Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #1936
missmissy317
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimum View Post
Thanks for the link for her...love the extenders and the wave holders!

Here is another shop that makes fish extenders and wave holders. I love that the pockets can be changed on the extenders!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PixieDustedStitches

Last edited by missmissy317; 05-12-2013 at 09:23 AM.
missmissy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #1937
Calimum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmissy317 View Post
Here is another shop that makes fish extenders and wave holders. I love that the pockets can be changed on the extenders!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PixieDustedStitches

Oh that is a really clever idea!! I love that they can all be different too.
Calimum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #1938
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Here's a picture of my FE when it was still being made. I wanted to make mine a bit differently then those I've seen online.

It's about 8 inches across.

I purchased black velour (like a mickey mouse plush) for the body of the FE and made a long rectangle sock using hot glue to seal the sides and bottom, and used felt to reinforce it at the bottom. Afterwards, i turned the sock inside out, and cut two horizontal slits for pockets on one side, and lined the inside of the opening slit using felt and attached it all using hot glue. (I left about 1/2" on each side of the velour uncut.) There is a small lip of the fabric which I turned over the flap and glued to the outside.

I also purchased red felt with white polkadots, yellow felt, black felt, white felt. I found pictures online of mickey's shoes and shorts and minnie's shoes and traced them/ cut them out using felt. (trace the reverse side to avoid trace marks from showing up.) I pleated the dress first, folding evenly to give the apperance of pleats. I used small amounts of hot glue to keep the pleats stiff. To cover the edgs, I cut a small 'belt' of marerial to hide the top edge. I should have made it wider and folded it over to cover the top of the pleats, but that is the perfectionist in me talking.

I also used small rectangle pieces of fabric to make a bow, just put a small dab of glue in the center of a felt rectagle and press together

Last but not least: I bought sticker letters and the cruise words from Michael's in their scrapbooking/sticker section. They had quite a collection!

The picture shown is with the bottom pocket cut out, and it goes to the bottom of the velour. There is a pencil sticking out to give you an idea where the pocket opening is on Minnie's dress. Mickey's pants and shoes are not attached yet, but in the picture it shows where he will be. Minnie's shoes are not attached either. (they actually wound up closer to the dress.)

I know this is very different from most I've seen, and I kinda 'winged it'

This was all done using a hot glue gun - something I use for making some small cloth ornaments and ballerina bears in the past. I actually just finished it.

Now I have a question - is 8 inches too wide? The dowel adds about 3/4" inch past it. How thick of a Dowel do you suggest? I think the one I have might be too thin. How long should my string be?

Thanks!
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #1939
Bunchof0rz
Angie 0rz

Subbing! Love looking at all the ideas.

Bunchof0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #1940
Spencerfamily
Mouseketeer

Such great ideas everyone! Am starting mine this week so have a fair bit of reading to do to get ideas for this craft challenged individual! x
Spencerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #1941
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

[QUOTE=White Rose;48510866]Here's a picture of my FE when it was still being made. I wanted to make mine a bit differently then those I've seen online.

This is adorable! Very cute design!

You should be fine with the 8" width. Ours is about 10" and fit fine. I used about 2 feet of ribbon to hang ours from the fish. As for the dowel rod, I would think a 1/2" one would be plenty sturdy.

My only thought....I can't tell from the photo if your gift pockets expand. We've both received and given gifts that were 3" - 4" thick. We've also received several hand painted 8x8" photo frames, for example, that I'm not sure would fit in your pockets (again, not sure how wide or deep the pockets are.) If gifts don't fit, you'll find them probably on the floor by your cabin door.

Have a great time with the FE!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #1942
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post

This is adorable! Very cute design!

You should be fine with the 8" width. Ours is about 10" and fit fine. I used about 2 feet of ribbon to hang ours from the fish. As for the dowel rod, I would think a 1/2" one would be plenty sturdy.

My only thought....I can't tell from the photo if your gift pockets expand. We've both received and given gifts that were 3" - 4" thick. We've also received several hand painted 8x8" photo frames, for example, that I'm not sure would fit in your pockets (again, not sure how wide or deep the pockets are.) If gifts don't fit, you'll find them probably on the floor by your cabin door.

Have a great time with the FE!
It's like a giant tube (like a big sock or Xmas stocking) I should be able to fit a larger 8-9 inch item too. My pockets are deep, if you look at the picture and check out the pencil... that pocket actually goes down to the bottom where the shoes are. The top pocket is even deeper...the pockets are 7 inches wide. and at least 10 inches deep, the top one about 2" deeper...and should expand well because of the Velour material and the sock/tube shape...I hope!

I tried to put in some gifts I made and they are shaped 5" x 3", and I had no problems getting a few of them in it, so I am hoping I'm good! I never expected that some people would give such big sized items!! thanks for the warning just in case! I better keep an eye on it!

Thank you for the advice on the dowel - I thought mine was too thin - Hubby seems to thik it was too thick but it was really tiny and I would be afraid a young one could pull on it and it would crack.

That is a good check for me!!
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #1943
TinkerbellinNY6
Mouseketeer

What kind of gifts do people put in the fish extender? I am going on my first cruise in January and have no idea what kind of things people do for fe gifts
Our Disney Trips: Feb 2007-ASMu, Dec 2007-CSR, Dec/Jan 2009-2010-Pop, Poly, CSR, Aug 2010-BLT, Pop, May 2011-ASSp, CR, Dec 2011-Pop, Aug 2012-BC, POR, SSR, Oct 2012-Pop, Nov 2012-Pop, CSR, Dec 2012-Pop, AKL, Feb 2013-CBR, April 2013-YC, May 2013-POFQ, CR, ASMo Current CM
TinkerbellinNY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #1944
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

Different people will do different stuff.

Some people do candy. Some do themed gifts like pirate patches.

For my next cruise I'm getting silicon bands with the cruise info embossed on them.

Maybe some cheap refrigerator magnets from your home town....
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #1945
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellinNY6 View Post
What kind of gifts do people put in the fish extender? I am going on my first cruise in January and have no idea what kind of things people do for fe gifts
Disney themed (or themed to your home area): magnets, postcards, candy, embossed pens, highlighters, bookmarks, keychains. We enjoy all of these plus the handpainted photo frames, embroidered tote bags, and coffee cup cozies that we've received. Also hand-made Disney or hometown ornaments for holiday cruises.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #1946
mwins78
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="White Rose;48510866"]Here's a picture of my FE when it was still being made. I wanted to make mine a bit differently then those I've seen online.

It's about 8 inches across.

I purchased black velour (like a mickey mouse plush) for the body of the FE and made a long rectangle sock using hot glue to seal the sides and bottom, and used felt to reinforce it at the bottom. Afterwards, i turned the sock inside out, and cut two horizontal slits for pockets on one side, and lined the inside of the opening slit using felt and attached it all using hot glue. (I left about 1/2" on each side of the velour uncut.) There is a small lip of the fabric which I turned over the flap and glued to the outside.

I also purchased red felt with white polkadots, yellow felt, black felt, white felt. I found pictures online of mickey's shoes and shorts and minnie's shoes and traced them/ cut them out using felt. (trace the reverse side to avoid trace marks from showing up.) I pleated the dress first, folding evenly to give the apperance of pleats. I used small amounts of hot glue to keep the pleats stiff. To cover the edgs, I cut a small 'belt' of marerial to hide the top edge. I should have made it wider and folded it over to cover the top of the pleats, but that is the perfectionist in me talking.

I also used small rectangle pieces of fabric to make a bow, just put a small dab of glue in the center of a felt rectagle and press together

Last but not least: I bought sticker letters and the cruise words from Michael's in their scrapbooking/sticker section. They had quite a collection!

The picture shown is with the bottom pocket cut out, and it goes to the bottom of the velour. There is a pencil sticking out to give you an idea where the pocket opening is on Minnie's dress. Mickey's pants and shoes are not attached yet, but in the picture it shows where he will be. Minnie's shoes are not attached either. (they actually wound up closer to the dress.)

I know this is very different from most I've seen, and I kinda 'winged it'

This was all done using a hot glue gun - something I use for making some small cloth ornaments and ballerina bears in the past. I actually just finished it.

Now I have a question - is 8 inches too wide? The dowel adds about 3/4" inch past it. How thick of a Dowel do you suggest? I think the one I have might be too thin. How long should my string be?

Thanks![/QUOTE
So cute what a great idea and very different 😉

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
mwins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #1947
maggie_sam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellinNY6 View Post
Hello to a fellow New Yorker! Lots of other forums on the Dis about FE gifts and with pictures or instructions. Pinterest has a wealth of ideas and I will PM you-I have several FE and Disney themed boards. Lots of people who are crafty make gifts, everything from key fobs, autograph books, CDs, drink cups from the Dollar Store with Disney themed decorations, coasters, the list is really endless. Some make 'emergency" kits with bandaids, trial size tylenol, tissues, wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. Another popular are ice cream sundae kits, with sprinkles, gummies, all kinds of toppings to use at the soft serve station. Pirate themed items, hair bows, light sticks. Hope this gets you started.

DisneyWorld 1972, Disneyland 1973, Disneyland 1980, Fort Wilderness 1986, DisneyWorld 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2004, Disney Wonder October 2010, Contemporary & Saratoga Springs 2010, Disney Magic September 2012, Bay Lake Tower September 2013, Disney Dream September 2013, Boardwalk Villas May 2014
maggie_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #1948
AustralianJetsetter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellekcm View Post
In one FE thread someone posted a FE they bought at Ikea. I checked and it was available at Ikea here in Australia. Pretty reasonably priced too, if that helps.

Hi michellekcm,

Do you know whereabouts I would find them? Like what section they are in? I would love to checkbthem out as we have an Ikea about 20mins from home :-)

Cheers,
AJ
AustralianJetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #1949
dama2000
Mouseketeer

New to the whole fish extenders....do you have to give gifts to everyone who decides to participate during your cruise?
dama2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #1950
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dama2000 View Post
New to the whole fish extenders....do you have to give gifts to everyone who decides to participate during your cruise?
It depends on how your FE group is set up. On our last cruise, there was so much interest that it was decided to divide into two groups. In our group there were 16 staterooms (15 + us). Every was to give gifts to each stateroom in our group of 15. Whether they gave gifts to each person or each stateroom was up to each person.

HTH,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: