Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Teen Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Dancemom03
Flexican wannabe

What to do for a good 17th birthday party?

hi all,

my DD turned 17 on Tuesday but we just returned from 2 weeks in WDW and it was 2nd day of school so the party is postponed.

DD wants a party though but can't decide what. She wants to do something memorable but not childish. Last year we just took her friends to dinner at Rainforest Cafe but that didn't seem like quite enough.

What would you do to celebrate a 17th Birthday? TIA
Dancemom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Loves Disney
Department of Redundancy Department.
I guess if I were to have any kind of nicknames they would be..."Shut up!" and "Stop Singing"
OH, THE TERROR OF A CHIP!!!

For my 17th Birthday, I just went to the movies with a few close friends.

If I could go back and do something a bit more exciting and memorable, I would travel to a popular place in the state and spend a couple days there. I live in MA so my trip would be to Cape Cod or Boston. Each about an hour to 2 and 1/2 hours away. That would have been something very cool and memorable, for me.

I know that might be a bit much, but heh, I can't really think of something else. Sorry if I wasn't of much help.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
MissPotatoHead
Look beneath the ground - there is treasure.
The ground is ugly - but point is, looks aren't everything

shopping spree!!!!!!!!!!!! (even though i'm only 14!!!! LOL)
'cause i'll never know if you're fakin' it

yesterday you changed my life;;there's no turning back.
we'll pause the good moments,
fastfoward the bad times,
but notice there's no rewind--
i realize something about you ... something different than any other guy i've met
why can't i realize it--
are you really ... ... you?
MissPotatoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Daisymae26
I am shopping and comparing before I buy
I feel like breaking out into song..."It's a bright (briiiiiight), bright, sunshiney daaaay..."

This might be kind of exspensive, but you could take her and some of her friends out to dinner and then to see a play (like Wicked, or something along the lines of that).

I love Cat's idea of spending a weekend somewhere. That would be totally awesome and super memorable!

Hope this helped!

OLOTP

"If you can't say somthin' nice,don't say nothin' at all." -Thumper
Daisymae26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
PrincessTink

I'm thinking this for my 18th birthday but semi formal black and white party. Reserve a party hall or just a basement of a house and have a bunch of close friends.
Catch:Everyone wears black and/or white but the special person wears a standing out color like red or something.
PrincessTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
DollfieDreams
...thinks riku is sexy
caution: prone to crying at disney!
i could take my tink doll with me on vacation

i would suggest a long weekend just exploring all of downtown disney. but i dont know where you are, and if you just came back from a 2 week trip, that may be a little much. but then again, who can honestly get their fill of disney world?

anyway, i think a themed party would be interesting, like princesstink's idea (sorry babe, dont remember your name xD) you can jazz it up a bit by having a costume party. what is she into? movies, games, tv shows, disney? you can take on of these things and run with it. like, movies for example, you could throw a party where everyone has to "dress up" like some famous movie star (old or new) and you can have a red carpet, get those little fake oscars and have an "award ceremony" for best costume and what not.

you can do something really creative if she likes dance. a friend of mine had her birthday party one year at a dance instruction place, where they gave free swing lessons. it sounded like a lot of fun and an interesting experience, not many people can say they can swing dance.

have a photoshoot. have her choose a theme like casual, formal, or maybe even stick with the costume theme of whatever she likes. go out somewhere like downtown, beach, park, etc and take some fun and serious pictures. tons of fun and its makes for great memories.

mm, im running out of ideas. ^^;

♥ DOC Twin-B ♥ Puki Pipi ♥ DOC Twin-B Girl ♥ Saving For: DF Xiang Yi ♥
DollfieDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
JulielovesDisney
Hakuna Matata
I find any accent extremely hot
He's no boy. lol -wink wink

For my 16th, my parents rented a hall and had all my friends over. It was a lot of fun. That's always a popular idea, throw a themed party (mine was Disney..lol) at a hall or something and invite her good friends.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Dancemom03
Flexican wannabe

Thanks guys, they're terrific ideas but some would hard to pull off in a week or two and until we got back last week summer was all about Otakon & Disney so we didn't plan too far ahead.
She and I go to Otakon every year, meet friends, dress up and shop for anime as a special birthday celebration between us. This year Otakon was one weekend and we left for wdw the following Friday, returning literally just in time for school. I stayed on in WDW with the girls an extra week after their dad flew back to work and it was terrific. With an extra week to do whatever they wanted, the first week was a great family time with no missed expectations. It sort of took the pressure off all of us and let us enjoy each other's company.
We're in Maryland, above Baltimore and not far from the PA line. I'd love to go back to WDW with her friends but airfare at the last minute is just out of sight. Plus with storms rolling on the east coast I'm not sure I want to be in the air. I like flying but get stressed during bumpy flights.
School is out Monday & Tuesday next week so we could go somewhere - hershey park, PA or maybe somewhere in Wash DC but that limits who she can take to 3 or 4 as I'd be transporting.
I also thought about just taking them to the movies and renting a couple rooms at a nice hotel room across from the mall for hanging out and swimming after but everybody has pools so it doesn't hold the attraction it would have when they were small. Kids could drive there themselves for a different kind of sleepover but that can be pricey too and some parents might not like the idea.
I guess what we wondered is what's cool? What kind of parties have you been to that were fun lately and how old are you?
Dancemom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Starfire
One of Hannah Montanas#1 fans
Now knows what it's like
The TF is starfire's fan!

you could do the party at the mall or go to a cinema to see a movie with friends

..Into The Rush Now, You Don't Have To Know How
Know It All Before You Try..
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
DollfieDreams
...thinks riku is sexy
caution: prone to crying at disney!
i could take my tink doll with me on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancemom03
Thanks guys, they're terrific ideas but some would hard to pull off in a week or two and until we got back last week summer was all about Otakon & Disney so we didn't plan too far ahead.
She and I go to Otakon every year, meet friends, dress up and shop for anime as a special birthday celebration between us. This year Otakon was one weekend and we left for wdw the following Friday, returning literally just in time for school. I stayed on in WDW with the girls an extra week after their dad flew back to work and it was terrific. With an extra week to do whatever they wanted, the first week was a great family time with no missed expectations. It sort of took the pressure off all of us and let us enjoy each other's company.
We're in Maryland, above Baltimore and not far from the PA line. I'd love to go back to WDW with her friends but airfare at the last minute is just out of sight. Plus with storms rolling on the east coast I'm not sure I want to be in the air. I like flying but get stressed during bumpy flights.
School is out Monday & Tuesday next week so we could go somewhere - hershey park, PA or maybe somewhere in Wash DC but that limits who she can take to 3 or 4 as I'd be transporting.
I also thought about just taking them to the movies and renting a couple rooms at a nice hotel room across from the mall for hanging out and swimming after but everybody has pools so it doesn't hold the attraction it would have when they were small. Kids could drive there themselves for a different kind of sleepover but that can be pricey too and some parents might not like the idea.
I guess what we wondered is what's cool? What kind of parties have you been to that were fun lately and how old are you?
holy bagoodness. your a con mom!!!! *GLOMP* im a florida con-goer! yay! xD this makes me ubberly happy.

*ahem* and now that i know she likes anime, this can get a littttlllle bit easier. im 17 and i love anything to do with costumes, especially anime/video game ones. would she like a themed party? if so, does she have a favorite something or other? if i knew that i could come up with something spazztacular.

♥ DOC Twin-B ♥ Puki Pipi ♥ DOC Twin-B Girl ♥ Saving For: DF Xiang Yi ♥
DollfieDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: