Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #1831
taximom00
Mouseketeer

sharing photos?

How can I share a picture of my FE and gifts? Would love to do this but don't have a photobucket account and can't seem to copy/paste the photos from my computer!

Thanks!
taximom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #1832
grahamgallagher
Mouseketeer

What do you put in them? We are from the UK, would anything related to the London Olympics work?
grahamgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #1833
Ashansen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maganspikes View Post
Does anyone no where the thread is to show what type of gifts people are getting in there FE. I need some ideas. I have ten months to get it together before we sail.
I have done lots of different things. Made bottlecap necklaces for kiddos, magnets (out of the bottlecaps), keychains (letter beads spelling out the name of the ship), journals, Mickey Mouse sticky note pads, koozies (ironed on a pic of the ship and the date of our cruise), temporary tattoos, stickers, pirate themed items (for pirate night, of course), stuffed animal (get very small one to the 2 year olds on our list).

Other things we've received: frame, journals, homemade medical kits (like bandaids, travel size rolaids, etc), misc packs (clothespins, safety pins, highlighters, random things you might need on the cruise), Disney themed calendars, book marks, candy from another country, Disney Pez, artwork (one family painted and framed a small picture of our ship), etc.

My kids loved doing this on the cruise! It was fun seeing what "treasures" were waiting for us whenever we returned to our rooms!

Ashley

Grand Floridan Dec 1997 for engagement
WDW: March 2003 (GF), December 2004 (GF), November 2005 (AKL), March 2007 (offsite), November 2009 (Poly), March 2011 (Swan), April 2012 (Swan), June 2013 (Swan)
DCA: October 2013 (Paradise Pier)
DCL: November 2005 (Wonder), November 2009 (Wonder), March 2011 (Wonder)
Ashansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #1834
taximom00
Mouseketeer

Our FE

Someone on another thread told me how to post a photo so here is our FE:

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...ram1999/fe.jpg

I used the no sew directions as suffieldhockeymom posted above.

However I did a few things wrong so figure I'd let you all know if you follow these no sew directions!

First off, as you notice, the pockets are huge! People probably wondered what we were expecting in the giant pockets!

However somehow while the directions said the pockets would be 6" when folded over, I missed the 'fold over' step!! Because of this, there is more yellow and less red/white polka dots (we were channeling Minnie!!) but I think you still get the idea!

Also, not sure if you can tell from the picture, but it is VERY stiff! The directions called for all sorts of iron on stuff....I asked the woman in Joanne's about iron on interfacing and she asked what I was making so I explained it to her and what it would be used for and she gave me what was obviously the heaviest, stiffest iron on interfacing available!

As I don't sew and have no clue about stuff in the sewing aisle, I just took what she gave me!!

Well, 2 days before our cruise, armed with all my supplies, iron and my daughter and mom (who traveled with us) supervising, we set out to make the FE!

The stiff interfacing was almost the death of me because while the fabric adhered easily, it was very hard getting the double fold bias tape to iron down over the heavy pleats of the pockets!!

I admit, we resorted to a stapler and glue gun but no one is the wiser and you can't tell by looking at the FE!

We used iron on patches and iron on letters for our names. Added a sparkly Mickey head to cover the dowel ends.

It was way harder than I anticipated but the fact is, we all had fun (at times) making it and the experience added to our overall cruise! My daughter was thrilled to hang it outside our door! So, I would do it again (though will likely use this FE next cruise!!)

Of course, we got a photo of everyone elses FE as we delivered and forgot to get a picture of ours hanging by our door!!

Now, off to try to post what we made to the gift thread!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #1835
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

This is our FE

We simply used Eva Foam Sheets (Craft Foam), hot glue, ribbon, and stickers...all from Michael's.

I wasnt aware there were instructions for making these. But our FE about 6" wide. We simply folded each sheet in half making pockets with the seams within. We hot glued the seams together, then ran this cute black ribbon with white polka dots through the back of each one of the three pockets.

Then decorated them...

Originally I was going to use clothing material and sew them together. But I ran out of time...DH thought of this (he LOVES his Gorilla blue and glue gun...lol)

We made sure to have our DS's heaviest books on them pressing flat over night.

It worked like a charm...we used it on Feb 2012 & plan to use it again in Feb 2013

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #1836
HopeSparkles
Earned My Ears in 1993

I have bought 3 amazing embroidered FEs from Graddysmommy on eBay. If I could figure out how to post photos I will. But she is competively priced, had free & quick shipping and does Magical work!

P.S. I am just a customer of hers offering free advice...

DVC: BLT 2008 then added SSR 2011

HopeSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #1837
MickeyMaz
Always Remember the Magic

I changed the url tags to img to make the picture show up. Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximom00 View Post
Someone on another thread told me how to post a photo so here is our FE:

I used the no sew directions as suffieldhockeymom posted above.

However I did a few things wrong so figure I'd let you all know if you follow these no sew directions!

First off, as you notice, the pockets are huge! People probably wondered what we were expecting in the giant pockets!

However somehow while the directions said the pockets would be 6" when folded over, I missed the 'fold over' step!! Because of this, there is more yellow and less red/white polka dots (we were channeling Minnie!!) but I think you still get the idea!

Also, not sure if you can tell from the picture, but it is VERY stiff! The directions called for all sorts of iron on stuff....I asked the woman in Joanne's about iron on interfacing and she asked what I was making so I explained it to her and what it would be used for and she gave me what was obviously the heaviest, stiffest iron on interfacing available!

As I don't sew and have no clue about stuff in the sewing aisle, I just took what she gave me!!

Well, 2 days before our cruise, armed with all my supplies, iron and my daughter and mom (who traveled with us) supervising, we set out to make the FE!

The stiff interfacing was almost the death of me because while the fabric adhered easily, it was very hard getting the double fold bias tape to iron down over the heavy pleats of the pockets!!

I admit, we resorted to a stapler and glue gun but no one is the wiser and you can't tell by looking at the FE!

We used iron on patches and iron on letters for our names. Added a sparkly Mickey head to cover the dowel ends.

It was way harder than I anticipated but the fact is, we all had fun (at times) making it and the experience added to our overall cruise! My daughter was thrilled to hang it outside our door! So, I would do it again (though will likely use this FE next cruise!!)

Of course, we got a photo of everyone elses FE as we delivered and forgot to get a picture of ours hanging by our door!!

Now, off to try to post what we made to the gift thread!

The Maz Disney Blog: http://themazdisneyblog.blogspot.com/
The "We're Going to WDW" Podcast: http://wgtwdw.podbean.com/ ]Show # 31 Just Released 5/21/13
MickeyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #1838
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximom00 View Post

I actually sewed on the bias tape on the top of the pocket after applying the interfacing but before putting in the pleats. Then, on the bottom of the pocket, it was moot since the bias tape lays flat.

Hard to explain without a visual.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #1839
PatsMinnie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeSparkles
I have bought 3 amazing embroidered FEs from Graddysmommy on eBay. If I could figure out how to post photos I will. But she is competively priced, had free & quick shipping and does Magical work!

P.S. I am just a customer of hers offering free advice...
I just bought an umbrella spotter from her and I LOVE it and can't wait to use it on Castaway Cay!

WDW Trips:
Several times between 1987-2004 (stayed with relatives), Sept 2011-POFQ, Jan 2012-Coronado Springs, Feb 2012-All-Star Movies (ran the Princess Half-Marathon), May 2012-WDW Dolphin, Sept 2012-All-Star Sports (ran the TOT 10 Miler)

DCL Trips:
Sept/Oct 2012 - Dream (Bahamas, 4-nights)

Upcoming trips:
Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder (Alaska, 7 nights)
PatsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #1840
ktalina
Earning My Ears

I'm soooo hoping there is a FE list on my trip

WOW! This is sooo cool! I'll be taking my 1st Disney Cruise next Summer and I so badly hope that someone puts together a list

Thank you for sharing the pictures and the awesome info on FE

Ktalina
ktalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #1841
taximom00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMaz View Post
I changed the url tags to img to make the picture show up. Very nice.
Thanks for doing that for me...I'm not technologically literate. I was impressed with myself that I even managed to get the link in!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #1842
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalina View Post
WOW! This is sooo cool! I'll be taking my 1st Disney Cruise next Summer and I so badly hope that someone puts together a list

Thank you for sharing the pictures and the awesome info on FE

Ktalina
You can always be the one who puts together the list. I took the lead on getting the list going for our Alaska cruise because I really wanted to make sure it happened. Now we have a decent size group participating--especially considering how small a group we have on our meet thread.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #1843
nemofamof4
Earning My Ears

There are so many fabulous Fish extenders! I cannot wait to start making ours for our first cruise in January
nemofamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #1844
daigs5
Earning My Ears

Thanks for sharing the Facebook link on FE's and gift ideas! It came in very handy for this newbie!
daigs5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #1845
soy1
Earning My Ears

Multi Room Question

Hi! My parents are going with us and some of my kids are staying with them. How does it work if you are a multi-room family? I'm thinking of signing us up and would bring all of the goodies so my parents wouldn't have to. Would I bring one set to exchange - or would I need to bring two different sets of gifts (one for them to give out and one for us to give out)? I could also see that being a challenge as we receive different things on different days...... Just wondering because I'm sure we're not the first multi-room family to participate.

Thx
Sue
First Disney Cruise!! And I can't wait!!
soy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: