Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #706
SpeedFigure
Mouseketeer

I googled 'Mickey Mouse glove" and found a picture, enlarged it and printed it out. Then I traced it out on felt and glued it together.

Disney Dream Job Winner 2007 - Princess In Waiting

Disneyland- 04/87, 06/91, 05/00, 04/01, 03/02, 05/04, 11/05, 05/06, 02/07, 06/07, 12/07, 04/08, 01/09, 9/09, 10/10, 3/11, 5/11, 9/11, 6/12, 9/12, 3/13
Walt Disney World- 11/94, 11/02, 03/05
Disney Cruise Line- 11/01, 11/02, 10/03, 05/09, 05/12

SpeedFigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #707
TravelinGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltymom View Post
You could always do something fun like snap- or button-on pockets. You can have them attach at the bottom of one and the top of the other, overlapping a bit. Or even have them tie together, using buttonholes and ribbons threaded between the two. That way you can have as few or as many pockets as you like.

Does this make sense, or have I just confused the heck out of you?
Well that is 'tickling' my brain a bit... now to figure out how to incorporate the buttons into the design so it doesn't look messy. (I think the ribbons would be too messy/busy/cluttered {pick your favorite word there} for my taste, but could be very cute if done right)

Thanks for the idea!

TravelinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #708
ppiew
DIS Veteran

How wide can the FE's be without interfering with the door?
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #709
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

8-9 inches wide

the wall is about inches wide and at 9 inches it would have a small over hang but would not interfere with the door.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #710
aznaphrodite
Forever a Disney Princess

I'm worried about someone stealing my FE. The wooden stick can move freely from side-to-side since the ribbon is just tied to it. The ribbons can also be untied. I've heard of people using zip-ties to secure the FE but that won't help if someone can just untie it or slip it off the ribbon. What are you guys doing to secure it?

Should I hot-glue the ribbons on to the stick? I'm a little worried that I won't allocate enough ribbon for it to easily slip over the fish.

Thanks in advance!
aznaphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #711
bevtoy
bevs_toy

No matter what you do if someone wants to steal it they will. That being said since it is personalized the odds of someone else wanting to steal it are minimized.
We had cruise magnets and gifts delivered to our fish extender and I don't think we ever had any thing taken. I guess you just have to hope for the best. Your fish extender is very pretty and looks like a lot of TLC went into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite View Post

I'm worried about someone stealing my FE. The wooden stick can move freely from side-to-side since the ribbon is just tied to it. The ribbons can also be untied. I've heard of people using zip-ties to secure the FE but that won't help if someone can just untie it or slip it off the ribbon. What are you guys doing to secure it?

Should I hot-glue the ribbons on to the stick? I'm a little worried that I won't allocate enough ribbon for it to easily slip over the fish.

Thanks in advance!
October 1998 Disney World
7 Night Eastern Magic, October 13-20, 2007
7 Night Western Magic December 12-19, 2009
bevtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #712
elderfam
There is no such thing as too many Disney trips!

I drilled small holes in the end of the dowel and threaded the ribbon thru it. If it has a good knot, it's not going anywhere. Your FE is beautiful!

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

elderfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #713
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

unfortunately if they want to be jerks they can cut it and take it - even if you use chain they can cut the fabric and take it.

if someone's going to be an a then they will be. if they do just think how pitiful they are and how insecure they are that they have to attempt to ruin someone elses vacation.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #714
Prose
DIS Veteran

I am totally lacking the "crafty gene", so I had to find a way to make a FE without major skills or sewing a stitch. I am kinda proud of myself....I used a hanging holder from the dollar section at Target, folded it in half and hot glued to make a single row of pockets, then printed out characters on sticky-backed fabric sheets and stuck them on the clear pockets. I folded over the top to make a spot for the dowel, secured it with the hot glue then hot glued the dowel in place, and glued the ribbon tie on the dowel. My only concern is that the dowel is a bit longer than 9"...will it stick out too far?

Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #715
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

that's really cute!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #716
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Very nice Pam.........
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #717
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevtoy View Post
No matter what you do if someone wants to steal it they will. That being said since it is personalized the odds of someone else wanting to steal it are minimized.
We had cruise magnets and gifts delivered to our fish extender and I don't think we ever had any thing taken. I guess you just have to hope for the best. Your fish extender is very pretty and looks like a lot of TLC went into it!
We're also planning on drilling holes through the dowel, and I bought dowel caps to glue on the ends for more security.

I love the colors in yours.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #718
Lemonbee
Disney World Pro

My cruise is so far out I have no idea if anyone will be participating. My husband saw what I was looking at and though it was a great idea. If you knew him this would make you laugh b/c he is not a Disney freak like me. I found someone on another site that sells them and got some neat ideas. I am going to have a family friend make one for us. If someone steals it oh well life is too short to worry about things like this.

Jen mom to Colby Tyler & Lyla Reese (the most Disney spoiled children in the world)!!!
Lemonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #719
TravelinGal
DIS Veteran

Someone stealing the FE is kind of along the lines of not getting towel animals... one shouldn't let it ruin their trip, but it does suck. (actually, I'd have to say it's still worse - not getting towel animals doesn't mean someone is actually stealing from you!)

I'm going to do what I can to keep my FE in place. I wonder if there is a higher risk of them walking off on the longer cruises (more oportunity) or if the ratio would be about the same. (we're just doing a 4 nt cruise) I'd be pretty P.O.'d if someone stole it after all the time I spent on it (will spend on it...)

TravelinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #720
Waltworshiper
DIS Veteran

I think most of the ones stolen are what the teenagers think are practical jokes. Luckily I was in my cabin and heard them outside, but they took mine off (Yes it was zip tied, they slid it down and were able to get the ribbon over the fish) and rehung it on someone elses door down the hallway. I saw them and asked where they put it, one showed me, then I told them they better run before I found someone from the ship, They did! I know it's only material, but my kids would have been heartbroken. I had a lot of magnets on the door, and no one bothered them the whole trip. There were 3 12-14yo boys in the group that took mine, I would never have recognized any of them again, but I imagine they cringed every time they saw me the rest of the cruise!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: