Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #511
MermaidsMom
Do you live trap squirrels with creamy or crunchy peanut butter? Jiffy or Peter Pan?

Hello everyone! We just signed up for this cruise yesterday! It is our first cruise and I really want to get all the info we will need. I'll start with reading this thread first, but how do I sign up for the cruise meet? Or order the fish extenders? I hope it's OK for me to ask this....with the last minute reservation I am freaking out about getting everything done! Thanks for any help you all can give! It's just DH and me, our kids are grown up and it's our anniversary trip.
MermaidsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #512
mommylovesdisneymore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidsMom View Post
Hello everyone! We just signed up for this cruise yesterday! It is our first cruise and I really want to get all the info we will need. I'll start with reading this thread first, but how do I sign up for the cruise meet? Or order the fish extenders? I hope it's OK for me to ask this....with the last minute reservation I am freaking out about getting everything done! Thanks for any help you all can give! It's just DH and me, our kids are grown up and it's our anniversary trip.
When is your trip? You go on the cruise meet board and look up your cruise dates
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #513
dato63
DIS Veteran

What is a zip line? I read some posts that suggest attaching the fish extender with a zip line to prevent it from "wandering off". When I google zip line, I get the large lines people slide down trees from. So am lost as to what I should be looking for.

Thank you for any insight!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #514
Patricia1
Love everything Disney!

zip ties

Hi there,
They're zip ties, not zip lines .. the little plastic zip ties
Patricia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #515
eeyoresmountainpals
Volunteer Firefighter and Mom Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dato63 View Post
What is a zip line? I read some posts that suggest attaching the fish extender with a zip line to prevent it from "wandering off". When I google zip line, I get the large lines people slide down trees from. So am lost as to what I should be looking for.

Thank you for any insight!
I think you're looking for a "zip tie" not a "zip line." A zip tie is a little piece of plastic that you circle around or through something and then put it through a hole on the end of itself and it locks. They're also called cable ties.

I posted the same question a few weeks back and someone was nice enough to let me know.

I got some at Walmart before our cruise on the 16th (which by the way was WONDERFUL!) They're very inexpensive. I think there were 18 or 20 in the pack for less than $2. They were in the automotive section.

I ended up not using one on our fish extender. No one bothered it, except that we did "lose" the letter R on it! Go figure. It was no where to be found on it, in the pockets of the FE or on the floor. Luckily I brought some extra letters with me just in case and it was easily fixed.

I did, however, find that the zip ties were perfect for locking our luggage!

Here's a pic of one....

Contemporary 10/87,
Off-Site 4/88, Polynesian LVC 10/93, 10/95, 5/96, 4/97, 10/04, 10/05
Disney Cruise 10/08, 11/09
Hoping for an October 2011 to the POLY!!!
eeyoresmountainpals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #516
dato63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1 View Post
Hi there,
They're zip ties, not zip lines .. the little plastic zip ties
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmountainpals View Post
I think you're looking for a "zip tie" not a "zip line." A zip tie is a little piece of plastic that you circle around or through something and then put it through a hole on the end of itself and it locks. They're also called cable ties.

I posted the same question a few weeks back and someone was nice enough to let me know.

I got some at Walmart before our cruise on the 16th (which by the way was WONDERFUL!) They're very inexpensive. I think there were 18 or 20 in the pack for less than $2. They were in the automotive section.

I ended up not using one on our fish extender. No one bothered it, except that we did "lose" the letter R on it! Go figure. It was no where to be found on it, in the pockets of the FE or on the floor. Luckily I brought some extra letters with me just in case and it was easily fixed.

I did, however, find that the zip ties were perfect for locking our luggage!

Here's a pic of one....

Thanks ya'll! That makes much more sense! We are looking at our first cruise (2010) and so much to learn! Thank goodness it's so far away.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #517
eeyoresmountainpals
Volunteer Firefighter and Mom Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dato63 View Post
Thanks ya'll! That makes much more sense! We are looking at our first cruise (2010) and so much to learn! Thank goodness it's so far away.
It will all fall into place for you! We didn't book until 9/21 for our cruise on 10/16 and even though we didn't have much time everything went great!

Contemporary 10/87,
Off-Site 4/88, Polynesian LVC 10/93, 10/95, 5/96, 4/97, 10/04, 10/05
Disney Cruise 10/08, 11/09
Hoping for an October 2011 to the POLY!!!
eeyoresmountainpals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #518
mayraguma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Everyone, be SURE to use the zip ties to secure your FE.

We had an attempted fish-napping! We came out one morning to find our FE had been ripped from the fish, but was saved by the zip tie. The FE was dangling from the tie, completely removed from the fish.

Save the FE's! Buy a zip tie!!!!

BTW, here is a pic of ours. It was a collaboration from two of my Dis friends. You may have seen other examples of their work around...

Where did you find these awesome MICKEY embroidered things.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #519
tinkerbellmom1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Everyone, be SURE to use the zip ties to secure your FE.

We had an attempted fish-napping! We came out one morning to find our FE had been ripped from the fish, but was saved by the zip tie. The FE was dangling from the tie, completely removed from the fish.

Save the FE's! Buy a zip tie!!!!

BTW, here is a pic of ours. It was a collaboration from two of my Dis friends. You may have seen other examples of their work around...

I love your FE! I think I saw the seller on e-bay who makes them like that! Can you clue me in on how the zip-tie holds it on? I don't want to spend $30.00 on it and have it taken! Thanks!

tinkerbellmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #520
SunnyBunny08
Earning My Ears

I found a "fish extender" on Ebay

I did a search on ebay using the search term: mickey mouse pockets

I found one that might work.

SunnyBunny08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #521
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayraguma View Post
Where did you find these awesome MICKEY embroidered things.
They are made by a DIS-er friend of mine who I have had the pleasure of cruising with twice. She is a doll, and extremely talented to boot.
Her name is Tiffany, she is Luvtheears on the Dis and Gradysmommy on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellmom1 View Post
I love your FE! I think I saw the seller on e-bay who makes them like that! Can you clue me in on how the zip-tie holds it on? I don't want to spend $30.00 on it and have it taken! Thanks!
Yes, that is probably Tiffany's great work you have seen!

With the zip tie, we threaded the it through the string that hangs the FE and then around the base of the fish, securing it there. Be sure not to pull the tie too tight when securing it , or else you will have a lot of trouble cutting it off in the end. We left about 2" slack. Also, if the FE you buy doesn't have it, make sure you use a little bit of hot glue or super glue where the string it hangs from or connects to the dowel, as if it is unglued, a good yank by someone walking by will detach the string at the dowel, making the zip tie useless.

Hope that helps!!
Have a wonderful cruise!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 10-28-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: type-O
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #522
Sinderelli
DIS Veteran

I didn't realize Tiffany was on the DIS- I just bought a FE from her on ebay, also!!! I can't wait to get it

Our Trips to Disney:
November 2003- Our 1st family trip- DS4 & DD8 mo. Stayed @ All Star Sports
September 2005- Our surprise "Hurricane Katrina" evacuation trip- DS6 DD2 Stayed @ All Star Movies & Pop Century
February 2006- My Dkids' surprise trip- Stayed @ Caribbean Beach
February 2007- 8 nights at the Grand Floridian!!!
February 2008- Pop century
November 2008- Our 10th Anniversary Disney "Double Dip" cruise- with the kids, of course!
Sinderelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #523
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Oh and one more tip, if you make your own FE, make sure to use hot glue or superglue to secure the sring you hand it with to the bar the FE hangs from, if the string is just tied to the bar someone could easily untie it.
I never would've thought of that! Thanks for the great tip. We leave in just under 12 months for our cruise, so I need to start doing something every week so I'll be ready on time!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #524
iu97alum
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done a FE for one person? My MIL is going to go with us but sh'ell have her own room so I'm debating to have her own FE made or just add her onto ours? Ideas? Any pictures of a one person FE?

Me DH DD5 DD3
1/08 VWL
1/09 DCL Wonder

iu97alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #525
disneyfreak1
Willing to tag for tickets

I think if she has her own room, she might enjoy having her own FE. Keep in mind it doesn't have to be an "official" FE. I have seen photos of totes, gift bags, Christmas stockings, etc.
NCL Seaward 04/92
Disney Magic 03/17/01, 3/22/03, 3/28/09
Disney Wonder 07/21/05, 12/10/09
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 03/30/08
Carnival Sensation 09/18/08, 7/23/09
Disney Dream 3/24/11
Carnival Fascination 6/6/13 (50th Birthday Cruise)
disneyfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: