Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #46
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

Amy ~~~~~~~ I like the use of this thing: ~ but it took me a minute to find it on the keyboard!~!~!~!~!

Quote:
Do any of you remember what the World was like in 1976?
Oh yes, my first trip was then. Almost Sr. Class Trip.... Grammy....I was 15!

And too chicken to ride Space. So my little bro did!

I'll come to TofT on Oct1st.....to hold all the stuff and to hold the hands of Grammy X2!!!

Looking forward to more!

Last edited by Yzma and Kronk; 09-18-2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: 1976 was 30 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #47
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_river
I can't wait to see cute pics of your darlings in costumes.
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is a request for photos, no?

Previews of the costumes. . . .

I would post the old Cindy, but I actually finished a new Cindy dress for her this weekend, except for the zipper and hem. So, no previews of that one yet. And my sis is working on Aurora. (I love my Sis!)
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 09-18-2006 at 03:11 PM. Reason: yes. definitely a request for photos. of my bee-yoo-tee-ful baby girl. Funny, I don't have costume photos of the boy. Need to make a peter pan top for him. . . .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #48
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Costumes

Don't tell me you made those costumes yourself?

If you did - all I can say is WOW! The only thing I can sew is a new button on. I should have paid more attention in school!

Your DD looks like a little darling

I can't wait to see the new Cindy costume too.

Last edited by blue_river; 09-18-2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: mistake..mistake with names
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #49
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

My poor daughter had to SCHLEP around in the Disney Store Cinderella costume.
Pooey!
LOOK AT YOUR TALENT! I am (almost) speachless!

Last edited by UtahMama; 09-18-2006 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Your DD is so cute! "Smell the flower, honey, while mommy takes your picture..."
Old 09-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #50
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Amy the grammy story was great, I think I did that to poor Hannah on EE. I watched her and held on to her.

You definetly have to get the BBB pictures done of Nofear.....I went back twice you may have to go back more with all those dresses but it is so worth it.

-

Last edited by NAB; 09-19-2006 at 09:16 AM. Reason: can't wait to hear more.....
Old 09-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #51
horsegirl
I feel blonder than a cocker spaniel!
I tell people I am 30-10-15 so they are super impressed
I got distracted by all the lovebugs on the pool bar

Location: running from the fruit stand and hiding all my nature pictures

Bump! Love your mom! What a sweet grammy. Your baby in her custom outfits is gorgeous!

More! More! More! You are one hot writer woman....your heart is the very best thing about you!

Did I say more? More, More, More! Please?

Need a Smile? Snowstorm pix of a beautiful snowy day [/SIZE]
A Day at the Punkin Patch-A Celebration of a New England Fall Day
A Week by the Lake- A trip report designed to soothe and calm the reader
How to Make $3600 on Your Disney Vacation...A Trip Report

Last edited by horsegirl; 09-21-2006 at 09:23 AM. Reason: stop working and packing and attend to this tale!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #52
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

I agree with horsegirl...more more more
Old 09-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #53
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

A Story about NeatKid. She would be mortified to know that I am telling stories!

A story about NeatKid:

My niece, joining us on this adventure, is the younger of two sisters. Her older sister, bless her, was decidedly NOT a snuggler as a baby. Truth be told, I think my sister (their mother) would state that not only did she not snuggle, she also did not sleep, EVER, as a baby. (This has ALL changed now that she is a teenager, but, please, this is a taboo subject with my sister.) So, when NeatKid came along, my sister psyched herself up to another six months of sleep deprivation. That never arrived.

Because, NeatKid was a snuggler extraordinaire. She was perfectly content for her first two years of life as long as she was being cuddled in SOMEONE's lap. She was not very discriminating in choosing whose lap that was to be, either. (Of immediate concern to her mother.)

I believe that this early start in life is what has led her, in part, to be the gentle, caring, and loving soul that she is now. She is only 13, but she is better with kids than lots of young mothers I see. Again, this is a taboo topic with my sister. Who doesn't want to think about that . . . But, this is the reason that I am so glad that she is coming with us.

NeatKid is also incredibly bright. Smart. Brainiac. Example: they were testing her for the gifted/honors program before her fifth(?I think) grade year (what do I know, it might have been fourth). She is an outside the box thinker. Very intuitive, etc. Unfortunately, most of the standardized tests these days have a hard time quantifying the kind of thinking she does. One of the questions was probably intended as a math question: A soda costs X, popcorn costs Y, and candy costs Z. If Bubba goes to the movies and buys one of each, how much did he spend on refreshments? She got the question wrong. She answered that Bubba spent X. Later, when going over the test with her mom her explanation was as follows: "Well, yes, he only spent X on refreshments. What's refreshing about popcorn or candy? Soda is the only item that is refreshing."

I love that. I love that a child (she couldn't have been more than nine or ten at the time), can think like this.

She also submitted the word "sycophant" as a proposed vocabulary/spelling word in the 6th grade (gifted class). It was rejected as obscure, and not used in regular conversation. She argued that if Disney used it in a movie aimed at her age group, how could it be considered obscure?

That's my girl!

Oh, the observations she is likely to make on this trip! Her perspective is unique. She is unique. Special. Wonderful. Neat.

(The movie is 101 Dalmatians by the way. The live action film with Glenn Close. The lines are something close to this: Cruella's assistant is fawning over her. She asks him "What kind of sycophant are you?" He responds with "What kind would you like me to be?" I just about peed my pants.)

Packing (and other fiascos) before I go . . . . (Page 4, Post 60)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-13-2006 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot WHY I told part of that story. Sheesh.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #54
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

oh i can't wait to hear neatkids take on the trip - be sure to write down some of the stuff she mentions/notices so you don't forget!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #55
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Location: If I'm not at Monk's, check the Hawk & Dove, or else I'm playing tetherball

Wait, is this the way to the snack bar? How did I end up here?

Here's an embarassing admission: sycophancy is also used in the Special Edition of Lion King. It's a lyric in Morning Report.

From this we can conclude that:
1. I am in fact a colossal Disney nerd;
2. I own the Special Edition of the Lion King;
4. I've paid attention to the lyrics in Morning Report.
4(c). I know the lyrics to Morning Report.
7. I eat breakfast during the morning.
8. I'm pedantic enough to want the record of your trip report to correctly reflect that sycophant and its derivations are included in another Disney movie.
10. I no longer think you smell like goat cheese. If I ever did.

I don't normally tune into pre-trip reports which are posted pre-trip. I think of them as opening your presents on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas morning (discuss). But I had a well-founded suspicion that this would be excellent reading. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out when you come back.

And here's a tip you may be able to use but don't tell anyone else. In fact, everyone else reading this, kindly divert your attention. There's nothing to see here.

GA: it looks like you will be in Disney World before the end of Sept. Do everything you can to be in the MK during one of the Magical Beginning mornings. My recollection is they are Sunday, Weds and Fri from 8 until 9. They open Fantasyland for resort guests only. But here's the thing. No one knows about it. When we were there, no lie: 12 families. 12! Not only can you ride whatever the heck you feel like, you can even search for the mythical golden bow on the Carousel. Also, there's a ton of characters playing games with the kids.

Now then. On with the show.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'they are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by ZZUB; 09-21-2006 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Despite what you've heard, you cannot use the Dining Plan snack credits at the Hess Station or at Orlando Airport. So be advised. Plan accordingly.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #56
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Z man. Thanks for the tip. I've seen it now - go edit so that I am special, blessed, SINGULAR in the wisdom which you have bestowed!

And.

I didn't know that about the Lion King (Special Edition), as I have the original, and I was told (by the same sister of NeatKid) that the particular sequence (the new song in the morning report) ruined the best part of the classic film (the morning report). So. I tend to watch the original rather than the special edition (which I also have.)

And that, I think, proves that my entire family are Disney nerds.

Sigh. (like everyone didn't know that already!)

One other thing I forgot to mention about NeatKid: Mulan is her all-time favorite Disney movie. Not a bad choice, I must say. . . . At least Mulan has a strong, independent, but devoted to family female character.

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 09-21-2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Much better than that hoochie in Little Mermaid, yes? And DRAT. I'm changing my ADR for the Hess Station.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #57
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Amy - I love "outside the box". I had an experience with what I termed a thinker, a former student. Took everything for face value. Way smarter than I could ever be. Kept me on my toes But you can't really argue the truth. What is refreshing about popcorn or candy????

You will have a ball with her

Last edited by Grammyof2; 09-22-2006 at 06:45 AM. Reason: cause I fear getting smacked with a collander
Old 09-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #58
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Hey Ga Girl!

I'm loving your pre-trip report! The background about your mom is hilarious!! And Neatkid sound like...well...a neat kid. Glad she can join you.

You are a great writer and I'm looking forward to the report when you return!!

Quote:
And that, I think, proves that my entire family are Disney nerds.

Sigh.
Don't sigh about being a Disney nerd!!! Embrace it!!! Buy a Mickey head for your car! Spout wise trip-planning advice to anyone who mentions they are thinking of taking their kids to the World! Recite the lines to MK rides at the dinner table! (It's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!) Use your refillable mug for your morning coffee long after you return from your trip! These are just for starters.

Great writing!! Let's eat some Sonny's soon!!

NM

NicoleMarie

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10

What I learned from the DIS - Spring Break 2006 (with pics!!)

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW

Old 09-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #59
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Amy for some reason instead of Neatkid I see Nakedkid.

Z is right the little ones early opening day is Wed. with only Fantasyland being open for the kids. We loved it because no one was there either. Guess people don't want to get up that early or they don't know.

Can't wait to hear more.....

Last edited by NAB; 09-22-2006 at 01:57 PM. Reason: and what NM said too.....
Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #60
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Packing (and other fiascos) before I leave . . .

Well, here I am, three sleeps away from my kids first magical trip to Disney World. I'm so excited I can barely sleep. That, and stressed about all that I need to do before I go.

Here is what I have done:
1. Made costumes. That is, three princess dresses, 3 musketeer smocks, added feathers to two hats, MADE a 3rd hat for the shrimpster, and passed on making poet's shirts as too much trouble. (I couldn't decide that before the 3 princess dresses?)
2. Made t-shirts, including the height of Disney geekiness: MATCHING family t-shirts for the drive down. They are mighty cute. Anyone interested should go take a gander at the Creative DISigns board - some very talented folks. Last t-shirt count was something like 24. I never do anything by half-measure.
3. Started my packing lists: my "don't forget" list, "shopping" list, "to do" list, "my clothing" list, "kids clothing" list, and, of course, the list of my lists. Just in case.
4. Took the Silver Bullet van in for 60,000 mile servicing. Yikes. Even the dealership is getting into the Disney spirit. Just look at their pricing.
5. Obsessively measured NoFear in all her different shoes to make sure she makes 40" in each. (I really think Disney should go with a single measure, then armband deal, so I don't have to stress about that crucial standing up straight, 1/4" gamble or resulting meltdown at each ride.)
6. Thought about pulling out the suitcase(s).

Here is what I have yet to do.
1. Actually pull out the suitcase(s).
2. Organize my "Tinkerbell" gifts. They are all stuffed in the Shrimpster's closet someplace.
3. Buy more ziploc bags so that I can organize the kids clothing.
4. Pack
5. Clean
6. Pack some more
7. Clean some more
8. Put all the stuff I have packed into the Silver Bullet van.
9. Give the house one last scrubbing.

I am still waiting on a package from my sis. It is to contain one more Mickey t-shirt for each of the kids (with the mickey heads appliqued on the front. I do iron on. She does actual quality work). This package is also to contain NoFear's fourth princess dress: Aurora. I am anxious about that package as the Aurora dress is KEY for a certain breakfast we have scheduled on Saturday. With a certain little Prince. Who also has an adorable costume, if I do say so myself.

I believe that I am taking off work the day before our departure to (hopefully) accomplish a good number of items that will STILL not be done at that point. (Namely 5, 7, and 9 on the above list).

I find it strange that while I (and my family) generally live in squalor, [I seem to be incapable of working full time, raising two children, AND keeping the house clean] I am INSISTENT that the house be clean before we leave on vacation. Maybe it's like the whole clean underwear thing that Grammy told me when I was young. I wouldn't want to show up at the hospital with dirty undies, and I sure wouldn't want anyone to see the way we live in case something (God forbid) happens to us.

Either that or I think that the sour milk smell is just gross.

The PreTrip Shadow/Tragedy (Page 5, Post 72)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-13-2006 at 02:52 PM. Reason: oh, and, the Mickey Head antenna topper stays on the Silver Bullet year round!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: