Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #136
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Beautiful Resort Amy - you're sooo lucky. Thanks for the pics.

Your darling looks adorable hugging her towel animal
Old 10-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #137
sheridac
DIS Veteran

Amy!

You finally got your pho-toes!!!!

Nice!!

Honestly. I'm sure your DH just didn't want your children to see their mommy get all Exorcist-y!!!!

Last edited by sheridac; 10-17-2006 at 10:44 AM. Reason: come to think of it, neither would I!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #138
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

Amy -

You report made me laugh out loud. Because we are BORG!

We are three time renters now. The first time was OKW. I felt exactly like you did. And I had my in-law's with me. Sister-in-law too!
It looks as if we will be destined to be renters as well. But the great thing is I'm now friends with "the guy with the points". My hit. My supplier, so to speak and have rented twice from him. So, July was no worries!

BTW - you have our room. From July!! Exactly!
I hope we didn't leave any surprises under the bed!

Enjoying the read!

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #139
1000thhappyhaunt
Maelstromer

I have nothing funny or witty to add. Except to say that I'm STILL enjoying this immensely.

Heh heh.

BOOYEAH!

Kitty.

Cheers, Mel.

Last edited by 1000thhappyhaunt; 10-17-2006 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Still... I love the towel animal cuddle. And OKW. Too.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #140
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAristocat
So, I confess, my trust was stretched when we reached the front gates at Old Key West and neither our name, nor the name of the person from whom I rented the points was on the check-in list. Inside I was panicking. Was I going to be the poor soul that you sometimes read about that shows up for vacation and has been bilked? Cheated? Scammed? NO PLACE TO STAY?

Outwardly, I was calm. (I think). I believe I said something smart, witty, and apropos, like "huh. that's weird."

Then I figured out that the ONE thing I had not printed and placed into my black binder of knowledge was a copy of the confirmation of our reservation.

OH MY GOOD GRACIOUSNESS.

I continued to inwardly panic, and outwardly calm, until we got to the check-in.

And.

I might not have been as calm as I think I was.

Because Boost dropped me off and went to park the bullet and get the kids out. Really, I think he just didn't want to be there when and if I exploded and started wailing.

He doesn't handle crying well at all. Which is why my kids get band-aids when they stub their toes. Which violates my band-aid rule: No blood, no band-aid. Band-aids are WAY more expensive than stickers. When they stub their toe they should get a sticker.

Where was I? OH, trust, and checking in to Old Key West . . .

I decided that I also didn't want him around at the moment I found out that my life had turned to tragedy, so hotfooted my way inside praying that the gate just had a faulty print-out.

When they young man behind the counter pulled up my name I almost kissed him. From relief. (And he was kind of cute.) Anyway . . . My reservation was there. I instantly started babbling in relief . . . front gate didn't have our name, making sure reservation hadn't been canceled, what would we have done, husband would have killed me. I think those were the highlights.

Thankfully this worked out
Old 10-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #141
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Borg on the band aide thing Amy. Hubby gives in all the time too.

Wow that is a lot of space to roam.

You sure are taking us up and down along this journey. Glad everything turned out. No more of that.....only this
Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #142
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

AMY!!! I am all caught up on the last three installments. BRAVO!! Thank you so much for squeezing us all in the Silver Bullet (mine has a proper name; your should, too) for a trip down the highway with a frustrated civilian-vehicle trapped cop!!

We have not had chocolate milk emergencies but our pulp-free-with-calcium-OJ addicted ds (now 12) sent us to the store many times in many locales. Isn't it funny how you actually plan a trip around these things??

I am so relieved you liked OKW so much. It looks like it was perfect for your family!! One question: did it stay that clean the whole trip??

Thanks so much for the pics, too. Where's Boost??? He must have had SOME role in creating those gorgeous children!!

I will patiently await future chapters. I well know the small notebook and how long it takes to translate...
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #143
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

Oh Amy! I know that "trust" risk well! When we rented points last April, I don't think I let go of that confirm letter at all until we checked in. I was soooo afraid something would go wrong.

OKW looks great. Nice and roomy, as I'd heard. Didn't you just love having the washer & dryer right there in the room?! That was the clincher for me at the BWV. (But our kitchen was MUCH smaller!)

I just love that picture of the kids with the towel animal. NoFear's hug is so sweet, and the little guy is just ADORABLE!! I love the smiles!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #144
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Word to the Wise . . . (that would be ME!)

So, after taking pictures of the villa before the natural forces known as NoFear and Shrimpster had wreaked their havoc, we proceeded to unload the carpload of, well, carp, from our van. Clothes. Food. Coffee maker. Backpacks. Airbed. Tinkerbell gifts. Vacuum. Coolers. Alcohol.

This took, as you can imagine, many trips.

It also assured me that I would never be able to come to Disney world on an airplane or stay at a deluxe hotel. Because I know that the airline objects to plastic grocery store bags as a method of packing. And bell services probably does, too. And I have discovered that they don't stack very well.

There goes the dream of staying at the Wilderness Lodge some day. But maybe they wouldn't object too loudly if I used PAPER bags instead of plastic?

Something to think about . . .

Back to unloading all the carp.

It was during this time that I had my first interaction (of this trip) with a fellow traveler. Who was quite upset. Harried. Stressed.

As we were carrying in our two hundredth load of carp, she was rushing out to her car. It was around 5 o'clock in the evening. She looked over at me and said:

"Word to the wise. If you haven't made dinner reservations yet, go do it NOW. I have been on the phone for an hour and a half. We can't eat ANYWHERE!!!!!"

I smiled wanly and said thank you. And thought of all of you. Who are reading this. And, like me, tend to, you know, know about the necessity of reservations during free dining.

And I thought that this probably wasn't the time to tell her about all of you, or that I made my dining reservations approximately 179 days before. (I know, shame on me, I actually MISSED our 180 window.)

Like I said. I smiled wanly and said thank you. Politely.

But inside I was doing that dance. The same one you do inside when walking past all the poor suckers without fastpasses.

Why DOES anyone wait in line for an hour to ride a ride? Some rides make you question why you would wait more than five minutes . . .

BUT, that nice lady did remind me that I needed to feed my little kittens this evening. So, I got everyone settled. Gave the kids a bag of goldfish to distract them with the ducks, and went to the grocery store.

Where I got twenty limes. Chocolate milk. BBQ Fritos. Some paper towels. And some other stuff, including a small notebook upon which I could take notes the whole week. So I wouldn't forget ANYTHING. Because I know you all want DETAILS.

Unfortunately. Once I got back to the villa I thought that the notebook hadn't actually made it into any of my bags. So I only summarized when not doing something else, into my larger, but not too large notebook, and when back at the villa. But I took lots of pictures. Until the last day.

But I digress.

I got back to the villa around 7, made the kids change into long pants, just in case (and, as it turns out, completely without need), and made the executive decision that we weren't going to stop at the poolside grill at OKW, but would instead hit the poolside grill at the Beach Club. For dinner. On the dining plan. Which I had PAID for.

We were off for our first Disney adventure. And we told the kids that they were going to get to see fireworks and ride a boat! They were excited . . .

Are we ever going to eat? Where are we going? Do we get to see Fireworks? (Page 10, Post 148)
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-18-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #145
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

Keeping detailed notes is quite important. Especially when you are trying to deconstruct said notes to make a trip report. That people besides family will read. On our trip we left on a Thursday -- I did not even start taking notes until the following Wednesday. Which is why my notes of MNSSHP consists of three lines. Somehow though I have managed to stretch those 3 lines into 2 installments of my trip report. Such talent!

Looking forward to the next installment!
Coronado Springs - April 2013; AKL - CL - Feb 2013; ASMo - Dec 2012; AoA, BWV & CR - Sept/Oct 2012; POR - May/June 2012; All star Sports - April 2012; BC - Feb 2012; Caribbean Beach - Dec 2011; AKL - Nov 2011; Offsite - Oct 2011; POP & WL - Aug/Sept 2011; Offsite June/July 2011; POFQ- Sept 2009; Coronado Springs - Sept 2007; Offsite - Jan 2007; POFQ - Sept 2006

Old 10-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #146
brandt79
Mostly a lurker, sometimes a poster!
We "show-me-staters" tend to take things personally

Amy! Loving it so far - your descriptions make me feel like I'm right there with you - and I love that you were secretly thinking "nah nah nah boo boo" to that lady with no ADR. Sheesh, some people

Walt Disney World
Dec 1988-Hilton at Downtown Disney ~ May 1996-off-site ~ June 2000-Wilderness Lodge ~ May 2001-Marriott at Downtown Disney ~ Nov/Dec 2005-Grand Floridian SLC & DCL (honeymoon) ~ May 2006-Polynesian ~ Nov 2006-Beach Club ~ Sept/Oct 2007-Polynesian/Grand Floridian
Old 10-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #147
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

I took notes some what that way to. But some turned out like Haley note book and couldn't for the life of me understand what I wrote down.

Can't wait to see what the kids think of the parks.

Last edited by NAB; 10-18-2006 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I hope you didn't put those lovely dresses in a plastic bag.....Or you would have to iron on vacation. Not good.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #148
GeorgiaAristocat
Cl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Are we ever going to eat? Where are we going? Do we get to see Fireworks?

After changing the kids into long pants and loading them up in the car (with a cup of chocolate milk for the Shrimp. Don't leave home without it . . .), we headed off in the direction of the Beach and Yacht clubs. Which we had found earlier, during our tour of Disney property.

Strangely. While I had the map showing where to go, I think I SKIPPED the first street (that takes you under the water bridge) and entered the circle from the other side. You know. The long way around.

We stopped first at the Yacht club. The nice gentleman there stated that the lot was full (funny, I wonder what all those empty spaces are then?) and that we would need to go to the Beach club. And he gave us directions. (Turn right, look for the sign).

We almost got lost again, but pulled it out at the last second. Only to encounter at the Beach club a very harried attendant who rolled her eyes when we told her what the Yacht club had said. It somewhat confirmed our suspicions that somehow the guy at the Yacht club could look at us and TELL that I used plastic grocery store bags as luggage. And we were rejected. On sight.

But the Beach club was far more accommodating. And let us park. So that we could hike the 2 miles to the entrance. I learned my lesson. Valet is well worth the money. Although I do feel sorry for them having to drive the disaster area that is my van.

I had remembered to give the kids dollar store glow stuff, too. That might have been another clue that the Yacht club attendant picked up on. So the kids were happily bouncing along (no stroller, as we were supposed to be getting on a boat. That might have been a mistake) and Boost and I were trying to ignore our tummies.

The beach club is very nice. Classy even.

I walked quickly through and to the outside, looking for the dock. I didn't want to miss our boat and it was 7:30 by then, at least. Then I realized that Boost had been distracted by the smell of food. Coming from Cape May. Where he thought we might be able to catch a bite. I informed him that sadly, NO, we would not be eating there. Then I dragged him outside, too.

We found Hurricane Hanna's and I abandoned Boost with the kids to locate the proper boat launch location. And told him where to meet me. I thought.

This would be the first instance wherein I wished that Boost and I had discussed the need for BOTH of us to carry cell phones on this trip. I really need to have that talk with him before our next vacation.

After locating the proper dock, I headed back, expecting a grilled chicken sandwich to be waiting on me. Instead, I found Boost and the kids walking towards me. Empty handed. After walking the LONG pier, that they didn't need to walk.

The Bob Evans lunch was a distant memory at this point. And Hurricane Hanna's stops serving food at around 5:30 p.m. (What's up with that?) Boost was getting a teensy bit irate.

So they sent us inside to the general store. That also had some pre-made sandwiches and such. and some soup. for Boost.

The sandwiches were fine. Good even. We scarfed food and headed back to the docks. To check in. And meet up with the person who had REALLY reserved the fireworks cruise.

Okay. I know that, especially on this board, many people "find" each other to share these excursions. I actually met the other family with whom we were to share this cruise through a different Disney chat board. And I was looking forward to meeting them in person. Really I was.

We arrived at the dock to check in and there was NO group of people that matched the description of the other family. I was flummoxed. And the cast members could see my confusion. So, they asked if we needed help. I told them I was there to meet another family, but didn't see them. They were very helpful.

End result: the family with whom I had made arrangements had reservations for the NEXT night. (I have checked since we got home, and I was given the wrong date, it was their mistake, not mine, which vindicated me a bit. After the fact.) But at that point, I REALLY REALLY wanted to meet them. To give them a piece of my mind. or maybe a little somethin' somethin' special. Too.

I really do not know what expression crossed my face when the error was discovered. I know with whom I was speaking. And he quickly guessed that we had made the arrangements through a chat board. I do know that the kids were in the background, being as good as a two and four year old that had been cooped up in a car and who had been told they were going on a boat to see fireworks could be. While they were standing right next to any number of boats. Meaning: slightly hyper, but not overly loud or running around.

But Captain Jason, with whom I was speaking, told me the reservation was for the next night. And, as I am want to do, just like with the nice man who checked us in at OKW, I started babbling. About how it wasn't Disney's problem that there had been an error in communication. How I really appreciated their help. How it was just going to be too bad for the other family, because we couldn't go the next night, etc.

And he was genuinely concerned. After a brief conversation, he asked me what we were doing that night.

I explained that we just got into town, this was our plan for the night, so I guessed we would be going back to our room. And I wasn't crying. Yet.

And then, Tinkerbell flew by (I'm certain I saw something glimmering, more than the glow necklaces) and sprinkled pixie dust on us.

Because Captain Jason said that he was going to make sure we saw the fireworks. To just hang around, that there was another family that was supposed to come, but that he would personally take us to see the fireworks.

I almost started crying. I'm sure that tears pooled in my eyes. And I started thanking him profusely.

Because he made sure I wasn't going to have to tell my kids that we weren't going to see fireworks that night after all.

How to Turn a Frown Upside Down (Page 12, Post 167)
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 10-23-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #149
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

Don't you just love that Disney Pixie Dust?! Why don't they have that in Georgia as well?!
Coronado Springs - April 2013; AKL - CL - Feb 2013; ASMo - Dec 2012; AoA, BWV & CR - Sept/Oct 2012; POR - May/June 2012; All star Sports - April 2012; BC - Feb 2012; Caribbean Beach - Dec 2011; AKL - Nov 2011; Offsite - Oct 2011; POP & WL - Aug/Sept 2011; Offsite June/July 2011; POFQ- Sept 2009; Coronado Springs - Sept 2007; Offsite - Jan 2007; POFQ - Sept 2006

Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #150
thmar
DIS Veteran

Wonderful trip report...looking forward to the rest

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

God Bless...

thmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: