Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #31
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Well, since Rhonda rescued me from (what page was it Rhonda? Five?) I want to answer those who have posted since my last thank you, without it appearing that I am just bumping my own trip report . . .

Krista - I am no less anxious than you for me to get there.
YAK - you know it girl!
Shell-bee - we will ALL be thinking of our viking friends who weren't able to rearrange their busy schedules just to come and congregate. And, as I have said before, I have high hopes that this is not going to be a one-time thing!
Minnie - lots of pics on the way (eventually). And my shrimpster, well, he has heretofore fallen into the 10th percentile for both height and weight. So, while he does not need slim jeans, he is still wearing size 12 mos NOW, when he is 2 1/4. Bless him. I'm guessing that he WON'T play basketball!
Rhonda - my friend, you know that I am rather partial to your little guy, too, yes? I can't wait for THOSE pics!!!! Your little prince and my little princess, dressed up . . . (and Joshua crying and clinging to me of course!)

Okay. The trip is getting precariously close for all the things I still need to do: iron some t-shirts, finish a Cinderella dresss, make the other 3 Halloween costumes, pack, etc. But I HOPE to get some backstories up for all of you, too. Soon. Maybe next week . . .
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 09-12-2006 at 02:12 PM. Reason: attrocious grammar. bad. wow.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #32
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

bumping.....

Last edited by UtahMama; 09-17-2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: love ya G.A.!!!!! Needed a lil' bumpy!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #33
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Thanks UM!

and Welcome Back!!!

(BTW, I hope to have some background stories up this week. If work cooperates!)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 09-18-2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: where'd that extra C come from? More pre-trip coming, I hope . . .
Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #34
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

We need more (pre) trip report!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!

Last edited by jamal; 09-18-2006 at 10:11 AM. Reason: two weeks from today....
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #35
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

A story about Grammy. Which she probably won't admit to if questioned.

Okay, a story about my Mom (Grammy in this tale).

I admire my mother, for many reasons. She has a very strong faith. She lives a good, honest, clean life. She has integrity. Strength. Overwhelming love for many. I am lucky to be the recipient of that love. Her grandchildren are even luckier.

As previously stated, Grammy has been to WDW exactly ONCE thirty years ago. Do any of you remember what the World was like in 1976? Yes. We had the book of tickets. I remember a few things about that first trip: Country Bear Jamboree, Swiss Family Treehouse, Its a Small World, and Space Mountain.

My mom, like most moms, tried very hard to balance protecting us as children, and exposing us to that which would make us stronger. Needless to say, a rollercoaster is the classic example of the two concepts colliding head-on. This war between holding on tight and setting us free came out in force on Space Mountain.

That trip to WDW in 1976 was my first trip to see the Mouse. I remember riding Space Mountain with my Mom. She apparently had to concede that my little sister and I were big enough to ride, at least according to Disney. BUT, she was apparently concerned that despite what they said, I was too small for the ride and was going to fly out of the rocket at some point. This was, of course, when two people sat in the same shuttle snuggly-like. Mom was directly behind me. But this was not good enough to insure that she could grab me at the last possible second and save me from hitting the third rail.

Oh no.

If you will recall, in the old rockets, there were two sets of handles, for each of the two riders. She decided she needed to hold onto the set of handles designed for the person in front (that would have been me.) This resulted in me being doubled, chin to knees, and unable to raise my head or see anything, since my Mom was draped, blanket like, over me to keep me from falling out of my rocket on that oh-so-scary ride in Space Mountain.

Newsflash Mom: We dont really blast off into Space!

Meanwhile, she could see around at all the really cool (especially then) lights and stars and such, and was laughing hysterically and screaming about how great it was. But then, my mom also laughed hysterically at Alien while her three children were hiding under the bleachers from fright (outdoor theater).

I cant wait to get back on this ride with Mom. I bet she chickens out. But I am definitely making her ride the Great Movie Ride. Lets see how funny that Alien is NOW . . .

A Story about NeatKid (Page 4, Post 53)

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-13-2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I'll have to think hard to come up with a backstory about NeatKid, since she doesn't live near me and I don't see her often.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #36
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAristocat
BUT, she was apparently concerned that despite what they said, I was too small for the ride and was going to fly out of the rocket at some point. This was, of course, when two people sat in the same shuttle snuggly-like. Mom was directly behind me. But this was not good enough to insure that she could grab me at the last possible second and save me from hitting the third rail.

Oh no.

If you will recall, in the old rockets, there were two sets of handles, for each of the two riders. She decided she needed to hold onto the set of handles designed for the person in front (that would have been me.) This resulted in me being doubled, chin to knees, and unable to raise my head or see anything, since my Mom was draped, blanket like, over me to keep me from falling out of my rocket on that oh-so-scary ride in Space Mountain.

Newsflash Mom: We dont really blast off into Space!

Meanwhile, she could see around at all the really cool (especially then) lights and stars and such, and was laughing hysterically and screaming about how great it was. But then, my mom also laughed hysterically at Alien while her three children were hiding under the bleachers from fright (outdoor theater).

I cant wait to get back on this ride with Mom. I bet she chickens out. But I am definitely making her ride the Great Movie Ride. Lets see how funny that Alien is NOW . . .

Great stories Kitty! The dichotomy of the over-protective mom on Space Mtn. vs. the hysterically laughing mom while her kids were terrified is just great! I am so excited for you, and for her, that she will get to experience this trip with you and your family. So...do you think she'll ride RNRC?? After all, THAT one goes upside down. Will she trust you to not fall out of the seat without her hanging on to you????!!!

Last edited by AshClan; 09-18-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Woo Hoo! I'm first!!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #37
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

OMGosh! How FUNNY! You poor thing!

SOOO? How OLD were you in 1976? Hmmm? I didnt think they let infants ride? Heh-heh!!! I was 9 ish. Plenty big enough to ride. But I'm not sure when SM joined Disney Land...I just know there was a line OUTside of Tomarrowland! Cripes!

I only knew the "Land" not the "World" having grow'd up 20 miles from Disneyland! I had to ride Space Mountain with my dad....there was NO protection from scarriness with HIM, let me tell you! No motherly cocoon of death!

IN FACT!!! I rode the Matterhorn before I was even BORN! (my mother says I turned out ok, though! but I sometimes WONDER!) YES, they let her! No, I'm not kidding!

Last edited by UtahMama; 09-18-2006 at 12:04 PM. Reason: darn mermaid! I was suposed to be first!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #38
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Costumes

I can't wait to see cute pics of your darlings in costumes. I wish mine were young enough to dress. I did mention it to them on our trip but ya know, I just got the "rolled eyes" look. My own fault for not taking them when they were younger. Missed opportunities and all that. I also can't wait to hear how you mom enjoys the trip. You're sooooo lucky.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #39
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

AMY!! I love this story! You have taken us all back to where-were-you-in-1976. My Disney trip that year was a surprise Christmas trip; I was 13, TFI. NO one else in my family would ride Space Mountain so I rode it alone. I didn't ride it again until twelve years late ...with my husband!

Your Mom sounds wonderful. She appears Practically Perfect in Every Way. I can't wait to read the TR about how she does on the GMR and, yes, RnRC.

Will she meet me at the Tower for a drop or two???
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!

Last edited by jamal; 09-18-2006 at 12:18 PM. Reason: needed naners..........
Old 09-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #40
sheridac
DIS Veteran

Note to Sher:

Build up Amy's self confidence. She apparently, misguidedly believes she does not bring the funny.

She is wrong.

Last edited by sheridac; 09-18-2006 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I call Grammy for EE!!!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #41
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

amy your mom sounds great. can't wait to meet her, and YOU!!!!!

my fist space ride was in 78 with my Verne.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #42
brandt79
Mostly a lurker, sometimes a poster!
We "show-me-staters" tend to take things personally

Yeah, another pre-trip update! I can't wait to hear more about your family - I love the "take me back in time" Disney World moments. Unfortunately, I wasn't around in '76 but I still remember my first trip to Disneyland as a youngster - thanks for helping me relive it!

Walt Disney World
Dec 1988-Hilton at Downtown Disney ~ May 1996-off-site ~ June 2000-Wilderness Lodge ~ May 2001-Marriott at Downtown Disney ~ Nov/Dec 2005-Grand Floridian SLC & DCL (honeymoon) ~ May 2006-Polynesian ~ Nov 2006-Beach Club ~ Sept/Oct 2007-Polynesian/Grand Floridian

Last edited by brandt79; 09-18-2006 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Why would Amy think she's not funny? You definitely bring the funny, Amy!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #43
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone -
I don't think that was a funny episode, at least not for others, it is for me because I can hear my Mom's laugh, which IS hysterical, maniacal, possessed.

UM ~ in 1976 I was 6. I was beyond pissed about this incident at the time. BECAUSE with the whole E ticket thing, it wasn't like I could go ride again. Nope. One non-ride was all I got. Until I went to Disneyland in the 9th grade, ten years later.

AND. Seriously, NoFear takes after me. She wants to ride the big coasters NOW. Actually, she wanted to ride them LAST year at 6 flags when she wasn't even CLOSE to the height restrictions. Coasters scare her not. but the Great Movie Ride and Dinosaur would probably send her into a jello-like cocoon (you know, jiggling and shaking . . .).

I think she's going to want to ride the Tower of Terror. I do not believe that my mother will, she has a thing about falling. So, I don't think my Mom will let the girl ride, even if I would. and I know her daddy won't let her ride.

Who wants to meet me at TOT on October 1?

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 09-18-2006 at 01:38 PM. Reason: sorry, needed to add some details.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #44
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Lord help me. in 1976 I went to WDW, on my senior class trip

I will hold Grammy's hand from the ground, watching, TOT.

Last edited by Grammyof2; 09-18-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: us Grammy's have to stick together
Old 09-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #45
1000thhappyhaunt
Maelstromer

Good Kitty.

This is BAD stuff.

But... in the good use of the word bad.

Capish?

Anywho... I'm in too. Now.

Cheers, Mel.

Last edited by 1000thhappyhaunt; 09-18-2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Roll Tide.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: