ship.

Here are a few of my newest batch....

Cynthia
these are super! and I can't blieve you give them away, how very thoughtful
hollybearsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #1185
figmentnnemo
DVC: Saratoga Springs & BLT

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
I got mine from ETSY seller Stitches N' Bows

She custom makes them to your liking; colors, embroidery right down to the trim. She is truely awesome.

I just ordered mine! I can't wait to see it when it comes!

Past but not forgotten
RCI Nordic Empress - July 94 (Bahamas), RCI Nordic Empress- January 95 (Bahamas), Carnival Destiny - June 98 (W.C.), RCI Grandeur of the Seas - May 99 (E.C), Carnival Glory - September 03 (W.C), NCL Dawn - September 04 (Bahamas), RCI Grandeur of the Seas - May 05 (W.C), RCI Voyager of the Seas -September 05 (W.C.), Dawn Princess- July 06 (Alaska), RCI Grandeur of the Seas - September 07 (Bermuda), Disney Magic-January 08 (E.C) ,Disney Wonder- September 08 (DVC Member Cruise), Disney Magic- October 30, 2010(W.C), Disney Wonder- May 3, 2011 (Alaska), Disney Magic- December 30, 2011 (E.C),Disney Fantasy- December 15, 2012 (W.C)
figmentnnemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: