Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Second thoughts--advice please!!

We are booked on the Fantasy Eastern with my DH, and 3 DDs (12, 10 and 7) in March. This itinerary goes to st. Maarten and San Juan. We have a category 8B ocean view family stateroom in the very front of deck 9 (room 9000--It was the last category 8 room).

I am now considering a 7-night Western on the Magic instead. Ports are Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It leaves the day after our Fantasy sailing, also from Port Canaveral. We would have two category 11b inside staterooms, deck 6 aft. The prices are basically identical.

I'm torn. I booked the Fantasy basically because the Fantasy looks amazing! But I think the ports on the Western might be more fun? I might like the smaller feel of the Magic too. I am also not thrilled with our room location on the Fantasy. And is the Edge more fun on one or the other? (I know my younger 2 will love the club/lab on either ship). Food comparable on both ships?

This all probably sounds silly, but my DDs are getting older and summer and holiday break cruises will probably never be in our price range, so this might be our last chance for a week long cruise. I want to pick the best one! TIA for any advice!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisavince3 View Post
We are booked on the Fantasy Eastern with my DH, and 3 DDs (12, 10 and 7) in March. This itinerary goes to st. Maarten and San Juan. We have a category 8B ocean view family stateroom in the very front of deck 9 (room 9000--It was the last category 8 room).

I am now considering a 7-night Western on the Magic instead. Ports are Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It leaves the day after our Fantasy sailing, also from Port Canaveral. We would have two category 11b inside staterooms, deck 6 aft. The prices are basically identical.

I'm torn. I booked the Fantasy basically because the Fantasy looks amazing! But I think the ports on the Western might be more fun? I might like the smaller feel of the Magic too. I am also not thrilled with our room location on the Fantasy. And is the Edge more fun on one or the other? (I know my younger 2 will love the club/lab on either ship). Food comparable on both ships?

This all probably sounds silly, but my DDs are getting older and summer and holiday break cruises will probably never be in our price range, so this might be our last chance for a week long cruise. I want to pick the best one! TIA for any advice!
Both are excellent cruises, good is similar, I would go with the Fantasy there is more to do its a newer ship and the room is good.

Aquaduck on demand movies the great show Aladdin, all on the Fantasy.

Yes Western has more ports if call and a bit less sea days it's more sightseeing and history, the Eastern more beaches, and sun, and shopping.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3182194
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

I'm traveling solo in February, but having a similar debate. I love the Dream and really want to go on the Fantasy, but I have ZERO interest in San Juan (dealing with the insanity that is the Puerto Rican Day Parade has left me with absolutely NO desire to experience that culture at all). I'm super excited about my non-ship excursion for St. Maarten though...but is that enough?

If I changed to the Magic, it would be a different, smaller ship. I've already done a pay-in-advance hotel room for the night of the 13th, so I'll already have to be in Orlando so that would add another night's hotel expense (the other one isn't changeable). I've been to Key West and want to return someday, but for more than a few hours. About as much desire to experience Cozumel as to experience San Juan - especially Presidents' Week. Grand Cayman interests me a lot though.

I will undoubtedly be happy to be back on DCL though - my true second thoughts are about Alaska on Holland America in three weeks (not Alaska, which I want to do...the Westerdam - the more I learn about it the less excited I am to be getting on it). So at this point I'm planning to stick with the Fantasy and just hanging on the ship an extra day to avoid the port I'm not interested in.

But who knows.

(BTW ~ If I could be in 9000 or 9500 I would have no doubts at all!! Love 9000 - stayed in it on the Dream last February!! But sadly the 8Bs are at GTY now. So I'm "stuck" in 7A 9512. I know...First World Problems. Haha!)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

The Fantasy is a fantastic ship, but the Magic is amazing too and we absolutely love that Western itinerary. We also love 11B staterooms and choose them on almost every sailing.

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either cruise. Go with your gut.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either cruise. Go with your gut.
I wish my gut could make up its mind! One day it's saying stick with the Eastern, the next it's saying to go on the Magic for the Western

But it's a good reminder that we really will have a great time either way! Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wish my gut could make up its mind! One day it's saying stick with the Eastern, the next it's saying to go on the Magic for the Western

But it's a good reminder that we really will have a great time either way! Thanks!
Stick with what you have, otherwise you'll go NUTS.....
Honestly we've sailed all 4 ships and they are all wonderful. The Fantasy is our favorite ship, and the 7 day Eastern itinerary is the one we enjoy the most. Just my totally subjective 2 cents worth.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
STUR
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We leave in 2 1/2 weeks and chose eastern We wont to enjoy the Ship with our Grand kids more than the ports
STUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

I'd stick with what you have; the Fantasy is amazing! Seriously, I really want to try the re-imagined Magic but I am nervous it won't live up to the Fantasy. We did the Eastern on our last cruise and I loved the ports we visited but we haven't done a Western yet so I can't comment on those ports. You'll drive yourself nuts with this decision. I don't think you can go wrong, but again I'd go with the Fantasy.

Upcoming Trips:
Polynesian ~ August 1-August 4, 2014 (Just me and DH )
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern Cruise ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I would say it would depend on what you want to do in the ports.

If you are looking for beaches, go with the Magic. Grand Cayman and Cozumel have some great beaches.

In March, we find the water at Castaway Cay is cold.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

i would go with the Magic
I have done 10 cruises on disney have 11,12,13 booked.
all but one on the clasic ships
did the big ship once is was good but the classic ships are better
in fact we had a great room at the rear of the ship on Fantasy but it was a pain when we had to gone to the other end it is real long way and not easy getting thru
do the magic try to get a veranda room for 5

8/99 4day Magic
4/02 7 day Magic
8/03 7 day Magic
11/05 4 day wonder pin cruise
8/06 7 day Magic
8/08 15 night Panama Canal
8/09 7 day Magic
8/11 Alaska
12/12 Christmas on the Fantasy
2/14 5 day out of Miami on Wonder
12/14 New Years on the 7 day Magic
4/15 7 Day Magic

7/15 12 night Baltic Norther Europe
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This isn't gonna help you (sorry!), but I say switch. My reasoning is that more ports of call (and different ones!) are better. But it really boils down to what you want to get out of the cruise. I am 81 days away from our Western Caribbean on the Fantasy, and the reason I chose it has more to do with the ports than the ship. My kids are 16 and 13 and I wanted to show them some different places/cultures, and so to me, the more and varied ports we go to, the better. So I opted for Western vs Eastern for this reason. One more port!

I've been on the Dream, but not any of the classic ships. I loved everything about the Dream, and I hear the Fantasy is even better! But despite that, I would go for more ports. So, maybe really think (and talk about) what you guys want out of the cruise. Are you looking for more ports and experiences or are you mostly thinking about the ship? Some people don't even get off at the ports because their main reason for cruising is the amenities onboard. To that person I would say stick with the Fantasy. So make a list. Pros/cons. Examine what your goal is for the cruise. And go from there.

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are booked on the Fantasy Eastern with my DH, and 3 DDs (12, 10 and 7) in March. This itinerary goes to st. Maarten and San Juan. We have a category 8B ocean view family stateroom in the very front of deck 9 (room 9000--It was the last category 8 room). I am now considering a 7-night Western on the Magic instead. Ports are Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It leaves the day after our Fantasy sailing, also from Port Canaveral. We would have two category 11b inside staterooms, deck 6 aft. The prices are basically identical. I'm torn. I booked the Fantasy basically because the Fantasy looks amazing! But I think the ports on the Western might be more fun? I might like the smaller feel of the Magic too. I am also not thrilled with our room location on the Fantasy. And is the Edge more fun on one or the other? (I know my younger 2 will love the club/lab on either ship). Food comparable on both ships? This all probably sounds silly, but my DDs are getting older and summer and holiday break cruises will probably never be in our price range, so this might be our last chance for a week long cruise. I want to pick the best one! TIA for any advice!
I say switch to the Magic. I've been on all 4. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fantasy. Have been on it twice and it's atrium chandelier is my favorite of them all. However, with the ages of your younger DDs, I would totally go on the reimagined Magic. We were on it in November and I prefer the water areas on it over the Fantasy's. I'm much more comfortable letting my very competent swimmer run and play in the splash zone because she is nowhere near the very over crowded pools. It is however still near the Mickey slide that she loves!

Good luck choosing! You can't go wrong either way.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the replies, but the responses are about 50-50! No wonder I am having a hard time with this decision! I guess it's another indication that we will have fun either way!

Or maybe I should scrap our original dates and look at a Fantasy Eastern that includes St. Thomas/St. John. The DDs would miss an extra day of school if we went a different week, but at least I'd feel more excited about visiting that port and we'd still get to go on the Fantasy. Although there have been compelling arguments for the Magic, and Grand Cayman sounds really fun....

Who had the advice to stick to my original plan, otherwise I'd go crazy? You are so right!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
crafty91
DIS Veteran

If ANY of your decision at all is about the kids clubs and your kids enjoying them more on newer ships vs the classic ships then go on the Fantasy hands down! My DD and DS, now 14 and 12 prefer the Edge on the Fantasy much more than the Magic. WAY more for the Tween/teen group to do on the newer ships.

IMO, ALL of the ports are in the Caribbean so there isn't a LOT of difference in any of them. One beach looks a lot like another. With a few exceptions there aren't enough differences to say "wow" I loved one place over another. They all have their own flavor and cool for what they are.

Stick with the Fantasy, you won't be disappointed!
Magic March 2010
Wonder March 2011 Mexican Riviera
Fantasy Maiden Voyage March 2012
Fantasy Western July 2012
Fantasy Western March Spring Break 2013
Fantasy March 2014 Western Caribbean

NEXT: Magic Mediterranean July 2014

Beyond: Fantasy Eastern March Spring Break 2015
crafty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty91 View Post
If ANY of your decision at all is about the kids clubs and your kids enjoying them more on newer ships vs the classic ships then go on the Fantasy hands down! My DD and DS, now 14 and 12 prefer the Edge on the Fantasy much more than the Magic. WAY more for the Tween/teen group to do on the newer ships.

IMO, ALL of the ports are in the Caribbean so there isn't a LOT of difference in any of them. One beach looks a lot like another. With a few exceptions there aren't enough differences to say "wow" I loved one place over another. They all have their own flavor and cool for what they are.

Stick with the Fantasy, you won't be disappointed!
Thank you. This is extremely helpful. My younger two DDs are easy going and excited to do anything and everything. My oldest, 12, is not easy to please and thinks everything is boring, except hanging out with her friends. She makes friends quickly, so I am really hoping she will give Edge a chance and stay in there long enough to meet people. The Edge on the new ships does look more fun and cheerful and glad to hear there is a lot to do!

That's good to know about the ports too. Thanks again!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: