Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #391
binky1
DIS Veteran

You did a TERRIFIC job!!!
10/1998 Disneyland, California - Before Kids, 04/2005 Disney & POFQ - 1DD & 1 on the way, 01/27/07 7 Day Western - Totally Wicked!!, Christmas Break 2007 - Disney & Off-site with the whole famn damily!!, 11/14/09 - 7 Day Double Dip
binky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #392
LindseyLou2222
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeys#1Fan4ever View Post
We leave for our cruise in 1 week and are very excited to be participating in the FE Exchange, but was very unsure of how I was going to get one.....little stressful decision. I decided I'd just make my own.....can't sew at all so wasn't quite for sure how it was going to work but after a couple of hours at Michaels and 6 hours or so of using fabric glue this is what I came up with.....
[IMG][/IMG]

Hopefully the picture comes through....I have trouble posting pictures sometimes

Just thought I'd share.....if I can make one.....anyone can
Looks great! You did a fantatic job!!

LindseyLou2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #393
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
We leave for our cruise in 1 week and are very excited to be participating in the FE Exchange, but was very unsure of how I was going to get one.....little stressful decision. I decided I'd just make my own.....can't sew at all so wasn't quite for sure how it was going to work but after a couple of hours at Michaels and 6 hours or so of using fabric glue this is what I came up with.....

Just thought I'd share.....if I can make one.....anyone can
How did you do the embellishments? Are they stickers? Iron-ons? I would love any info you have to share..I have a lovely FE that I need to embellish and personalize and not a clue as to what to do...

Thanks!!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #394
Mickeys#1Fan4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
How did you do the embellishments? Are they stickers? Iron-ons? I would love any info you have to share..I have a lovely FE that I need to embellish and personalize and not a clue as to what to do...

Thanks!!!
Believe it or not all of it is scrapbooking stuff. I've never been a scrapbooking person, but I went to Michaels and they had tons of Disney stuff to choose from. All of the stuff had sticky on the back and it seemed like it was going to stay, but I glued everything down with fabic glue to just be sure. It was like scrapbooking without the pictures Even the letters I found in the scrapbooking dept at Target.
Mickeys#1Fan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #395
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLEKID58 View Post
It came out really nice... please join us on the meets board...We are a very friendly bunch of folks
I ditto this! You'd really like us....I promise!!!
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #396
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Believe it or not all of it is scrapbooking stuff. I've never been a scrapbooking person, but I went to Michaels and they had tons of Disney stuff to choose from. All of the stuff had sticky on the back and it seemed like it was going to stay, but I glued everything down with fabic glue to just be sure. It was like scrapbooking without the pictures Even the letters I found in the scrapbooking dept at Target.

Thanks!!! It looks great, btw!!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #397
Mickeys#1Fan4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Thanks!!! It looks great, btw!!!
Thanks...it was actually fun to make.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #398
Maggie62677
'What if the hokey-pokey is what it's all about...?'

What type of cloth materials are most of you using to make your FE's? I'm trying to make ours and I'm not sure what's going to hold all those goodies...canvas/felt/cardboard behind material...???

Maggie62677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #399
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Where are you all getting the Mickey rods? I need to make ours in early August so I was starting to read through this thread - you all have some creative ideas and adorable fish extenders.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #400
Mickeys#1Fan4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Where are you all getting the Mickey rods? I need to make ours in early August so I was starting to read through this thread - you all have some creative ideas and adorable fish extenders.
I actually used a wooden rod (from Michaels) cut it off to the length I wanted and then I had someone to pick me up two black Mickey Antenna toppers and put on the end of each rod. My husband had to make the antenna topper holes larger, but it worked. Then we painted the stick and the antenna toppers black. The toppers of course were already black, but it had Walt Disney World in white....so we just painted the whole topper.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #401
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!

Thank you Dawn for making me the most beautiful fish extender EVER!!!!!
I love how the pixie dust forms into a hidden mickey and yes the lavender looks beautiful! It was wrapped so pretty too! Super Duper Job

drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #402
mickeyluv
DIS Veteran

I want to keep this thread going as I am in the beginning stages of making a FE! My only problem is I don't know where to begin. I have found the mickey fabric at Hancocks but I don't know how much to buy of it. Is there like a "recipe" so to speak, somewhere that tells you what you need (like ingredients in a recipe when cooking) and directions on how to make a FE somewhere? I really want to try to do this on my own versus just buying one. It would make our cruise in Nov. that much more special...coming back to our stateroom and seeing "our" FE hanging there...the one "I" made. Can anyone help me???
Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #403
lawmom3
Earning My Ears

Mickey heads on rods???

This is a great thread! Can anyone tell me where to get the Mickey heads for the ends of the rods at the tops of these?
lawmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #404
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie62677 View Post
What type of cloth materials are most of you using to make your FE's? I'm trying to make ours and I'm not sure what's going to hold all those goodies...canvas/felt/cardboard behind material...???

I use Twill for the extender itself and cotton print for the pockets. THe twill has body so it doesn't lose shape or look wrinkled. I have used interfacing on the pockets to give them some body as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom3 View Post
This is a great thread! Can anyone tell me where to get the Mickey heads for the ends of the rods at the tops of these?
Antenna toppers.

I guess I didn't get the other question quoted but 1/4 yard of fabric is all you need because the width of that wall is less than 9 inches (I forgot the exact measurement) and once you sew the seam allowance it fits perfectly. 1/4 - 1/3 yard of a different fabric to make the other pockets (lesser amount makes flat pockets, larger amounts allow for pleating the pockets) and then all you need is a dowel rod and embelleshments and you are done. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want.

HTH
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #405
Buckeye Gal
Beach Girl Deep in the Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom3 View Post
An alternative is to put a round wooden ball on the end, which you can purchase where you find the dowel rods in the crafts stores. Then, if you have the tools, slice two slits and insert 2 small wooden disks, which would be the ears. I personally would paint the wood then, as well.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: